Official Dopey 2018 Thread

I really am a fan of the Port Orleans resort, at least I was for Riverside, and from what everyone has said, the smaller size of French Quarter definitely has it's perks.
We've done POFQ a couple times -- once for a run, the Splash-n-Dash Wine & Dine. Love how generally quiet it is regardless of the reason for the trip, and the smaller size was fantastic for the running weekend.

We're trying out Caribbean Beach Resort for Dopey 2018, but a recent email appears that they could have some construction going on, FYI. Sounds like they're expanding the main dining areas and that it may be part of the rumored skyway that might connect some of the resorts to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. Depending on how that plays out through the year we may elect to move resorts; though, on the other hand, May-June guests are apparently being compensated $75/day gift cards to offset the expected disruptions, so maybe we'll stick it out and deal with a bit of noise to have our food comped.

My wife has also been looking at Boardwalk area as well, any with any pros/cons of this area?

My wife has also been looking at Boardwalk area as well, any with any pros/cons of this area?

In general, I LOVE any of the Boardwalk/Epcot resorts. Walk or boat ride to both Epcot and DHS. Stuff to do right on the boardwalk for when you're hanging out at the resort. That being said, I haven't been in that area for a race weekend, so I don't know how the race transportation is.

I'm also looking at the Boardwalk area or I love the thought of staying at Wilderness Lodge, as I have always wanted to stay there. Which one would be best?

Depending on your location in the resort, the running of the 10k can be quite loud early in the morning on Friday for those trying to sleep in.

I'm also looking at the Boardwalk area or I love the thought of staying at Wilderness Lodge, as I have always wanted to stay there. Which one would be best?

We stayed at the BW for last years W&D and have reservations there again this year.

Transportation can be a bit clunky.... it is shared between Swan and Dolphin ... I don't recall if BC and YC were included too, but it wouldn't surprise me. It's only an issue getting back from the 10K ... after the half, you can just walk trough Epcot.

That said, we like the proximity to HS and Epcot, the spa at BC and just the BW options in general.

The proximity to Epcot/HS was one of the things I was looking at. I wasn't sure about the transportation. My wife was saying that if she stayed there, she could probably see me on the run there, but wouldn't make it to the finish area. To be honest, rather have the kids there for the finish :)

I decided that "one day" I wanted to try Dopey after I was around all the Dopey bibs for the 5k/10k that overlapped my family's trip this year. I'd been eyeing 2019 but I couldn't resist the temptation of the anniversary year and am in for Dopey!

I looked at the Galloway and Higdon Dopey training plans and some other marathon plans quite a bit before deciding to sign up but what other plans are people using? I'm doing DL challenge and then 5k + challenge at W&D and those seem like they'll set me up nicely.

We stayed at the BW for last years W&D and have reservations there again this year.

Transportation can be a bit clunky.... it is shared between Swan and Dolphin ... I don't recall if BC and YC were included too, but it wouldn't surprise me. It's only an issue getting back from the 10K ... after the half, you can just walk trough Epcot.

That said, we like the proximity to HS and Epcot, the spa at BC and just the BW options in general.

My experience on transportation is very smooth for the mornings, only stop was at our hotel and filled up and headed to Epcot. On the way back it was a pain with the multiple stops, as I just wanted to be back at the hotel in the shower and laying down in a bed rather that stopping at multiple hotels (and of course mine was the last this year at YC).

For my family we stay at BW area marathon weekend. They get to sleep in and walk out to see me at mile 25. I get a good pick-me-up for seeing them for the last miles in.

So, RawThreads (who I signed up with) got their Active links on Friday so now I'm really in. I mean I was in before but the active link makes it more official. I also got my pin pack (hoping for logos). Does anyone have any idea when CHEAR Squad registration usually opens?

For me the Pro is the CON and vise versa. I checked into BC marathon morning and we decided to visit EPCOT that day. Great if you want to be at the end of a very large marathon. I kinda liked it. I was cheering on the runners in the back of the pack, high fiving them as they came by and generally not bothered by the crowds.

Bad if you don't want to be swamped by a gazillion people watching the tail end of the marathon and then staying at EPCOT to enjoy the day you may reconsider the area. Very busy and packed with semi-sweaty people. Wife and daughter did not like it. EPCOT was crowded and that crowd spilled into the BC/BW area. I assume the other races may have similar crowds.

Not a big deal for me, YMMV.

I looked at the Galloway and Higdon Dopey training plans and some other marathon plans quite a bit before deciding to sign up but what other plans are people using?
I signed up and had a custom training plan made for me thru the Jeff Galloway website. It was made by JG running coach, Chris Twiggs. I am pretty happy with it. He monitors my runs thru Garmin Connect and a site called Final Surge and texts and emails about my progress. And on Tuesdays we have a video chat to discuss how things are going, answer any questions I have and make any adjustments to my plan he or I want. It was $98 for 6 months.

@DopeyBadger enjoys making custom running plans for people (for free, bless his heart!). I only went with the JG one because it focuses on interval running and that is what I needed. :)

I decided that "one day" I wanted to try Dopey after I was around all the Dopey bibs for the 5k/10k that overlapped my family's trip this year. I'd been eyeing 2019 but I couldn't resist the temptation of the anniversary year and am in for Dopey!

I looked at the Galloway and Higdon Dopey training plans and some other marathon plans quite a bit before deciding to sign up but what other plans are people using? I'm doing DL challenge and then 5k + challenge at W&D and those seem like they'll set me up nicely.

Congrats on signing up for Dopey!

I personally made my own training plan based on a variety of sources (link). It was custom to me based on a myriad of factors, but the concepts and ideas behind the plan are translatable to others. I've gained a lot of experience making custom training plans for others and I'm happy to make something for you if you'd like. As @Dis5150 points out, I think customization of a training plan to you is a critical component to having the best running experience, whether that's through me or with a real professional coach like she did.

I make my own training plans, but they're mostly a mix of Galloway and Higdon styles. For me, the key is using past experience to know what style works best for me (i.e.: my body likes a two-week cycle with cut-backs every other week, plenty of back-to-backs, and built-in cross-training), and then working backward from race weekend to plan out a schedule that fits into my life.

Anyone have any experiences with the Revel race series and using it as a POT submission? I'm likely doing the Utah race after Disneyland Half weekend - trying to see if I can squeak out my best time to submit.

The downhill aspect resonated well with me and would be at the peak of my training.

Thoughts?

Anyone have any experiences with the Revel race series and using it as a POT submission? I'm likely doing the Utah race after Disneyland Half weekend - trying to see if I can squeak out my best time to submit.

The downhill aspect resonated well with me and would be at the peak of my training.

Thoughts?
My high school cross country did the full with them 2 years ago I think it was, in Colorado and his quads were hurtin after, now he is used to 100 milers and winning them. His now wife was signed up for the half but there was some sort of bus snafu issue (since it's point to point and they bus you to the top) if I remember correctly and she didn't get to even start. I think a lot were mad due to the half issue. It's like they didn't have enough buses for people, I know there's articles from it as I read them after. That's all I know of them & it was 2 yrs ago I think, maybe 3 so hopefully they have it better together now and that was just a fluke.

Did anyone pre-order the Champion jacket from previous Dopey's and have a picture of it they could post?? TIA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter