OFFICIAL Jan 2011 Half Marathon, Full Marathon, Dopey or Goofy Challenge Thread

KAA1972

Mouseketeer
I'm a newbie poster on the Dis even though I've been lurking for awhile. I am running the half marathon January 2011 and my hubby is going Goofy. I got a ton of support from reading the Princess Half Marathon thread prior to the Princess Half Marathon this year. So, I decided to start this thread for anyone who wants a little support for race day!!

I'm definitely not a Marathon expert but hopefully some experienced Disney marathoners will join us!

Good luck with training!!!

Ok, so I'm asking this question for a friend who is not on the dis. Would WDW stop someone from entering the corrals for the half with a stroller? I said "yes" that I thought they would either stop someone from entering corrals or pull you off the course but my friend is an experienced half-marathon/marathoner and he said almost all races state that they 'do not allow strollers' yet there are always tons of strollers and no one says anything.

I ran the Princess Half last year and it was definitely one of the most congested races I have ever ran. I really felt that WDW would pull someone off the course but curious if anyone has ever seen anyone run the half or full with a stroller.....

Some races will allow strollers to start in the back, Disney is not one of them. I have never heard of anyone being allowed on the course with a stroller for marathon weekend and would be very surprised if they would allow it.

Some races will allow strollers to start in the back, Disney is not one of them. I have never heard of anyone being allowed on the course with a stroller for marathon weekend and would be very surprised if they would allow it.

I agree with you. I know I've seen many races with strollers but I just don't get the vibe that Disney would ever allow this. I would feel horrible if my friend paid the entrance feel and arrived with the stroller and was told 'no" because there is no way you could get back to the hotel to drop off the baby without missing the start time.

I'm hoping he will call the Race office and ask before making a final decision.

I'm a newbie poster on the Dis even though I've been lurking for awhile. I am running the half marathon January 2011 and my hubby is going Goofy. I got a ton of support from reading the Princess Half Marathon thread prior to the Princess Half Marathon this year. So, I decided to start this thread for anyone who wants a little support for race day!!

I'm definitely not a Marathon expert but hopefully some experienced Disney marathoners will join us!

Good luck with training!!!

Hi KAA1972,

I'm pretty new to DIS too but have already been given lots of good advice from the nice folks on here :)

I'm doing the Half in Jan, my first half and my first time at the WDW Marathon Weekend, very excited :yay: DH is doing the Marathon :worship: and DD is doing the 100 Metre Dash, how cute is that!!

Subscribing :yay:

Disney would pull unentered strollers off course. Frankly if one was on course I would point them out to race officials as there are way too many pinch points on course for the added traffic. Here is the language from the web-site

Are there any other restrictions I should know about?
For the safety of yourself and the other participants, baby joggers, strollers, baby carriers, baby backpacks, inline skates, motorized scooters, bicycles, skateboards and animals of any kind are prohibited from the course. If you are seen in violation of one these you will be removed from the course and transported to the finish line.

I guess they could point to the Hoyts as why they should be allowed. But the difference between a mom/dad pushing junior and the Hoyts is that Rick (the son) is an entrant in the event.

Besides, I really get upset when passed in a stroller or pet friendly race by one of these people.

Hi KAA1972,

I'm pretty new to DIS too but have already been given lots of good advice from the nice folks on here :)

I'm doing the Half in Jan, my first half and my first time at the WDW Marathon Weekend, very excited :yay: DH is doing the Marathon :worship: and DD is doing the 100 Metre Dash, how cute is that!!

Subscribing :yay:

Welcome, Belle!!! So, glad you joined! You will LOVE running the Disney Half --there are so many great character experiences that it makes the race fly by! My hubby is doing the half and full. We are bringing the nanny to watch DD while we run the half. I hadn't thought about enrolling our DD (2.5) in a race - -- but yes, that is super cute! You are going to have some great pics!!

Disney would pull unentered strollers off course. Frankly if one was on course I would point them out to race officials as there are way too many pinch points on course for the added traffic. Here is the language from the web-site

I guess they could point to the Hoyts as why they should be allowed. But the difference between a mom/dad pushing junior and the Hoyts is that Rick (the son) is an entrant in the event.

Besides, I really get upset when passed in a stroller or pet friendly race by one of these people.

I agree. I think the Hoyts are a completely different situation. Plus, the first 3-6 miles of the Princess half were so congested that I could barely run on the road. I was always stepping off into the grass to pass and praying that I didn't twist an ankle. I think I ran the first two miles completely on the grass on the side of the road.

I'm joining in! The entire family is heading down for Marathon weekend this year. My 3 kids are doing the Mickey Mile, DH is signed up for the half, and I'm running my first full marathon. I've run 3 previous halfs (the DL Half, the Baltimore Half, and last years's DW Half in the snow.) I'm really nervous about the full but figure it is about time! I need all the support I can get! Training officially starts next week:eek:

I'm joining in! The entire family is heading down for Marathon weekend this year. My 3 kids are doing the Mickey Mile, DH is signed up for the half, and I'm running my first full marathon. I've run 3 previous halfs (the DL Half, the Baltimore Half, and last years's DW Half in the snow.) I'm really nervous about the full but figure it is about time! I need all the support I can get! Training officially starts next week:eek:

Welcome, welcome!!! So glad you are here!

Welcome, Belle!!! So, glad you joined! You will LOVE running the Disney Half --there are so many great character experiences that it makes the race fly by! My hubby is doing the half and full. We are bringing the nanny to watch DD while we run the half. I hadn't thought about enrolling our DD (2.5) in a race - -- but yes, that is super cute! You are going to have some great pics!!

Very excited about the Half in Jan, in fact the whole WDW Marathon Weekend really :yay: I've always wanted to take part and now I'm finally doing it.

We arrive in Orlando on 1st Jan and I posted a thread asking people on here where is good to do a few training runs, got some great ideas like round Boardwalk/Swan and Dolphin etc so will get to see some of the resorts I've never been to which will be great :)

There will be just me, DH and DD so when I do my half and DH does his marathon we'll have to go on our own (far to early to get DD up and out!), hoping it won't be too scary getting there on my own, sure there will be plenty of other people on their own too that i can chat too.

You should definately think about entering your DD in the race for her age catergory, super super cute and they get a t-shirt, medal and goody bag, I'm sure she would love it :cutie:

I am sure I answered you other post but want to ask where you are staying. I have run from most all resorts at one time or the other. Some, like the Epcot area resorts have a great place to run. Others are rather limited.

As far as figuring out where to go on race morning - follow the crowd. You cannot go wrong as there are not many non-racing folks out at 3 in the morning.

Hello! :wave:

I am running the half. :thumbsup2 I just started running in January and haven't even been in my first race yet! I have a 5k and a 10k in October. Very excited for the experience. :cool1:

It's not just the stroller people Charles. Getting passed by the guy in a gorilla suit or the backwards joggler or the giant banana isn't much fun either. :)

I'm doing the half in January too!!! It's my first and I am so excited. I am not a runner, yet, but will be by Jan. I am getting serious with my running this week. I was going to put off my training today because of the rain but have decided it's too much of a lame excuse. So while my son is at his football practice for 1 & 1/2 hours I'll be attempting to run. I've been doing the couch to 5k but not regularly enough so I'm going to finish it up in the next couple of weeks and go right into the 10k program. Wish me luck!

I'm subscribing! I'm doing the full for the first time in January - well my first full ever so I'd love to hear any tips from past veterans. I've done the half in 2009 and 2010.

I am sure I answered you other post but want to ask where you are staying. I have run from most all resorts at one time or the other. Some, like the Epcot area resorts have a great place to run. Others are rather limited.

As far as figuring out where to go on race morning - follow the crowd. You cannot go wrong as there are not many non-racing folks out at 3 in the morning.

Cewait, you did answer one of my other posts, and I'm so glad you did, super helpful, thankyou. We're staying at the Pop Century but have a car so going to do a few training runs at other resorts before the big day. Will be going to the start of the half on my own but as you say I'll just follow the crowd and as DH says I could talk a glass eye to sleep :laughing: I'm sure I'll find someone to chat to :)

I'm doing the half in January too!!! It's my first and I am so excited. I am not a runner, yet, but will be by Jan. I am getting serious with my running this week. I was going to put off my training today because of the rain but have decided it's too much of a lame excuse. So while my son is at his football practice for 1 & 1/2 hours I'll be attempting to run. I've been doing the couch to 5k but not regularly enough so I'm going to finish it up in the next couple of weeks and go right into the 10k program. Wish me luck!

Good Luck!! You'll be a running pro before you know it!! I just started building up my base mileage again. I'll start "official" training mid-end of Sept.

I talked to a friend who runs half marathons and she said she aims to be running 6 miles before a half and then just kicks it in for the half. Does it really get easier when you are up to running 6 miles????? Seems to me like going from 6 to 13.1 is a HUGE jump even if just for one day. I have a 4.2 mile loop from my house I've been walking for years and walk it in about an hour so my goal is to be able to run it once, stop at my house for a quick water break and run it again. If I can do this before the half, do you think I'll be able to kick it in for that one day and do it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter