OFFICIAL January 2012 5K, Half Marathon, Marathon, Goofy or Dopey Challenge Thread

My wife and I are doing the half on Saturday. I can’t believe I let her talk me into this…we’ve never done running until 3 months ago. We did 8 miles Friday, 9 yesterday (in 1:47-not good but OK considering how tough it’s been to find time to run), and planning 10 either tomorrow or Wednesday. I’m told if you can do 10 in practice that you can do 13 on a race day.
We leave Thursday afternoon and arrive Friday afternoon. Staying at Coronado Springs for the 1st time for 3 nights…using the 30% room only discount.
We haven’t bought park tickets yet. How do we get the runners discount on them? We’d like a one day for Saturday after the race (if we have enough energy left) and a park hopper for Sunday.

First of all, I am sure she did not need to talk all that hard. It's Disney

More importantly

DO NOT RUN 10 Miles in the morning! You are running way too many miles too close to the race. If you have to run tomorrow, - well don't. Run Friday afternoon to stretch you legs out after the trip and call it great for this week. Your body needs some time to recover. You are only giving it 3-4 days and that after long running two other runs in short order. You have more than enough long miles to get to the end.

With regard to tix, there is a link somewhere for discounted admission this weekend, be aware that hopping may not be easy on Sunday due to the marathon running and tying up traffic in and out to AK (if that is on your list).

Good luck this weekend and get some rest

My wife and I are doing the half on Saturday. I can’t believe I let her talk me into this…we’ve never done running until 3 months ago. We did 8 miles Friday, 9 yesterday (in 1:47-not good but OK considering how tough it’s been to find time to run), and planning 10 either tomorrow or Wednesday. I’m told if you can do 10 in practice that you can do 13 on a race day.
We leave Thursday afternoon and arrive Friday afternoon. Staying at Coronado Springs for the 1st time for 3 nights…using the 30% room only discount.
We haven’t bought park tickets yet. How do we get the runners discount on them? We’d like a one day for Saturday after the race (if we have enough energy left) and a park hopper for Sunday.

You don't have time to recover from these late efforts. You are already in as good a shape as you will be by Sat. Run a 4 miler and a 2 miler, then do your best Saturday.

What's the best way for my spectator to get to the MK if she wants to sleep in? We're staying at Pop Century. It will be nearly 8:00 by the time I hit Main St. I know traffic closes to Epcot, but is there early bus service to the MK?

Ronda

ETA: I see the bus service is suspended 5:00-7:00. Can she leave Pop and get to Main St by 7:45-8:00?

What's the best way for my spectator to get to the MK if she wants to sleep in? We're staying at Pop Century. It will be nearly 8:00 by the time I hit Main St. I know traffic closes to Epcot, but is there early bus service to the MK?

Ronda

ETA: I see the bus service is suspended 5:00-7:00. Can she leave Pop and get to Main St by 7:45-8:00?

It is possible... Some years the buses start back up a little early. But there is an almost equal chance of not making it, also. Mary has made it to the TTC most years but that was pre-wave.

Better bet would be to grab a cab to the TTC at 0630. She would get there around 0700 and then have an hour to grab a monorail up to the MK and get situated.

Have her look around in the lobby, there is a high likelihood of splitting a fare

Still got a stiff left ankle. Wondering if i can make a 16 min mile? Anyone staying at the Gaylord Hotel?

Ran 10K on the treadmill yesterday and 5k today - no more running until the 1/2 - yeah! I'm so sick of my treadmill! I need to move somewhere I won't freeze this time of year. We're leaving tomorrow and meeting our friends on thursday - can't wait!

Good luck to all!

AFTER all racing is complete, when is itsafe to take NSAIDS? 2 hours after? 6 hours after? 12 hours after?

AFTER all racing is complete, when is itsafe to take NSAIDS? 2 hours after? 6 hours after? 12 hours after?

It really depends on when you get back to normal.... i.e. kidneys functioning, etc...

From the Race Doctor

"it is recommended that on race day
(specifically beginning midnight before you
run) you DO NOT use anything but
acetaminophen (Tylenol®) if needed until
6 hours after you have finished the race,
are able to drink without any nausea or
vomiting, have urinated once, and feel
physically and mentally back to normal.
Then, a NSAID would be beneficial in
preventing post-event muscle soreness."

I need a refresher on driving logistics on race morning (and hopefully others do too). Which is the way to go, and which is the way to avoid? What time should I shoot for arriving at the parking lot (assuming no sudden influx of inclement weather)? I'm coming from Wyndham Bonnet Creek so actual drive time should be minimal. Are there any post-race traffic tips or just hope it doesn't suck too much?

I will be arriving Saturday morning by car, maybe 8 am. Any chance I run into problems heading to the expo/pop resort due to the half?

I need a refresher on driving logistics on race morning (and hopefully others do too). Which is the way to go, and which is the way to avoid? What time should I shoot for arriving at the parking lot (assuming no sudden influx of inclement weather)? I'm coming from Wyndham Bonnet Creek so actual drive time should be minimal. Are there any post-race traffic tips or just hope it doesn't suck too much?

I am a 0330 person, aiming to arrive then. No riding the breaks in a long line. You could arrive as late as 0400 with no real issue - most years. I just try to take that variable out of the equation.

From the Resort, take Buena Vista to the west. You will pass CBR,, the fire house, Hess Station, Boardwalk, DHS and then the Swan. There are two traffic lights for the BW and DHS. The second light is for the back stage area of DHS and the Swan. Immediately after this light, be in the right lane and exit to the right onto World Dr. From here stay in the right lane because less than a mile down the road you will exit to go to Epcot Parking.

I will be arriving Saturday morning by car, maybe 8 am. Any chance I run into problems heading to the expo/pop resort due to the half?

Assuming you are coming down I4 , no. Just exit and follow signs to the ESPN WWoS. The race will tie up World and Epcot Drives.

From the Resort, take Buena Vista to the west. You will pass CBR,, the fire house, Hess Station, Boardwalk, DHS and then the Swan. There are two traffic lights for the BW and DHS. The second light is for the back stage area of DHS and the Swan. Immediately after this light, be in the right lane and exit to the right onto World Dr. From here stay in the right lane because less than a mile down the road you will exit to go to Epcot Parking.

Buena Vista Dr. can really back up at the World Dr. intersection/on ramp. The stop and go on World Dr. has a way of backing up way onto Buena Vista. What works seamlessly at 3:25 a.m. may be hellish at 3:40 a.m. If you are on the road at this intersection at 3:45 you are likely to get to the start, but it might not feel that way.

5 1/2 mile run this morning, -1F, I am so ready for some warmer weather.

We are 2.5hrs. SW of WDW and I'm freezing right now at 52F.:lmao: Been down here since '86 and I think my blood needs some antifreeze.

No problem with any traffic at 2:30AM when we drive from FW to EPCOT in motorhome. Get a great up-front parking spot that early.:rotfl:

I whole heartedly agree that early is better than late. If I am driving I really want the short walk.

New here and excited about my first Disney race. I am doing Leg #1 of the Chip and Dale. I guess that makes me Chip. Thanks for all the great info on these boards!

I am a 0330 person, aiming to arrive then. No riding the breaks in a long line. You could arrive as late as 0400 with no real issue - most years. I just try to take that variable out of the equation.

Buena Vista Dr. can really back up at the World Dr. intersection/on ramp. The stop and go on World Dr. has a way backing up way onto Buena Vista. What works seamlessly at 3:25 a.m. may be hellish at 3:40 a.m. If you are on the road at this intersection at 3:45 you are likely to get to the start, but it might not feel that way.

Thanks, both. I'll definitely aim on the earlier side!

So.... you have the brown nose?:confused3

:rotfl2:

Charles, are there any guesses for Goofy bib numbers and corrals? DH is checking the main page and commented "one bib, one bag check sticker - and the bag is a clear bag" (all of which I told him!)

He first thought numbers were assigned when you registered. Then he thought it was due to your age!

So thanks to your posting your age on another thread, I blew that theory out of the water for him :rotfl2: ( your #22683 - he is 25110) His main concern is he is once again leading Chris - 2 years ago they had similiar times and knew they'd be in the same corral (- the legally blind runner - DH helped Chris 2 years ago - and dh has 10 min mile times.)

DH registered 5/27 (I think this may be his way of obsessing about something - I told him I'd ask!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter