Official July 2018 Thread!

Hello fellow July travelers! I just booked our trip last night. :banana: 7/15-7/21 at the Dolphin. First time in the Epcot resort area so would love to hear any experiences/tips! Not sure about ADRs yet. We're not huge eaters (i.e., I feel like a lot of the more expensive TS restaurants aren't worth it for us), but we do enjoy the experiences. May do Garden Grill because we haven't visited with Chip and Dale in a while. :-) Looking forward to planning with you all. :wave:

The Epcot resort area is awesome. We stayed at the Boardwalk last trip & loved it. If you go to the BW, try the ice cream at Ample Hills. I couldn’t get enough of the Oooey Gooey Butter cake ice cream. We also really liked the Bon Voyage character breakfast. Being able to walk to Epcot was great or take the boat go HS. You’re going to have a great trip.

Ok. I made changes to our plans. It seems like I do this all the time! First of all, I switched our flight times around. Changed from a late night Thursday flight to a super early Friday flight to Orlando. This saves us from staying at the airport Hilton on Thursday night and then having to schlep our own bags to the DME on Friday morning, plus the expense of the hotel on Thursday night. Originally, the early morning flight was priced quite high, but I check SW almost daily and suddenly the priced dropped almost in half. Our flight gets into Orlando at 9:30 am, so we are good with that. Plus, I switched us from the WL to the Poly. I thought we should try something new this year, but my family really loves the Poly. Luckily, my TA still had a good deal available for the same dates.

Do most people make plans and stick to them or do you change things around? I make ADRs soon and I am certain I will end up re-doing those as well!

Amy

I usually change ADRs, park days, & fastpasses around a bunch. I guess flights too. I’m always looking for the prices to drop on SW. this trip is supposed to be more laidback so maybe I won’t change stuff around as much.

The Epcot resort area is awesome. We stayed at the Boardwalk last trip & loved it. If you go to the BW, try the ice cream at Ample Hills. I couldn’t get enough of the Oooey Gooey Butter cake ice cream. We also really liked the Bon Voyage character breakfast. Being able to walk to Epcot was great or take the boat go HS. You’re going to have a great trip.

Thank you! My son's favorite thing is ice cream, so we will have to check out Ample Hills!

Stayed at BWV in October and that whole area was just awesome. Lots to do on the boardwalk. The magicians and other performers were very entertaining. Great to walk to Epcot and HS. It’s an area I would definitely stay at multiple times. I hear Il Mulino (or whatever it is called) is a decent Italian place at either swan or dolphin (not sure which). Flying fish is right there and very good and so is trattoria al forno. Even with lots of nightlife we never heard any noise.

Thank you! Really looking forward to exploring that area. I'm taking note of the restaurants you recommended!

I feel like I need a mic to drop haha!

We have seven people, but when we booked we had six, and we've been talking about getting a second suite anyway just to spread out. So between yesterday and today I was able to book a second suite and get the room we needed for the three of us coming down the night before. It sounds easy when I write it out but since we all know how the Disney website (and trying to call) can be it was pretty persnickety and I'm proud of how easy it went. We realize we probably won't get rooms right next to each other but even just the same area of the hotel (AoA, we booked Lion King rooms so we know vaguely where we'll be at least) is a lot better than it was!

I feel like I need a mic to drop haha!

We have seven people, but when we booked we had six, and we've been talking about getting a second suite anyway just to spread out. So between yesterday and today I was able to book a second suite and get the room we needed for the three of us coming down the night before. It sounds easy when I write it out but since we all know how the Disney website (and trying to call) can be it was pretty persnickety and I'm proud of how easy it went. We realize we probably won't get rooms right next to each other but even just the same area of the hotel (AoA, we booked Lion King rooms so we know vaguely where we'll be at least) is a lot better than it was!
I am glad this all worked out for you. I had an issue with booking extra rooms last year at CSR. Half of my family had to do a split stay at POP and I wasn't able to add a day to my reservation either, so I did one night at POP too. Crazy! I think there was a convention at CSR that was blocking most of the rooms at the time most of my family decided to book. Nonetheless, we had a great trip, but this year we are not moving resorts! It was a pain.

I am glad this all worked out for you. I had an issue with booking extra rooms last year at CSR. Half of my family had to do a split stay at POP and I wasn't able to add a day to my reservation either, so I did one night at POP too. Crazy! I think there was a convention at CSR that was blocking most of the rooms at the time most of my family decided to book. Nonetheless, we had a great trip, but this year we are not moving resorts! It was a pain.

Oh that definitely sounds like a pain!

Those of us who are coming in early are split into two groups - one couple is going down on the Friday before our time in Disney starts and will spend Friday/Saturday visiting family and friends then will come to Orlando early on Sunday the 8th when our group trip starts. The second group is coming down the evening of the 7th and I'm part of that small group. A couple years ago I had to move my stuff from POR to POFQ and it wasn't horrible but not fun and last year I had issues when I moved from AKL to ASSp for a night so I made the executive decision that we'd book a room in the Little Mermaid section of AoA for a night. That way at least we're AT our hotel and can just leave our stuff with concierge rather than have to try and change it from one place to the other.

Oh that definitely sounds like a pain!

Those of us who are coming in early are split into two groups - one couple is going down on the Friday before our time in Disney starts and will spend Friday/Saturday visiting family and friends then will come to Orlando early on Sunday the 8th when our group trip starts. The second group is coming down the evening of the 7th and I'm part of that small group. A couple years ago I had to move my stuff from POR to POFQ and it wasn't horrible but not fun and last year I had issues when I moved from AKL to ASSp for a night so I made the executive decision that we'd book a room in the Little Mermaid section of AoA for a night. That way at least we're AT our hotel and can just leave our stuff with concierge rather than have to try and change it from one place to the other.
That is a great idea staying at the same resort. Everything for us worked out well, it was just a pain to have to repack and unpack. At least mine was only one night. My parents and sister had to do that mid trip and they hated it.

I just switched resorts from Art of Animation to Wilderness Lodge. I don't think I've ever even visited there and it seems more peaceful. I'm getting excited!

I just switched resorts from Art of Animation to Wilderness Lodge. I don't think I've ever even visited there and it seems more peaceful. I'm getting excited!
It is peaceful and still close to all the MK action. The boat to MK or Contemporary/FW is really convenient. I hope you enjoy it there!

It is peaceful and still close to all the MK action. The boat to MK or Contemporary/FW is really convenient. I hope you enjoy it there!
I love WL! The proximity to MK is wonderful and it is very quiet and peaceful. That was the first resort we stayed at as a family, so it is the resort that always comes to mind when I think of Disney. We have made lots of priceless memories at that resort. Can’t wait to stay there again soon!

Doing my happy dance this morning because DH suggested that we visit the first week of July. Pulled a few strings, and we were able to make it happen at Saratoga Springs! We will be bringing DS to celebrate his college graduation, and of course DD will be there to celebrate too. Happy, happy, happy!!

I'll be celebrating my 50th at WDW this year! My twins and I will be there June 30 - July 6 and we are staying at Pop Century. The only thing I have planned so far is 1 ADR for California Grill the night of my birthday July 5th. I didn't think I'd be going this year but my wonderful DH said I should go for my birthday as his present to me!

So I modified our ADRs this morning :laughing: . Cancelled Tusker House breakfast and booked both 1900 Park Fare breakfast and the Plaza dinner for our last day which will be our second MK day. There are so many awesome quick service options at AK that I decided we will go without ADRs that day. Also decided to cancel T Rex and try the well regarded Wolfgang Puck Express for dinner which takes the qsdp; and if we decide not to visit Disney Springs this trip we won’t have to worry about cancelling an ADR. Kept Chef Mickey’s breakfast since that’s our Disney trip tradition :earsgirl:, kept Sci Fi lunch, kept Be Our Guest lunch (which we’ll use our qsdp credits for), and kept the Beaches and Cream evening slot to get a kitchen sink on my birthday since we’ll be at Epcot that day and can walk over to the Beach Club :cake:. I planned these particular ADRs so that we will be able to have three meals a day without having to do a grocery order or pack food this trip; and also so we use up all of our qsdp meal credits over the course of seven days. I’m probably only going to order a couple cases of water and Gatorade. The only thing I’m concerned about is not using up all our snack credits. Our last trip was during the Flower and Garden festival and we used a good amount of snack credits at the food booths. We did use a lot of snack credits at Starbucks too so those will definitely come in handy for frappucinos :laughing:. Now my next planning obsession will be our FP+ picks when the times comes for that. The only thing I’m concerned about is Toy Story land at DHS. I know it will only be two new rides in that area but I anticipate the crowds being over the top there and my crew is all so excited about it. In addition to that, I still have a Disney Jr/Frozen fan, Star Wars fans, and TOT/Rock N’ Rollercoaster fans in my crew so that’s gonna be a busy day for us for sure!

So I modified our ADRs this morning :laughing: . Cancelled Tusker House breakfast and booked both 1900 Park Fare breakfast and the Plaza dinner for our last day which will be our second MK day. There are so many awesome quick service options at AK that I decided we will go without ADRs that day. Also decided to cancel T Rex and try the well regarded Wolfgang Puck Express for dinner which takes the qsdp; and if we decide not to visit Disney Springs this trip we won’t have to worry about cancelling an ADR. Kept Chef Mickey’s breakfast since that’s our Disney trip tradition :earsgirl:, kept Sci Fi lunch, kept Be Our Guest lunch (which we’ll use our qsdp credits for), and kept the Beaches and Cream evening slot to get a kitchen sink on my birthday since we’ll be at Epcot that day and can walk over to the Beach Club :cake:. I planned these particular ADRs so that we will be able to have three meals a day without having to do a grocery order or pack food this trip; and also so we use up all of our qsdp meal credits over the course of seven days. I’m probably only going to order a couple cases of water and Gatorade. The only thing I’m concerned about is not using up all our snack credits. Our last trip was during the Flower and Garden festival and we used a good amount of snack credits at the food booths. We did use a lot of snack credits at Starbucks too so those will definitely come in handy for frappucinos :laughing:. Now my next planning obsession will be our FP+ picks when the times comes for that. The only thing I’m concerned about is Toy Story land at DHS. I know it will only be two new rides in that area but I anticipate the crowds being over the top there and my crew is all so excited about it. In addition to that, I still have a Disney Jr/Frozen fan, Star Wars fans, and TOT/Rock N’ Rollercoaster fans in my crew so that’s gonna be a busy day for us for sure!
I feel the same way about Hollywood Studios. I would love to know what they are going to do with FP+ at that park.

Hello everyone. You can add us to the July list of visitors. We are booked for July 17th-25th at the Yacht Club. Can't wait to go back to my happy place as we have not been to Disney in quite some time. My older son (17) thinks he is too old for Disney :sad2: so we have been going to Universal, Busch Gardens in Tampa and Williamsburg, Cedar Point & Kings Dominion. So before he begins his last year of high school I talked him into going for mom :chat:. So the countdown is on....

Hello everyone. You can add us to the July list of visitors. We are booked for July 17th-25th at the Yacht Club. Can't wait to go back to my happy place as we have not been to Disney in quite some time. My older son (17) thinks he is too old for Disney :sad2: so we have been going to Universal, Busch Gardens in Tampa and Williamsburg, Cedar Point & Kings Dominion. So before he begins his last year of high school I talked him into going for mom :chat:. So the countdown is on....
We’re checking into the Polynesian on the 19th with our 20 year old and her bff. The last time we went was before her senior year too. We had a blast! There’s something special for every age. It’s definitely a different trip with older children, but awesome. This trip we have 2 rooms because we are celebrating our 25th Anniversary. We are spending most mornings together and most breakfast and dinners, but the rest of our time there the girls will have the freedom to do whatever they want. Now that my daughter is an adult, my husband and I are free to do as we please. I can’t wait.
Enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter