• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Star Wars Weekends 2014 Tips and Tricks -The Adventure Continues

Got back home a few hours ago. I'll have pictures over the next few days. Still downloading them from the SD card.

We did SSW this past Friday the 6th. I was excepting it to be a mob scene because Mark Hamill was going to be there. It wasn't as bad as I thought. My 12yo DS and I got up early and were on a bus for DHS by 7:05 (we were the only ones on the bus from our hotel, Art of Animation). Made it to DHS in just a few minutes because we are so close. Got off the bus and was surprised to find that we could line up 2nd in line at one of the band scan kiosks. The started letting people through just after 7:30. For some it was a mad dash to the rope where they have the Stormtrooper show. Even with me being in a scooter DS and I were still right up front. The show started at 7:42. (I checked time stamps from my pictures) That was a lot of fun. About 10 minutes later they dropped the rope. Some people started running and the CM's quickly put a stop to that. DS & I made our way to Chewbacca. At first we were 2nd in line, but apparently they wanted the line to start before the break in the line where the CM Entrance/Exit is, so even though we were the 2nd one's there we ended up 3rd in line. The CM let the family who was at the "correct" spot be first. Who knew!! At just before 8 they moved us up to the spot were we originally lined up ( :confused3 ) and Chewy came out at 8:03. Got some great pictures and selfies, then noticed that the line for Ewok Chip & Dale was pretty short. So we got in line for them. Again a great interaction. We made our way through the streets of America and it was just about empty then towards Toy Story. Saw Darth Vader and DS wanted to get in line for him. That line was a little longer but not terrible. Did have to wait for an extra 5-10 minutes while Vader went back to take his break. Had a great interaction with him too.

By this time it was only about 8:45. We started making our way back towards the hat to meet up with the rest of our party to have breakfast at H&V. The shady side of the parade route was pretty much full and it wasn't 9 yet. Same could also be said for the sunny side. I did find the Wheelchair area on the shady side and asked the CM if it was also for scooters he said absolutely. So I told him I'd be back shortly. Went and met DW and the kids. We had been renting 2 wheelchairs because my youngest had hurt his knee and my DD was having a real hard time with the heat. She was born with Down syndrome and low muscle tone is one of the issues individuals with DS have. Normally she's pretty good, but has always done worse in hot weather. So before checking in at H&V we put the scooter and wheelchairs in the WC section. I told the CM what we were doing and he said no problem. We went and checked in for breakfast. DW ate quickly then went to sit with the wheelchairs. When my father-in-law was done eating he went and relieved DW. Once we were all done we sat with the scooter and WC's and DW went and shopped for a bit. Carolc from here on the boards found us and we hung out with her for the parade and a little while afterwards. I got some great shots of the parade. The kids LOVED it.

Afterwards we split up between Indiana Jones and Playhouse Jr. Didn't get to do much other Star Wars stuff still after riding TSMM and doing a M&G with Buzz & Woody. Though on the way we did stop so I get a pic with Ventress & the kids I got a pic with one of the roaming Clone Troopers. Never saw any Jawa anywhere. After riding TSMM the Green Army Men were out and they were a blast. Darth Maul was next and it was no trouble getting in. I waited in line for Darth Goofy & Stormtrooper Donald while everyone else shopped. DW yelled at me because I didn't tell her in advance about 'Her Universe' stuff. :confused3 There were a few things she wanted but they didn't have her size. Oldest DS got a great jedi Mickey hat and the many faces of a Stormtrooper shirt and made his own lightsaber. Youngest DS got a Boba Fett gun. We had our pic taken as a family with Goofy & Donald, then I picked out a pin, t-shirt and a beach towel.

The kids were getting hungry so we ate at ABC Commissary. I was still pretty full so I just had the Dart Vader cupcake and a water. It was pretty good, but if it were chocolate instead of peanut butter it would have been perfect. We then rode Star Tours with our FP. DW wasn't sure if DD would like it or not, but she had a blast and wanted to do it again. (I heard later that there are 54 different video's they use). While the family shopped for more star wars stuff inside Tatooine Traders I went out and watched a bit of the Jedi Training then found the 5 Cantina Band members wandering around. I got a selfie with one, then saw there was a photo pass photographer there and asked him to take a pic for me and 2 other band members showed up. One kept walking very slowly back and forth in front of the camera. It was a fun interaction.

It was getting close to dinner time at Mama Melrose, so we made our way to Phineas & Ferb then Mater & Lightning. After dinner the kids were toast. My father-in-law took the kids back to the hotel, DW went off to shop before heading back. I went character hunting. Got a few selfies with a Tuskan Raider, Stormtrooper & Zam Wesell. Line for Boba Fett was real long, so I figured I go to the Art of Animation building to get Sorcerer Mickey and a few others, but I lost track of time and missed them by about 20 minutes.

Went back and waited for Jengo Fett, got in line for Kit Fisto, but he left while I was in line and Shaak Ti took his place, but I already had a pic with her, so I went to the other side and was able to get Captain Rex. After that I made my way out, I was tired and while I would have loved have watched the fireworks, I forgot to bring a tripod so I just went back to the hotel.

We didn't have any interest in the shows and the kids weren't as interested as I was in getting character photos. So I didn't get as many characters as I would have liked. Overall it was a fun day. My oldest was so tired he didn't even eat dinner, but he was happy I got him up early to get to the park at opening.

I got 19 (new to me) characters, 12 of them Star Wars Characters. :cool1:

It was great to meet you and your family, Kyle. Thank you so much for letting me sit in your shady spot - it was perfect! My photos aren't as good as yours but they came out pretty good. After we parted I grabbed some fries and went to wait for the Conversation with Mark Hamill. It was a fantastic show but a number of us FP+ holders were upset that the standby line was let in almost immediately, and since they didn't have to be scanned they made a dash for all the seats down in front center - I think I was about 15 rows back. For the SotS show, I just stood in standby. Didn't have to wait too long before they let us in - and again, the poor FP+ people were slow to be let in... not fair. I was further back in the theater, but it seemed to be sloped more so I could see the stage more clearly - but there was a pole in the way of each screen. Oh well, can't win them all. :) I had a fantastic day overall - it seems like it will be hard to top (seeing MH, BDW and RP!). I came back on Sunday and watched the parade outside the American Idol theater - it was blistering hot... and I didn't realize the motorcade would not pass by there, but since I saw them Fri it was fine. My friend and I mainly wanted to see the 501st (okay, and some Rebels, lol). I saw that they were going to sell the SW MagicBands - oh why couldn't they sell them the previous week? :( A few friends tried to buy me one but were denied. :sad: Overall a fantastic trip - I hope to be able to go back again another year.

BTW,

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but the photopass included in the FtF package is a generic code.

Oh, and coffee mugs are gone, right?

:cheer2: pixiedust: Yeah for Maybe! :cheer2: pixiedust:

I know it's a lot of work, you trying to keep up with all us people and our crazy questions... it's like a full time job I am sure, and I very much appreciate it! :flower3: I can't even think about how I would plan a Disney SWW trip without ya!

We have a BIG Star Wars year planned next year...

We will be going to Star Wars Celebration (well be there April 14th - 20th 2015 to give us time to pop over to Disneyland while we are there)

Then the BIG WDW 2 SWW 2015 trip end of May. Hopefully I will be marching in at least two different costume (maybe three if they ever let Mara march) and my boyfriend maybe three as well! (If ya wanna watch our costume progress "Like" my ENYO Cosplay FB page that I have linked in my signature (PS Enyo has been my gamer/cosplay call sign for decades)).

:faint: After all that I'll need a stretcher and some people to carry me around for a while. Between the costume prep/making and the travel! And oh yeah some where in there I am supposed to work for a living! :faint:

I am also a SW costumer - but as a Merc, I am not allowed to march, either. Hopefully I'll be done with my scout and Jedi before January (going to do the Star Wars 5K at DL). I'll also be at Celebration in April - if someone starts a thread on it I'll be sure to subscribe! I already bought my tix and reserved 2 hotels (a convenient one and a cheap one - have to decide which one I want to keep, lol). I'm just an hour away from DL and am very familiar with it - holler if you have any questions.

BTW,

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but the photopass included in the FtF package is a generic code.

The Photopass code is STAR-WARS-THEF-ORCE. Some cool pictures on there for download!

Loving feel the force! If anyone is around and wants me to slip them a drink or anything let me know!

BTW,

Yes, they are gone. I checked first thing Friday morning but forgot to come and tell you.

Won't be able to make it to Backlot Expresss at noon (life is getting in the way)...but we will be there later this afternoon.
Have SofS fp and then just meander around and wait for the fireworks
If you enjoyed having James A Taylor as the host of sww please email Disney and let them know.

We are having a great time. Costume rained out by parade time on Friday. Changed and back for FTF. Felt the Dark Side. Show and fireworks great!

Just FYI for those coming to the park to get the magicbands today- my boyfriend had his work twice with the special sound and color and then it stopped. We went to guest services and it's a known issue that is being worked on. Right now it is just like a normal band. Hopefully fixed by tomorrow but it will only do special things at DHS.

Oh great. We purchased them for the kids around 8:00 Friday night (we left Saturday morning). I sent DH off with the boys to their ToT FP and waited around for DS's Aurebesh name tag. I didn't even get to see the bands in action, but they did tell me that they worked (color and sound). That was the only time they got to use them this trip (with the hopes of using them again next year). Did your boyfriend's start working again? Did he have to do anything special to get it fixed?

We had a great time at Weekend IV and our short time at Weekend V.

Yulilin, it was nice seeing you again and thanks for doing such a great job on this thread.

I thought Weekend IV was considerably less crowded than Weekend V even with Mark Hamill. Just goes to show you how quickly those summer crowds pick up by the second week in June.

When we were in line for the MH FP on Sunday, 6/8, there was a family behind us and one of the women was so kind to offer me a spare umbrella of hers for shade. If you are a DISer, thank you, thank you, thank you! I really was about to die out there and will never again not bring an umbrella for shade.

Quick question re: the Sci-Fi breakfast. I thought I had read that the Stomtroopers talked. Maybe just canned phrases, but I thought they talked. :confused3 They didn't at our breakfast at all so I was curious if I had misread that.

We had a great time at Weekend IV and our short time at Weekend V.

Yulilin, it was nice seeing you again and thanks for doing such a great job on this thread.

I thought Weekend IV was considerably less crowded than Weekend V even with Mark Hamill. Just goes to show you how quickly those summer crowds pick up by the second week in June.

When we were in line for the MH FP on Sunday, 6/8, there was a family behind us and one of the women was so kind to offer me a spare umbrella of hers for shade. If you are a DISer, thank you, thank you, thank you! I really was about to die out there and will never again not bring an umbrella for shade.

Quick question re: the Sci-Fi breakfast. I thought I had read that the Stomtroopers talked. Maybe just canned phrases, but I thought they talked. :confused3 They didn't at our breakfast at all so I was curious if I had misread that.

The stormtroopers that "talk" are the roaming ones by Backlot Tour
So happy to chat with you too, see you next year

Is anyone there today? Are there still Magic Bands left and is there any deep discounts on stuff in Darth's Mall?

Ethan

ethanwa said:
Is anyone there today? Are there still Magic Bands left and is there any deep discounts on stuff in Darth's Mall?

Ethan

Heading out now for our last sww 2014 :(
I'll check Darth's Mall after SotS

Ethan

We went in to darth mall around 10 and they still had bands. I'm guessing they still do, they were selling them at tatooine traders too. I didn't see much stuff discounted. I was surprised. I thought at least the weekend specific stuff would be as it was in the past. We got a puzzle that was $9.99 but that was already reported b

OK thanks... we might head over there late tonight (8PM or later) to try and buy any last minute merchandise. They have SO much stuff that I wonder where it all goes? Maybe to the Character Warehouse outlet? Can any locals chime in on that? I was hoping for some deep discounts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter