Official Thread For Upcoming Eastern Canadian Cruises

Hi everyone,

I just got pointed to this thread and wow what a wealth of information!

I am working my way through h all the pages but in the interim I was wondering if someone could let me know about taxis in Halifax. Are they readily available are they pricey?

We have found that we like taking taxis to the sights we want to see and overall it is cost and time effective. Also I have a bad back so walking long distances or in this case from what I gather hilly walking is not going to work for me.

I am pretty sure we want to take the kids to the citadel (we are considering the dcl tour that allows them to enlist in boot camp but as of yet have not seen any reviews anyone? It is pricey). Besides the citadel maybe the gardens or some shopping.

We did sign up fr the hoho in saint johns. But am wondering about taxis there too. Our goal there is the tides and I think the market. Although I am very interested in the Photo tour - which I see is getting high praise.

Any not much appreciated as is the time everyone had taken to contribute to this thread.

Only 3 more weeks. Can't wait!,,

Best,

NeverSayNever

Hi, everyone. I am looking for feedback about four possible excursions in Saint John:

Bay of Fundy Coastal Photography
Ride the Rapids
St. Martins and the Bay of Fundy
Wild Blueberry Tour & Tasting

A friend and I are on the Sept. 7 sailing. If you have done any of these, please let me know what you thought. I have seen HermanTriplets+1's trip report and know her family enjoyed Ride the Rapids. Still curious if anyone else did this and what they thought.

Thanks,

Calfan

Soooo....I have seen a few references about this excursion in Saint John...essentially just enough to get the sense that for some reason people were not happy with it.

However, I am finding it difficult to actually track down why this excursion was not liked. (Just a lot of "oh I read in another thread that this excursion was not good"..haha)

Can anyone tell me why or point me to a thread of what people didn't like?

Right now DH and I are booked for the Maple Sugar Shack excursion and the HOHO in St. John. Thinking of dropping the Sugar Shack and trying to decide if I should add something else in it's place or just stick with the HOHO.

Just got off the ship from the Inauguarl cruise to Canada. I strongy suggest you cancel the Bay of Fundy Railway Tour. Very little to see, most of the tour was spent getting there and back for not more than a fifteen minute stop. The tides were not reversing. The guide spent most of the time discussing a truck emptying wood chips at a paper processing factory for toilet paper. For people with mobility concerns there are several steps to get into the bus and train. Highly likely that Disney will cancel this excursion based on passenger feedback.

Soooo....I have seen a few references about this excursion in Saint John...essentially just enough to get the sense that for some reason people were not happy with it.

However, I am finding it difficult to actually track down why this excursion was not liked. (Just a lot of "oh I read in another thread that this excursion was not good"..haha)

Can anyone tell me why or point me to a thread of what people didn't like?

Right now DH and I are booked for the Maple Sugar Shack excursion and the HOHO in St. John. Thinking of dropping the Sugar Shack and trying to decide if I should add something else in it's place or just stick with the HOHO.

I found this one post on this thread by doing a search.
It's on page 48 if you want to read any follow up posts.

Thanks for the info jilljill!
My DS7 and I went on the Maple Sugar Shack tour. Neither of us were terribly impressed. (And I really wanted to like this one). The bus ride was very long -- over an hour, the cable ferry underwhelming. The tour itself was educational, but not really worth the price of admission and amount of time on the bus. The breakfast was okay. The bus ride back was (of course) long. I wish that we had stayed on the ship, or just walked around on our own. Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

After seeing the train go by from the ground I could see why there would be complaints. I don't think you could have actually seen anything from the train. The bridge wouldn't give you a good view of the rapids at all and the route it appeared to take would definately take you through an industrial area and you would not see the sights in Saint John.

We didn't end up doing it and switched excursions after the reviews. I think that if your expectations are that you will ride on a train and maybe see a few things out the window then you would be okay, but if you are hoping to get to see Saint John or the rapids from the train I wouldn't do it.

After seeing the train go by from the ground I could see why there would be complaints. I don't think you could have actually seen anything from the train. The bridge wouldn't give you a good view of the rapids at all and the route it appeared to take would definately take you through an industrial area and you would not see the sights in Saint John.

We didn't end up doing it and switched excursions after the reviews. I think that if your expectations are that you will ride on a train and maybe see a few things out the window then you would be okay, but if you are hoping to get to see Saint John or the rapids from the train I wouldn't do it.

Saint John itself is an industrial city and in my opinion, you won't see many sights except around the harbour itself and the nearby neighbourhoods, which are very old. Outside of Saint John you will find some beautiful scenery along the Saint John River and along the coast of the Bay of Fundy.

No offense to Saint John, but like Declansdad said, the real beauty is outside the city. We were on the July 8th cruise and used Freedom Tours for our excursion. While we got to see some of Saint John and the reversing falls, the best part was driving the scenic route along the Bay of Fundy out to the sea caves at St. Martin. Gorgeous!!! We loved those. DD(6.5) got to explore, see a real, live starfish, hunt for rocks, cross a covered bridge, go up a lighthouse and just have all kinds of fun. I would definitely recommend getting out of the city if you can. There are some truly amazing things to see and do!

Any tips on where the best poutine is in Hailfax and/or Saint Johns?

Someone mentioned that the poutine at burger king was the best they ever had and they were from Montreal. I think you will enjoy it anywhere. I just had one at a restaurant called Mike's which you can find all over the Atlantic Provinces, it has an italian twist to it, but was very good. My suggestion is just try it!

We are regular visitors to Acadia National Park in Maine and we love to hike the rocky coastal trails. Can we find anything like that in Halifax? We plan on renting a car. We would like something a bit challenging and not super touristy, if possible (I'm a geologist and love to get up and personal with the rocky landscape).

My thoughts would be Peggy's Cove and maybe a hike if it is possible to the Memorial for the ...(was it Swiss Air) flight that crashed into the ocean near Peggy's Cove. You should see good rock formations there. Other than that any of the side beaches might be nice. However if you hike in a normal vacation try something different, maybe a little coastal kayaking if time permits would be interesting. Just google for kayaking around halifax, but don't miss the boat!

Quite a few people have commented that the port excursions were less appealing in Saint John. We actually really enjoyed Saint John! We spent the morning just walking around. There is good shopping/browsing, very friendly local volunteers, Tim Horton's, Java Moose Coffee, etc. Good photo-ops. Then we went to Fallsview Park and had a Jet Boat Ride - really great fun! There was a museum at the Market Square near the port which I wish I'd have had time to go to. And there were nice shops right at the pier that I didn't spend enough time browsing. The walk from the pier to the Reversing Rapids/Fallsview is about 45 minutes (we didn't so that, either). And there is a historic site just overlooking the port (fort something - anyone remember?) that looked good too.
ENJOY!:goodvibes

I am glad you all had a wonderful time!!!! I was camping close to Halifax and took my DS on Theodore Tug Boat, I have a nice picture of the Magic from the harbour side. Will have to post it.

Someone mentioned that the poutine at burger king was the best they ever had and they were from Montreal. I think you will enjoy it anywhere. I just had one at a restaurant called Mike's which you can find all over the Atlantic Provinces, it has an italian twist to it, but was very good. My suggestion is just try it!

My husband when to college in Montreal and we are all too familiar with Burger King poutine. It is pretty good. Maybe I'll TripAdvisor it. Thanks!

My thoughts would be Peggy's Cove and maybe a hike if it is possible to the Memorial for the ...(was it Swiss Air) flight that crashed into the ocean near Peggy's Cove. You should see good rock formations there. Other than that any of the side beaches might be nice. However if you hike in a normal vacation try something different, maybe a little coastal kayaking if time permits would be interesting. Just google for kayaking around halifax, but don't miss the boat!

We stopped at the Swiss Air memorial, it is pretty and interesting but only a short walk on a sidewalk, really not a hike at all. At peggy's cove you can climb all over the rocks. Again, not really a hike but it is somewhat physical and so beautiful.

Leaving 9/7 for 5 nights from NYC to Canada on the Magic. WOndering if anyone has done the kayak/lobster excursion in Saint John?
Any other excursions worth considering?
Thanks,
Monica

We would like to rent a car in Halifax and do a day hike. We are looking at Taylor Head Provincial Park. Has anyone done this? (Can it be done in the time we have in port 8:30 - 4:30)

We really want to do a coastal hike. If anyone has other suggestions for something closer to Halifax - please suggest!!

Kathi

Can anyone tell me what time the terminal opens for checkin?
What time would you suggest we arrange to be dropped at the pier? I've read somewhere that it is a long walk??

I don't remember if I asked this here or on the NYC planning thread or didn't ask at all and senility is just setting in. We're sailing on the Magic on Friday and I'm going to work in the morning and meeting my wife and mother at the pier. Can they board without me and if so, what will I need to board? I assume my id (passport). Will I need a copy of the signature Page from the online check in too? Thanks.

I don't remember if I asked this here or on the NYC planning thread or didn't ask at all and senility is just setting in. We're sailing on the Magic on Friday and I'm going to work in the morning and meeting my wife and mother at the pier. Can they board without me and if so, what will I need to board? I assume my id (passport). Will I need a copy of the signature Page from the online check in too? Thanks.

Your wife and mom can turn in the signature page with your signature. Yes they can board without you, you will need to have your passport to check in as normal. If they make you sign another signature paper that's no big deal on your end since they will have a copy there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter