Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread-Part 2

This was my first Half, too. I also am feeling like I want to go Goofy next January. I was so jealous of that medal and felt like "big deal, I ran 1/3 of that.". Is that crazy-stupid talk, or totally plausible? I've seen a few people between here & fb saying that this was their first Goofy AND Marathon, but I'm wondering if I'm setting myself up for injury.

It's not crazy-stupid talk. I did the marathon and have 4 other halves under my belt. Once I saw everyone with their Goofy medals I really felt like, "I should have done that." Mickey was my first marathon and I didn't want to kill myself in training and end up injured. Now that I know can do the full I am planning on Goofy 2014. Now if my bank account can just keep up with my runDisney addiction I'll be good. Signed up for DDD as an ease into Goofy. Plus I'll get my C2C. Can't turn down 4 medals in one weekend. Now I just have to stay healthy for Princess!

mufasa0505 said:
This was my first Half, too. I also am feeling like I want to go Goofy next January. I was so jealous of that medal and felt like "big deal, I ran 1/3 of that.". Is that crazy-stupid talk, or totally plausible? I've seen a few people between here & fb saying that this was their first Goofy AND Marathon, but I'm wondering if I'm setting myself up for injury.

First of all, your first Half is a BIG DEAL!!!! Congratulations!! :)

I know exactly how you felt cuz that was me in January 2012 after I ran my first Half. And I went for it and completed the Dopey this January. So it is doable. You just have to do the training wisely so you avoid injury, and you too, can wear that Goofy medal in 2014. I will wait until 2015 to run Goofy again when it is the 10th anniversary of the Challenge and there will certainly be a new Goofy medal that year. :)

RunRookie said:
First of all, your first Half is a BIG DEAL!!!! Congratulations!! :)

I know exactly how you felt cuz that was me in January 2012 after I ran my first Half. And I went for it and completed the Dopey this January. So it is doable. You just have to do the training wisely so you avoid injury, and you too, can wear that Goofy medal in 2914. I will wait until 2015 to run Goofy again when it is the 10th anniversary of the Challenge and there will certainly be a new Goofy medal that year. :)

I am hoping i get my Goofy medal by 2914. ;-)

I didn't train any different for the Goofy than I would have for the marathon by itself with a couple of exceptions. I ran 2 back to backs of 8 and 17 at the first of November and a 10 and 15 at the end of December.

If you don't try to go out and set a PR for the half then you will be fine.

mufasa0505 said:

A half is a big deal!! Congrats!! I'm one of the nuts that did her first marathon & first goofy. If you train hard it can be done. I followed Galloway and my goal was to just finish. I did. I did have a few halfs under my belt and the half before the full was my 10th - not counting the training runs where I went longer.

Take it slow & follow a plan. I started base building again the month before the plan started. That helped too.

PS - does anyone know what the music was playing in EPCOT for the marathon? I liked that and would love to get my hands on it.

This was me last year. I did Tink and was crazy jealous of those who were walking around with their C2C. I started doing some research on Goofy training plans and I found so many people that said it is totally doable. Train for the marathon and throw in some back to back runs. I found the Galloway plan just to survive and I followed that. I liked it because the mid-week runs were easy to fit in to my schedule and I always did long runs on Saturdays while my better half was at work.

Make no mistake, it's a lot of training miles to run. But the feeling of completion is just awesome. I was getting choked up as I was running through Epcot and by the time I high fived Goofy at the finish line I had tears rolling down my face. A volunteer thought I was in pain (I was) and directed me to get an ice pack. But when I approached the smiling volunteer with the Goofy medals and he put it around my neck and said, "Congratulations!" it was all worth it. Shoot, my eyes are leaking now just thinking about it.

:cheer2: You can do it!!!! :cheer2:

Thanks for the replies! I know the half is a still an accomplishment, I just felt intimidated, I guess. :)

Our race reports. In short between some injuries and the heat we ended up somewhat slower than we had originally planned for.

The 1/2 just seemed very congested between the traffic, the walk from the bag check, and the start of the race. I am not sure if it is because we were earlier the next day, but we did not seem to have the same issues the next day.

Congrats to all of the finishers and thanks to all of the supporters & volunteers!

http://thebaldandtheblonde.com/2013/01/22/the-goofy-challenge-part-i-the-donald/

http://thebaldandtheblonde.com/2013/01/26/the-goofy-challenge-part-ii-the-mickey/

Was Goofy out there at the finish line? Someone wrote they high fived Goofy at the finish line...wish he was there when I crossed it...I guess Goofy was long gone by the time I crossed the finish line but it would have been so friggen cool to high five him.

I did high five Donald at the half finish and that was cool!

goofeygirl said:
Was Goofy out there at the finish line? Someone wrote they high fived Goofy at the finish line...wish he was there when I crossed it...I guess Goofy was long gone by the time I crossed the finish line but it would have been so friggen cool to high five him.

Were there any characters out when you finished? When I finished the half Mickey was out...Minnie was out for the full. The characters switch out every 30 minutes or so. :)

I got a hug from goofy and it was captured by the marathon photo fols, my bib number showed and I was anything but fast. Think it was luck and that they rotated...

I hugged Donald at the end of the Half and high fived Mickey as I crossed the finish line. Such a high for me as I picked the Half for my first bc of the Donald medal.

Ariel484 said:
Were there any characters out when you finished? When I finished the half Mickey was out...Minnie was out for the full. The characters switch out every 30 minutes or so. :)

I got Minnie too.

Yep, he was there! My gun time was over 7 hours, chip time 6:22.

8421694621_030c6c0b60_m.jpg

goofeygirl said:

I was able to high-five Goofy at the finish of the full. Can't remember who I saw at the half...

Amanda

DrMomof3 said:
I was able to high-five Goofy at the finish of the full. Can't remember who I saw at the half...

Amanda

I had Donald at the full finish, and I was thrilled as I was hunting for him the whole race!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I had Goofy right before finish line for the Half Marathon! I stopped for a picture since he was one of the only characters with *no* line the entire race :) At that point I was obviously going to finish, I didn't care about adding an extra 30-60 seconds to my time lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter