Official Wine and Dine 2016 thread

The hours for the post race party are 8pm-1am,Epcot closes religiously at 9pm every night except for weekends during F&W and during the holidays,I pretty much guarantee you they will not be kicking regular park guests out at 8pm.After Illuminations ends at 9:13pm will begin the process of kicking out day guests.I think they picked those hours so those runners going in at 8pm can also watch Illuminations.

Probably an accurate assumption. The site did say that you would get into Epcot early at 8pm

Weren't we all hoping for a 10k? The

Nope.

The fact that they changed it to a morning race is a very small thing in the bigger picture.

Disagree.

Having it be a night race is THE reason for me wanting to do it. Do you get how HARD it is for a west coaster to do a morning WDW run? It is ridiculous. To have a night race, though, is fabulous. I run in the later afternoon/evening anyway, so having a night race early in my trip to Orlando is utter perfection.

They tried to transform something that was screwed up for two years in a row

It wasn't screwed up 2 years ago. That was rain. So what? Made me a better person. Had an awesome time running Hot Chocolate 15K on Sunday *because of* Splash and Dash. It was getting pretty close to raining frogs on Sunday and I just laughed and laughed. W&D '14 wasn't screwed up. It was just wet.

And that's not Disney's fault.

ha...this must be for people who just expected runDisney to know they'd done a past race and put the time in for them. Doesn't work that way!

And I bet there are many!

I think it's really funny how theoretically, everyone loves Wine and Dine and in practice, I think everyone I know has always complained about something. ... I feel like this is the great in theory race that has never lived up to anyone's expectations.

I didn't live up to my expectations for '14; I wimped out. THAT is what I complain about, that my friend and I went back to the room instead of having fun at the after-party. Complaining about the weather isn't complaining about the race itself.

But of course look to Disney to overreact to exactly the wrong things!

It's a shame Disney has decided to make the race look like every other one.

Ayep.

Official blog post is blaming nighttime shows at all parks for daytime race.

http://www.rundisney.com/blog/artic...10-16/?CMP=SOC-ESPNWWOSFY16Q1DisneySports0038

Disney throwing themselves under the bus!

it sounded like they did a better job of re-stocking stuff at Princess this year...???

No.

My grey with castle "run princess run" shirt, with NO extra stuff on it (they had one with Half stuff on it that the staff kept thinking I wanted) was gone but 1 XL by the time we got in on Thursday (maybe 2 hours in?) and then some must have showed up the next day because there was 1 S that my cousin saw an employee putting back. That was TWO total that I saw. (and I hate how it feels and I'm thinking of selling it, waaaaah)

The wine glasses were gone day 1. I'm talking the purply-pink ones with the theme design on it, not the "every mile is magic" red one.

I didn't see a single big Tervis in the theme design, and we went two days. They were GONE. Again, they had the mile is magic Tervis, but not the purplypink one.

Other things were gone, but those going after they were gone didn't know about them (or don't know what's being described (see above runprincessrun tank description).

They did get those pink jackets (princess up?), and they had tons of other things, but there were many items that were hardly stocked after the first day or two.

not for lack of desire to do them but because I understand women want to have a women's race so I intentionally leave it to them

FWIW not every woman wants a woman's race; and if I did *want* that I'd go to one that ONLY allowed women. Princess just keeps men back a couple corrals, which actually feels incredibly insulting; because realizing that men are pretty much always gone to be the first across the finish line because of biology isn't insulting, it's just life. But to purposely keep them back in hopes that it will allow a woman across the line first? Yuck.

So sign up for Princess if you want. (or Tink; is that considered a women's race?)

deal with the fairness issues associated with Corral A runners finishing and getting 2 hours more afterparty then Corral L finishers.

Crud. You've just given me the one positive side of changing W&D. I hadn't even *thought* of that. And I'm slower and did TOT, but didn't even think about all those people who crossed an hour or more before me. Dang.

I'm surprised that there isn't another "Challenge" if you do all 3 races.

Princess doesn't have a 3 race challenge. Dumbo Double Dare doesn't include the 5K. etc.

I wish they would do a "choose your own challenge" thing; 5 and 10K? OK! 5 and Half? OK! etc. Logistics for shirts would be a nightmare, but I don't care. :)

W&D was not on my list for this year, until yesterday's announcement. Now I have a room and a flight booked. Lumiere medal... that is a must have for me!

I have read a rumor that a Villains race might be added in the future, which has a bit more of a chance now that the Avengers race has been renamed to Heros. A villains race would be perfect for a nighttime race.

I feel like there's no way there could be bad weather for this race 3 years in a row... right?? :laughing:

From your fingers to the weather maker's ears!!

yes, but isn't it just for family and friends of the runners? it uses the term exclusive after party, for runners, family and friends? the person above made mention of regular disney guests buying tickets? this is my first one, so excuse me if I'm not understanding :)

As stated previously, no proof is required to purchase tickets, but they will be sold ahead of time and not at the gate.

As someone who has run every W&D , I personally HATE these changes.

I enjoy the challenge races, but this race was truly unique in its atmosphere. I loved that it was a night race, and the atmosphere at the pre-party, on the course, and at the after-party was unique among RunDisney races. The after party will be a truly diminished experience for us because I have been fortunate enough to be able to finish in the top 5-10%. We were often able to do a food and wine lap around the World Showcase as well ride the rides before it got really busy.

That being said, there were many runners who had difficulties adjusting to running at an odd time for them, and many never truly got to enjoy the party due to giving it all just to finish. Many are too tired, too sore, and it gets CROWDED as the night wears on.

It was also pretty terrible to change the dates of the event after having it posted for months.

So big bummer for me, and a BIG loss in terms of unique race experiences, but I think it will actually be better for many.

As another perfect Wine & Dine runner, I also find the changes to be a bit of a slap in the face. Kind of goes along with the whole spatula thing though.

I'm happier with a morning race but am holding off on flights and room until I know for sure I get in. All the talk about trying to sign up is making me nervous. I am not an ap holder or dvc so I'll be signing up March 29. I have to work that day and have no idea if I'll be able to get online right at 12. I really want to rent dvc points but won't be able to cancel if I don't do the half. It needs to be March 29 already.

I guess if you do all the RunDisney races it's cookie cutter to you (which is a phrase I've been reading all around social media), but when you only pick one to do a year I don't mind them being the same format, it makes it easier to pick one to work into a vacation for the year. We picked this weekend to do for the Fall time of year and for the wine & dine festival, the races are the icing on the cake for us. It's not just a regular half now that it's morning, seriously, I can't run in theme parks or meet characters at a local half, it's still a special half to me, maybe to those who run every race weekend and race all the time it's just another half.

JMHO, but having done a number of these, I don't personally feel like they're cookie cutter -- though I've heard some people say that. I think they do a good job with theming, characters, merchandise, etc. -- makes us feel like different experiences. :)

Cookie cutter to me is the local 5K, 10K or half running through the same city streets with the only theming being a t-shirt with a different emblem. Color run? There are now a bunch of those that all feel the same. Glow run? There are now a bunch of those that all feel the same. I could go on...

For truly UNIQUE experiences, perhaps we need to travel to different cities and do their iconic races/routes. But since Disney works for us, and is the only place we can go and the WHOLE FAMILY can participate because 5K, 10K and Half are all at DIFFERENT TIMES, it's a pretty darned good setup for us... fairly UNIQUE as far as racing goes! :)

I know I'm in the minority over this, but I am so happy with these changes.
First, a 10K!!!
Second, it's in the morning!! I'm an early to bed kind of person and night races make me physically sick. My body just can't handle being up after midnight, let alone running.

I think this change has something to do with the rundisney surveys that went out a couple months back, in conjunction with more nighttime activities on property, and all the construction.

I do feel for those of you who loved this race at night, and I did think it was a unique opportunity. I did TofT, and while my head loved the night race, my body just wasn't having it.
Too bad they couldn't have done the 10k in the AM, and leave the 1/2 at night.

Just to be fair..........a member of my household likes the change.
16 year old DD loves Ratatouille and Remy.
She hates to run but wants to do a Remy-themed race.

Rats!
(pun intended)

My 9 year old is going to be so freaking excited to find this out too. My 6 yo probably will as well.

I guess if you do all the RunDisney races it's cookie cutter to you (which is a phrase I've been reading all around social media), but when you only pick one to do a year I don't mind them being the same format, it makes it easier to pick one to work into a vacation for the year. We picked this weekend to do for the Fall time of year and for the wine & dine festival, the races are the icing on the cake for us. It's not just a regular half now that it's morning, seriously, I can't run in theme parks or meet characters at a local half, it's still a special half to me, maybe to those who run every race weekend and race all the time it's just another half.
This is a really good point and I completely agree. I've also seen people say that now this race weekend is "just the same as any other" because all the races are in the morning. But the courses are different and the theming is different, so I don't see how they can be cookie cutter. I think some people (and not everyone, so please don't jump on me) are getting a bit selfish because they've done multiple RunDisney events and feel that they're becoming the same, so they want some difference and for each event to feel special. Maybe these people need to step back - I don't think RunDisney should need to make every race weekend completely different in order to cater to the people who want to run "all the races." (And just saying again that I know this isn't everyone, so please don't blast me!) I completely understand the attraction of Wine and Dine as a night race and that being the deciding factor for some people, because I did like it myself, but I also understand that maybe it is logistically harder and they couldn't pull it off anymore. And I do feel for those people. But the idea and theme of Wine and Dine is still there, and I think the races will still be an awesome and unique event for the first timers or the only every now and then RunDisney runners.

Agree that this will be a unique experience, regardless of the time of day. You can see by my signature - I've run a LOT of rD races at WDW. And I've yet to feel that any one of them is "cookie cutter." Maybe it's because I've run them with different strategies (for time vs. for fun, with friends vs. alone, etc.), but I think it's more than there's SO much going on in a Disney race, every race really offers a different experience, even if some elements remain the same in different races and/or years.

Though I'm thrilled with the move to a morning half, I do understand others' disappointment. If you really loved running at night, yeah - this isn't a positive change for you, especially since it was the last one left. I felt similarly with the last Everest Challenge: that happened to be a great fit for my family and I was sad to see it go.

As for me the changes other than adding the challenge/1ok really did not make a difference to me about the race weekend. Thankfully with my DVC booked back in December and flights booked a few weeks ago the changes did not effect me either.

I will say that I am totally excited about the after party being held Sunday evening...as a Back of the Pack runner I get to enjoy the party now instead of just a little bit at the end (but even that was not a big deal to me). I do enjoy evening races but moving to am only makes me go to bed earlier on Saturday night (and a few more of my friends will run now that it is in the am).

I get to run Disney every 18-24 months...they are just my excuse to get to WDW that I use on my DH so that I can have a great girls trip with my Run BFFs in one of my favorite places!

Everyone needs to drink a little wine (okay maybe a lot) and get ready to hit the button at 12:00 on March 29th!

I have mixed feelings about the changes. I'm not necessarily angry, but not elated either. I'm excited for the challenge (and the theme) on one hand, and am glad that an additional distance was added for those that can't/don't want to do the half distance (I have a friend that was going to try the half because she wanted a wine and dine race so bad). I'm bummed out that it's no longer a night race and that the party is completely separate from the race. I'm also sad that 10k participants have to pay to buy a ticket to come to the party. I'd rather they make it exclusive to runners only and allow them to come (and hike up the entry fee accordingly), but no one asked me. ;)

I do agree with others - party will not be the same as before. With everyone arriving at once (and assuming more half participants), it's going to be crazy busy. I was in corral F last year and noticed a big difference from time of arrival at the party to about an hour later in terms of lines.

Maybe this will be a learning year for this event and they'll modify as needed for 2017. Still planning on signing up, but the draw isn't as great this year.

I do agree with others - party will not be the same as before. With everyone arriving at once (and assuming more half participants), it's going to be crazy busy. I was in corral F last year and noticed a big difference from time of arrival at the party to about an hour later in terms of lines.
Makes sense. I still like that I will be RESTED and SHOWERED for the party, and that slower runners will have the same crack at everything as fast runners. :)

A thought on everyone arriving at once for the party... I wouldn't be surprised if they begin allowing folks in earlier than 8, much like the hard-ticket parties at MK. If so, it would be unofficial, but they do not want thousands of people blocking up the entrance and creating a safety hazard. If it starts looking ugly, they could just start letting people in. Also, a fair number of us are AP holders who will likely enter before 8pm, which will cut down on the numbers entering at 8. I plan to get there by 6 to have dinner, personally.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter