Official Wine and Dine 2016 thread

More great advice above. I will add on with the fueling that it's all up to what you choose to do. I have read everything from jelly beans (sport or normal) and pretzels to gu and clif bars. Personally I use the starburst mini's because they are small, I like them and they have some sodium in them. Knowing myself, I know that gu won't work, clif bars I don't like and pretty much most of what I would find in a running store is not something I will want to taste or eat, whether it's the texture or the flavor. There are many options and you'll find from research what they all are.

The whole electrolyte thing I haven't worked out yet. I've done up to 8 miles without one, though I do often get a hot chocolate after I'm done running. I don't like sports drinks and I don't know that Smart Water will work well enough. I will say that I mostly drink water and often there's very little yellow, which is as far as I want to comment though I know runners will understand :) I have found a tasteless electrolyte drops that I can get and may try.

While we're on the subject of advice for newbies, what do you all recommend for a sensitive issue: the need for a bathroom a mile or two into a run. When I'm on a track with a porta-pottie this isn't an issue, but on the trail it requires planning. How do you eat to avoid upset digestive issues?

While we're on the subject of advice for newbies, what do you all recommend for a sensitive issue: the need for a bathroom a mile or two into a run. When I'm on a track with a porta-pottie this isn't an issue, but on the trail it requires planning. How do you eat to avoid upset digestive issues?
Get it all out ahead of time. Wake up early and drink coffee a couple of hours ahead of time...and let it happen. :eek:

Get it all out ahead of time. Wake up early and drink coffee a couple of hours ahead of time...and let it happen. :eek:

Or orange juice for those of us that don't drink coffee :) The last time we were at WDW and at timeshare so we stopped at Publix. I got some good florida oj to keep me on schedule while on vacation, since that can mess things up. Hoping I can find some at Target or somewhere at Pop if Target only has the stuff from concentrate.

Aside from the good advice offered above, another approach is to pay close attention to what you eat for lunch the day before your long run. That's the meal that could potentially give you GI problems during your run. If you are having issues, try to eat plain, simple foods for lunch and dinner.

Quote FAIL! I tried to quote "afan" post above, but it didn't put it in there :confused3: "More great advice above. I will add on with the fueling that it's all up to what you choose to do. I have read everything from jelly beans (sport or normal) and pretzels to gu and clif bars. Personally I use the starburst mini's because they are small, I like them and they have some sodium in them. Knowing myself, I know that gu won't work, clif bars I don't like and pretty much most of what I would find in a running store is not something I will want to taste or eat, whether it's the texture or the flavor. There are many options and you'll find from research what they all are.

The whole electrolyte thing I haven't worked out yet. I've done up to 8 miles without one, though I do often get a hot chocolate after I'm done running. I don't like sports drinks and I don't know that Smart Water will work well enough. I will say that I mostly drink water and often there's very little yellow, which is as far as I want to comment though I know runners will understand :) I have found a tasteless electrolyte drops that I can get and may try." End quote.

My post:
This is a great idea! I've found I need extra salt. Gus are Ok but they can upset my stomach. I love starburst, so why haven't I thought of this!

I'm also wondering on the electrolyte thing. I drink G2 before and after races, but I never take it during a race because I don't like the full sugar version. I'm not used to sugary drinks and don't want to upset my stomach. This has been OK for halfs and less, but I think I need another solution for when I do a full. I will look into the drops, so thanks again!

ETA: Sorry for the low tech quoting. :rotfl2:

I use gatorade chews, I seem to get energy from them, I know I feel better. I usually start about half way through a half marathon.

Ditto on the gatorade chews. I settled on them after trying shot blocs and sport beans. (Nothing wrong with either of those, just prefer the gatorade ones right now.) This Friday I'm going to try adding something called SaltStick Fast Chews as I'm also concerned about my salt levels. I haven't had a problem (that I know of) I just know my sweat is super salty.

I live in FL: I've been known to lose 5-8% of my body weight to sweat on long, hot summer runs, so electrolyte replacement is crucial! I use GU for fuel, but it's not enough to replace sodium. I use Nuun for that - easy to wrap a few tabs in cling wrap to bring with me and just pop one into my bottle when I refill at water fountains.

I live in FL: I've been known to lose 5-8% of my body weight to sweat on long, hot summer runs, so electrolyte replacement is crucial! I use GU for fuel, but it's not enough to replace sodium. I use Nuun for that - easy to wrap a few tabs in cling wrap to bring with me and just pop one into my bottle when I refill at water fountains.
Okay, that brings me to another question. You actually carry a water bottle on the run? I haven't done more than a 10K before and just took drinks where they had them. Is this necessary? How often do they have them in the Disney halfs? Thanks!

I use gatorade chews, I seem to get energy from them, I know I feel better. I usually start about half way through a half marathon.

Ditto on the gatorade chews. I settled on them after trying shot blocs and sport beans. (Nothing wrong with either of those, just prefer the gatorade ones right now.) This Friday I'm going to try adding something called SaltStick Fast Chews as I'm also concerned about my salt levels. I haven't had a problem (that I know of) I just know my sweat is super salty.

I love these Honey Stinger chews, Orange Blossom flavor: http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Stinger...&qid=1463526666&sr=8-1&keywords=running+chews

To give a sense of variability about all of this stuff, my sister ABSOLUTELY DESPISES these!! :rotfl: She's into the sports beans.

I occasionally use shot bloks before a shorter run if I don't have time to get a small meal in. Way too chewy for me during a race.

I might have to try Gatorade chews now... ... :) Any flavors strike you as especially awesome??

Last edited:
Quote FAIL! I tried to quote "afan" post above, but it didn't put it in there :confused3: "More great advice above. I will add on with the fueling that it's all up to what you choose to do. I have read everything from jelly beans (sport or normal) and pretzels to gu and clif bars. Personally I use the starburst mini's because they are small, I like them and they have some sodium in them. Knowing myself, I know that gu won't work, clif bars I don't like and pretty much most of what I would find in a running store is not something I will want to taste or eat, whether it's the texture or the flavor. There are many options and you'll find from research what they all are.

The whole electrolyte thing I haven't worked out yet. I've done up to 8 miles without one, though I do often get a hot chocolate after I'm done running. I don't like sports drinks and I don't know that Smart Water will work well enough. I will say that I mostly drink water and often there's very little yellow, which is as far as I want to comment though I know runners will understand :) I have found a tasteless electrolyte drops that I can get and may try." End quote.

My post:
This is a great idea! I've found I need extra salt. Gus are Ok but they can upset my stomach. I love starburst, so why haven't I thought of this!

I'm also wondering on the electrolyte thing. I drink G2 before and after races, but I never take it during a race because I don't like the full sugar version. I'm not used to sugary drinks and don't want to upset my stomach. This has been OK for halfs and less, but I think I need another solution for when I do a full. I will look into the drops, so thanks again!

ETA: Sorry for the low tech quoting. :rotfl2:

I love the starburst mini's because I can put them in a baggie and not worry about wrappers. I use the one in the pink pouch for runs because the flavors are more together so I don't mind as much what colors I might pop in together, normally 2-3 since they are small on my walk interval. It has the cherry and strawberry and then the other two are watermelon and punch I think. Then I get the regular starburst flavors for snacks. I'm not a fan of orange but in the mini it's not so bad.

I always carry water with me when I run whether it's a race or a regular run. I drink more if it's hot out and will just fill my bottle at a water stop. I use a koozie because my hands get sweaty and it gives me somewhere to stash my kleenex. I also start my runs chewing mint gum to help get the saliva going so I don't drink because my mouth is dry, which the starbursts help with later. The koozie gives me a place to keep my wrapper and later gum in the wrapper so I don't just toss it. I've also been known to keep my starbursts there if my bottle is low and squishy or the bag is empty.

This is the electroylte add in I'm going to try http://elete.com/ it's a small enough bottle I can stick it in a pocket. My problem will be I won't get to longer runs until September when it's not as hot in Seattle even if I wait to run until the afternoon, which I don't want to do. I know if I was do the 8 miles in FL I would need something and I know the cool air here helps. I guess I'll just have to try it to make sure my stomach is ok with it and use it and hope for the best.

Okay, that brings me to another question. You actually carry a water bottle on the run? I haven't done more than a 10K before and just took drinks where they had them. Is this necessary? How often do they have them in the Disney halfs? Thanks!
I think I remember them having 9 water stops on other Disney half courses. We won't know for sure until the program comes out, but they always have water and Powerade.

Adding to the fuel discussion, I like Honey Stinger Waffles. :)

I tend to take a lot of Powerade (Yellow only! No blue!) during RD races - I don't like the fully leaded versions you get in the bottles at the finish, but because the offering on course is made with powder and water, I generally find it to be pretty weak. I also tend to take from the last Powerade person so I can cut it with water if it's too sweet for my liking.

In the Florida humidity, I almost exclusively consume Margarita ShotBloks as fuel during runs ... they have extra salt, so I can tell that benefits me. They also taste like margaritas, so ... win, win?

I used to carry a water bottle with me. Now, I rely completely on the course offerings. I take a SaltStick Caplet at the 45 minute and 1 1/2 hr. marks for electrolytes. For calories i use gummy worms (Albanese). I try not to overcomplicate it since I know my mind will quit working during the race.

Question about the kids races -- My daughter is doing the 1 mile run, which appears to be at 12:30p on Saturday. What time do you think we need to arrive at WWoS for this?

Thanks!

Just wanted to let anyone local (or close enough to drive) know that they had a TON of RunDisney wicking-type shirts at the Character Warehouse (Disney official outlet) at Vineland Premium Outlets yesterday. I got an orange one, a white one, and a grey one all with just a standard logo (not race specific), some long sleeve ones, Star Wars ones, and a couple different Inside Out themed ones. All were $8.99 for women's or $9.99 for unisex. Actually seemed to have a variety of sizes (got women's L and XL for me and men's XL and XXL for DH) as opposed to the all S or XS they seem to normally have there.

I do! I use Amphipod 12oz. handheld bottles that are super comfortable; I'm really unaware of them while running. I use them in races, too, because I prefer to sip throughout the race vs. drinking a bunch at once at water stops. In training, I have lots of public water fountains I can tap to refill as needed (and on long summer runs, I'm going through upwards of 80oz, so I absolutely HAVE to refill multiple times!). WDW races have lots of water stops, so I generally only need to refill every other stop in warm weather, maybe every third in cooler races.

On teh fuel topic, I'm a GU gal all the way. I tried using Uncrustables last year for marathon training, but they alwyas made my stomach cramp. My body is happy so long as I keep the gels coming every 45 minutes without fail lol!

I carry a Nathan handheld bottle on runs 10K up. I have found in the FL heat and humidity (I live in FL) that I need water at my disposal when I feel I need it. I will normally fill my water bottle along the way at the water stops. I forgot extra Nunn for Princess so I ended up drinking some Powerade on the courses, which is not my favorite, but it was needed.

I love the Honey Stinger chews. I was using the cran razz Shot Blocks, which are fine for me, but the Honey Stingeres are easier to chew. I've been alternating them with tehs hot bloks I have left (as I found an unopened package in my suitcase) and sports beans. The Honey Stinger chews are the easiest for me to chew. I tried Gu before and I can't hang with the texture of it.

I will use a Nathan Trail Mix belt to carry water or Propel on training runs, but for races I rely on the on course offerings. All that I have run have had water/Powerade stations at an adequate frequency.

For fueling, I love the Honey Stinger gels (Cherry Cola and Limeade in particular), but got tired of them making my fingers sticky when I ate them. Now I use Honey Stinger Ginsting packets. It's essentially a gu packet filled with honey and additives. They are a little less gooey than the regular gus, which I really like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter