Official Wine and Dine 2016 thread

I'll say this - if they replicate what they did for the Marathon this year down the stretch of Bear Island by the waste facility, y'all are in for a pretttttttttty EPIC stretch of character stops. For Marathon, instead of all being together, every Villain had their OWN character set-up. It was pretty badass and over a mile long. Hades was the BEST - there were fire explosions and everything. Greatness.

Totally this. I'm hoping they do it again this year. Hades was on break when I went by! :sad:

I didn't even know they had a costume or someone to play Shan-Yu, either! :eek:

Totally this. I'm hoping they do it again this year. Hades was on break when I went by! :sad:

I didn't even know they had a costume or someone to play Shan-Yu, either! :eek:

RIGHT?

And after all the effort they put into the Darkwing Duck setup this year, I'm sure they'll use that meet again. With the plane, it was SUPER cool.

Yeah - it's all a crapshoot, really. You never know what the field is going to be like for these races - or if RD is going to go with more or less corrals than the year before (I'm talking about YOU, Disneyland Half!)

Yup - at this point as long as I don't end up in a hideous bottle neck with people yelling, swearing and pushing and shoving like I did in the half of the half last year (in the stretch between HS and BW - totally caused by the shortened race) I'm happy just plodding along at my own pace and running my own race.

I'm a little disappointed with the course. I understand that it's going to be different because of construction but there's so little park time. Although the last WDW race I did I had issues with people blocking the entire path in the parks, so I guess it can be a kind of positive?
I'm disappointed that this isn't a night race, though, so that might be influencing things a bit.

Can I ask what your last race was? Then we can probably compare for you! If it was dark side...fear not. Im not sure any race could be as congested as that gem.

I'll say this - if they replicate what they did for the Marathon this year down the stretch of Bear Island by the waste facility, y'all are in for a pretttttttttty EPIC stretch of character stops. For Marathon, instead of all being together, every Villain had their OWN character set-up. It was pretty badass and over a mile long. Hades was the BEST - there were fire explosions and everything. Greatness.

Good to know! I dont stop for more than a pic or two, but I like having something to look at! ...other than waste treatment plants...

Yup - at this point as long as I don't end up in a hideous bottle neck with people yelling, swearing and pushing and shoving like I did in the half of the half last year (in the stretch between HS and BW - totally caused by the shortened race) I'm happy just plodding along at my own pace and running my own race.

That was really a disaster, wasn't it. At least the course is MUCH wider, so that's a bonus. I'm sure you'll do great!!

Oh, and to the topic of missing the night race. I was thinking about this the last day or two. I severely miss the Tower of Terror 10 Miler :( I only had the chance to run it once, the very last year. But everything about it was great. The course, the theme, and all of the stops they had along the way (Haunted Mansion grave diggers, the costuming tunnel with the laser lights blasting "help I'm slipping into the twilight zooone", finishing under a lit up Tower of Terror). Don't get me wrong, W&D had a fantastic course too (Osborne's. sniffle.) But it just felt like they out did themselves with a very disney, yet not disney, themed race. I hope beyond hope that when HS (or whatever it morphs into) is up and running they bring one of the night races back!!

I digress. I've gone and drifted down memory lane! Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Another newbie question: out of curiosity, how long does it truly take to stop for a character pic? I'll be towards the back of the pack & am wondering if even one stop would be an option without falling too far behind? Thanks!

Another newbie question: out of curiosity, how long does it truly take to stop for a character pic? I'll be towards the back of the pack & am wondering if even one stop would be an option without falling too far behind? Thanks!

It really depends on the line - anywhere from a couple of seconds to six or seven minutes if it's a popular stop. You can tell by the line and how fast it's moving.

This is good to know! To me, while it obviously wouldn't match the experience of the parks, it would add a lot to those stretches of the course and make them feel like you're at a Disney race. Villains set-ups would be awesome, but I wonder if they could have something that would be more themed to the race. Not sure what that would be though with Food and Wine. :scratchin

Go to the runDisney Food & Wine website and click on "Runner's Info" tab and then scroll down to "Waivers" and click the link. Enter in your name and date of birth and click to print your waiver (even if you are not ready to print it yet). Down near the bottom is your bib number, near the place you sign away liabilities.

Yay thank you so much, although I did have a bit of a panic as I tried to enter the DOB the UK way rather than the US way. So has a horrible minute or two when I thought I wasn't registered.

So if my bib starts 45 using @bcarey2k chart that would put me in Corral J, right?

Yay thank you so much, although I did have a bit of a panic as I tried to enter the DOB the UK way rather than the US way. So has a horrible minute or two when I thought I wasn't registered.

So if my bib starts 45 using @bcarey2k chart that would put me in Corral J, right?
Yep, that's where I'm at too.

This will be my 6th Run Disney half and I'm a back of the packer and have never seen anything but very long lines for characters. I personally never stop for pics because of the wait. Time is extra precious in these races....

I am in D and thinking I may try to buck the notion that you can't PR at a Disney race, particularly with the course being so flat (until the end).

This is my first destination race and Disney race - care to share your ultimate packing list?

DON'T SWEAT THE PETTY STUFF AND DON'T PET THE SWEATY STUFF!!!

I disagree. Pet the sweaty stuff. (Remember there is darn good chance you'll be sweaty, and you'd want to be petted, wouldn't you?)

And after all the effort they put into the Darkwing Duck setup this year, I'm sure they'll use that meet again. With the plane, it was SUPER cool.

WHAT?!?!?!?! I've met Darkwing and Launchpad before, but just kinda chilling on the side of the course. They had accessories!??!?!?!?!?!

I'm a turtle. I have short legs and I'm a little stocky. Speed is not my forté. I run Disney for the atmosphere and course entertainment. I have seen lines that seemed to stretch on forever and characters who have no line, even going slow and winded up near the back. What matters most is that you get what you want out of the race. If it's a pic with Remy and Emile and the line is 20 deep, then wait as patiently as you can. Race character photo ops tend to move MUCH faster than in park ones, because the runners want their picture snapped and to be on their way. We are all in the same boat.

In my opinion if you really enjoy a certain character and they are on the course, you should stop and have a photo. What's another few seconds or minute on your time (unless the balloon ladies are passing you) versus the fond memory and smile the picture will bring you.

And hey, one of them could even turn into your avatar!

I am in D and thinking I may try to buck the notion that you can't PR at a Disney race, particularly with the course being so flat (until the end).

This is my first destination race and Disney race - care to share your ultimate packing list?

I am certain it is possible to PR at Disney and if that's how you want to run your race, more power to you! Please be cautious of the ground in the Animal Kingdom as it is uneven (on purpose, immersive themes and all) and can get a little tied up in the twists and turns. The course will, for all intents and purposes, narrow down to about half its width in the out and back around Mile 6 (10K timing mat area).

As for destination race packing list, I usually pack what I would use at home (with a back up shirt and shorts, for good measure) and some baby wipes. EVERYTHING goes in my carry on. Even on a direct flight. Nobody needs the stress or hassle of having to buy new shoes and running clothes a day or two before the race.

I'm in D too and plan to run for time!

As far as Character lines - I've waited in 30 sec lines to 10 min lines. I figure 30 sec per person, maybe less/more. They don't sign so people shouldn't dilly dally but some people like to hug and interact, where I'm get your picture and go, interaction is for the parks.

Darkwing & Launchpad were with an Animal Kingdom plane (it was a prop at Everest Challenge too) during the Jan 10k, 10 min wait for me from corral B, very worth it! They were going to have to go in though if/when the rain got worse. Unlike Remi & Emile who stayed out in the rain. Anything that looks over 10 min I usually don't stop, but then if characters go in for a break/rotation the wait could get a little longer as their spot is empty for a bit. Seems like when I passed those villains during the marathon everyone was on break and there were just empty prop spots, but I was sick and wasn't stopping anyway.

Yep, that's where I'm at too.

Cool! Honestly I am so looking forward to it and as I've never run a Disney race (or a half) not too bothered about the course as everything will be new to me.

Also all this chatter of what entertainment there will be round the course has got me really enthused.

Although as I'm a bit worried (probably unnecessarily) about getting round in the allotted time, don't think I'll stop for Characters unless there is absolutely no line (which is wishful thinking lol) - As I've gotta keep my pace up. :yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

Although I am not a big fan of the changes for the race (course and time of day), the daylight will be more beneficial to characters on the course and the desolate (non-guest type areas) can allow for larger areas/set-ups.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter