Oh, The Places We’ll Go! From the “stars” to the “sea”: Universal, SeaWorld & beyond - Spring 2016

For Christmas Eve, if it were me, I would totally book either Santa's Fireside Feast (if you are looking for a buffet specifically) or one of the Christmas dining packages that come with reserved seating for the Christmas Celebration shows (an absolute must....the shows *and* the reserved seating). Much as I adore Dine with Shamu, when you are there during the holiday season, I would absolutely say do the Christmas events and leave DWS for another time (assuming it doesn't get the ax as the park continues to evolve).

Gina have you any idea when these are available to book?

As many times as I've been to Sea World I have never seen that underwater viewing area. Where is it?

Also, what is on that mac n cheese? My kids would say it's contaminated and wouldn't eat it. ;)

I am so glad that your Dine with Shamu was so enjoyable. My family did it last Summer in San Antonio and it was a trip highlight for us for sure. We ended up seated right by the trainer that did all of the speaking and after the demo he talked to G fora quite a while, answering questions and making her day. I was so pleased and surprised when my very shy 3 year old talked to him as well. SW does a really good job both entertaining and educating!

That's actually one of the things I simply adore about SeaWorld.....the staff are so knowledgable, so friendly, and so great about educating those guests who really do want to learn more about the amazing animals that are showcased throughout the park. I have yet to run into a SW staff member who couldn't answer a question or didn't seem to really know their stuff. I always learn something new when we visit!

Enjoyed reading your trip report very much. All of our days in the Orlando area, we have not made it to Sea World-might have to get ourselves there.

Have you heard of Manny's Chop House? They have 5 locations and also a location on RT192-very close to the rental house we stay at. It can get noisy (metal walls...), but very popular. Always a line, even before they open at 4. Very close (west) to all our favorites, Miller's Ale House, Bahama Breeze, Sweet Tomatoes, Olive Garden, Flipper's Pizza-just about every restaurant....

Packing is such a chore o_O... We drive, and I always pack too much...

Good luck, sounds like you have a very good chance for the new job! Did you ask for your days off in October during the interviews?! :smooth: ....

Manny's Chop House is a new one for me.....but I just checked out their online menu, and Steve would LOVE it ::yes:: (steak fan that he is). I am going to have to add that to our Orlando bucket list! It's really close to where we are staying for one of our weeks in October (Wyndham Cypress Palms)....hmmmm :scratchin ..... we will have to keep that in mind for sure.

I most definitely did already raise the issue of my October vacation at the very first interview, and they said it would be no problem to allow me that time off. Vacation time was actually the first little detail we discussed (I am sure that surprises no one here :rotfl2:) .... even before we talked salary!!

Gina have you any idea when these are available to book?

SeaWorld is frustratingly slow when it comes to releasing their Christmas Celebration add-ons. Usually mid-October at the earliest. I have seen some of the Christmas special events on the Black Friday sales in the past, though, so definitely keep an eye on that when the time comes!

As many times as I've been to Sea World I have never seen that underwater viewing area. Where is it?

Also, what is on that mac n cheese? My kids would say it's contaminated and wouldn't eat it. ;)

The underwater viewing area is right behind Shamu Stadium (#80 on this map):

https://seaworldparks.com/-/media/seaworld_orlando_com_bak/Park Info/ParkMap/Web-map-3-22-16.ashx

Pretty much if you walk over the bridge from the waterfront to the other side of the park, you are almost right there when you get to the end of the bridge.

The mac & cheese had parsley and cheese on the top. I think they were trying to make it look "gourmet" :flower3:. You would have to dig underneath the fancy-schmancy topping and take the under layer of pasta to avoid the parsley sprinkles.....and probably make sure your kids didn't see it first, too! :laughing:

So if you're walking toward Shamu stadium on the bridge would I go slightly left to get to underwater viewing? I'm thinking that must be it because we usually hang a right and most of the time we only take the bridge when we leave the stadium.

When I was a kid there was no bridge across the lagoon (because of the ski show) so the bridge is still a newish concept for me.

Next time I'm at SeaWorld, I will do my best to get a picture of the menu (I should be there this weekend).

I need to do Dine with Shamu! It looks awesome. I'm pretty sure you got a picture of my friend (he's a trainer at Shamu)

So if you're walking toward Shamu stadium on the bridge would I go slightly left to get to underwater viewing? I'm thinking that must be it because we usually hang a right and most of the time we only take the bridge when we leave the stadium.

When I was a kid there was no bridge across the lagoon (because of the ski show) so the bridge is still a newish concept for me.

Hmmmmm.....I am a bit directionally challenged myself, but I'd say the underwater viewing is straight ahead and off to the right. The opposite direction from Wild Artic. Does that make sense?

I had no idea the bridge wasn't an "always" thing. Ski show?!? That would have been cool to see!

Next time I'm at SeaWorld, I will do my best to get a picture of the menu (I should be there this weekend).

I need to do Dine with Shamu! It looks awesome. I'm pretty sure you got a picture of my friend (he's a trainer at Shamu)

Your friend is a lucky guy! What a job! :worship:

and what would we call that show........

Strange? :rolleyes2

Oh, wait....that's most of TLC's shows.....:rolleyes:.

Well, I am back from my interview, and I think :confused: it went really well. It sure felt positive from where I was sitting, anyway. Hopefully that is actually the case!!

I am supposed to know by the end of the week if I am selected for the position. They have assured me they won't subject me to any further interviews or scrutiny. So now, I wait for news.

Yeah, now I'm nervous :rolleyes2. That said, I'm trying to keep in mind that if its meant to be, it will happen......and if it doesn't, then there is something even better in the Grand Plan.

I shall keep you posted!

Thanks so much for sharing. What a wonderful day and whole trip and TR!! Loved the penguins...must have been so cool to get so up close and personal with them. And the cousin Eddy joke...awesome :) So much fun.

Congrats on your interview! I hope they let you know soon. You're awesome, so it is in their best interest to bring you aboard!

Sounds like a great last day, and the rain really did hold out there for awhile! Packing during a thunderstorm sounds about right.

I have really really enjoyed following your trip through the early planning stages to completion of the TR. Though I know we still have final thoughts and travel day home!!

Dine with Shamu sounds awesome. Hopefully some family matters will get somewhat resolved in the next month so I can make some concrete plan for a Nov trip.

That Shamu bowl has to be the best value in Orlando. Jealous!!!

Fingers crossed for you on the job front!

Heidi

I'm all caught up. Getting upgraded to the 2 bedroom at The Residence Inn was huge! That's one of my favorite hotel chains. I'm sure Jake liked having his own bedroom.

Dinner with Shamu sounds great. I don't have any recent experience with Sea World and I honestly thought it was a character meal with a walking Shamu going table to table. The show at the end sounded cool.

It took me so long to catch up because I had to take a break for a week or two to throw myself a little pity party. I had to cancel our adults-only on site Universal anniversary weekend in September and I was feeling a bit jealous reading about all the Universal fun in detail. I found out a few weeks ago I was expecting again (I'll nearly have Irish twins with my second child just being 13 months when the baby is born in Feb.) We had planned to spend the weekend drinking margaritas and riding thrill rides so not doing either of those made the trip loose its appeal. We will be turning it into a week long family WDW trip, however, so I am looking forward to a trip.

Glad to hear your interview went well! Fingers crossed for you. This will be a long week waiting for the news, I'm sure!

Thanks so much for sharing. What a wonderful day and whole trip and TR!! Loved the penguins...must have been so cool to get so up close and personal with them. And the cousin Eddy joke...awesome :) So much fun.

Thanks Kathy :goodvibes. I appreciate you all sticking around, right through to the end!

"Twin Brothers From Different Mothers"

or

The Duggars Part II

Definitely #1 (how clever you are!!) ... though the second one made me laugh a little :laughing:.

Congrats on your interview! I hope they let you know soon. You're awesome, so it is in their best interest to bring you aboard!

Sounds like a great last day, and the rain really did hold out there for awhile! Packing during a thunderstorm sounds about right.

I have really really enjoyed following your trip through the early planning stages to completion of the TR. Though I know we still have final thoughts and travel day home!!

Thank you for the kind words :goodvibes. Definitely some final thoughts and a wrap up (including the cost breakdown of all that fun :scared1:) is coming up before I officially declare this report "over". Probably not today, though, as my thoughts are bit jumbled (yeah, this whole job thing has sidelined my concentration) and tonight we will be celebrating Steve's birthday. I hope to have the final entry ready for posting sometime tomorrow :thumbsup2.

Dine with Shamu sounds awesome. Hopefully some family matters will get somewhat resolved in the next month so I can make some concrete plan for a Nov trip.

That Shamu bowl has to be the best value in Orlando. Jealous!!!

Fingers crossed for you on the job front!

Heidi

Fingers crossed your late autumn vacation can come together exactly as you hope!! What a great time to visit, especially if you can take advantage of some of the Christmas season events while you're there (assuming you will travel later in the month versus early November).

I agree on the sundae value: I'm just hoping that they don't realize what a bargain it is and hike the price!! :rolleyes:

I'm all caught up. Getting upgraded to the 2 bedroom at The Residence Inn was huge! That's one of my favorite hotel chains. I'm sure Jake liked having his own bedroom.

Dinner with Shamu sounds great. I don't have any recent experience with Sea World and I honestly thought it was a character meal with a walking Shamu going table to table. The show at the end sounded cool.

It took me so long to catch up because I had to take a break for a week or two to throw myself a little pity party. I had to cancel our adults-only on site Universal anniversary weekend in September and I was feeling a bit jealous reading about all the Universal fun in detail. I found out a few weeks ago I was expecting again (I'll nearly have Irish twins with my second child just being 13 months when the baby is born in Feb.) We had planned to spend the weekend drinking margaritas and riding thrill rides so not doing either of those made the trip loose its appeal. We will be turning it into a week long family WDW trip, however, so I am looking forward to a trip.

Glad to hear your interview went well! Fingers crossed for you. This will be a long week waiting for the news, I'm sure!

Oh, wow......congratulations on the big news!!! While the timing may have been a little off (and you're going to be one busy lady!! Two babes at once!) you are one lucky gal ::yes::. All the best for an easy pregnancy and a healthy little one in 7? months or so. A week at Disney in September will be just what you all need :goodvibes.

Ya know, SeaWorld is a GREAT place to take little ones ;). When that new baby makes his or her debut, it might be a nice change of pace for a family trip, when you are ready to embark on another family adventure. I know that is where I will be taking my grandbabies when they make their debut.

Lucky for me, this Friday is a statutory holiday here in Canada (our Canada Day, equivalent to your 4th of July) so hopefully they will give me an answer by Thursday at the latest. Good news come to those who wait, right? :rolleyes1

What a perfect ending to the trip. Even the storm seemed to fit in to the story.

I have to say, you guys really know how to do SeaWorld right. I don't think we've even scratched the surface in the days we have spent there.

Good luck with the job!

Oh, wow......congratulations on the big news!!! While the timing may have been a little off (and you're going to be one busy lady!! Two babes at once!) you are one lucky gal ::yes::. All the best for an easy pregnancy and a healthy little one in 7? months or so. A week at Disney in September will be just what you all need :goodvibes.

Ya know, SeaWorld is a GREAT place to take little ones ;). When that new baby makes his or her debut, it might be a nice change of pace for a family trip, when you are ready to embark on another family adventure. I know that is where I will be taking my grandbabies when they make their debut.

Lucky for me, this Friday is a statutory holiday here in Canada (our Canada Day, equivalent to your 4th of July) so hopefully they will give me an answer by Thursday at the latest. Good news come to those who wait, right? :rolleyes1

Thanks for the kind words. I re-read my initial post and saw that I might have come off as ungrateful. That's not the case. We've always wanted 3 and I think it will be great in the long run having all the kids be close in age.

Sea World is a great idea. I do really look forward to taking the kids there one day. Before we decided to do the family trip in Sept I thought about just keeping our weekend flight for my husband and I and doing discovery cove and sea world instead of universal. I'm sure that would have been wonderful as well!

Fingers crossed you get the news you are hoping for on Thursday!!

I'm all caught up and back! What fun you guys had! I'm so glad we got to follow along. Dining with Shamu looks great but that chocolate cake looks downright sinful. I'm sure I will be making it to SeaWorld with my future offspring one of these days. I just hope that cake (and that Shamu sundae) is there for me!

Fingers crossed that you get the new job AND will have the time to continue your trip reporting! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter