Ohana or Jiko?!

Alyssa Hamilton

Mouseketeer
i am so torn! I'm going for just a weekend and I'm unsure if I should choose Jiko over Ohana. I have a Ohana reservation and have been there before and loved it. I have never been to Jiko but hear such great things. It's just my boyfriend and I traveling. I know the food styles are different and so is the atmosphere but we eat everything. Help!

What are your plans for that day and where are you staying? I like picking restaurants that'll be convenient to get to with my plans. How long is the trip, could you maybe do both on different days?

Agree with @FSU Girl i would choose restaurant partially based on convenience to resort and/or park. you can't go wrong with either restaurant IMO so maybe the deciding factor could be proximity. I love Ohana, and we're trying Jiko for the first time in 3 weeks!

Also, Ohana is a very difficult reservation to get, Jiko not so much. Maybe hold onto that Ohana res as long as you can!

The trip is only four days. In the morning we're going to AK and then going back to the grand Floridian to swim for a few hours. No set plans after that

The trip is only four days. In the morning we're going to AK and then going back to the grand Floridian to swim for a few hours. No set plans after that
Will you have a car? Transportation to get to Ohana from Grand Floridian will be pretty easy. Driving to Animal Kingdom Lodge wouldn't be too bad, but if you have to take the bus you'll need to go to a park then transfer onto a bus heading to that hotel.

My girlfriend and I personally prefer Jiko over Ohana. We ate there a few months ago and fell in love with the staff, the food, the whole nine yards. We are going back in 2 days and have reservations on Sunday. What you could do is keep your Ohana reservation and eat at the bar at Jiko whenever you can get over there. You can order the full menu from the bar (they have small tables too) or just relax with some wine and some appetizers. But if you like spicy try the Manti dumplings!

Ohana then, by a country mile. You're right next door, can walk there, and as you already know Ohana is amazing!

Jiko would be resort to resort so you'd either have to take a cab or take the monorail to MK and transfer to a bus to AKL. Just seems like a lot of leg work when you already scored a great reservation at Ohana.

Maybe if you were going to AK later in the day, you could hit AKL after for dinner. But going from the GF to AK to the GF and back to AKL again seems like a lot of travel. Unless I'm just lazy? :rolleyes:

i am so torn! I'm going for just a weekend and I'm unsure if I should choose Jiko over Ohana. I have a Ohana reservation and have been there before and loved it. I have never been to Jiko but hear such great things. It's just my boyfriend and I traveling. I know the food styles are different and so is the atmosphere but we eat everything. Help!

'Ohana by far!!

Jiko is "foodie" quality yet with a laid back professional staff. Took 2 children there, a 12 and 8 y/o and they loved the food and overall atmosphere. The 8 year older was somehow less intimidated by the darkened quiet room knowing that giraffes were eating their dinner right outside as well, LOL.

Ohana's is fun, large quantities of quite decent food and one of the quintessential multi-generational restaurants @ DW. Never ate within it but heard the laughter of the cocoanut race as I sat at the bar as well as the packed lounge area as people waited for their reservations. I've eaten their dinner utilising room service and can better understand why the constant ADRs.

For an adults only meal I'd choose Jiko's and get a new experience:). Since you are staying at the GF, after dinner, I'd hangout at Disney Springs which strikes me as having a relaxed cosmopolitan vibe.

Two different types of restaurants: AYCE versus signature. TBH, I would choose Ohana because I don't care for African spiced food. Plus the menu at Jiko does not appeal to me.

Jiko for sure!! Take Uber -- worth it!! :thumbsup2

I know that Ohana is love or hate for dinner (you love, we hate!), but even of those who love Ohana, I'd bet 99.9% of them would agree that the food at Jiko is much better. Such higher variety, creativity, etc., etc.

YOU WILL NOT REGRET JIKO!

I would choose Jiko. The food and atmosphere are wonderful. You can also wander around the resort and check out the animals after dinner. Maybe you can go to AK Park in the afternoon, to make getting to Jiko easier. Also, not sure if you have annual passes, but there is a 30% off dining special going on now at Jiko. I believe that runs until September.

I didnt think the food at Ohana was that good. For that reason alone, i'd pick Jiko. :teeth:
I heard good things, but never ate at Jiko. A friend of mine has been and loved it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter