'Ohanas and Fireworks if staying off property

cbbi

Mouseketeer
Still trying to complete schedules for a trip we are planning with friends for first week of June. We have a 7:00 pm PS at 'Ohana. We are staying at a villa off property -- will we be able to stay around the Poly to watch the 10pm fireworks from the beach? And if so - could someone tell me how I get to the beach from 'Ohana?

The beach at teh Polynesian is intended for the exclusive use of guests of the Polynesian.

If you walk along the water heading towards the GF, there is a ton of viewing which is not restricted. Follow the signs for Luau Cove and walk a little farther and you'll be there :) Lots of lawn area to sit on as you near the GF Health Club and Spa that isn't restricted to guests of the GF.

Anne

Cbbi, you can go to the beach on you visit to O'hanas at that point you are a paying guest. The only restricted area of any resort area is the pool; I believe. If the beach was restricted, that would mean even another resort guest couldn't go to that beach which isn't the case, you can resort hop to tour and eat. That's one of the fun things to do while there.
When you go to dinner you usually get a three hour parking pass which will put it's expiration at ten. I think they would allow a fifteen minute or so ( aprox length of fireworks ) exception if you let them know when they issue the pass.

We tried Ohanas for the first time in October and we really enjoyed it! As we were finishing dinner, our waiter asked if we were going down to the beach to watch the fireworks, and we said we would like to do that!

We went to the beach and there was hardly anyone out there! We watched the fireworks sitting on the swing and had a great time! We went back inside and did some shopping before heading back to our hotel (All Star Movies).

We plan to go to Ohanas again on our upcoming trip! Once you go out the main building, you will easily be able to get to the beach! Enjoy!!!!

We always walk down to the beach at the Poly after dinner at Ohanas to watch the fireworks. Never had a problem.

The beach at teh Polynesian is intended for the exclusive use of guests of the Polynesian.
:confused:

jwill is totally right, you are a paying guest, so you are allowed to watch the fireworks from the beach there. We have done this several times and enjoyed it very much.

The beach at the Polynesian is intended for the exclusive use of guests of the Polynesian.

HUH?!? I missed the Mickey Mouse law that states this and I have stayed at both the GF lagoon/concierge and Poly lagoon/concierge more times then I can count. :confused:

Oh...so THAT"S the reason for that Mickey-shaped barbed wire surrounding the beach...I get it now...it's restricted....LOL

Cbbi, you can go to the beach on you visit to O'hanas at that point you are a paying guest.

So true Jwill; not to mention the fact that dinner at O'hana's may end up costing a ton more then the rate of the room at the Poly. :rolleyes:

I'm sure no one will kick you off the beach, whether it's officially allowed or not. But if it were me, I wouldn't bother watching the fireworks from the Poly, it's much more comfortable and relaxing from Ducky's lanai. Of course not everyone is as lucky as I am to to be working for her....so I guess the Poly Beach is ok for "regular" people.

I for one do hope that only resort guest can use resort amenities. I am looking forward to going to the All-Star Resort one day when I can save enough money and the last thing I want is to share my pool with people from the Grand Floridian.

Ahhh...nobody ever checks...I always stay off property...usually at a Days Inn or something...and when we need a break...we just go over to the Grand Floridian and just use the pool---we never have a a problem...it's a blast...bring a cooler with a six pack--it's a nice break to have a couple of beers by the pool....:D

Originally posted by springsteenmickey
I for one do hope that only resort guest can use resort amenities. I am looking forward to going to the All-Star Resort one day when I can save enough money and the last thing I want is to share my pool with people from the Grand Floridian.
:hyper:

There's no rule against anyone (resort guest or not) standing (or sitting) on the beach to watch the fireworks. Just bring insect repellant, and maybe a sweater in case it's windy that night (it can be chilly with the wind blowing over the water, even during the summer).
-AP

Originally posted by Magickndm

jwill is totally right, you are a paying guest, so you are allowed to watch the fireworks from the beach there.

Actually, the signs say the beaches and pools are for exclusive use of Polynesian resort guests. I take that to mean the guests that are actually staying at there, which does not include restaurant patrons. However...

We have stayed at the Polynesian many times and I have never seen anyone turned away or asked to leave the pools or beaches there. Not even July 4th. There is no reason to hike over to GF. Go to the Polynesian beach by the pool. :D

Originally posted by apnic
There's no rule against anyone (resort guest or not) standing (or sitting) on the beach to watch the fireworks.

That is incorrect. Signs are up stating the rules. They are just not enforced. :D

That is incorrect. Signs are up stating the rules. They are just not enforced.

Oh I have every ounce of faith that apic is correct about this one. Let's just say she knows WAAAAY more then anyone that posted on this thread where Disney rules are concerned. ;)

ROTFLMBO...'not enforced' is an understatement. You mean just like how as a 'Disney Resort Guest' your SUPPOSE to have exclusive use of WDW transportation?!? LMAO...yeah tell that to every person of the general public who gets on the CR/Poly/GF monorail just to get off at the TTC in order to avoid the looooooong wait for the other monorail...I'd LOVE to see Disney TRY to enforce that...lol

I spent well over $10,000 at WDW for two weeks on my honeymoon, you don't actually think for one second that some CM is going to tell me that I CAN'T watch the fireworks from the beach on the Poly? ESPECAILLY after I had to share my 'exclusive monorail'....lmao...of course they won't, that's why a ton of those rules are not 'enforced'.

Translation: As long as they are getting your money, Disney really doesn't care.

Back on topic; note to the OP - the Poly fireworks are WAY too far from the castle anyhow....if you want to see the Wishes show the RIGHT way, after your dinner at O'hana's - get on the monorail and get off at the CR. Go up to the 15th floor (the one that the California Grill is on) and go outside to watch them...BEST seats in the house!!!!!

Originally posted by madonna31

Back on topic; note to the OP - the Poly fireworks are WAY too far from the castle anyhow....if you want to see the Wishes show the RIGHT way, after your dinner at O'hana's - get on the monorail and get off at the CR. Go up to the 15th floor (the one that the California Grill is on) and go outside to watch them...BEST seats in the house!!!!!

Madonna31 I promise I don't mean to undermine your post because it is a new policy but they aren't allowing guests that aren't dining and /or drinking at the California Grill out of the 15th floor balcony anymore. They used to in the past though. There is a balcony on the 4th floor I believe. As for the original issue about who can and cannot watch the fireworks from the beach at the Poly...This subject has been brought up before and it always bugged me since whenever we have eaten at the Poly they(employees) have encouraged us to walk around the resort and to watch the fireworks from the beach. It became such a debate I emailed Customer Service at WDW and posed the question. They emailed me back and said a representative would phone me. He sure did and he assured me that while the pool is for the exclusive use of guests staying at the Poly or DVC members, that we are welcomed to watch the fireworks from the beach. He said the signs are really meant so non resort guests don't take up all the chairs in the daytime when most guests use the beach and that it is not usually a problem at night but did say if it were to get crowded for fireworks they hoped non resort guests wouldn't take up the chairs but were welcomed to stand or sit in the sand if they'd like. That's the official line I got!

Yes, the 15th floor observation deck at the CR is for CA Grill guests only. That rule has been in effect for a couple years at least and they do enforce it...rather easily I might add, since the elevators open right in front of the host/hostess station.

It really became a problem after hoardes of Denny's-eating, off-property-staying "guests" would file through the restaurant disrupting everyone's meal every evening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter