'Ohanas and Fireworks if staying off property

Originally posted by wdwoldtimer
It really became a problem after hoardes of Denny's-eating, off-property-staying "guests" would file through the restaurant disrupting everyone's meal every evening.
You talkin' to me?

Bottom line it, if you eat ay Ohana's, yes, you can watch the fireworks there. As madonna31 said, it's not the best spot to view them since you are so far away and you can't hear the music, but it's still a very relaxing way to end an evening.

Um...and how long exactly has this so called 'rule' about the CG been in effect?!?

We've been there twice w/o eating at CG and arrived there by means of the elevators that open right in front of the host/hostess station...and no one said SQUAT.

The last time we did this on our most recent trip (January 2004) I'm not saying you guys aren't right, I'm just saying that I've done it for the past 20 years and have YET to be told by someone that I can't.

It really became a problem after hoardes of Denny's-eating, off-property-staying "guests" would file through the restaurant disrupting everyone's meal every evening.
Humm, wait a sec...that's NOT the balcony I'm referring to. Not the one inside the CG...psst...make a LEFT when you come off of the elevators, not a right.........

You know I really am a rule abider which is why I posed the question in the first place -- On the other hand - my husband the attorney lives to break the rules - so I think we are going to take Madonna's advice and take our mmm what's the quote - "Denny's-eating, off-property-staying" selves to the CR. Madonna we love your style!

Thanks for all who have answered - it's the first time ever to WDW for our friends and I just wanted to do something simple and special for their first night - without having to enter the park after a long day of traveling.

Thanks also for the note about bug spray -- I wouldn't have thought of that.

PS - We won't really be a horde - just 2 fairly nice families with well behaved children who are staying in a villa this time around. Actually our friends are spending part of their stay on site - does that make things better?

When I ate at Ohana last year, the fireworks started during dinner. BEFORE dinner we walked around the resort and down by the beach. I believe that using the beach or pool is a no-no. I do not believe that standing or walking is "using" the beach. Using a beach would be laying out or swimming. I live in South FL where there are many hotels (no joke) and lots have restaurants inside. You'd better believe that you can walk around the grounds before or after dinner. Any hotel or condo (like mine) that does not want you to use their beach will have a sign that everyone can understand- "no trespassing".

I think we are going to take Madonna's advice and take our mmm what's the quote - "Denny's-eating, off-property-staying" selves to the CR. Madonna we love your style!

You GO girl!!! ::yes::

I had no idea that sitting on the Poly beach watching the fireworks wasn't allowed! Oops, we did this last trip. We ate at 'Ohana, then sat on the beach and watched the MK fireworks. It was actually a nice view, yeah we were far but still worth it! Anyway, we told our waiter at 'Ohana that we were dong it and he said, "Great idea!" Also, I must say that there was only maybe 3 other families on the beach with us, the kids were all running around together having a blast, there was TONS of empty space and empty beach chairs, so it's not like we were taking away from a Poly guest.

BUT, I do abide by rules, and if this indeed is a rule (I will check for myself when we get there...we will be eating at 'Ohana again next trip), we won't sit on the Poly beach anymore. No biggie.

Hey, this thread is cracking me up. But also I got to thinking, would 'Ohana be a good thing to do first night and then watch the fireworks? And if so, what time do the fireworks start so I would know when to make my PS? We are two grown-ups (kind of) and a 3 year old.

Or maybe should we go to chef Mickey's and take our Pop-Century staying selves up to the balcony? teehee

Thanks!

Beth

Tinkerbeth - I found the schedule for fireworks by clicking on Home then Theme Parks and then Park Hours under Park Information.

Originally posted by tinkerbeth

Or maybe should we go to chef Mickey's and take our Pop-Century staying selves up to the balcony?

You don't need a PS to watch the fireworks at the resorts. :wave2:

Last trip we stayed off-site and ate dinner 1st night at Chef Mickey's. Afterward, we rode the monorail to Poly to watch EWP from the dock there. It was relatively empty, plenty of chairs for anyone who wanted one, and it never even occured to me we were doing something wrong. Walked around the Poly for a long time (I haven't been since I was a kid), and the kids begged us to swim in the Volcano Pool. Of course, we knew the answer had to be "no," since we weren't paying guests. The kids and DH did fall in love with the Poly though, and of course, we HAVE to stay there next trip!

It's definitely to Disney's advantage to allow "outsiders" to taste the atmospheres of their resorts. I'll bet they benefit much more than they lose in the long run.

Does anyone know if the Wishes music is piped in anywhere on the beach area? I would love to see Wishes from a different perspective, but it would not be the same without hearing it also.

It's definitely to Disney's advantage to allow "outsiders" to taste the atmospheres of their resorts. I'll bet they benefit much more than they lose in the long run.
It sure is to their advantage...your 'countdown to the Poly' in your sig PROVES that!!

Scotthart sorry - you only have music from the MK fireworks piped for the New Year's Eve celebration. That's why I recommended the balcony at the CR (not the one INSIDE the California Grill, take a left when you get off the elevator) as you CAN hear the music from there!

I'm calling my friend at the CA Grill right now to shut down the "left" side as well. Can't have any riff-raff free loading anymore.

Originally posted by madonna31

ROTFLMBO...'not enforced' is an understatement. You mean just like how as a 'Disney Resort Guest' your SUPPOSE to have exclusive use of WDW transportation?!? LMAO...yeah tell that to every person of the general public who gets on the CR/Poly/GF monorail just to get off at the TTC in order to avoid the looooooong wait for the other monorail...I'd LOVE to see Disney TRY to enforce that...lol

Just as an aside, WDW transportation is included with the price of admission to the parks not only for resort guest.

Originally posted by wdwoldtimer
I'm calling my friend at the CA Grill right now to shut down the "left" side as well. Can't have any riff-raff free loading anymore.
So you know the CA Grill owner?

Oh is it now?

So as a 'park guest' you can take a Friendship boat to the Boardwalk or a bus from MGM Studios to the Grand?

That must go over REAL well during busy season when there is not even standing room on the resort buses and boats.

Hope I'm not getting off the subject here... but we have a PS for Ohanas' in May and I tried to schedule it so that we were inside the restaurant for Wishes. Would it be better to try and reschedule our PS for earlier so that we can watch from the beach instead? I know our kids will be thrilled regardless. Thanks for any opinions.

Hola Madre de Minnie (just getting into the spirit of Cinco de Mayo)....

Ducky's lanai is an exclusive place where you can watch the fireworks, sit on a comfy chair and hang out with good peeps while sipping a glass of vino.

Here's what I'm talking about:

disboardimage.jpg

That's the view from Duckylite's new vacation home. (She's my newest buddy here on the DIS....sort of) I can put a good word in for you if you want to hang out on her lanai.

keerymom, if I was you, I'd keep the PS. If you ask for a window seat when you check in, they usually accomodate you, or at least get you on a window side of the restaurant. They turn the light down and pipe in the music from the fireworks. It's one of my favorite ways to see them.

Or, if you're wdwoldtimer, you're lucky enough to know someone with a great view. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter