ok, I am getting nervous, does DVC cut us a break if a Hurricane is approaching?

Rozzie

DIS Cast Member
does DVC ever be a little easier to cancel with if a Hurricane is forecasted? I was told by my guide when I bought this year that DVC was really understanding during last season. I have a trip in 7 days, spent all day on NOAA, seems there is a wave they are forecasting to strengthen and come into the gulf. The problem is, if there is a tropical system in the Gulf which is breathing toward NW Florida, my vacation gets automatically gets cancelled. (I'm a nurse on Gulf Coast) this will be our only DVC trip in hurricane season because of this policy. Just really wanted to go for my 30th...Rats...

any feedback???

Well, the good news is, it doesn't look like there are any hurricanes currently on the horizon...

...The bad news is that I'm not sure that you would be cut a break for your situation. Your situtaion is certainly unique-- so in any event, I would most defintely talk to DVC if it happens. I think, however, the only way it would really be something they would, across the board help with, would be if a hurricane were to hit Orlando directly.

...Have you looked into the travel insurance that accompanies the confirmations? I haven't, but that may be a good investment for you!

DVC has tended to be pretty accomodating in these types of situations. Once you have the problem, I would try to call them. Most travel insurance will not cover a hurricane that has already formed.

They've been somewhat flexible for impending hurricanes to the area though I don't think they'd be flexible days ahead on a just in case situation.

At first, I didn't think I saw anything in the wave south of Puerto Rico (66W, south of 20N) In fact, on most of the loops, what little rotation there is appears to be going in the wrong direction. However, looking at Storm Floater 1, there may be just a little cyclonic rotation starting. If that proves out, I'm sure they'll send a plane in this afternoon. That's the bad news.

The good news that storms which form there usually go straight west into Mexico, especially this year. In addition, that wave is moving west pretty quickly (20 kts), which will both inhibit development somewhat and also make Mexico more likely than the U.S. as a landfall point.

The other good news is that if a storm forms, it will probably be gone a week from now.

DVC has no "special circumstance" stated policy. However, in the case of large storms (hurricanes & blizzards), unimaginable circumstances (9/11), and even individual dire circumstances such as the death of an immediate family member, the member should contact DVC and discuss the situation. Of course, the sooner you do this the more likely an agreement can be reached. Traditionally, DVC has been quite reasonable.

Good News! Way to go Jim!

I was really impressed with all the wonderful weathery type verbage.

I vote we make you our official DVC weather man, anyone else agree?

Will you do it for us Jim?

Thanks,
Tom

T.E. Yeary said:
Good News! Way to go Jim!

I was really impressed with all the wonderful weathery type verbage.

I vote we make you our official DVC weather man, anyone else agree?

Will you do it for us Jim?

Thanks,
Tom
I'm not a meteorologist...but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Actually, I just steal the terminology from NOAA. I could tell from Rozzie's original post that she follows this stuff and would know what I was talking about.

Dean said:
They've been somewhat flexible for impending hurricanes to the area though I don't think they'd be flexible days ahead on a just in case situation.
To be serious for a moment, I think Dean is exactly right.

Disney was very accommodating last year, but you have to remember that Central Florida took direct hits from three of the four hurricanes which hit the state. I'd guess they would try to work with you if you actually had to cancel because your employer cancelled your vacation due to a storm, but that might depend on a lot of factors.

If you are flying, the airlines are usually pretty good about allowing free re-schedulings.

Absent some kind of pre-negotiated arrangement, if you cancel at this late date, the points will go into "holding account," which is a really bad thing. I'd sure talk it over with them before making any decision that would put your points in holding.

But, as I said above, I don't think you are going to have that problem.

JimMIA said:
I'm not a meteorologist...but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night!.

I hope you're better dressed than the guy on tv!!

If I knew how to operate and post those smiley faces, it would be so much more fun for me!

Tom

Jim,
How many points did that Holiday Inn Express set you back?
Inquiring Minds Wants to Know!!!!!!

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:
Tom - If you hit reply, theres a selection to the right. WHen you get to the point in your text that you want one, you just click on it. There's an option ofr more at the bottom. The really fancy ones are brought in from other sites. That's above me.

Rozzie - :wizard: that you can take you rtrip!

Carrie thanks for the help! You can collect your discount from rinkwide!

Tom :teeth:

T.E. Yeary said:

Anytime Tom! :rotfl:

JimMIA said:
Absent some kind of pre-negotiated arrangement, if you cancel at this late date, the points will go into "holding account," which is a really bad thing. I'd sure talk it over with them before making any decision that would put your points in holding.

Just as a note all points in holding accounts are not that bad overall. We ended up with 60 points in holding due to a work situation and because it was early in our use year were able to make arrangements to use them at WDW.

manning said:
I hope you're better dressed than the guy on tv!!
I don't own a webcam (what can I tell you?), so I know you don't know for sure. You'll just have to use your imagination, but I'll give you a clue: Think WAY South Florida!

T.E. Yeary said:

:teacher:
No, actually Rinkwide pirate: was only being helpful. He didn't receive any benefit at all from Carrie's thoughtfulness. :sad2:

You will notice, Tom, that all the rest of us were letting you "...twist slowly in the wind!" :charac2:

But now that Carrie has created a monster, I think it's you who owes her a modest 20% discount. :smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter