ok, I am getting nervous, does DVC cut us a break if a Hurricane is approaching?

JimMIA said:
To be serious for a moment, I think Dean is exactly right.

Disney was very accommodating last year, but you have to remember that Central Florida took direct hits from three of the four hurricanes which hit the state. I'd guess they would try to work with you if you actually had to cancel because your employer cancelled your vacation due to a storm, but that might depend on a lot of factors.

If you are flying, the airlines are usually pretty good about allowing free re-schedulings.

Absent some kind of pre-negotiated arrangement, if you cancel at this late date, the points will go into "holding account," which is a really bad thing. I'd sure talk it over with them before making any decision that would put your points in holding.

But, as I said above, I don't think you are going to have that problem.
I doubt that DVC would be all that flexible on personal situations. They have mainly bit the bullet on things like 9/11 and the hurricanes that directly affected the area. They might for a death of an immediate family member but it'd have to be on a case by case basis. I doubt they'd do much for anything else and I don't really think I want them to set a precedent in this area since everybody has a story when it comes to things like this. And while a one time thing for a handful of people will have little affect on the rest of the members, 2-3% per week able to cancel at the last minute would have a major impact on the system. I'm not unsympathetic but it has to stop somewhere.

hey guys thanks for all your good thoughts and advice. JimMIA was right, I watch NOAA like a geek in a lab. ;) It is really intresting to watch the tropics when you kinda can follow NOAA's reports. The intresting part ends when the storm hits you of course, Ivan gave us 25k of damage. Not bad, considering we could count on two hands friends that lost EVERYTHING! very sad...
anyway I don't want anyone to think I was in anyway looking for special favors from DVC, just kinda really was curious about their policies since my guide made it a point to say how understanding they were last season. What happens will happen, and if our trip gets slashed, well it won't be the first or last time. This will be our last trip during hurricane season for sure!!!

Thanks for all the pixie dust :wizard: ya'll are great!

I'm not sure I like the way this thread is going! :scared:

I tried to help Jim with a "new" career and it's going to end up costing me money. How fair is that? :sad:

Tom

I suppose we could use the discount to put towards Jim's webcam and the proper "on-screen" clothes! :teeth:

I'm not going to prolong the agony here, but I have three things to say:
  1. I agree with Dean.
  2. I agree with Rinkwide
  3. Carrie has created a monster! "No good deed goes unpunished."

rinkwide said:
20% off for Carrie on her next resale.
:rotfl2: Well, if he's going to be THAT gratelful, I'd be willing to do a special tutorial on how to bring in the extra special smilies from other sites (even though I'd have to learn how, first, LOL)!

Best wishes -

JimMIA said:
"No good deed goes unpunished."
Who let my MIL on this site???!!! :scared1:
Love the new smilies Tom! FYI - No need to worry about my collecting on that discount. It'll be quite some time before we can even think about adding on. :(

Thanks for all the laughs!!

Dean said:
I doubt that DVC would be all that flexible on personal situations. They have mainly bit the bullet on things like 9/11 and the hurricanes that directly affected the area. They might for a death of an immediate family member but it'd have to be on a case by case basis. I doubt they'd do much for anything else and I don't really think I want them to set a precedent in this area since everybody has a story when it comes to things like this.

Don't need to worry about precedents and here is my story. When we were there in March and were stranded two days due to a massive snowstorm in the NE and the airline cancelled 12 hours before our flight - there was no mercy or break from CRO or DVC. We paid top dollar, they wouldn't even waive the cancellation policy if we booked two nights and only had to stay one. So we had to book one night. See if we could get out the next day and then book another night when we couldn't. And we had to move rooms also because we had no clue when we would be able to leave until it was too late to stay in the room another night.

The OP is in Alabama. If a storm is only approaching the Gulf Coast and is not threatening Orlando I would say DVC will not accomodate. If they did, they would have to accomodate every major snowstorm, every major weather event for all travellers planning to arrive at WDW that get weather systems approaching them. Why just a hurricane approaching the Gulf Coast?

The only time I could see them accomodating travelers is when WDW itself is in the path. And even that - they really do it out of customer service - they are in no obligation to do anything! I agree with Dean, don't want to see a precedent set with regards to weather events outside of the area.

kathleena, I agree, but there are NO COST items like waiving the cancellation policy in the situation you cited. Plus I can tell you that there is one big principle in businesses that deal with the public. I suspect it has a name but I don't know it, it goes something like this. If anything comes up that is questionable or might not be covered or allowed, always say no initially. That way even if you say yes later on, you can say your policy is to say no.

Dean said:
kathleena, I agree, but there are NO COST items like waiving the cancellation policy in the situation you cited. Plus I can tell you that there is one big principle in businesses that deal with the public. I suspect it has a name but I don't know it, it goes something like this. If anything comes up that is questionable or might not be covered or allowed, always say no initially. That way even if you say yes later on, you can say your policy is to say no.

Yes, I was surprised when they said they would not even waive the no cancellation policy for the second night. I explained that we couldn't book another flight out because the storm was supposed tracking slow and going right where we needed to go (PA up to ME), but no dice. I asked a few times during the conversation. Have to say I was disappointed with that answer.

And glad I at least had the AP to get 25% off. But with the new AP policy - we wouldn't have even received that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter