• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ok, I'm feeling mopey coz I can't go this year...

NIK

<font color=deeppink>Compulsive planner<font color
so I'm wondering what images, mental pictures or views of DLP give folk the most pleasure.

For me it is that first sight of the Castle as you come in to Main St or Disney Village at night.

What gives you that 'yippee we're here' moment? :grouphug: Do you have a favourite spot in DLP that you always head to? Is there a picture in the ads that always makes you wish you could pack your bags and :teleport: ?

Walking through the garden's before going through the entrance barrier. Sends a tingle down the back of my neck :goodvibes

Reid

It's the music for me, as soon as I hear the faint tinkling of Disney songs I'm there, by the time I get into Main Street USA - I've completely forgotten my "non-Disney" life and all the stress and worries that go with it. That's why I love Disney so much and yes the realists are right - it is fake, contrived and commercial, I can live with that. I'm just happy that for at least one week in the year I can take myself and my family away from talk of wars, disasters, street crime, sex and every other horror that we're subjected to in everyday life, they'll all still be there when we get back home.
I don't care that the Disney ethos means their employees have to treat us with courtesy and politeness, possibly they're shot at dawn if they don't - I don't know ! but where else are you greeted when you go into a store and bid farewell when you leave, even when you haven't bought anything, where else can you queue for rides and have those in charge talk and interact with your bored children. Perhaps, I've always been very lucky but the DCM's I've spoken to have never been anything other than completely helpful and courteous, a pumpkin man even told me I was very beautiful last October which was way beyond any call of duty - believe me. :rotfl:

.....and, to answer your question Nik "Is there a picture in the ads that always makes you wish you could pack your bags and ?"
Every single one of them. ::MickeyMo

It's the music in Town Square that does it for me :banana: - oooohhhhh, now I really need to go back NOW!!!!!!

You're absolutely right Jill - it's pure escapism!!! I have a really nice life but it's still magical to be able to escape to a world where everyone's happy and kind (well, almost everyone!! :rotfl: ) and there are none of the everyday stresses. I always think it's like that scene in Mary Poppins where they jump into a picture drawn on the pavement and disappear into a magical land of sunshine (well, at WDW anyway!) and colour and music. How could anyone not love that???

I think I have to agree with Reid - walking through the gardens to the entrance - knowing what's on the other side.

Jill was spot on with what she said in her post about forgetting your troubles and the outside world while you're there etc. Although I must admit to buying an english newspaper last November cos I needed to know who'd been voted out on "I'm a Celebrity"! Yes I know I'm sad!

When I've gone on day trips from Paris, the magic came in two waves. I get a first wave when I go under the arch that says Welcome to Disneyland Paris on my way from the train station.

On the day trips, my second wave depends on whether I'm going to Disneyland Park or the Studios. When I'm going to Disneyland Park, the magic starts when I hit Main Street. Between the music, the castle, and the familiar surroundings, it's just there! I'm a big veteran of WDW in Florida (hey, it's only 2.5 hours away by plane!), and before I ever went to DLP I wasn't sure how it would be. But as soon as I hit Main Street at DLP, this was DISNEY!!! On my first visit, it felt magical because it felt like I was in WDW. On subsequent trips, it felt magical because I knew I was at DLP! But Main Street at WDW and DLP are fairly similar until you get to the castle (the music is about 90% the same, the buildings are very similar).

I get an equally large wave of magic on my way to the Studios when I see the entrance to the Studios, hear the Hollywood-esque music, and see the Earful Tower. I get another little second wave of magic after leaving Studio One and seeing the "Partners" statue of Mickey & Walt.

On my trip where we stayed on site for multiple days, it didn't feel like I was in Disney until I got to the park and saw that it was snowing. The hotel was gorgeous, and it was magical in its own right, but it didn't hit me that I was in Disney.

Seeing the Princess Parade and hearing that music (Dancin' a Catchy Rhythm) never fails to get me going!!!

I agree with you all about leaving the real world behind. Like Jill, I'm not totally blind to the fact that DLP and Disney generally is designed to part you from your hard earned :bitelip: but, to walk through those gates, see the Castle in the distance and all the wonderful music - nice to be a kid again for a few days :cheer2: What's so wrong about a bit of pixie dust in this horrible old world anyway? I'm not blessed with a wonderful job or a home life that is an unalloyed joy [whose is!? :confused3 :confused3 ] I'm mostly very earthbound but for those few days away I switch off the old mobile and forget about it all.

Music wise for me, the Halloween parade music hits the spot.

Hi Guys

the reason I like the gardens is the anticipation :banana: of the world I'm about to enter :wizard:

Once through the gates the music, the castle :love:

Reid

I'm going to have to be very unoriginal, and say it's the moment I step onto Main Street from under the railway bridge. It's like stepping into another world, with the music playing (I remember last time it was songs from Show Boat), and all the beautiful, quaint buildings (with shops just waiting to have money spent in them! :teeth: ), and then you turn the corner and the castle's right in front of you. It's always my favourite moment of the holiday.

Another favourite thing for me to do is go exploring on Adventure Isle. It always takes me back to my first ever trip there (when I was 8), and I thought it was the greatest place in the world, with all these endless caves and passageways that I was free to explore. It always reminds me of just how magical Disney can be :)

Great thread Nik :) I hope everyone does lots of Trip Reports and takes lots of photos so you can live vicariously through them :)

For me, and I'm afraid I am repeating what's been said already, it is the sights, sounds and smells of Main Street when I come up underneath the railway. Simply magical!

Jill and others - well said!

One of my work colleagues recently returned from a first trip to DLP. When asked how they enjoyed it, said "oh it was all right". When asked why only all right she looked at us in shock and said "well it's not real is it?". (Bear in mind I don't advertise my Disney obsession at work! I would lose all credibility ;) )

To which I say, precisely. You either get it or you don't. I feel priveleged that I do :)

I think it all comes down to whether you're in touch with your inner child!!! I love to revert to a childlike state where anything's possible and everything's fun - as I read somewhere: "You have to grow older but you don't have to grow up". Exactly!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

I'm with Reid (Cyrano) in that it's the gardens that do it for me. Just seeing a picture of them fills me with happy thoughts. But then maybe that's not just because of the park - it's also where I proposed to my wife, so that might just have something to do with it as well (and yes I know, I still haven't written the story about it yet despite promising in a previous thread!)

As for a picture that makes me feel "all DLP-ey", it would be anything of Main Street looking back from the castle towards the hotel - especially at night (or even twilight - just as long as the hotel is all lit up). I'll try to explain why.

While I do love both the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland parks in the States, sometimes I find myself on Main Street on one of them, looking up towards the railway station and just thinking "you know, something's missing". Then I'll remember - there's no big pink hotel here, and how empty the sky looks without it staring back down at you. I just think the Disneyland Hotel at DLP looks great as a background to the park and it's not the same without it.

diberry said:
I always think it's like that scene in Mary Poppins where they jump into a picture drawn on the pavement and disappear into a magical land of sunshine (well, at WDW anyway!) and colour and music. How could anyone not love that???

I couldn't agree with you more Diberry - well said :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

and just to set my mind at rest, does anyone else get a lump in their throat when they watch the parades ? :rolleyes1

What an interesting thread.....I've yet to experience DLP and reading this is making me very excited!!!

The most exciting thing of WDW for me was seeing the castle across the lake, I can't wait to see the DLP castle! And talking of Disney making us part with our hard-earned cash...... we have just paid £65.50 for my DD's 13th birthday treat which was a visit to Paultons Park, a theme park(?)near Southampton. YES, £65.50!!!for 2 adults and 3 children aged 13, 10 and 8. There are beautiful gardens there, some animals and birds, and quite a few rides which are really aimed at under 12's, this suits my DD who is a big wuss.:rotfl2: Yes, it is a lovely day out there and we thoroughly enjoyed it but it is when we go somewhere like this that we really appreciate how much you get for your money at Disney. It might cost a lot of money to get into the Disney parks in the first place but I think they are excellent value once you are there.

Luckily, we are all Disney mad in this family....well DH and I are, the DD's do not have a choice!!!:rotfl:

jillrobinson said:
I couldn't agree with you more Diberry - well said :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

and just to set my mind at rest, does anyone else get a lump in their throat when they watch the parades ? :rolleyes1

YES, I DO!!!

Karen
hope you were only kidding regarding colleagues and your Disney interest ;)

Okay, I'll admit to wearing my Disney obession; I mean interest, loud and proud in the workplace. :Pinkbounc :banana:

The screensaver, Disney ties and parade music playing are a bit of a giveaway :goodvibes

Reid

:rotfl2: ^ Cyrano

Ware Bears - oh I'm so glad I'm not the only one :Pinkbounc

I know what you mean we took our youngest to Legoland and our eldest to Camelot for their birthday treats this year and they were both nice parks and the kids enjoyed them but I felt that in comparison with Disney you don't get an awful lot for your money.

One thing I've noticed at UK themeparks and if any of you happen to own a Themepark, you might want to take this onboard, I'm a much happier person when I'm queueing to get on a ride if I've got something to sing along to
"Yo, ho, ho it's a pirates life for me"
(sorry - that'll be in your head all day now)
rather than listening to the person in front or behind moaning about the length of the queue, how long they had to queue for their last ride or how much their burger cost.
Now I don't want Britney Spears or Green Day blasting out my ear drums, put a bit of thought into it, something relevant to the ride, something soothing, this is just my humble opinion of course. :earboy2:

"It's a world of love, it's a world of.............."

Catchy Tune - it's on several mix CDs that we have in the car and at home. When I hear that come on out of the blue it fills me with the joy of DLRP and has me looking forward to my next trip.

I also start grinning like a Cheshire Cat when I see the adverts on TV or in the paper.

What am I most looking forward to from our next trip? So many things!

- Being on the Eurostar and seeing the top of Space Mountain, then seeing the Disney Village sign - it's Disneyland Resort Paris - WE ARE HERE!

- Checking in and finding out where you will be in your chosen hotel. Though we are almost jumping out of our skin to get to the parks we know we have plenty of time to do everything and if you don't hang THAT shirt up it'll be soooo creased - but you still feel like dropping your suitcase in reception and running like Forrest Gump to the park!

- Going on the Pirates of the Caribbean again, my favourite ride and one that we go on first when we enter the park and then several times a day thereafter. The music and the warmth as you walk through the caves adds to the already boiling pot of anticipation - can't wait!

- Booking The Blue Lagoon. Our favourite restaurant and once that booking is in place it's a weight off of our minds. WE may even use the advance booking service this year, but we'd still want to check when we got there!

- The shops! Who doesn't get excited about seeing all the new things on sale? We always say that we won't buy anothing straight away as we'll see what's around first - that plan never seems to last long and out hotel room is always littered with DLRP bags and merchndise on the first night, and that pile juts keeps getting bigger!

- Seeing the parades on the first day. No matter how many times you've seen them before you always spot something new and they never seem old or tired. There's also the Wishes Fireworks Spectacular to look forward to this year!

Not sure what the question was but I went on my little trip of DLRP gushing anyway!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter