• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ok, I'm feeling mopey coz I can't go this year...

No need to be embarrassed Jill - I've been known to well up watching a Disney planning video!!! :blush:

Like the rest of you, I love the escapism of Disney and it's a VERY important part of my visit there. I like the way that (especially in the Disneyland Park) everything LOOKS so wonderful. There's nothing unattractive, unless intentionally so. Nothing jars or seems out of place. AND I also love the fact that you can look up and around at all these beautiful sights and not worry that you might step in something unpleasant!! Sorry - a very practical point, but it makes my holiday experience a better one!!!!

I love looking at the castle from the entrance to Adventureland side, and often imagine myself there. I took a picture of that view on our first visit, and it's always been my definitive DLP photo. :goodvibes

This thread is making me so happy! It's so wonderful to "be around" people who love all things Disney as much as I do, because a lot of my friends think I'm crazy. Okay, so it's been years since I was last at DLP, and there have been loads of changes since then, but I remember it like it was yesterday - probably due to the fact that I've watched so many videos of the park and have been reading about it almost every single day since my last visit, hehe!

Happy memories for me include: getting our hotel key and that first sight of the hotel bedroom, and checking out the little Disney soaps and the view from the window, then watching the Disney channel on the hotel TV; watching the parades (especially The Wonderful World of Disney, which I believe is now the Princess Parade?); the feeling of waiting in the canon in Space Mountain, and then the rush of air and the loud TSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS... BOOM! of the canon being shot skyward; the music in the Peter Pan ride which makes me cry every time I listen to my Disney CDs or watch the movie; that warm, atmospheric feeling of queuing inside Pirates of the Caribbean... and the second of the two drops, which I LOVE; Big Thunder Mountain and everything about it (one of my very favourite rides!); seeing Disney Village and the Disney Hotel lit up at night; walking around lake Disney back to our hotel... the list goes on.

I keep looking at my little countdown ticker as it's now less than a month, so it's counting down by days. I'm SO excited... I can't describe how excited I am. I talk about it every single day (Claire says my most-used phrase these days is "I want to go to Disneyland!" to which she responds "SOON BONNIE, SOON!!!") I'm so scared she won't like it there, because she's never been and she was never really into the whole Disney thing, but she knows how happy it makes me and I think her seeing me happy will make her enjoy it, hehe. Plus she loves taking photos and there are so many beautiful things to take photos of at Disney.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I can't let myself get too excited because I still have one exam left to do and I have to get my revision done, but this is going to be the best treat ever. I know I deserve it because I've had a tough couple of years for various reasons, and this will be the perfect ending to a long journey. Unfortunately my exam results and final degree classification will be waiting on the doormat on my return :sad2: which may put a downer on the whole thing, but hopefully not.

I can't wait to ride Pirates again pirate: although it'll be closed on our first day. Just reading this thread has made so so excited. I'm pleased that none of you will think I'm crazy for my obsession... ummm, I mean, slight liking ;) for Disney. ::MickeyMo

PS - Bexx, even that short little DLP planning video makes me cry every time... and I've watched it about ten or fifteen times! I think it's the Tarzan music!

Bonnie,

I know what you mean about waiting for results. This time last year I was waiting for mine. As a mature student with two kids I worked my butt off for four years. Up until the final exam I was sitting with a first and this was so important to me. Unfortunately a few months into final semester a family member died and I found it really hard to cope with then I came down with viral meningitis. I managed to complete the semester but came out with a 2:1. I was so disappointed but immediately booked holiday with family to DLP which did make me feel much better. I am happy to say now that I have an excellent job and the classification of my degree had no bearing--it all came down to the interview. Putting it all into perspective, no matter what your results turn out to be things will work out ok and trust me worrying isn't going to make it any better. My advice, enjoy yourself and know that whatever happens things will be ok.( I am one to give advice--the all time Queen of worrying). I hope you have a wonderful trip and good luck with results.

:hourglass :dancer: :bored: [QUOTE

and just to set my mind at rest, does anyone else get a lump in their throat when they watch the parades ? :rolleyes1[/QUOTE]

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc No you aren't the only one. I still get a bit of a tingle when I look at my pics of the Halloween Parade and that music gets right under you skin

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who gets 'elated and inappropriate' when a Disney ad comes on! :rotfl2:

Thanks guys, you are really helping!!! :sunny: I'm sure the wait will be worth it eventually :hourglass :bored: I'm planning to go Nov 06 coz I'd like to see Belle's Xmas village. Can't go this year coz I'm saving for a new PC and it's taking AGES :badpc:

I am enjoying hearing everyone else's happy memories though. Thinking back to my last visit, that slow walk to the park around Lake Disney sets me staring out the window! It's the anticipation, you are right. Then you walk under the BIG HOUSE and hear all the music and see all the smiley faces....thats it, no work getting done this afternoon, I can see!

This thread has got me sooooooooooooo excited-look at my countdown only 19 days to go.:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc
I get the tingly feeling as I put my ticket in the machine at the gate and the lump in my throat the minute I come through the tunnel under Main Street train station and get my first glimpse of the castle.
I plan to savour that moment on my upcoming trip as when I go with DH(who isn't into Disney at all) he goes into commando style the second we get through the turnstiles to get to the first ride usually with me and youngest DS dragging 10 feet behind(we've only got little legs!).

steve_rob said:
- it's also where I proposed to my wife, so that might just have something to do with it as well (and yes I know, I still haven't written the story about it yet despite promising in a previous thread!)

As for a picture that makes me feel "all DLP-ey", it would be anything of Main Street looking back from the castle towards the hotel - especially at night (or even twilight - just as long as the hotel is all lit up). I'll try to explain why.

Come on, spill the beans!!

jillrobinson said:
and just to set my mind at rest, does anyone else get a lump in their throat when they watch the parades ? :rolleyes1

Oh yes Jill! It was when the parade started on my 30th birthday - after months of not knowing if we could or could not go, that I felt a few tears spring to my eye. I wiped them away quickly though ;)

Cyrano said:
Karen
hope you were only kidding regarding colleagues and your Disney interest ;)

Okay, I'll admit to wearing my Disney obession; I mean interest, loud and proud in the workplace. :Pinkbounc :banana:

The screensaver, Disney ties and parade music playing are a bit of a giveaway :goodvibes

Reid

Reid, I'm not kidding! We are only allowed a corporate screensaver and as a woman I can't introduce a Disney accent with a tie ;)

I do wear my assorted sundry Disney tops to the gym at work though :teeth:

dlpSteve, wow! Is all I can say to your post!

Nik, thanks again for starting this - it's lovely to share memories of DLP!

We are the same re screensavers at work however a friend of mine is an Eeyore fanatic and has so many little Eeyore cuddlies you can barely see her desk. I'm a B and B fan and there seems very little in that line so I have to make do with a B and B mug. Still, it keeps the pangs at bay!

NIK said:
I agree with you all about leaving the real world behind. Like Jill, I'm not totally blind to the fact that DLP and Disney generally is designed to part you from your hard earned :bitelip: but, to walk through those gates, see the Castle in the distance and all the wonderful music - nice to be a kid again for a few days :cheer2: What's so wrong about a bit of pixie dust in this horrible old world anyway?

Well said! We have enough of 'grown-up' cynicism in our lives...

For me what takes me back a few decades in spirit is the combination of the entrance, the music, main street, the parade and at the background... the castle....plus my childrens' spark in their eyes which is totally contagious....and I feel like their sibling instead of their mother! :jumping2:

Thanks guys. You are making me feel a lot better about missing the Pixie Dust this year. :cheer2:

Nik, I know it must seem a long time away :hourglass but if its any consolation, you will have plenty of time to do all your planning.:idea: Plus you will have your nice new PC to do all your Dising at home on!:wizard:

Ware Bears said:
Nik, I know it must seem a long time away :hourglass but if its any consolation, you will have plenty of time to do all your planning.:idea: Plus you will have your nice new PC to do all your Dising at home on!:wizard:

I'm consoling myself with my latest purchase. I managed to get a copy of the video 'An Unforgettable Day' I think it's called. The dubbing is terrible and your palm just itches to slap the family they are so irritating but I loved every second. :banana: How naff is that? Do you think I should get out more :bitelip:

Am I alone in having a Disney Drawer? I keep finding all these little bits 'just perfect for my next trip'. I can barely shut the thing now, goodness knows what I'll have in it come Nov 06 :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

NIK said:
Am I alone in having a Disney Drawer? I keep finding all these little bits 'just perfect for my next trip'. I can barely shut the thing now, goodness knows what I'll have in it come Nov 06 :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Nik, I have a Disney house ;)

NIK said:
I'm consoling myself with my latest purchase. I managed to get a copy of the video 'An Unforgettable Day' I think it's called. The dubbing is terrible and your palm just itches to slap the family they are so irritating but I loved every second. :banana: How naff is that? Do you think I should get out more :bitelip:

Aside from my Star Wars room our house is pretty much Disney too!

That video is great but the DVD version is even better - an hour of extras all about Fantillusion!

Miffy2003 said:
Nik, I have a Disney house ;)

Glad to know I'm not the only dotty one! Mind you, you have to be careful if you live on your own, no kids and a house full of Disney. People don't half talk! :rotfl:

I'm also mad keen on the tv series Beauty and the Beast so I have a huge amount of stuff for that - I'm running out of space rapidly. Plus I have a huge cat who seems to delight in knocking stuff flying so my delicate stuff has to be tucked away.

Great thread, reading through this has reminded me of so many great memories. My favourite sights in the park are mainly the same as everyone else has mentioned. The first great moment is coming up the escalator from the train platform and just starting to see the Village and Hotel New York as we start to walk out of the station and knowing we're there. Of course the walk up to the park as you see the Disneyland Hotel which is a beautiful sight as you approach the park. Then walking under the railway station and getting the first good view down Main Street - I've tried to explain so many times to "non-Disney" people how the combination of the sights and music in Main Street, as well as the huge excitement, makes us Disney fans feel, but it's indescribable. And it's not just the first day we go to the park either, I still get that feeling every day of our trip when we enter the park as we look down Main Street and see the castle.

Disney is undoubtedly expensive but I don't object at all to spending my money there! It's not just a theme park, it's a complete experience. Jill makes a good point that even just the music while you're queuing makes a difference - the theming in DLP is perfect, each land is so different from the next. In each land you have music, cast member costumes, even toilet signs(!) which fit with the theme of the land. Okay we all know it's not real life but that's even more reason to enjoy it while you're there. I want to go!!!

Rhiannon :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter