ok now I'm mad

jarestel said:
Well, if you think about it, this is just a little bit funny. We - DVC members - clamored for the right to be able to purchase the dining plan and once DVC got Disney to agree to this, they make it free for everyone else. :rotfl2:

Ok, I know nothing is actually free, but this is still funny. Next time we clamor, we should probably clamor for "free" stuff!

Keep in mind it's only "free" for a short period, which is a low occupancy time. It's not free forever.

I've made up my mind to buy into DVC. The plan is to do so before Nov. of this year, I just need to convince DH and the bank account.

When I saw Free Dining advertised yesterday, of course part of me screamed "I'm crazy to pass that up!" . Well, I crunched through numbers with free dining verses DVC ownership verses DVC rental (if for some reason I cannot convince DH) and came to the conclusion that (for us) the ONLY thing Free Dining in Sept. had over DVC usage (either rental or ownership) in Dec was cheaper airfare - IF it's available. :teeth:

Don't fret - you OWN a part of Disney :love:
all the other visitors can say is they got a few "free" meals. Just remember the adage... nothing life is free. They may also get a few bonus days stuck in their value/moderate room or even better... in an airport as bad weather makes its way through. Oooo, sounds like fun! (Of course I don't wish this for ANYONE, I'm just trying to make my case) :goodvibes

For all the DVC members who really want to get the dining plan for free, there is a way. Rent out some of your points, take that money and book a rack rate room through CRO with MYW tickets and get the Dining Plan.

Of course, you may find it more expensive this way if you intend to stay in a deluxe resort but would work well in a moderate or value.

DebbieB said:
Keep in mind it's only "free" for a short period, which is a low occupancy time. It's not free forever.

Right, and you know why its free for that time period...........the kids are out of school and the hurricanes are a comin'!

That is a ton of food on the dining plan. We went last year with my dad and his new wife. They had the free dining, we had an AP discount (we didn't own DVC yet) and had the DDE card.

There was so much food that they gave us 2 of their counter service meals and got 4 more easy ones (like hot dogs) to take on the drive home.

So I don't care if they offer free dining to me because
1- I don't think I could eat that much
2 - I like the flexibility of DDE
3 - I don't want to be tied down to think I have to use all my credits

Joni said:
what is the free dining plan?
Go to the Restaurants or Resorts Forums and you will find plenty of info discussing the Dining plan. :thumbsup2

Why freak out about the free dining? DVC still seems to me like a better deal even if you buy the dining plan, especially for AP holders. Is it just the magical effect of the word "free?"

MinnieGirl33 said:
"Free" AP is with a 120 (130?) point add-on. You can get 1 day hoppers with smaller add-ons.

I believe that the alternative is one day/one park passes (as in past promotions). Big difference. (Not being criticial, just trying to be accurate).

TDC Nala said:
Why freak out about the free dining? DVC still seems to me like a better deal even if you buy the dining plan, especially for AP holders. Is it just the magical effect of the word "free?"

Yes, a marketing genius' creation!

I tried the math. I have 4 nights at OKW on points over labor day weekend, paying for the dining plan.

For me and my friend, this is OOP expense of $159.96 each for the dining plan and an extra $80 for my friend because that's what I'm charging her to stay 4 nights. For her it's $239.96. We both have APs.

For us to book Pop Century as a package with the free dining and one day base tickets (since we are both AP holders) would cost $492.76 for the 4 nights, or $246.38 each. My friend is saving about 7 bucks going this way. I'm saving about 87. That isn't much, but we have an OKW room as opposed to a PC one.

To book the package at OKW would have cost $668.13 EACH, not in total.

gabbysmom04 said:
Now I love being a DVC member but I am mad that I pay $400 a month for my DVC but cannot get any of the really good perks that are offered to other people. Sure I get a discount on things but free night and now free dining again! Sometimes it really stinks!!! :confused3 Since we pay for Disney should'nt we get something free too?

I really hope you are kidding, but NO you aren't entitled anything FREE.

Let's see you get a discont on an annual pass, you can buy dining at the same price Disney normally sells it for, you get discounts are resturants ...

Disney is a business not a "let's make DVC members happy"charity

gabbysmom04 said:
debbieb, when you put it that way I don't feel so bad. I just think that since we all pay so much for the DVC we should be given something for free or for a really good deal. It was so hard to get the dining plan for DVC! I think I just want an excuse for another trip to WDW

Nothing in life is ever free. If those people really think they are getting some type of deal with this "free dining plan" then Disney is a master. Lets see..... all I have to do is pay rack rate, pay for tickets for all of the guests and then "free dining". Doesn't sound so free to me. People would be much better off renting points or looking for deals on the room. Thanks but no thanks, we'll stick with DVC. Call me crazy but DVC doesn't owe me any freebies, just what I paid for.

bicker said:
One thing I'm realizing, these days, is that there are a lot of things that aren't what they seem. I don't think there was a single DIS veteran saying that Disney would surely do "free dining" again -- the vast majority were sure they never would. The popularity of the for-pay dining plan sure made it seem that they didn't "need" to. What we've learned from this is that they've managed to significantly reduce the costs of the food and beverage operations so now giving dining away is a very viable promotion, looking at the long-term, not just as an introductory promotion.

By the same token, it wasn't clear why Disney would offer dining plan to DVC members at all, and surely didn't seem like there was any reason they'd do so at the same price they were charging cash customers, for whom the dining plan seemed to represent an attractive loss-leader. Yet, they did.

So I'm gun-shy about saying that Disney wouldn't ever offer free dining to DVC members. :rotfl:

Free dining isn't free. Those packages are an arm and a leg so throwing in a little food is no big deal. Think about only the food cost they are giving for "free", not the price charged for the food. They aren't giving much. Disney doesn't do anything unless it benefits them. I'm not surprised at all to se this gimmick come back. If they sucked even a few people into it, it is worth doing it again. The "freebie people" are getting taken for an old fashioned Disney Ride.

gammieatwdw said:
Free dining isn't free. Those packages are an arm and a leg so throwing in a little food is no big deal. Think about only the food cost they are giving for "free", not the price charged for the food. They aren't giving much. Disney doesn't do anything unless it benefits them. I'm not surprised at all to se this gimmick come back. If they sucked even a few people into it, it is worth doing it again. The "freebie people" are getting taken for an old fashioned Disney Ride.

Really, it is great marketing. I know from my experience in retail most people don't take the time to do the math. WE alwyas had better response to "Buy 3 get 1 free" ads (a 25% discount), than we did to a "35% Off" ad. You certaily can't blame Disney for sticking with something that works. No business, Disney or otherwise, runs "specials" unless they think it will be of benefit to the business. That is how advertising is supposed to work. No one is getting "taken for a ride." They simply respond better to "Free" than "Discount."

Chuck S said:
Really, it is great marketing. I know from my experience in retail most people don't take the time to do the math. WE alwyas had better response to "Buy 3 get 1 free" ads (a 25% discount), than we did to a "35% Off" ad. You certaily can't blame Disney for sticking with something that works. No business, Disney or otherwise, runs "specials" unless they think it will be of benefit to the business. That is how advertising is supposed to work. No one is getting "taken for a ride." They simply respond better to "Free" than "Discount."

Well put Chuck. It is a great marketing plan. People should do the math before they jump on this "free" promotion. I think in most cases people would be saving money going other routes. Free is a powerful word for sure. Thanks again.

I agree with Chuck. It may be "free" but it isn't without cost. On top of that, I'm not sure all that many people could actually eat all that "free" food, particularly in September when it is still plenty hot. I know if it were our family, half of the free meals would never get used. I suspect Disney is counting on that.

CarolMN said:
Me, too. Who among us would ever have predicted that DVC would offer members a $100 discount on annual passes? I was hoping for 10% and would have been thrilled with 15% or 20%!!! Thank you DVC!

Best wishes -
The AP discounts I can understand; Disney must make a fair amount of additional $$$ whenever someone spends time in a park. Plus, it is my opinion that, the longer a DVC owner has been an owner, the more likely there are to skip a day or three from the Disney parks during trips - perhaps to relax, perhaps at US/IOA/SW/Jesusland - and the AP discount will help keep folks close to "Home".

But free dining - I agree with bicker, they must have figured out a way keep dining costs way down. Here's another thought: I wonder if they discovered a fairly high amount of unredeemed food coupons. This too would make it 'cheaper' to offer....

IMHO - YMMV

DVC members also get this perk, I read the fine print and DVC members are not excluded from the free dining offer.

DVC members have the same requirements as non members(pay rack rate for a package).

I would be willing to bet they sell a lot more wine and booze to diners who are on the meal plan, free or otherwise.... if it's already paid for, people don't mind adding a couple bottles of wine or Lapu Lapus....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter