OK...they ruined the surprise.....

TChrist05

DIS Veteran
Hey all....I have to say I am quite riled at DCL today.....I had planned a surprise 3 day cruise on the Wonder departing on 9/11 of this year. My daughter and mother in law knew about the cruise....we were keeping the cruise a secret from my wife....and we also had her brother and sister in law coming also....I was paying for 4 of us.....I booked the cruise in March and gave specific instructions to have all paperwork sent to my MIL in Florida.....and they noted the reservation that nothing was to be sent to NY address or calls to our home....everything should go through Florida.....anyway....I payed off the cruise last week and specifically asked that they do not send anything about the payment being made...my check would be my receipt and I was checking the reservation online.....so what happens.....they sent the confirmation out today regarding the final payment being made and guess who opened the confirmation letter....yup...my wife.....and then I got the phone call from my daughter that my wife knows about the cruise.....so I call DCL to get an explanation....they get a supervisor who said they were sorry but the person who took the reservation did not put a special code in to keep things from coming to us in NY.....needless to say I am not real happy about things....wanted so bad to make this surprise work.....but all I got was the apology.....so....it just does not seem as special now....but we will go....and hopefully have a great time....but I did everything right and it got screwed up anyway.....thanks all for letting me vent.....
Tom

Oh, I don't blame you for being very disappointed, and more than a little frustrated with DCL. You obviously went to great lengths to keep this a surprise, and I'm sorry it won't work out that way, though I am sure it will still be a marvelous trip. I'd say DCL owes you a little surprise in your stateroom...maybe some delicious treats from room service?

That is so sad, but I am sure she is still happy and surprised, but I dont blame you for being upset, I would be also!
Aimee

I don't know how much notice you were intending to give your wife when you did surprise her, but I'm sure she will appreciate knowing now, so that she has time to decide what to wear and all that other stuff us girls have to think about. The fact is, you tried very hard to do something extremely wonderful for your wife (Lord knows, my husband would never do that!) and I'm sure that she really appreciates it...tell her she can go shopping! As far as DCL, tell the CM when you check in what happened, then go to Guest Services and tell them.....and when you go to dinner the first night, tell your head waiter that it is a very special evening for your wife (say, perhaps, an anniversary of your first date) and they will at least bring her a small cake or other nicely decorated dessert. And, who knows, maybe if they have now noted your displeasure on your reservation, that just may be one of the things they look at when giving out those much-desired up-grades!
You will have a marvelous time anyway...so keep looking at any books or pictures of DCL (like the book you can get at a travel agent) or order the cruise video (free on Disney Cruise.com) and concentrate on how great it will be!

Well, it's the thought that counts. I would have been so excited if my DH would have planned something like that. Why not have one of Shirley's baskets with champagne and such waiting for her in the cabin? Don't let it get you down. :teeth:

So sorry to hear they messed up the big surprise for you. But maybe you could still surprise her with a stateroom gift or a surprise spa treatment?
I would love it if my husband surprised me, but still be completely grateful and happy that he went through all the trouble to try and keep it a secret.

Good luck!

Originally posted by justmestace
I don't know how much notice you were intending to give your wife when you did surprise her, but I'm sure she will appreciate knowing now, so that she has time to decide what to wear and all that other stuff us girls have to think about.

LOL....I was thinking the same thing...I would have flipped out if I was not told in advance so I could pack tihngs the way I wanted them! A surprise is nice but I would been at least a 60 day notice to be sure I had things I wanted to take with me....

Agree with all the girls about this - Tom, you are a wonderful man to think of such a fantastic surprise for your wife. I can understand completely the desire to want to see the expression on her face, etc, etc. when she was told by YOU.
BUT we women need time to get ready for these things - and I would like to think you'd have given her enough time knowing her to prepare.

DCL reps are human, and we make mistakes. But I understand your frustration very much. Hope DW's appreciation in finding out makes up for some of it!!! ; )

Rae

I also have to agree with giving her time to get ready although I too can see how frustrated you must be about the whole thing considering you DID do everything right (or as right as is possible). I can tell you though my husband did this for me and did NOT tell me beforehand about it all. He packed me, got sitters for the kids, arranged a limo to take us to the airport and pick us up, and did EVERYTHING EXCEPT tell me about it soon enough. Turns out he forgot 1/2 of my stuff and I got so sun burned that it ruined my trip because I hadnt had time to go tanning. I also was frustrated because I didnt get to get some new stuff (like a bathing suit that actually fit) and I didnt even tell my kids goodbye properly. I was so touched and yet SO angry at my husband it was hard to have a good time. I guess on a more "positive" note we do now have our 3rd child here with us because he forgot to pack my birth control pills! :p (That'll teach him to give me some notice huh?) LOL

Sorry to hear it got messed up! And I agree maybe surprise her with a gift basket or a spa package!

Heidi

TChrist05.......That Nov. 30 2002 black cloud still hangin' over you????? Sorry, I couldn't resist. I think if you would have booked thru a TA things would have been sent there..... FYI. Have a good trip anyways!!!!

I would have done the same thing...sorry ladies, but I would have waited until it was time to leave and have your bag packed and ready to go. It's only 3 days, I beat I could have gotten things right....that's what surprises are....SURPRISE !!!!

With all that you did to think of your wife, I'm sure that to HER the 'surprise' part isn't even important. We women just like to KNOW that we're thought of & special enough for our husbands to put so much effort & time into taking on such a task.
You DID surprise her after all, it just wasn't for the length of time that YOU wanted it to be. The stinky part is that, after all of your hard work, she didn't get to find out the way YOU planned it to be. I feel bad for you for that.
I do have to agree, however, with the other ladies that we DO like to have some time - @ least a few weeks - if not 2 months - to 'get ourselves prepared' - whatever that means to each person.
Have a WONDERful time. I do hope that DCL makes a 'special' apology to you for their negligence - however innocent. It does mean a lot to those of us who like to surprise others to have the plans go thru all of the way to the end.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

While you didn't getto do it "YOUR WAY" and you tried very hard, it was still a SURPRISE. The very fact that you wanted to do it all will tough your wife in ways you never expected for years to come.

Have a great time on your cruise anyway ... and don't let this disappointment take over the trip.

Kudos for the thought and effort.

I think the idea of a spa treatment to surprise her is wonderful! Maybe you could book dinner reservations at Palo, for the just the two of you. Better yet, book a spa treatment for both of you to share!

Just wanted to thank you all for all the kind words....the plan was that my 23 year old daughter was also coming....so we planned to have her pack all the necessities for the cruise.....In a way I am kind of relieved anyway....my wife has been having some medical problems and a couple of times to cheer her up I almost told her.....but I do understand that DCL is human....and I am not real angry any more....and we have a 7 day planned on November 29th and next year on May 8th.......and we were very lucky with our cruise this past May...they upgraded us to a category 4....it was great.....anyway....thanks again...
Tom

Tom - You sound like a wonderful man. It was so special and caring of you to go to so much trouble. I wish you and your family the very best time!

Hey Carole88...we are both Long Islanders.......and thanks for the compliment.....where on LI do you live? We live in Bellmore....looking forward to the Disney trip in September....staying 3 nights at BCV...just joined the vacation club in May......Talk to you all soon...
Tom

Originally posted by dclwdwlover
We women just like to KNOW that we're thought of & special enough for our husbands to put so much effort & time into taking on such a task.

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Originally posted by SeaGirl
I think the idea of a spa treatment to surprise her is wonderful! Maybe you could book dinner reservations at Palo, for the just the two of you. Better yet, book a spa treatment for both of you to share!

Oooh, I hear SURIAL or COUPLE SPA TASTER on Castaway Cay calling!

Tom -

I think it is very romantic of you to want to surprise your wife - 3 days is wonderful -

If my husband would have planned that, I might get uncomfortable that he didn't pack all my favorite things, but I would quickly get over that - Any thing you need can be bought on the ship or in port -

The important part is that you are together - Not what is in your suitcase - call me a romantic -

Hope you have a wonderful trip -

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter