OKW or BWV? Which is Nicer?

deedeed

Gotta Love Disney!
O.K. Here we go again! Thinking of planning a disney trip and I can't figure out which resort to try this time. I know disney and it is all good! I was thinking of doing the camping thing but know I am thinking of renting points and reservation and looking at OKW or BWV. Can anyone give me suggestions as to why to go there or which is better for a 9 and 6 year old? Oh yeah, my husband and myself also. They both look great but I am just worried that the noise on the boardwalk might be a problem? Thanks!:)

O.K. Here we go again! Thinking of planning a disney trip and I can't figure out which resort to try this time. I know disney and it is all good! I was thinking of doing the camping thing but know I am thinking of renting points and reservation and looking at OKW or BWV. Can anyone give me suggestions as to why to go there or which is better for a 9 and 6 year old? Oh yeah, my husband and myself also. They both look great but I am just worried that the noise on the boardwalk might be a problem? Thanks!:)

Unless you staying with a BW view the noise shouldn't be a problem. Like everything else they both have thier pro's & con's. OKW is a more laid back resort. It's not connected to any parks. There is a boat, or you could walk, to DTD. So if you want to relax a little it's a great spot. If you're looking for space in the rooms this is where you want to be. It has the largest rooms of all the DVC resorts. BWV is located in between both EPCOT & MGM. They are both withing walking distance and of course you have the boardwalk right there. I can't give you much more on BWV having never stayed there. Hopefully I'll be there in June, if not December.

Ahhh, here we go. With all the SSR debates, I've missed the good old fashioned OKW vs. BWV debates. Too bad Richyams wasn't still with us, he be on this like a pig on you know what!

Anyway, I personally like them both, it's a tough call, it really depends:

- Will you be hitting the parks hard or spending more time relaxing at the resort?
- Do you like an active vacation or more laid back?
- What kind of unit are you looking for (studio, 1 or 2-br)?
- Is $$ a limiting concern.

If you have a car, or want to save $$ by getting a studio or on points in general, or don't intend on hitting the parks hard, I would say OKW would be a good bet.

If you plan on getting a 1-br anyway, and like having a lot of action around and in close proximity, go for BWV.

The pool areas are a bit of a wash now with the new OKW slide, although I still prefer the overall feel of the Boardwalk and its pool area.

I have never had a problem with noise, but different people have different thresholds, I may not have even noticed it. OKW is certainly quieter though.

I'm guessing that since those are the two you are looking at, what is appealing to you is the standard view points at BWV....and that you are looking at studios.

Standard view rooms are really popular, in rather short supply, and book quickly during much of the year. Unless you are planning for a trip months (like a year) in advance, you shouldn't count on those rooms being available. In some cases, you'd need to find an owner willing to call day by day as the reservations are available eleven months out. Also, BWV is already pretty darn full for studios through January - so, depending on when your trip is, you may not have the choices you imagine having.

OKW will have more availability.

OKW will have two beds in a studio - BWV will have a bed and a pull out sofa.

We are BWV owners and like being able to walk to Epcot. But OKW certainly has its advantages as a resort. We do find the BW area to be "busy" - which means that yes, noisier than some other resorts.

Well I always lay out the pluses. Lets just start with both resorts are great.

OKW Pluses:
- Quiet
- Bigger Rooms
- Cheaper points (unless you get BWV Standard)
- Boats to DTD
- Park Right outside room (if you have car)

BWV Pluses
- Location (Walk to Epcot or MGM)
- Restaurants and shops
- Boardwalk and theming

If you will have a car, I might go with OKW. If you need Disney transportation, I might go with BWV. Either way, you win

Ahhh, here we go. With all the SSR debates, I've missed the good old fashioned OKW vs. BWV debates. Too bad Richyams wasn't still with us, he be on this like a pig on you know what!

Anyway, I personally like them both, it's a tough call, it really depends:

- Will you be hitting the parks hard or spending more time relaxing at the resort?
- Do you like an active vacation or more laid back?
- What kind of unit are you looking for (studio, 1 or 2-br)?
- Is $$ a limiting concern.

If you have a car, or want to save $$ by getting a studio or on points in general, or don't intend on hitting the parks hard, I would say OKW would be a good bet.

If you plan on getting a 1-br anyway, and like having a lot of action around and in close proximity, go for BWV.

The pool areas are a bit of a wash now with the new OKW slide, although I still prefer the overall feel of the Boardwalk and its pool area.

I have never had a problem with noise, but different people have different thresholds, I may not have even noticed it. OKW is certainly quieter though.
New OKW slide? New since when. We stayed there last Sept. and that was our first stay that is still the same slide right?:confused3

New OKW slide? New since when. We stayed there last Sept. and that was our first stay that is still the same slide right?:confused3

That's the one, but it's maybe 2 years old. OKW was the the only DVC resort that didn't have a slide.

As a BWV owner who is extremely biased (and miss Richyams for being the extreme on the other side of the debate with OKW -- those who have joined the site since his passing don't know what "lively (but friendly) debate" really means), I will try to give my most unbiased view and bite my tongue otherwise because Rich isn't here to respond:

If you like an active hotel atmosphere with hotel services: BWV. As a compact resort, everything is accessed easily, including pool, community hall, and boardwalk. If you like that home away from home atmosphere: OKW. It is spreadout, and thus you can have a long distance to main pool.

BWV allows you to walk to two parks (MGM and Epcot), which also means, along with the other nearby Epcot resorts, that you can walk to about two dozen restaurants; OKW has only one full-service restaurant but you can take a short boat ride to Downtown Disney.

Studios are fairly comparable in size; however, it is undisputed that OKW 1 and 2BRs are much larger than any at the other resorts; balconies/porches are small at BWV, large at OKW.

The distance from your room to the elevator at BWV can be long (up to 1 1/2 minutes normal pace); most of the buildings at OKW do not have elevators so you must use stairs for rooms above the ground floor.

If you have a car at BWV, you can valet park (that hotel atmosphere again); at OKW, you park just outside your building.

Many of the units at OKW have a nice view of a golf course (and a risk of a wayward golf ball); boardwalk views at BWV are the best any of the resorts have to offer, but boardwalk view is difficult to get unless reserving with the 11 month window.

BoardWalk can be lively at night (although not really any kind of noise problem for rooms); OKW has, well, night.

There are many that like both resorts, there are some (particularly me) who really do not care for OKW, and, of course, there are others, undoubtedly wrongful thinkers (I can't help getting in at least one jab), who don't care for BWV.

which is nicer? Neither. They are both great resorts just very different. Kinda like comparing Las Vegas and Hawaii.

You can have noise at every resort, be it Boardwalk noise or lawn movers on the golf course at OKW.

Decide what appeals to you. Walking access to MGM and Epoct a big deal, then BW.

Large, spacious accommidations with full size kitchen, laundry and huge bathrooms and living room, huge balconies, OKW.

Hotel atmosphere, with self parking in the outer banks or park at your door. Valet parking or not.

Only you can decide what fits your family the best, I give the main pool an equal rating, I think the new OKW pool is really nice.

As to views, at the BW it can vary depending on what you book. OKW almost all are tranquil views of water, landscape, or the golf course. To me the water views at OKW are some of the best on property.

BWV:
Hotel
LOOOOOONG hallways
You park WAAAAY far away from your room
you have to WALK to two parks
tiny kitchens, laundry, bedroom, bathroom, balcony etc, etc,
the pro is that you can sit on the sofa and still access the fridge without leaving your chair

Now OKW:
You take great bus service to all parks and can get there in less time than walking or driving
HUGE rooms
HUGE balcony
feels like a home instead of a hotel
you park right outside your door
no need to walk farther than the nearest bus stop
no long hallways (no hallways at all)

Okay, now how was that for a Richyams imitation???

Now the kicker....IT'S ALL TRUE! LOL!:thumbsup2

BWV:
Hotel
LOOOOOONG hallways
You park WAAAAY far away from your room
you have to WALK to two parks
tiny kitchens, laundry, bedroom, bathroom, balcony etc, etc,
the pro is that you can sit on the sofa and still access the fridge without leaving your chair

Now OKW:
You take great bus service to all parks and can get there in less time than walking or driving
HUGE rooms
HUGE balcony
feels like a home instead of a hotel
you park right outside your door
no need to walk farther than the nearest bus stop
no long hallways (no hallways at all)

Okay, now how was that for a Richyams imitation???

Now the kicker....IT'S ALL TRUE! LOL!:thumbsup2

Its beer from the fridge...not just any old access.

And you forgot that OKW is the only TRUE Disney Vacation Club resort. Its right there in the original name.

You're right Crisi, but I don't drink beer, so no personal experience to draw on.:lmao:

Ah well if it were me, I'd probably chose BWV. Why? Well, I call SSR my home so if I'm not staying there then I want to try something different. BWV has a great location and seems to have the best views of the hotel resorts.

Parking would be a pain though. I hate having to fight for a spot and walk the bridge into the resort. But if I was flying, I'd stay there in a heartbeat. Otherwise, I think I'd leave the car and use Disney transportation or my feet to get around.

My only concern about BWV is bus service to MK and AK. It's shared among all the Epcot resorts so supposedly takes a bit longer and can be more crowded. Your kids are young enough they'd probably be practically living at MK. You sure, you don't want to try VWL instead?

As for which is nicer, I think all the DVCs are nice. They each just offer something a bit different that appeals to folks and sometimes that something different doesn't appeal at all to some folks.

As mentioned, neither is better. BW is more like a hotel, and OKW is more like a neighborhood. We prefer the landscaping and views of OKW. BWV just seems so barren to us as far as landscaping goes- though it's still a nice resort and is walking distance to Epcot. That said, out of all the WDW DVC resorts, BWV is usually our last choice, not because it's a lousy resort, but because we just like the other ones more.

BWV just seems so barren to us as far as landscaping goes- though it's still a nice resort and is walking distance to Epcot.

Just like any other boardwalk, not much landscaping except for sand dunes, water or sand. Throw in the occasional game pier and we're in Jersey

Just like any other boardwalk, not much landscaping except for sand dunes, water or sand. Throw in the occasional game pier and we're in Jersey

Very true. Perhaps that's why it's not our cup of tea. However, I've never seen any sand dunes or sand at the BWV. Just a lot of big buildings with very long hallways. ;) In comparing OKW to BWV, my point was that the landscaping at OKW and at most of the other DVC resorts is pretty lush. BWV is definitely not lush. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter