Old Cabins to Be Removed, New DVC Cabins Coming To Fort Wilderness

“A select number of cabins are also expected to be dog-friendly.”

This is a new one for DVC.

I don't see them offering the points at a sale price too much lower than what is currently being offered just for the reason you mention. I do see them being a lower point per night to book than a deluxe, probably more than a studio and maybe a little less than a 1BR. Though potentially the same as a lower point resort 1BR. Interesting. Should be a quick process, essentially they are pre-fab tiny homes set on the current foundations.
If Disney does this right (and I have no reason to think otherwise), these new DVC options WILL be deluxe. We camped for years at The Fort in our own RV which was very nice. Switched to DVC 20 years ago and have enjoyed the accommodations. We stayed in a FW cabin 5 years ago for a couple of nights and considered it to be far, far below DVC standards. I’m sure that whatever DVC decides to put into The Fort will live up to DVC standards and will not be any cheaper to stay at than any of the other DVC’s. I informed my husband about these an hour ago and the first thing he said was “We are buying more points!” I’m sure these will be a hit!

The DVC model is to go into a established resort, take over a section, remodel the lobby and other sections.
DVC has already spent LOTS of money at the campground area, makes since to take an actual portion of the resort.

I love Fort Wilderness Camp Ground Cabins. Through the years I have stayed in them several times with my family. We have also stayed at many other Disney World Resorts as well. Most stays were a week or more at a time. That has all changed because WDW has changed.
Although I'm glad the cabins will not be torn down, I'm tired of Disney changing so much real-estate over to VP rentals because Disney wants more revenue. The Disney experience and "WOW" factor is being lost in the process. Over and over Disney's bottom line seems to be a greater goal and more important than visiting guests.
Disney should be putting their efforts back into guests experiences at the parks and not into selling VPs.
Take down lesser used Hotels and expand the Parks. Go back to "fast passes" and stop making people buy Genie to get on rides. Genie is a complete insult to ticketed customers. Allow free Park Hopping again and bring back Dining Plans. The "WOW" factor for guests used to begin as soon as you landed at Orlando International. That too is gone. Disney transportation from Orlando International was a super perk!!! Bring it back even with attached fees which would be a huge (and fun) convenience.
It appears guests no longer matter to Disney. Over the past 5 years, my entire family from New Hampshire to Virginia and Delaware who all have children, have stopped visiting WDW because the value for experience is no longer there. Bring back Walt's Magic and his Mickey lovers will return.

I have had a bunch of thoughts on this since I was notified this morning.
  • Except during really busy times, I think the cabins have lower occupancy than a typical resort.
  • Like others have mentioned, the cabins were needing another "refresh" and this business model off sets the cost of that for "rooms" that may continue to have lower average occupancy. (Cash flow up front while shifting upkeep costs to "owners")
  • The artist pic looks like an upscale tiny home/park model. Definitely on a trailer frame that can be easily rolled in and set after the wheels/axles are removed.
  • I like the look in the artists concept, but don't think it fits into the Fort well. More like a tiny home community on the outskirts of Portland or Seattle. A little too modern and "upscale"for the Fort
We stayed in a FW cabin 5 years ago for a couple of nights and considered it to be far, far below DVC standards. I informed my husband about these an hour ago and the first thing he said was “We are buying more points!” I’m sure these will be a hit!
  • I suspect part of this plan is to do what bianca said. Get existing DVC owners to purchase additional points. I'm curious what restrictions these will have. (Limited to "old" pool resorts or exclusive to the "home" resort like the new DL DVC or Riviera)
  • DVC has historically only been at Deluxe resorts, so these will likely be pitched at a "deluxe" standard.
  • I doubt this will make the Fort a "deluxe" resort, but would grant deluxe perks only to DVC owners. (Gotta keep that camper riff raff where they belong)
  • To not de-value any other DVC points/rooms, these will likely be priced similar to every other 1BR DVC. Might be even higher for the "atmosphere" and "dog friendly" options.
  • I suspect part of this plan is to do what bianca said. Get existing DVC owners to purchase additional points. I'm curious what restrictions these will have. (Limited to "old" pool resorts or exclusive to the "home" resort like the new DL DVC or Riviera)
A few thoughts/questions
  • DVC resorts generally have their own pool. Will this take over the "little" pool and make it DVC only or will they build another cabin pool? I suspect given the location of the little pool, it will simply be made DVC only.
  • DVC resorts, being associated with deluxe resorts have table service restaurants and a variety of other food options. (Beaches and Creme!). With TE being converted into a Motomart level eatery, will a new table service restaurant be built? R*********s was to have at least one sit down restaurant before it turned into a scortched earth deserted "green space".
  • I find it funny how the article references ongoing "enhancements" including "walking trails". My first thought was they 'll just put back the one they took out to WL. So take it away and give it back is an "enhancement".
  • The article also mentions "enhancements" to TE and Crockett's as part of this "ongoing process." I'm not sure this will be considered an "enhancement" and up to DVC standard compared to what TE was.
  • 1682032661831.png 1682032706198.png
Overall, this will likely have no impact on me personally. I have my motorhome that I'll continue to drive down and park on a really expensive piece of asphalt just to be at the Fort. If I was going to spend cabin level money, I'll stay at POFQ, CBR, Boardwalk or the Swolphin.

j

Last edited:
DVC has already spent LOTS of money at the campground area,
Have they?

Or are you talking about the abandoned disaster area that was to be R*********s? The only obvious money spent at the Fort is the new stables (great BTW) and upgraded utilities (electrical and wifi). None of that was DVC related.

Let's see what impact the cancelled DVC has done to the Fort.
  • Loss of walking trail,
  • Loss of Mickey's Backyard BBQ
  • Loss of boat rentals
  • Moved Clementine's Beach (to make room for cancelled waterfront cabins to the left of the boat dock)
  • Addition of lovely fencing and scrims behind the settlement to hide the abandoned mess
j

Last edited:
I always told DH that if DVC came to FW, I wanted in, even though I disliked R (editing so I don’t get canceled lol). Our family has so many fond and crazy memories at FW.

However, I did not have DVC taking over the cabins on my radar. When I saw it on twitter, I thought it was a joke. And after closing TE…this all seems very abrupt.

I also wonder what the plans are for the 2 in 100 loop?

Anyway, it’s going to be sad to see these cabins go :sad1:

Last edited:
What worries me the most about of all of this, is that we campers will lose OUR Fort Wilderness.

I’m sure some of the DVC owners will look down on the people camping and make comments. You know, how the WL guests would complain about having to share “their” boat with the dirty campers.

How much of the Fort will be taken from us for DVC use only? But yet THEY will be allowed to participate in all the campground has to offer.

I’m not liking this.

This feels like just another grab for...
giphy-downsized.gif

https://dvcfan.com/2023/04/20/disneys-fort-wilderness-cabins-are-becoming-dvc-properties/

Okey Dokey let's discuss. It's sort of like us losing our version of the Garden Wing of the Contemporary to have BLT built. They are replacing existing resort inventory and replacing it with DVC. For which they can charge more.

Read to the end of the article. Does this mean the old R*********s construction site down at Pioneer Hall won't be built on (yet)?

Bama Ed

PS - also already being discussed from the DVC angle on the DVC board. What about us from the Fort angle?

PPS - I hope I can snag a surplus kitchen table and chairs from our current cabins as a momento.

Have they?

Or are you talking about the abandoned disaster area that was to be R*********s? The only obvious money spent at the Fort is the new stables (great BTW) and upgraded utilities (electrical and wifi). None of that was DVC related.

Let's see what impact the cancelled DVC has done to the Fort.
  • Loss of walking trail,
  • Loss of Mickey's Backyard BBQ
  • Loss of boat rentals
  • Moved Clementine's Beach (to make room for cancelled waterfront cabins to the left of the boat dock)
  • Addition of lovely fencing and scrims behind the settlement to hide the abandoned mess
j
I'm just more impressed that you two can count out the right amount of **

I do miss Mickey's Backyard BBQ though.

So they'll keep the cabins. Maybe even upgrade them. Quite frankly,I use the campground and DVC and my only concern so far is losing access to the quiet pool. I would not like to see the Fort lose another amenity. Other than that, I bet you it sells out fast. If they add a restaurant or trading post to the area, that would be a win for campground and DVC owners.

I have stayed at the cabins and the campground in an RV a few times. The cabins felt isolated from the rest of the fort. Of course, we only spent a week at the cabins and spent most every day it not every day at the parks. While at the Fort in an RV we typically stay 2 weeks and spend at least half our time at the fort just relaxing.

It is hard for me to imagine DVC taking over the cabins having much of a negative impact on my Fort experience. If i am wrong, i will be the first one to cry FOUL. But i don't plan on getting too upset over something that is still unknown at the moment.

The optimist in me is hoping that DVC will bring something extremely beneficial to us campers like a restaurant or new trading post. Perhaps a better/improved form of internal transportation. Just wishful thinking, I know!

I chatted with Disney today to make sure my June was still intact and they said yes.

You can still book reservations. It seems like they’re doing it in phases so I think they will honor reservations and just start limiting them in the future. Eventually they’ll have to cut it off but I think if you booked you’re fine. They’d have had to tell you ASAP.
Not only am I booked, I went in and did my online check-in and magic bands. This will show committed intent in going. I'm also counting on them doing it in phases.

Thank you for your feedback.

What do you mean? I typed out the full name and the DIS profanity filter must be changing it. :rotfl2:

And why was I surprised you counted them. :)

j

This is why I think Jim is my brother from a different mother.

Yes, I counted out the asterisks to be the same number from the missing "R" word I typed.

@Part-Time Paradise noticed how both @Teamubr and I had the proper number of spaces with asterisks.

Reading it I wondered, "how would PTP know that unless he counted".

And then @Teamubr said essentially, "how would PTP know that unless he counted".

I will not say its name.

The cabins project may delay the R~ debacle because of the economy, timeline, etc. Swapping out the cabins (especially if due for replacement anyway) is relatively quick. Compare that to the demolition at Poly of the Aloha Theater and the buildout there. It's going to take longer from A-Z than the Fort Cabins project. So that's some more $$$$ in the till sooner which is an easy decision for bean counters.

I have different, other thoughts in the next post.

Bama Ed

PS - eventually they will build on the R~ worksite. Waterfront real estate in the MK area is too valuable to ignore.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter