Old Cabins to Be Removed, New DVC Cabins Coming To Fort Wilderness

I wonder if that was a glitch from yesterday's IT nonsense or if that may actually be "the day" - looking at WDW online booking today it shows rates at the Cabins through the end of 2024 and it would let me make a (hypothetical) booking from October 18th - 24th...it would even let me (hypothetically) book checking in on NYE through January 6, 2025 (but not past that date):

View attachment 764614

That potential DVC model is highly suspicious, though....

View attachment 764615

Well they WERE have lots of problems yesterday but when I checked it this morning I got not available. But I see what the my problem might have been. When I was checking I was looking for quotes Sunday-Friday such as 11/3/24 to 11/8/24 and got zilch.

1685650043021.png

And I worked backwards on the calendar until I got rates. But to your point, I changed the departure date from 11/8 to 11/9 and voila:

1685650136979.png

I got bit by the Disney IT bug again! 🐛 :rotfl2:

Bama Ed

If this is a private camper/trailer, does that mean Disney is using an "off the shelf" (with maybe some decorative modifications) trailer for the new DVC units? Then again, weren't the old cabins pretty much off the shelf too?

Well not like this with the goose neck hookup to the tow vehicle truck but it looks very similar to the concept art so the DVCs may just be a variation on a stock floorplan.

It feels to me like it comes down to the question will Disney built "park model" trailers to put at the DVC cabin sites or "tiny houses". Houses are built for a higher level of occupancy but that is another whole topic unto itself apparently.

Will be interesting to see what they drop in there.

Bama Ed

It feels to me like it comes down to the question will Disney built "park model" trailers to put at the DVC cabin sites or "tiny houses". Houses are built for a higher level of occupancy but that is another whole topic unto itself apparently.

Will be interesting to see what they drop in there.

Bama Ed
I don't see how they aren't going to be mobile-home like trailers that they'll sit on a foundation of CMU blocks, pop off the tires and then cover with a lipstick of landscaping or siding. I also wouldn't be surprised if they just reuse the frames of the old cabins while they go loop by loop.

I'm just curious if they still have they have to go out and buy new wheels and tires to haul off the old ones or is there a stack on property somewhere collecting dust.

Transport companies have axles, wheel and tire assemblies they can bolt under modular homes. I think that would be the easy part. I suspect it is cheaper to build new modular construction than it would be to remodel the frames of the existing "cabins". I think one of the reasons for changing up the cabins is they were getting pretty worn. I think Ed said they were 30 years old.

j

Last edited:

I don’t know if I’m allowed to post a YouTube link, but if you look for this, it shows the whole interior.
View attachment 764840

Oh sure you can. Here I'll post the video link for you - you can click on it to watch it or expand it out to full screen on YT. Thanks for finding it.

Bama Ed

PS - I watched long enough to hear that the owners designed it and built it themselves (only material costs plus their own labor) so unlikely that this will be the DVC version (or a version of a tiny house from a mass builder). But lots of neat ideas I like - especially in the kitchen area.

Last edited:
Transport companies have axles, wheel and tire assemblies they can bolt under modular homes. I think that would be the easy part. I suspect it is cheaper to but new modular construction that it would be to remodel the frames of the existing "cabins". I think one of the reasons for changing up the cabins is they were getting pretty worn. I think Ed said they were 30 years old.

j
Definitely. And all the ones removed from the 2100 loop were sold by a 3rd party for relocation.

https://chipandco.com/former-fort-wilderness-cabins-sale-245084/

My goodness! That is some 5er/Tiny Home! With all the upscale materials & features it's definitely worth more than my TT, and probably worth more than my house!!!

Another case of "GRAB THE BUCKS AND BLEED THE PEOPLE'.

1. Cabins are already being priced beyond many.
2. DVC is a total cash cow.
3. The resort gets paid off in 1-3 years, not 40.
4. Then, they make money from annual dues.

NOTE:
We can't see why the public has not revolted by boycotting WDW.
Universal is already hurting WDW per local media.

NOTE:
Not exactly correct but close.

By state law, annual Maintenance Fees must be charged at cost. It’s the way the state protects timeshare owners.

So Disney cannot profit (much) from MF, but MF do provide Disney with a way to partially pay for maintenance and improvements to hotel facilities.

NOTE:

Do you mean a public boycott of WDW specifically due to the DVC cost issues you mention rather than boycotting to protest general 'Disney greed'? Why would someone who has no interest in DVC boycott WDW because of DVC costs? If DVC owners or people who seriously want to buy in want to boycott, by all means, do so.

If you're talking about boycotting due to the nightly rate for the cabins, which does affect the general WDW goer who might want to stay there, most Disney hotels are over priced. And we already know exactly how much effect boycotts have on Disney.

Not to continue the off shoot subject (that’s a dumb statement isn’t it since I AM continuing the off shoot subject), but I have to say it is funny that many, many, many (me included) have got all worked up with pricing or something else at Disney that changed and say “never again” or “I’m not going to” in the heat of moment and then just go merrily on doing what we said no too. I cannot think of anything that would derail mouse at this point, can’t ever imagine any sort of boycott movement that would make an impact … people who have been long timers may reduce or stop going as things change in ways that displease, but there are plenty in next generation who don’t know any better of the “old ways” of Disney, who aren’t worked up over cultural change or whose dollar value idea is different because they are used to the more recent cost of stuff in the world will just fill in behind. I have finally reached the point where I do or do not for myself and not get all worked up anymore… much more relaxing.

My 'never again' is being priced out of doing WDW the way we want to do it (and I already know exactly what that means in terms of time and money) or when DH decides he's no longer up for towing cross country. Until then, we treat each trip like it's our last and enjoy it to the hilt.

Transport companies have axles, wheel and tire assemblies they can bolt under modular homes. I think that would be the easy part. I suspect it is cheaper to build new modular construction than it would be to remodel the frames of the existing "cabins". I think one of the reasons for changing up the cabins is they were getting pretty worn. I think Ed said they were 30 years old.

j
Mike Rowe did a Dirty Jobs and it was a company who took trailers away for one reason or another, like replacing or building something on the site.

If they're going to sell the old cabins, I bet there would be a good market for them. Anything from low income/homeless housing, vacation homes, AirBnBs, to putting them in a 'camp' or an RV park.

In fact, I'm eyeing our back pasture as we speak, lol.

That's what they did with the first generation of FW cabins (or some of them). They were bought and placed in an rv park where you could buy it as your weekend getaway. I've seen the link and looked at the website but don't recall what where/what it was. They looked more like mobile homes.

Maybe someone who knows the link can post it here.

Again, not the whole cabin - I just want the kitchen table with its log chairs and back booth wall from a current cabin.

Ed

....my DS [ TODAY IS HIS BIRTHDAY!! ] is currently staying in a cabin:

00-qSvDM5RbRDsgPz4pfWeJXkYr5IDGYCMS7j3bLZS0RJhioxImfM8MN65u-MNnka564xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA

00-qSvDM5RbRDsgPz4pfWeJXkYr5IDGYCMS7j3bLZS0RJh5c_nFVw3KP-4fu-GDOPZoV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw

00-qSvDM5RbRDsgPz4pfWeJXkYr5IDGYCMS7j3bLZS0RJiekXDls1EtHUEmBqD-zrpd4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA

00-qSvDM5RbRDsgPz4pfWeJXkYr5IDGYCMS7j3bLZS0RJjYlKADD9BM_y9-DwNnamolldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter