Old Key West vs. Saratoga Springs???

luke6t6

Mouseketeer
Planning to do a "short notice" long weekend and these are the only two properties that are available for the days that I am looking at. We haven't stayed at either. Any strong recommendations?

Thanks,

Luke

What room category?
OKW studios have 2 queen beds and no couch.
OKW 1BR are much larger.
OKW has the relaxed tropical vibe
Most OKW buildings do not have elevators, so you may have to walk up 2 flights stairs
OKW only has a QS counter.

SSR Studios are the DVC typical Queen + full sleeper sofa arrangement.
All SSR buildings have elevators.
SSR has 2 feature pools, 3 pool bars, 2 QS options and has a nice walking path to Disney Springs (actually 2 paths)
SSR has one of the best full service Spa's on property.

I would choose Saratoga due to the short walk to DS, and because I really enjoyed Turf Club when I ate there last.

I think either would be fine for a long weekend. We've stayed at both but own a small contract at OKW (and contract at BWV).

SSR is closer to DS but OKW is a nice boat ride away. We like breakfast at Olivia's.

Both resorts are large in size and buses make multiple stops throughout the resorts which can take a while.

I would probably decide based on travel party. For a solo traveler or couple, I like the Queen+sofa arrangement as it is more functional. But, if you need two sleeping spaces, I'd go OKW for two real beds.

I love OKW, the whole resort just whispers "island time" everywhere you look. The landscaping is fabulous, and Olivia's is one of the few resort restaurants we frequently drive to even if we are not staying at the resort. The turtle krawl is also a very fine cocktail.

In its earlier days, SSR seemed too barren, but now that the landscaping has grown in and Disney Springs has become a more credible destination, it's a much more interesting alternative. I'm taking my first stay there later this month, and am looking forward to it.

Thanks for all of the input. I should have mentioned that we will be staying in a 2-BR unit.

I am truly torn.... I like SSR for it's proximity to Disney Springs, but like the overall ambiance of OKW.

Decisions, Decisions.... :)

Thanks for all of the input. I should have mentioned that we will be staying in a 2-BR unit.

I am truly torn.... I like SSR for it's proximity to Disney Springs, but like the overall ambiance of OKW.

Never tried OKW, but Found our home resort of SSR (last trip) to be very quaint and relaxing. A welcome surprise to lets say( BWV ). We do like all the resorts we've stayed but, SSr was very very nice indeed.:thumbsup2

We love the tropical, island feel of OKW. Plus the rooms are larger than anywhere else. We also really liked the relaxing boat ride to DS, so not being able to walk there wouldn't be an issue for us.

We've stayed at both many times. OKW is looking and feeling very 'tired' in our opinion. Due for some updating. While the rooms are bigger at OKW, we don't care for the fake (vinyl) floors that much and don't like that nearly all buildings do not have elevators. After a long day of walking I don't care to walk up steps to get to my room anymore. Just getting older! SSR just seems nicer right now to us.

Ohhh a 2BR!
I think everyone should experience the very spacious OKW 2BR at least once! :goodvibes

We don't like the OKW rooms find them old and tired and feel a bit mouldy and unclean. However, we loved the resort the pools Olivias even the shop.

We much preferred the SSr rooms, liked the pool and loved being able to walk to DS.

As you're staying in a 2 bedroom my choice would be OKW, considerably larger, wonderful patio (love it). I really enjoy the tropical ambiance and vibe of the resort, and the Guirgling Suitcase for a Turtle Krawl or 2. My preferred area, Turtle Pond, by the quiet pool! And Olivia's has a good breakfast and their burger is awesome! Oh don't forget the conch fritters and key lime pie.

SSR has a considerably smaller living area footprint! But it does have the Turf Club!

Realistically speaking, both close to DS.
Good luck with your choice!

Another huge advantage of the 1BR/2BR villas at OKW: those verandahs/patios. They are lovely. My last stay at OKW was in Building 45, in a 1BR. Sitting out on the deck watching the boats travel back and forth on the canal with a BEvERage in hand was a darn good way to spend an afternoon.

OKW will also have the twin sized sleeper chair in the living room for an extra sleeping space. The porch at OKW is great and, to us, better than the long narrow one at SSR. We live to sit outside and watch the golfers play.

Not sure how last minute your trip is, but the Sandcastle pool is closed at OKW right now if that matters.

I personally love the island music at OKW pool....vs the elevator music at SSR.

I like both.

I don't mind the decor in either place and the only place I've found to be moldy was our ssr 2 bedroom immediately after a big refurb. The place was so bad the housekeeping manager looked like he was going to put crime scene tape around it. But the moved us no problem.

With a CAR OKW, without SSR generally. Where the second BR configuration might make a difference (OKW L/O has 2 queens) or where the sleep chair is help, OKW might be better.

With a CAR OKW, without SSR generally. .
Can I ask your reasoning for this, both resorts are huge but neither resort is near eating and/or hospitality areas, they both require either a car, a walk or a bus drive to those areas, so what's the distinction for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter