Older kid gets bigger bedroom by default?

My youngest has the bigger room. It was my eldest room for her first 3 years of her life. A few months before my younger DD was born, we moved DD1 to her " big girl" room which we redecorated and kept the other room as the nursery. It was redecorated a few years later but they both stayed put.

They are now 10 and 7 and there was never been any complaints. We are not planning on moving anytime so don't know who would get the bigger room f we did.

I'm the youngest and have no problem with the older child getting the biggest room.

That said, my brother was the oldest and had the smaller room but that was because my sister and I shared the bigger one. I think bedrooms of different size totally make sense for many families. We only had two kids, but they are the same sex and if one of the bedrooms in our home had been bigger I would totally have made them share it and used the smaller room for other things.

Life isn't always fair. I had a friend whose family had 3 girls and 1 boy and only two kid's bedrooms. He got a room to himself and the three girls shared a small bedroom of equal size to his.

As the youngest I had the smallest bedroom. I really liked my room. Now I have 3 boys and they all share a room. Or they will when I can kick DS #3 out of my bed! ;) We have a 3 bed 2 bath house, but the boys will be sharing. The 3rd bedroom is currently an office, but will be converted into a playroom/office.

Yep. me too! All my life my sis and I shared rooms.
They are lucky they get their own room at all. I had to share a room with my only sibling (my sister) my entire life.

OP, i'd be more inclined to give the bigger room to the oldest. But if your conflicted about it, you could always tell the kids your letting them decide for themselves....or at least let your oldest have first pick. Tell them to consider the distance from your room, the view out the window. You might be surprised, your oldest might actually want the smaller room for whatever reason. It could be because its further from yours etc.

My little brothers shared a big bedroom. When the oldest want his own room, my step-mom told him "Fine, you get the smaller room because you are the one that wants out."

My husband moved into the basement to stop sharing with his little brother. Not a nice redone basement. A share with the washer/dryer, one light hanging from a chain basement.

In my house, my older brother got first pick of everything. We had an apartment once that had a walk in closet. My brother got the room and my mom put a twin bed in the closet and called it my room.

Buying a house with equal size rooms was very important to me. Even before I had twins. That was one of the deciding factors in both of the houses that I have bought.

When we first moved in our oldest got the bigger bedroom and in a way it was because she was the oldest. She had bigger furniture and more stuff, ds was just a baby and didn't really need a room that he could play in.
Now my oldest has the smallest room because I had another baby and the two youngest share the biggest room.
We do have a 4th bedroom but that is used as dh's office. While it is bigger than the smallest bedroom and smaller than the biggest, it has the largest walk in closet, and that part of it is mine :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter