OMG...a trainer was killed today!

A family witnessed the accident. They had attended the lunch show for their son's fifth birthday. After the show, they remained behind to take some additional video. The trainer, Dawn, was off to the side with Tili. She was bent down stroking him and feeding him. Tili rolled to the side. From the viewpoint of the witnesses, it appeared that her ponytail got caught in the whale's mouth. It pulled her in and dove with her.

At one point, they surfaced for a moment. She appeared to still be caught. This time, it stayed down for about five minutes.

The people screamed for help when they saw what happened. There were other tourists there are well. By the time the other trainers got to her, it was to late.

Tili did not do anything to intentionally harm her. It was simply a tragic accident.
I have also heard this scenario spoken about. It really is one that makes the most sense.

From our local news station:

"A SeaWorld killer whale snatched a trainer from a poolside platform Wednesday in its jaws and thrashed the woman around underwater, killing her in front of a horrified audience... Brancheau was rubbing Tilikum after a noontime show when the 12,000-pound whale grabbed her and pulled her in, said Chuck Tompkins, head of animal training at all SeaWorld parks. It was not clear if she drowned or died from the thrashing... Brazilian tourist Joao Lucio DeCosta Sobrinho and his girlfriend were at an underwater viewing area when they suddenly saw a whale with a person in its mouth."

Sounds like more than just her hair getting caught in the whale's mouth. I imagine that everything happened so quickly that many people were not really sure what they saw.
If the trainers hair were to be caught up in the whale's mouth, it may very well look like he had her 'in his mouth'....also, the whale could have been thrashing about in order to get her dislodged.

Yes, Tili is known to be aggresive and SW dealt with that. It all just seems to be, at this point, a tragic accident. Yes, I realize that onlookers 'say' the whale grabbed her and dragged her down and shook her violently...but could there be a possible scenario that could have appeared to be that scenario? I think so. What Feralpeg posted would seem to be an appropriate scenario.

Thanks for info Peg. That scenario sounds plausible. We did the Dine with Shamu show a few years ago. It was really a wonderful experience seeing the whales close up. I believe she was one of the trainers that spoke during the dinner.
This is so sad. My prayers are with her family and friends. :sad1:

If the trainers hair were to be caught up in the whale's mouth, it may very well look like he had her 'in his mouth'....also, the whale could have been thrashing about in order to get her dislodged.

We may never know what happened. I was only posting the official press release statement from the head trainer at Sea World.

You do have to wonder about the conflicting stories. Was the one eyewitness who claims he shot out of the water and grabbed her by the waist an attention seeking something or other...or is Sea World trying to "tone down" what happend?

I'm finding myself thinking this is just not worth it. Here, Tili was involved in other tragic incidences and the whale was allowed to continue. Why?
It was specifically stated that the whales were feeling agitated in Orlando. Also, less than half the trainers were able to work with Tili; she was a problem all along. I just can't see even after one incident why you would take a chance again. And why or why aren't there more trainers helping each other out especially after a show? Maybe, it wouldn't have mattered, but maybe, it would have had a better result. They could have provided a diversion, used a sedation gun, etc. Maybe, the bottom line is the company is shorting the shows on staffing. I know the company is now reviewing procedures.

It's not fair for Tili, either. Who wants to be confined as they are when we know it's not right. It's just for our entertainment; it's not worth it. Everyone, do you remember Siegfried and Roy? It seems sooner or later this type of captivity leads to a tragic ending.

I don't know if Tili is allowed to breed, but that's another problem.

I'm no different then the rest and I enjoy all these shows. I just don't feel it's worth it. I really feel it needs to stop.

We went to Sw for the first time in Jan 2008 and were awe inspired by this performance, my DH and I had tears in our eyes watching Believe for the first time with our 5 & 7 year old girls. It was amazing!!! We watched Believe twice that year!
We went back last year, in Feb 2009 and again watched Shamu Rocks, and I could tell from the very beginning, even though we had not watched this show ever, that the whales were not co-operating, they were swimming in a pod, of 6 whales, and just circling the pool. The trainers had a hard time seperating them. The trainers did come out and say that the whales were not co-operating, and they would see what they could do, but nothing really happened, and they apologized and said they are animals, and when they don't want to perform they don't. WE have to respect that.
We decided to go back the next day and watch Believe again with our kids, because of Shamu Rocks not working. Anyhow, it was the same thing, and again you could tell that it was not going happen.
It is unfortunate, but am starting to wonder, if it is this time of year, the whales go through something or what. Who knows. I feel absolutly terrible for the trainers, the backlash SW is getting from the general public, even though these incidents are very uncommon.
We were attending SW hopefully again on March 13th to see Shamu Rocks hopefully, and I will continue to support the parks like I always have. I love SW and have the utmost respect for the employees and trainers that risk their lives everyday because of these awesome mammals. RIP Dawn, you were a shining star!

Lovely pictures of Dawn here in happier days;

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...trainer-dawn-brancheau,0,4297208.photogallery

For me, when I googled the name, as soon as I saw her she was instantly recognisable. I had the privilege of seeing her perform on several occasions and her absolute love for the animals and joy at getting to work with them came across so clearly. She was always hugging and kissing them and looking like she was laughing, joking and playing with them. It didn't seem to be just a job for her but a passion and something she was born to do. How many of us make the committment to follow a career in doing what we love despite the challenges we face? How many people just give up on their dreams? Not Dawn, she got up every day to do what she dreamed of as a little girl. It always seemed to me that those animals were like her babies and I have no doubt she will be sorely missed. Her death is tragic and horrible but she died doing what she LOVED. RIP Dawn, you were a wonder to watch and I'm so happy I got to see you and your undoubtable bond with the orcas.

I have no doubt that Sea World will spin this story around so that it is nothing more than an "ooops" by the whale, Just like Siegfried and Roy. It would be refeshing to hear someone state that the whale perhaps got angry and reacted in a way that would be consistent with it's natural behaviors. A video will come out at some point that will answer some of these questions.

It always seemed to me that those animals were like her babies and I have no doubt she will be sorely missed. Her death is tragic and horrible but she died doing what she LOVED.

I read where even her own sister said all the orcas where her children to her...

I saw this morning (not sure which major news channel) that Tilli has reproduced many offspring. Jack Hannah was on the telephone saying the importance of this animal breeding to save the Killer Whale population.

We can only hope these offspring find their way back into the wild, though my guess is that they do not.

This is a terrible thing to happen, but these are wild animals. Look at what happen to the poor women in CT with the chimp. I bet a million bucks that the owner never would have dreamed that her beloved pet would ever do that.

I'm finding myself thinking this is just not worth it. Here, Tili was involved in other tragic incidences and the whale was allowed to continue. Why?
It was specifically stated that the whales were feeling agitated in Orlando. Also, less than half the trainers were able to work with Tili; she was a problem all along. I just can't see even after one incident why you would take a chance again. And why or why aren't there more trainers helping each other out especially after a show? Maybe, it wouldn't have mattered, but maybe, it would have had a better result. They could have provided a diversion, used a sedation gun, etc. Maybe, the bottom line is the company is shorting the shows on staffing. I know the company is now reviewing procedures.

It's not fair for Tili, either. Who wants to be confined as they are when we know it's not right. It's just for our entertainment; it's not worth it. Everyone, do you remember Siegfried and Roy? It seems sooner or later this type of captivity leads to a tragic ending.

I'm no different then the rest and I enjoy all these shows. I just don't feel it's worth it. I really feel it needs to stop.

I have no doubt that Sea World will spin this story around so that it is nothing more than an "ooops" by the whale, Just like Siegfried and Roy. It would be refeshing to hear someone state that the whale perhaps got angry and reacted in a way that would be consistent with it's natural behaviors. A video will come out at some point that will answer some of these questions.

The only people that seem to want to hear that the whale got angry and retaliated are those that already think they shouldn't be in captivity in the first place.

As far as we know, this was nothing more than a tragic accident. Personally, I don't think this is either the time or place to debate whether the orcas "should" be used for entertainment purposes.

But that's just me.

i agree 100%. very sensible comment.

i just don't understand after two incidents already why was the whale 'allowed' to carry on working?
what did they think would eventually happen.
its all about $$$$ at the end of the day.

also i have been to SW and i was shocked how small the main arena is and how small the holding pens are. it is the same as us it sitting in a bath tub at home - loads pens are sooooo tiny for a killer whale to be in.

build the whales a bigger tank pls and maybe these ridiculous 'tricks' that they are make to do - should be stopped now. it isn't right or natural for the whale.

SW need to take full responsibilty for this.

There is a statement from her mother at www.radaronline.com if anyone wants to read it.
Anyway, her mother is obviously devastated but said her daughter died doing what she loved. The mother harborered no ill will towards Sea World or the whale. She said her daughter would not want the whale put down but the family would leave to the discretion of the other trainers and Sea World to make whatever decisions they see fit. :hug:

I am so horrified to hear this. We were there on Sunday, had great seats, and took many pictures of a trainer who clearly loved what she was doing. I would like to post a picture, but I do not have enough posts to allow it.

I saw this morning (not sure which major news channel) that Tilli has reproduced many offspring. Jack Hannah was on the telephone saying the importance of this animal breeding to save the Killer Whale population.

We can only hope these offspring find their way back into the wild, though my guess is that they do not.

This is a terrible thing to happen, but these are wild animals. Look at what happen to the poor women in CT with the chimp. I bet a million bucks that the owner never would have dreamed that her beloved pet would ever do that.

Christa, Tilikum's offspring populate SeaWorld parks and other marine life parks across the world. They are not released into the wild. Chances are, as they have been born in captivity, they are likely to be rejected in the wild, after all they are not born into a "pod" like their parents and grandparents were. Keiko (the Free Willy orca) died after being released into the wild because he couldn't cope in the natural environment and sought humans after he was released. Animals bred and born in captivity also do not live as long as those born in the wild. They are not officially an endangered species but environmental factors are resulting in a decline. But breeding in captivity is counter-productive. I myself don't believe orcas should be continue to be bred in captivity, they are meant to be wild and free. But everyone has a different opinion and I respect that. Its just difficult when you know someone has lost their life through the mistakes that have been made.

IMO Tilikum (who was captured from the wild) should have been released back in 91 after Keltie Byrne died. Evidence suggests he has never quite coped in captivity, not every trainer could work with him (and none in the water with him), he was rejected by other orcas at Sealand of the Pacific and he was not as good natured and placid as Orcas such as Corky 2 - but why should he be? He is an Orca not a domestic cat. I think, and not to be crude, that Tilikum has just been used to father future SeaWorld entertainers. He is a strong sire and before him most orcas born in captivity died. He produces strong offspring, so he has been a valuable asset. Now, he has lived in captivity for so long, releasing him could well be a death sentence. But what precautions will SeaWorld take to protect his trainers in future? Undoubtedly, a difficult future lies ahead. I just hope that lessons are learned and another talented, wonderful person doesn't lose their life through this, or any other orca. I also hope Tilikum is not destroyed, I'm sure that is the last thing Dawn Brancheau would have wanted.

Now I have enough posts (I have been lurking here for years but just never have anything to add to the expert advice). If this is her I can tell you it is clear that she really did love these animals. My heart is broken over this. I love both Sea World and Discovery Cove, and like Dawn, my daughter decided that she wanted to be a marine biologist on her first trip to Sea World. :sad1:

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz105/vwestfall/img_2441A.jpg

The only people that seem to want to hear that the whale got angry and retaliated are those that already think they shouldn't be in captivity in the first place.

As far as we know, this was nothing more than a tragic accident. Personally, I don't think this is either the time or place to debate whether the orcas "should" be used for entertainment purposes.

But that's just me.

yes yes, by all means, everything is fine, tragic accident....

I dont care about whales being captive. What I do care about is that we gain a better understanding of what happened so that it can be avoided in the future. If the whale did it on purpose or with malice(assuming a whale could have those emotions) then that is something we should know. It would be dangerous to the trainers if this is turned into some sort of "oh he was just playing" BS. Of course nobody on here has any idea whether it was an accident or not we are all just speculating.

As far as not being the time to debate it, if a trainer getting killed is not the time to talk about safety, then when is that time?

through this, or any other orca. I also hope Tilikum is not destroyed, I'm sure that is the last thing Dawn Brancheau would have wanted.

There was a Sea World representative on a Tampa news station this morning saying that when the Shamu show reopens Tilikum will likely be part of it. Whether this guy had the authority to say that is not known to me, his title was not given and it was just a quick interview. Remember this was all just a tragic accident. Just like the time in 1991 with the same whale;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter