On my own - Suggestions for dining.

tehSAC

Mouseketeer
I will be in Orlando for a week from May 6th - May 10th for a conference. On that Sunday I am spending my time in Epcot, but I have my evenings free the rest of the week to enjoy some Disney Dining. I will be on my own, so I'm looking for places where I don't feel too out of place. Mind you I'm okay with eating by myself.

I've already planned a meal at Sanaa for one of those evenings, and planning either an evening or early afternoon in Disney Springs. Looking for suggestions one evening and possibly a brunch before I leave on Thursday. I don't get down this way often, and when I visit with family I'm with picky eaters, so I'm looking to explore a bit.

So if you don't mind, would you give me some suggestions for restaurants outside of the parks.

---

Turf Club at Saratoga Springs is nice, somewhat casual, but more of an adult atmosphere.

http://allears.net/dining/menu/turf-club-bar-and-grill/dinner

Yachtsman Steakhouse is a bit more upscale at the YachtClub resort. $$$$, but a nice selection of steaks. Since this is a somewhat of a convention hotel, there are a lot of solo single diners.
http://allears.net/dining/menu/yachtsman-steakhouse/dinner

Big River Grill is on the Boardwalk, as is the ESPN Club. Both are "pub" food, with the same "business" crowds coming from the Swan / Dolphin hotels, as well as Yacht and Beach Clubs.
http://allears.net/dining/location/big-river-grille-and-brewing-works

Citricos at the Grand Floridian is very nice with a diverse menu
http://allears.net/dining/menu/citricos/dinner

Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge is also great! Wonderful service, not many kids around.
http://allears.net/dining/location/artist-point

As for the Disney Springs area, I suggest Bongos for more casual. Full of energy, Cuban music and entertainment. There arent many quite restaurants ion DS if that is what you are looking for. Wonderful food with a hefty price are STK (steak) and Boathouse (Seafood).

http://allears.net/dining/location/bongos-cuban-cafe

Im not familiar with any brunches that dont have characters. The Wave at the Contemporary and Grand Floridian Cafe at the GF would be my picks for a quite breakfast. Kona at the Polynesian is nice too, but you can see and hear huge crowds from the lobby of people waiting to get into Ohana nextdoor.

Enjoy your trip.

Last edited:
Captains Grill at the Yacht Club is nice, somewhat casual, but more of an adult atmosphere. Since this is a somewhat of a convention hotel, there are a lot of solo single diners.
Captain's Grille was one of my favorite WDW restaurants. Sadly, it is gone now, replaced by a new restaurant called Ale and Compass, with all different decor and a totally different menu. The new place doesn't look good to me. YMMV.

Really! I was there last April. Ale and Compass was the bar area...not a restaurant. Strange.

Bongos has the slowest service and most uncomfortable barstools at all of WDW.

I'd go with Morimoto personally.

Ale and Compass used to be the little bar in the lobby, but was just refurbished to take over the Captains Grill space. Y&B is building a big expansion to the convention center, and apparently it was felt they needed something other than the original setup over there.

If you don't want to deal with reservations for Yachtsman try the Crews Cup Lounge. Not the full menu, but they have some choices.

Teppan Edo isn’t the best Hibachi, but it might be entertaining to go by yourself if you don’t have one near you. Biergarten might also be a choice because everyone is sat at communal tables; it also has entertainment. The only real brunch I know of that is left is California Grill on Sundays.

OP, I understand you were looking for suggestions for restaurants outside the parks. In that category, my favorites include The Wave, Boma, 1900 Park Fare, and Artist Point. Raglan Road is good for the entertainment. I haven't had a chance to try Edison just yet, but it looks interesting.

When I travel for work, I really like to sit at the bar. I find other patrons and the bartenders to be good company, but if I'm in the mood to just keep to myself, they're understanding. So my choices would be:

The bar at Flying Fish

The bar at bluezoo at the Dolphin (some of the absolute best food on property!)

The bar at STK

The bar at bluezoo at the Dolphin (some of the absolute best food on property!)

I came really close to suggesting this, but backed out because I once stayed there for a conference and we (company of hundreds) took over the bar area at BlueZoo and the lobby bar and I can imagine we scared off many patrons. Could have been just us or always. Havent been outside of that one conference.

I came really close to suggesting this, but backed out because I once stayed there for a conference and we (company of hundreds) took over the bar area at BlueZoo and the lobby bar and I can imagine we scared off many patrons. Could have been just us or always. Havent been outside of that one conference.

The Swolphin hosts a ton of conferences and you definitely run the risk of hitting it when there's a ton of conference attendees congregating...but the beauty is there are many bars at the Swolphin, so the likelihood of being totally shut out is minimal.

Wow so many awesome responses. Thank you everyone!

I’ve looked at Enzo’s hideaway but the $$$ for what you get turns me off. I do think I’ll go to Jock Lindsay’s for a drink.

My decision is still up in the air for sure, but this thread is a great start.

I will be in Orlando for a week from May 6th - May 10th for a conference. On that Sunday I am spending my time in Epcot, but I have my evenings free the rest of the week to enjoy some Disney Dining. I will be on my own, so I'm looking for places where I don't feel too out of place. Mind you I'm okay with eating by myself.

I've already planned a meal at Sanaa for one of those evenings, and planning either an evening or early afternoon in Disney Springs. Looking for suggestions one evening and possibly a brunch before I leave on Thursday. I don't get down this way often, and when I visit with family I'm with picky eaters, so I'm looking to explore a bit.

So if you don't mind, would you give me some suggestions for restaurants outside of the parks.

---
There are only 2 restaurants I can think of that have open to the public brunches (Sunday only) and they are :Raglan Road and California Grill. I haven't eaten at either yet but CG get constant rave reviews and RR looks like fun as well ( the eggs cocotte keep calling me) You can of course eat breakfast at any of the resort hotels until at least 10:00 AM. Kona Café is the only one I've eaten at solo and the staff let me eat my breakfast in peace while reading the newspaper with only a minimum of chatter. Just the way I like it in the morning. I'm a grump when I wake up and crave solitude.
Delicious coffee, hot freshly cooked edibles (no powdered eggs here), and amiable surroundings. I would stay away from the quick service eateries for breakfast since they are a tad noisy.

Flying Fish and Tokyo Dining give you a nice amount of table space, a calm environment, and cook and serve food with care and sophistication. Oh but ignore the dessert offerings at TD; look pretty, read nice but taste like sugar. FF is on it's own elevated field when it comes to food AND dessert; save space.
I could readily see self eating at either restaurant solo although in the past I ate w/ others. I've heard that M. Paul's is good on that level as well but haven't eaten there yet. Not sure if smaller tables are available along the window overlooking the lake but you can always ask.

Marrakesh or Tangerine Café offer some lovely appetizers that combined could be filing in themselves. Or just have a meal. You'll be welcomed gladly.

I hope you’re planning to hit up the Outdoor Kitchens in Epcot. That format is certainly one that you can enjoy on your own.

---

I just came back from a solo trip. Boma was great. Homecomin had a table just behind front counter for two so I could watch the kitchen and it was a great hidden spot. Trail’s End is also a favorite of mine. Boathouse will let you sit at any of their bars and order off the menu and you don’t need an ADR to do that.

Ragland Road is great food and entertainment. Boma, Grand Floridian Café, Narcossee or Citricos, The Wave, Trattoria al Forno or Flying Fish at Boardwalk

When I have been there solo, I've eaten at California Grill, Flying Fish, Maya Grill (don't do that again), Artist Point. Never felt weird there or treated badly.
In the future, I would consider Jiko, Sanaa, Il Mulino. have eaten at these as a couple and would be comfortable solo.

There are only 2 restaurants I can think of that have open to the public brunches (Sunday only) and they are :Raglan Road and California Grill. I haven't eaten at either yet but CG get constant rave reviews and RR looks like fun as well ( the eggs cocotte keep calling me)
Raglan Road has brunch on Saturdays and Sundays. I've been, and enjoyed the atmosphere, as Irish dancers perform there in the afternoon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter