Once Upon a Fairy Tale-Germany-June '08

I'm so glad to see this thread. My DH, DS(8), and I are hoping to book the Germany ABD trip in June of '09. I'm so anxious to hear your trip reports when you folks return this summer. I want to know how hot it is in Germany in June and whether this trip is as exciting for little boys as it seems it would be for little girls. (Sleeping overnight in a castle has an obvious appeal for little princesses-in-training.)

Please take lots of photos to share!

We are booked on the June 27 trip to Germany. Anyone out there booked on that one. We are a family of 5. Mom, Dad, 14 girl, 11 boy, 10 girl. This is our 3rd ABD trip.:cool1:

Guess they overlap the trips by a day or so. Our trip ends on June 29th.

The suitcase is half way packed. Should be a great trip. ABD sent me my tickets this week and I'm ready to go.

just a quick note to those going on the 6/21 trip. Don't forget to call your cc company and let them know there will be charges on your card(s) outside the U.S. I went and got my travelers' checks, stopped the paper, stopped the mail, added International calls to my cell phone and arranged for the pets to be boarded. Also, am having a new air conditioner put in the house while I am away. Lordy knows what I am going to forget to do :confused3

We think we have everything covered- but there's always something. . .hope it's not major! We leave tomorrow and are completing our packing now- hopeful that our airline connections work out as planned- I should have stopped watching the news weeks ago! We plan to wrap up our Black Forest time and will meet our Disney group at the hotel on Saturday. I understand our group has about 30 folks total and about 7 of them are younger than 18 (counting my 13 year old son). We are very excited and know it will be a great trip- see you in Heidelberg!

Two (2) days and counting -------- YIPEE

I hope you have a wonderful trip. I can't wait to read about it when you come back. I am anxiously waiting for the 2009 trips to open for booking and I am trying to decide between Italy and Germany, so I am looking forward to reading a trip report on Germany.

My husband and I are going on this adventure on September 26, and we've never been to Germany or anywhere in Europe before. I need help on what sort of clothing to pack. We generally are carry on sorta travelers as we pack light and I work for an airline. We are flying with Lufthansa, and the luggage guidelines are rather strict.

Can anyone help with suggested attire for this adventure? We are in our early 40's and aren't cold natured.

Funny, this is like a huge trip, but I haven't found myself making any plans at all--I guess that's the beauty of a guided tour--at least I hope that's the case!

checking in from the Crown Royal in Heidelberg.

Having a wonderful time. Met last evening for the initial reception and get together. 29 people. About 8 children under 18.

About 3 families had just come off another ABD tour and they told us all about it. Seems two are being done back to back by many.

Buffet breakfast and very yummy.

Going to Heidelberg Castle today and Wine Tasting at Zum Ritter St. George. Dinner at Zum Ritter Hotel tonight.

Jet lag was absolutely present last evening. Crashed and did not wake up until phone rang.

Lucked out on the fligt from JFK to Frankfurt. Had all 3 seats to myself and that was wonderful.

Our guides are Jennae and Dave.

Yesterday´s Word of the day

Guten Tag

Word of the day today

Sprechen Sie English?

I went to elementary school in Munich and it the language does come back to you - a little at the time. :confused3 :thumbsup2

P.S. - the key is to pack very light. I managed to do it this time.

KRDISNEYBOUND,

Thanks so much for taking the time to log in and update on your trip! Can't wait to hear more!:thumbsup2

What is the weather like there now?

"P.S. - the key is to pack very light. I managed to do it this time."

We generally pack carryon only, but doesn't seem possible for this trip considering we can only carry one 18 pound bag each (and a personal item each).

How light did you pack?

I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU GUYS...HAVE TONS OF FUN!

Sounds like a great tour. Have fun Kay & everyone! 3 seats to yourself Kay. That seems unheard of today where every flight is PACKED.

Which 2 ABD trips are they doing back to back?

besides the essentials, I brought 4 pairs of slacks and several tops to change from day to day and night to night. Tops and slacks that do not need ironing. It is working out very well. Did not overoad on anything at all.

"P.S. - the key is to pack very light. I managed to do it this time."

We generally pack carryon only, but doesn't seem possible for this trip considering we can only carry one 18 pound bag each (and a personal item each).

How light did you pack?

I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU GUYS...HAVE TONS OF FUN!

yesterday was fabulous. Heidelburg Castle was amazing.

day 3 should be ---

going to Hotel Burg Trendelburg

Departing for Alsfeld. It could have been the city inhabitated by the characters made famous by Jacob and Wilhelm, the BRothers Grimm. Celebrated sons from the region know as Hesse. (taken from the booklet we were given): not my verson at all................. :listen: You can imagine Snow White with a basket of ingredients for supper she will prepare for her seven hardworking friends. Hansel and Gretel spellbound by sweets in the bakers window. And little red riding hood to retell her harrowing account with that calculating wolf.

We will see Rapunzel staring at the picturesque townsape from her prison in the nearby woods. The maiden with her very long braid will probably appear.

Will be going to the Alsfeld Museum today.

It was uncommonly hot yesterday.

Apparently a/c is not used over here and for us spoiled Americans; it can be brutal. Yesterday was one of those brutal days. The hotel was horribly hot and muggy. Thus why I am up at 4 am this morning. Supposed to be a little cooler in Alsfeld.

Everything will not be posted, as it would ruin the whole trip for those who have it booked. Surprises are the best :thumbsup2

FAIRYTALES TO COME TRUE - you have to be around when they happen...:goodvibes :goodvibes

Word of the day --
Schloss
meaning castle or palace

We think we have everything covered- but there's always something. . .hope it's not major! We leave tomorrow and are completing our packing now- hopeful that our airline connections work out as planned- I should have stopped watching the news weeks ago! We plan to wrap up our Black Forest time and will meet our Disney group at the hotel on Saturday. I understand our group has about 30 folks total and about 7 of them are younger than 18 (counting my 13 year old son). We are very excited and know it will be a great trip- see you in Heidelberg!

HEY: Are you home yet??? I just got home at 9 pm on Monday (tonight). Delta asked if I would wait until Monday (instead of Sunday morning) and they put me up in the Kapinski at the Airport and food vouchers and $1,000 in ticket vouchers. Of course, I said "yep". They needed 3 volunteers. So I rested and watched the Soccer game in the BeirGarden between Terminal 1 & 2. Can you believe Spain won???????

Will be waiting for the e-mail from to all of us from our friend, Anita. ................

P.S. - all my luggage did not arrive home with me but it is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. They traced it on another flight.

I'm so glad you guys are home safe, and you scored a good deal (and day of rest) from your airline.

Can't wait for a report and tips for our trip in September!

KRDISNEYBOUND,

Thanks so much for taking the time to log in and update on your trip! Can't wait to hear more!:thumbsup2

What is the weather like there now?

wow - so sorry I forgot to answer you. Cold not get to internet too much of the time.

The weather was absolutely great the whole time. We had rain one day and the whole time we were on the Coach traveling. So it did not really interfer with any of the activities or tours.

----------------

I am working on a little trip report and finish what I started. Hope to have it finished shortly. A lot of it is like the other trip reports. Everyone states things a little differently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter