Once Upon a Fairy Tale-Germany-June '08

I'll give a little trip report here: Some of it is repetitive, please just overlook it. Someone asked me to report to them and I just brought it over to this thread.

Flights were very long and tiring - happy to have landed in Frankfurt.

There are quite a number of activities that we did but have been asked not to give everything away so as to surprise those that are booked for the future - That is only fair to those individuals so that they will have goose bumps all over, as they occur and not knowign about it.

Day 1:
checked in the Crown Royal in Heidelberg.

Having a wonderful time. Met last evening for the initial reception and get together. 29 people. About 8 children under 18.

About 3 families had just come off another ABD tour and they told us all about it. Seems two are being done back to back by many.

Buffet breakfast and very yummy.

Going to Heidelberg Castle today and Wine Tasting at Zum Ritter St. George. Dinner at Zum Ritter Hotel tonight.

Jet lag was absolutely present last evening. Crashed and did not wake up until phone rang.

Lucked out on the fligt from JFK to Frankfurt. Had all 3 seats to myself and that was wonderful.

Our guides are Jennae and Dave.

I went to elementary school in Munich and it the language does come back to you - a little at the time.

P.S. - the key is to pack very light. I managed to do it this time

yesterday was fabulous. Heidelburg Castle was amazing.

going to Hotel Burg Trendelburg

Departing for Alsfeld. It could have been the city inhabitated by the characters made famous by Jacob and Wilhelm, the BRothers Grimm. Celebrated sons from the region know as Hesse. (taken from the booklet we were given): not my verson at all................. You can imagine Snow White with a basket of ingredients for supper she will prepare for her seven hardworking friends. Hansel and Gretel spellbound by sweets in the bakers window. And little red riding hood to retell her harrowing account with that calculating wolf.

We will see Rapunzel staring at the picturesque townsape from her prison in the nearby woods. The maiden with her very long braid will probably appear.

Will be going to the Alsfeld Museum today.

It was uncommonly hot yesterday.

Apparently a/c is not used over here and for us spoiled Americans; it can be brutal. Yesterday was one of those brutal days. The hotel was horribly hot and muggy. Thus why I am up at 4 am this morning. Supposed to be a little cooler in Alsfeld.

Everything will not be posted, as it would ruin the whole trip for those who have it booked. Surprises are the best

FAIRYTALES TO COME TRUE - you have to be around when they happen...

We left the Crown Royal for a 3 hour bus ride = excuse me ----------- COACH RIDE------------- :rotfl2:

headed for Alsfeld - this was the town that could have been inhabited by the characters made famous by Jacob and Wilhelm, the Brothers Grimm. Just imagine Hansel and Gretel and Snow White and Little Red Riding Hood.

Our hotel was Trendelburg Castle, also we called it RAPUNZEL's Castle

We stayed there for 2 nights. Met Rapunzel and her long locks.

There was bike riding and archery at Stammen. I did not ride, 'cause the ride was 5 miles out and 5 miles back. So the coach driver took myself and another lady around the City and to a local grocery store. That was very exciting.

Supper was at Sabab urg Castle, (sleeping beauty's castle), which was very, very nice.

SIDE NOTE: hard to remember what we did in order, if you don't write it down. I think the mind is going......:confused3 But so far I think I remember most of it.

Then we went to Lowen Castle in Kassel. This was the day that it rained, but everything still proceeded and we just walked in the rain. Eventually it stopped.

Then we started the Romantic Road to Lowenburg Castle.

If Walt had lived 300 years ago, Lowenburg Castle could have been his creation. Wilhelm IX, ruler of Hesse-Kassel, is today considered the "Walt of his era".

The Romantic Road is a tourist route created in the 1950s and stretches north/sosuth across the two dozen towns in outhern German, from Wurzburg to Fussen, Romantische Strafse is identified by signposts along the espressway, or autobahn.

Then we headed to Rothenburg. We departed for the Night Watchman's Walk, which was very informative.

The Bakerys were to die for in each place.

We went to a Pretzel shop and made our own Pretzel's and was taught how they are made, as we did them ourselves.

fact: The average American will eat approximately two pounds of pretzels each year. In Philadelphia the average American eats as much as 20 lbs. each year. YIKES !!!!!!!!!

lets see ------------

Next we headed to the story town of Giengen. Went to the Steif Bear Factory. Just amazing. We got to make our own bear face.

We then continued the Romantic Road to Munich, the capital of Baveria and Germany's 3rd largest city.

Onto Munich. Had quite a long City tour with an amazing guide. Best guide ever seen on any tour anywhere. He stayed with us as we traveled to Schloss Neuschwanstein. This is the Schloss that King Ludwig II started to build and only finished 1/3 of it when he died at 41 years of age. The story of his life is also amazing. IT IS TRULY A STORYBOOK CASTLE.

Then it was time to say Auf Wiedersehen.

The trip was fabulous. Hopefully I hit the high spots to give you a little information. So much more happened.

Hotels we stayed:

Crown Royal
Eizenhut
Hotel Burg Trendelburg
Hotel Kempinski
I also stayed at Hotel Kempinski Airport the last night, compliments of Delta along with food vouchers and $1,000 travel vouchers. That actually paid for my airfare on this trip.

I'll post a few pics shortly, when I get them downloaded.

On behalf of those dying to go on this trip (only a couple more months for me!), thank you for taking the time to share details. Sounds wonderful!

I'm in a pickle trying to decide what I should pack. We are light packers and can go on a 14 night cruise with carryon. I'm really trying hard to make this happen on this trip--may not be doable. What sort of clothes would you say you wore most often?

On behalf of those dying to go on this trip (only a couple more months for me!), thank you for taking the time to share details. Sounds wonderful!

I'm in a pickle trying to decide what I should pack. We are light packers and can go on a 14 night cruise with carryon. I'm really trying hard to make this happen on this trip--may not be doable. What sort of clothes would you say you wore most often?

Most of my separates were wrinkle free and those that were not, were fine once I had them on for a short while. No one notices anyway.

Take a couple extra tops to interchange with the same pants/shorts.

There were quite a few items that I did not even wear.

Most of the ladies wore shorts on the tours. I am just used to slacks more.

I did take a rolling backpack that held most of everything that I bought.

It is not a "dress up" event on any day at all.

Do take a poncho or light rain jacket and a fold up umbrella.
We needed it one day. BUT IF YOU FORGET, the guides have extras on the Coach for use.

Speaking of buying things, I'm trying to gear myself up to avoid impulse purchases-mainly because I'm really bad at that, and I don't need a bunch of trinkets. We travel every Christmas, so I'm talking myself out of ornaments; I don't need a coocoo clock; and my husband said no to any steins.

I often pick up a nice piece of jewelry these days to remember my trips. What "gotta have" things would you suggest for Germany memories or gifts for folks back home?

I'm really looking forward to the Steiff visit as I collect bears and have several Steiff bears. I was hoping we were constructing a whole bear but figured it would be just the "face."

I appreciate your insight and the time you've taken to share with us!

What surprised me is at the Steiff Factory. There were no Christmas items at all. No Santas or anything. Had there been, I would have been in deep trouble. I did join the Steiff Bear Collection and got a very nice gift. The exhibits are the most awesome exhibits I have ever seen.

Speaking of buying things, I'm trying to gear myself up to avoid impulse purchases-mainly because I'm really bad at that, and I don't need a bunch of trinkets. We travel every Christmas, so I'm talking myself out of ornaments; I don't need a coocoo clock; and my husband said no to any steins.

I often pick up a nice piece of jewelry these days to remember my trips. What "gotta have" things would you suggest for Germany memories or gifts for folks back home?

I'm really looking forward to the Steiff visit as I collect bears and have several Steiff bears. I was hoping we were constructing a whole bear but figured it would be just the "face."

I appreciate your insight and the time you've taken to share with us!

Good to know about the bear collection......

I'm really getting geared up for the trip! Very exciting! Did you find that the meals offered were good? My husband is worried about this. He's not a picky eater, but a big eater. I assured him that heavy German food will be just the bill, and we can supplement with pretzels!! HA!

Good to know about the bear collection......

I'm really getting geared up for the trip! Very exciting! Did you find that the meals offered were good? My husband is worried about this. He's not a picky eater, but a big eater. I assured him that heavy German food will be just the bill, and we can supplement with pretzels!! HA!

Hi, I have been reading this thread for a while now. We just got home from the Germany trip. It was great. No need for a trip report as it has all been said, except, of course, for the surprises. There are not really too many must have items to buy in Germany. Perhaps some Xmas stuff. Some on our trip bought coo coo clocks. You can have the big stuff shipped and then they take off the tax.

Speaking of tax, no one tells you this stuff (and we asked them about it). Anything (total purchase) you buy that costs more than 25 euros, you can get the tax back as long as the store participates in the tax free thing. The catches are, you need to ask for the form each time you make such a purchase and then have the items available at the airport to show to the tax agent. So don't pack them. Nobody told us not to pack them. I had all the receipts and the forms all filled out. The desk is right where you are dropped off at the airport, but we decided to check in first and then come back. Wrong move. You can't get the tax back without the items. The lady told us to go ask the airline for our luggage back. We chose not to. The tax is 19%. So it is worth the extra work to get some euros back at $1.60 a euro. We spent 65 Euros (over a hundred dollars) on 3 small teddy bears at Steiff.

As for the food, it is OK. Nothing fabulous. Lots of pork and veal. Disney offered chicken or fish as an option most of the time. Meals on our own, we chose thai and falafel.

Hope you have a great time.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate all details. We've never been to Europer before so there are so many things running through my head! I definitely want to have things shipped if at all possible. Did Steiff offer that service?

Sorry Trampslady,
One family on our tour asked to have things shipped from Steiff, but they said they no longer do that. I would ask anyway when you are there. Perhaps the person she asked was wrong. Stuffed creatures are easy to stuff in a suitcase.:cool1: You can always order on line, but of course that's not the same as being there.

you are so right about the tax and the items purchased.

I had all the items in one place, except for a few, in a roll backpack and they just unzipped it and looked inside. Did not really look at the items. I got back $100 US and that greatly surprised me. What I did was walk around all the stores in each place and then pretty much purchased from one main store so I didn't have a lot of different receipts. They also keep your original receipt, so don't pack that. The tax declaration booth(s) are right next to security in most cases.

abbyjt: you are so right. I won't buy veal or pork for a while. :rotfl2:

now that I look back on the whole trip, the "surprises" were not "so great". We knew they were actually in the works. :confused3

I got my CD from ABD yesterday with all the pics on it. There were over 600 of them. But way too expensive to get individual cc's. Glad I had my camera with me. You should receive yours w/in two weeks. To buy all the pics at once wasn't too bad a price. I might look into that.

I think you must have had Jason & Stephanie as your guides. The tours overlap about 2 days with two sets of guides. Ours were Dave and Jannae. So Dave and Jannae are on tour now and Jason and Steph are on their way back up to Frankfurt to get ready for the new group on Saturday. Besides their salary, the tips work out pretty well for them and no tax at that. But they really do a super duper job. ;)

Hi, I have been reading this thread for a while now. We just got home from the Germany trip. It was great. No need for a trip report as it has all been said, except, of course, for the surprises. There are not really too many must have items to buy in Germany. Perhaps some Xmas stuff. Some on our trip bought coo coo clocks. You can have the big stuff shipped and then they take off the tax.

Speaking of tax, no one tells you this stuff (and we asked them about it). Anything (total purchase) you buy that costs more than 25 euros, you can get the tax back as long as the store participates in the tax free thing. The catches are, you need to ask for the form each time you make such a purchase and then have the items available at the airport to show to the tax agent. So don't pack them. Nobody told us not to pack them. I had all the receipts and the forms all filled out. The desk is right where you are dropped off at the airport, but we decided to check in first and then come back. Wrong move. You can't get the tax back without the items. The lady told us to go ask the airline for our luggage back. We chose not to. The tax is 19%. So it is worth the extra work to get some euros back at $1.60 a euro. We spent 65 Euros (over a hundred dollars) on 3 small teddy bears at Steiff.

As for the food, it is OK. Nothing fabulous. Lots of pork and veal. Disney offered chicken or fish as an option most of the time. Meals on our own, we chose thai and falafel.

Hope you have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter