One Day in Disneyland-Where to Eat?

I still haven't been there yet. I waited about 5min in line once, then changed my mind & went to Bengal BBQ. lol

Were you waiting behind people getting Dole Whip? If you just want the bao buns you can just go around them. I was waiting once when a CM told me to just go ahead. The bun counter is faster since they are all ready.

Were you waiting behind people getting Dole Whip? If you just want the bao buns you can just go around them. I was waiting once when a CM told me to just go ahead. The bun counter is faster since they are all ready.
Funny you say that, i heard that you can skip past the "food people" and go get a Dole Whip if you want, but when i did that they said no you have to wait in line. So maybe i misunderstood, & heard it backwards?

Funny you say that, i heard that you can skip past the "food people" and go get a Dole Whip if you want, but when i did that they said no you have to wait in line. So maybe i misunderstood, & heard it backwards?

Well, the Dole Whip counter is first, so I don't know. Basically, there are two counters - one for ice cream and one for bao buns, and, essentially two lines - though I've never seen a particularly long one for the buns. Then there is one set of check-outs for whatever you get. Maybe it works differently when it is really busy.

Last edited:
Well, the Dole Whip counter is first, so I don't know. Basically, there are two counters - one of rice cream and one for bao buns, and, essentially two lines - though I've never seen a particularly long one for the buns. Then there is one set of check-outs for whatever you get. Maybe it works differently when it is really busy.
Yea, I'm not sure if they asked me what I was wanting or if they just said I had to wait in line, maybe they did ask and I said Dole Whip.
But it definitely was busy & the only reason I tried is because I thought I knew a shortcut. lol

We are visiting Disneyland for the first time for one day (and probably only time as we are East Coasters and go to Disney World). Please tell me the must places to eat, preferably not in Downtown Disney, but in the 2 parks (we do have a Park Hopper). Thank you!
That's a tough question! There are so many great restaurants. With only one day I might stick to counter service just to save time. Plaza Inn at Disneyland is really nice—Right on Main Street and a good menu. We also love the Hungry Bear. Jolly Holiday is my favorite for a breakfast sandwich or snack.

If you want a sit down meal, I'd do Blue Bayou.

At DCA we always eat at Pym's. It's counter service and has great food you won't find anywhere else. Lamplight Lounge is very popular, too.

San Fransokyo Square has a few great counter service options, as does Carsland.

Have a great trip!

For the love of Walt do NOT eat any of the corndogs or churros if you're never coming back.

They will ruin WDW corndogs and churros for you.

They've ruined corndogs for me in general.

But if you are the type to taste heaven if only for a moment, then use the app to stay out of the corndog line. Like you'll see a long line and the app will have a pick up time of immediate.

Save the churro for night time. Don't eat any of those crazy flavors. Go traditional. Eat at night.

Everything else I've been able to replicate or find a better option.

For reservations, if you must....

Disneyland has the Blue Bayou. Ask for waterside. My family ate a whole meal as the ride broke down and the family's in the unmoving boat waved to us every once in a while. Good times.

Note, the food is not why you are there. You don't have to order a full meal. Not only is this a money saver but a time saver which is a premium as you're a solo dayer. You can just get desert or bottomless mint julips. Ask for one to go when you're finished. Holding a Mint Julip with the sun shining on the ice as you walk past thirsty park goers should be criminal. They will be green with envy.

Disney California Adventure has so many quick service options that I am very hesitant to say reservation option but the Lamplight Lounge just has really yummy food I can't find other places and the view and breeze sweeping across your table after a hard day of walking? Chefs kiss. You can spend your whole rope drop morning at DCA and "do everything" by noon. Especially with lightning lane.

Good luck. You're at Disney! Don't let FOMO disrupt the amazing time you're going to have.

Disneyland has the Blue Bayou. Ask for waterside. My family ate a whole meal as the ride broke down and the family's in the unmoving boat waved to us every once in a while. Good times.

Note, the food is not why you are there. You don't have to order a full meal.
I often go with my adult DD and grandson. He gets a kid meal (he loves the steak) and DD and I often split a meal. Same when I go with my sister--we split a meal (we also aften split a dessert and usually we each get a Hurricane LOL). I find most restaurant portions to be way too much food for me, so splitting saves money and/or we are able to get more stuff.

Totally agree with everything said by BobaFettFan above ::yes::
Blue Bayou: Iconic atmosphere and experience over food quality (especially if Pirates of the Caribbean is one of your favorite rides).

If you want actual high quality cuisine, try Carthay's Circle or Napa Rose.

Mid-range or counter service, Disney has been killing it with the food offerings and there are so many, take a look at the menus online and see what sounds good.

Galaxy's Edge has a bunch of new and fun stuff.

What's "iconic" for me are the snack items like churros (best in the world istg), dole whip, Mickey ice cream, corn dogs, turkey legs.

Disney California Adventure has so many quick service options that I am very hesitant to say reservation option but the Lamplight Lounge just has really yummy food I can't find other places and the view and breeze sweeping across your table after a hard day of walking
Yes~ Lamplight Lounge, the lobster nachos are amazing.

Last edited:
DL Bengal BBQ's "Meat on a Stick" is AWESOME! It is a must do for me every trip.

Also.. DL has Dole Whips in MANY flavors.. I *LOVE* the Pineapple Raspberry Swirl!!!

Agree with Blue Bayou. It is the one totally DL experience you should not miss. And if you are lucky enough to be going after they have brought Fantasmic! back, you could kill 2 birds with one stone - if they also bring the Blue Bayou Fantasmic! package back (you just get a reserved seating area on the ground - not like WDW's seating). I love both Fantasmic!s, but when ours (DL's) came back after Covid, we got to our space early, were right in front, and I cried when the floats started coming around Tom Sawyer's Island, so beautiful! It truly is magical, the way it incorporates the Rivers of America and Tom Sawyer's Island - hope the new version keeps that special feeling.

If you have one day, I wouldn't deal with Table Service, especially since there are so many good counter service options in the parks.

At DCA: go for whatever sounds appealing in San Fransokyo Square. Chances are good you won't go wrong there.

At DL: Plaza Inn, for the Fried Chicken; Docking Bay 7 (not sure if the menu is the same as WDW's version of the restaurant or not); Jolly Holiday is reliably solid and has great dessert/pastry options; Bengal BBQ has skewers that make a great snack, or you can make it a platter to make it more of a meal.

Use Mobile Order (doesn't work for Plaza Inn or a few other places) where offered. There are pictures of each food offering on the app-perhaps take a look at the menus beforehand so that you aren't wondering what you'll eat in the parks and using your limited time to figure out what to eat. Don't wait until your hungry to place your mobile order; I can tell you from personal experience that nothing's worse than being hangry and not being able to get anything for 30-40 minutes out. Place your order in advance, and choose your time so that your food will be ready around when you'd normally be feeling hungry.

Avoid Hungry Bear. EVERY meal I have had there tastes like disappointment.
I agree! I've been disappointed with their burgers, so had the honey-spiced chicken sandwich last week. It was a chicken strip on a bun. The "honey spiced" was a mayo spread. There is much better food in the parks than Hungry Bear.

We had the churro funnel cake which was good.

You aren't going to find table service that is equivalent to Disney World options, but that's ok. Blue Bayou has great atmosphere but I though the food was just meh. For context, Blue Bayou is usually one of the top recommended at Disneyland but I can think of at least a half dozen restaurants at Disney World that are better for food--Boma, California Grill, Chefs de France (back in the day anyway), Mama Melrose, Narcoossee's, Teppan Edo, Via Napoli, and others. And many more are better for atmosphere. Dining is simply subpar at Disneyland.

Some of the QS is pretty good--my wife enjoyed the quesabirria tacos at Cocina Cucamonga (DCA) and the chowder bread bowl at Aunt Cass Cafe was decent (bread bowl very good, chowder not so much). Tiana's Palace is ok--decent gumbo and muffuletta sandwich. I would not eat at Bengal BBQ. That was awful. Meats were tough and overcooked and sauces no good.

Blue Bayou has great atmosphere but I though the food was just meh. For context, Blue Bayou is usually one of the top recommended at Disneyland
Most of the time Blue Bayou is recommended for the unique atmosphere, not the food. Every once in a while, you'll read that someone thought their food was exceptional. Otherwise people describe it a nice sit down meal.

For better food, most recommend either Napa Rose or Carthay Circle.

Those are fighting words. :duck:

I think most consider DLR better for quick service and snack carts and WDW better for sit down dining.
Those ARE fighting words!!! :rotfl:That's like saying Dole Whips are overrated!!

Disneyland was my home park for 4 years and yeah, the sit downs are not the greatest. Napa Rose in DCA is okay. There are a couple of places in Downtown Disney that are good. I've eaten at Ballast Point and Naples. The food was good. Not fantastic, but good. I like that Downtown Disney is between both parks and not a long bus ride away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter