One perk I wish I had as a DVC member is....

bradpga

Mouseketeer
A discount on park passes! I do appreciate the perks and privaledges that are extended to us, even though I seldom take advantage of them. I know we get a discount on AP's. But my family visits Disney World about 8-10 days a year on 2 split trips. An annual pass would not benefit me BUT a 20% discount on 10 day no expiration park hopper passes for 4 WOULD BE GREAT! Just wishing..............:thumbsup2

Obviously an AP discount doesn't fit every DVC owners' needs, but IMHO I think that it fits the majority. Keep in mind why DVC offers park admission discounts...to get people into the parks spending money on food and souvenirs. An AP discount possibly gets people into the parks more often than they would with a daily pass. At least, that's what it did for us. Would you go to the parks more often with a discount on daily passes?

If you are going 8-10 days a year with split trips, can't you time it so you are taking three of the trips in a one year period and therefore getting 14-15 days out of the AP? If you could, the AP would be very worthwhile.

Besides, the AP is an entry into other discounts like DDE and room cash discounts.

If I have a choice, it's AP all the way vs daily park tickets. But again, I can see where that wouldn't benefit others as much, especially those who only go for a week every couple of years.

If you are going 8-10 days a year with split trips, can't you time it so you are taking three of the trips in a one year period and therefore getting 14-15 days out of the AP? If you could, the AP would be very worthwhile.

This is what my parents do. We go on an annual trip together in the fall and every year we swap what month we will go so they get the maximum out of their APs.

For example:
Year One they buy their APs in December and we go on vacation then.

Year Two we switch our vacation to the last week of November while their passes are still good.

Some years they will go more than just our regular family vacation.

We only go every other year (generally) and therefore can't get the yearly switchy thing to work for us. We used to make use of the discount on UPHs before the APs, but the MYW passes actually come out to cheaper than the discounted UPHs did. Everyone else gets it, but since I come out ahead, I'm still happy. Would I like a discount -- I wouldn't turn it down - but the MYW passes are such a good deal for over five days - and not a bad deal for ten with the non-expiring option (when I don't lose them).

I would also like a discount on regular passes. The annual pass discount is nice - but doesn't make sense for all of us. We simply can't get back within a year to use it.

Obviously an AP discount doesn't fit every DVC owners' needs, but IMHO I think that it fits the majority. Keep in mind why DVC offers park admission discounts...to get people into the parks spending money on food and souvenirs. An AP discount possibly gets people into the parks more often than they would with a daily pass. At least, that's what it did for us. Would you go to the parks more often with a discount on daily passes?

Besides, the AP is an entry into other discounts like DDE and room cash discounts.

If I have a choice, it's AP all the way vs daily park tickets. But again, I can see where that wouldn't benefit others as much, especially those who only go for a week every couple of years.

Granny, I completely agree. There has to be somethijng in it for WDW and DVC to offer discounts. The discounts on the AP are more than made up for with the additional money spent during those extra visits.

I wonder if the OP saw the entitlement thread before posting this? Not saying the OP even remotely sounds that way just wondering.

This is what my parents do. We go on an annual trip together in the fall and every year we swap what month we will go so they get the maximum out of their APs.

I do the same thing. I bought my pass on 4/27 last year and am going 4/21 to 4/27 this year, so it will expire on the day I leave. I also went in June and October last year, so about 21 days total use.

Considering that for adults the discounted AP is less than your 10 day MYW no expiration hopper pass, why would you not buy the AP. Even if you don't use it again during the next 365 days you still save some on each ticket.

If you can use it again before it expires you are saving huge amounts over MYW tickets. Even if we only go once a year we do stagger our trips so that our last day of the second trip is the day our tickets expire.

If you are buying any MYW base ticket over 5 days with hopper and non expiring, you are paying more than the AP with DVC discount.

However if you are saying you only go to Disney for 4-5 days each trip and those trips are spaced further apart than 365 days; then no the AP won't work for you.

But I imagine you are not the norm for most DVC and most are going much more often in 365 days, hence the reason to discount an AP for them. We go for 2 weeks each trip and each trip is within the 365 days so for us it is a huge savings and we were thrilled to get it.

Also many times due to having tickets we will throw in a 5 day unplanned stay in between.

We'd like to see a MYW tix disc. too. We don't park hop & have no interest in the plus's.

Nice to be able to do day trips to the other attractions (Universal, SWorld, Busch Gardens, Kennedy Space Ctr; even the beach) all within an easy drive of home base @ WDW.

Assume that is what Disney dreads most...spending $s offsite;)

We'll just go w/4 day tix this year; since we're moving on over to Universal for FOTL; going on a "cruise only" in Dec. & hopefully DL next June.:wizard:

we can hope.

did DVC change any of the current percs this year? Haven't seen anything posted.

Considering that for adults the discounted AP is less than your 10 day MYW no expiration hopper pass, why would you not buy the AP. Even if you don't use it again during the next 365 days you still save some on each ticket.

We are going for 11 nights and getting the 10 day MYW with park hopping but not getting the no expiration because we will use all 10 days. Midway through our stay we are going to have a resort/DTD/relaxation day.

I wish we had the option of an 11 day ticket - but we don't :( The 10 day hopper without the no expiration is still cheaper than the AP with the DVC discount.

Normally we go for somewhere between 8 and 10 nights. This 11 night trip is a "bonus" for us.

I am not complaining about the price of tickets - I think they really aren't that bad especially if you do stay as long as we do. It would be nice if we could get a discount on them - especially since we can't make it back to use an AP within the year. It just isn't feasible for us especially since I am a teacher and we have two teen DDs whom we do not want to pull out of school.

Oh well - such is life - ya don't always get everything ya want. right? :confused3

Cruise Discounts. My married children are really wanting to go on a Disney Cruise. We did a 3 day once, it was not long enough. They are so much more compared to other cruise lines. Just my 2 cents.

Free airfare to WDW from anywhere in the world, free food while we are at WDW from any restaurant in the State of Florida, free Universal Orlando passes.

Yes, I know these are ridiculous but my point is that I agree with Granny. We can wish for anything we want but unless Disney sees it as a positive for their bottom line, it isn't happening. I'm sure they track these very carefully and are well aware of what perks work the best. From what I've read on these boards, the AP discounts may be a temendous success.

HBC

If you can use it again before it expires you are saving huge amounts over MYW tickets. Even if we only go once a year we do stagger our trips so that our last day of the second trip is the day our tickets expire.

If you are buying any MYW base ticket over 5 days with hopper and non expiring, you are paying more than the AP with DVC discount.

However if you are saying you only go to Disney for 4-5 days each trip and those trips are spaced further apart than 365 days; then no the AP won't work for you.

But I imagine you are not the norm for most DVC and most are going much more often in 365 days, hence the reason to discount an AP for them. We go for 2 weeks each trip and each trip is within the 365 days so for us it is a huge savings and we were thrilled to get it.

Also many times due to having tickets we will throw in a 5 day unplanned stay in between.

Thanks Sammie.

Good Summary. My wife and I have went over this time and time again.

The non expiry tickets are nice but if you schedule your trips right the AP is the way to go.

I believe that the AP's start the one year "timer" on the first day of use am I correct?

We are going for 11 nights and getting the 10 day MYW with park hopping but not getting the no expiration because we will use all 10 days. Midway through our stay we are going to have a resort/DTD/relaxation day.

I wish we had the option of an 11 day ticket - but we don't :( The 10 day hopper without the no expiration is still cheaper than the AP with the DVC discount.

Normally we go for somewhere between 8 and 10 nights. This 11 night trip is a "bonus" for us.

I am not complaining about the price of tickets - I think they really aren't that bad especially if you do stay as long as we do. It would be nice if we could get a discount on them - especially since we can't make it back to use an AP within the year. It just isn't feasible for us especially since I am a teacher and we have two teen DDs whom we do not want to pull out of school.

Oh well - such is life - ya don't always get everything ya want. right? :confused3

We try to have the relaxation day each day at WDW :)

Front of the line access would be a perk we would enjoy, especially if it extended to our guests.

Free airfare to WDW from anywhere in the world, free food while we are at WDW from any restaurant in the State of Florida, free Universal Orlando passes.

Yes, I know these are ridiculous but my point is that I agree with Granny. We can wish for anything we want but unless Disney sees it as a positive for their bottom line, it isn't happening. I'm sure they track these very carefully and are well aware of what perks work the best. From what I've read on these boards, the AP discounts may be a temendous success.

HBC
Two points I made on another thread. One is it really is OK to ask for perks. If enough people ask and it's reasonable, it may really happen. The other is there is a difference between asking vs demanding and expecting. However if enough people ask about stupid or unreasonable perks, DVC likely quits listening reference the room request issue.

Considering that for adults the discounted AP is less than your 10 day MYW no expiration hopper pass, why would you not buy the AP. Even if you don't use it again during the next 365 days you still save some on each ticket. .

Well, I'll give a personal experience here. We buy the 10 day MYW PH with no expiration tickets. This gives us 10 park days and 5 water park days.

We only do one- two parks per visit so the MYW tickets last us 2-3 years sometimes. We've had our one nbow for over a year and we still have many days left and all of the waterpark (plus) features left.

We do not have to play the juggling trip dates to get more visits over the one year period. We simply go when we want. We may go to the AP at some point soon but the MYW has been great so far.

I find the AP discount to be the best thing since slicked bread! We were buying APs before the discount happened and shifting trip dates by a week to get more trips on one pass. Now we actually take more trips a year, but we can still shift the start date by buying new ones if it is going to be 6 months or so after the end of an AP. We can still travel whene ver we want, and the discount lets us know we can just go into a park for dinner only, if that's what we choose to do. PLEASE don't complain too loudly about the AP discount, because I certainly would hate to see it go away!:scared1:

I'm a teacher too and we find annual summer trips make it pretty easy to do APs and get 2 years use by simply moving the second summer trip up one week. We can drive, so we go a few times a year - but even with one trip you could do June 12-23 in 2007, then June 1-12 in 2008 and get two big trips with one AP purchase.

Sorry I have more than one. AP has been great for us-nothing like hitting a few rides and Fantasmic on the day of arrival without having to burn an "entire day pass". Also on evenings back from AK-why not hop over to Illuminations or something, so hopping would be necessary for us.

1) Would like on line availability even if it meant calling to confirm/reserve.

2) Also 1 or 2 FOTL passes good for each day during our stay.

3) Maybe a TV channel in the room to display "current" FP distribution times for each ride at each park so the day/evening can be planned accordingly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter