Only CS at DL

I keep hearing that DL has better counter service/quick service food than WDW. When I start researching I’m finding little information on the majority of it and if it’s possible to eat decently (little to no hamburgers and chicken tenders) without doing any TS meals. This is my first DL trip and I’m trying to be mindful of my planning and trying to not over plan, but I am worried I’ll get to the “I’m starved and I need to eat soon” stage and have no clue what I’m doing in regards to CS/QS.

Is mobile ordering really as easy as it appears? (they didn’t really have that the last time I was at WDW so I’m new to it.)

Is it similar to WDW and the typical meal times are just crazy and you can’t find a place to sit?

What are some favorites that aren’t normally mentioned? (I already plan on getting a corn dog in DL, but other than that I’m open to ideas!)
There is zero reason to eat a "normal" hamburger, I dare say you will need to actually actively look for one! Hungry bear is gourmet burger so I would say save room for that! It also has great seating.

I like the chowder bowls (thought might be too hot for it now) at Harbour Galley (also good seating). You can also take your food to the island and there are picnic tables there.

I know your post mention CS/QS only but if this your first DL visit, please please please consider Carnation Cafe for a meal/snack/coffee. It is an important part of the Disneyland imho and the experience/ambience is really quintessential to DL.

60 days out from our trip (starts this Sunday), I made a few table reservations so we would have some options. That far out, I didn't get much help from the fam (especially She Who Will Be 16).

Our Hungry Bear F! package for Sunday got canceled, so we have nothing reserved for that day.

On Monday, I had a Carnation Cafe dinner res for 6:30 and then recently added the WOC Dessert Party for that night. But the picky eater looked at the menu and said there was nothing she would eat. So canceled THAT too.

On Tuesday we have a dinner res for Storyteller's and we're trusting to all finding some food at the buffet!

Wednesday is the girl's 16th birthday! Yay. Have breakfast reserved at Carnation and dinner at River Belle Terrace. Again she looks at the RBT menu and says it is all gross. <sigh> We're hanging on to that for now and hoping she'll see something earlier in the trip that she'll want for her Birthday Dinner. Was going to add a celebration cake to the RBT meal, but now with that on the rocks I will not be.

Rob

There is zero reason to eat a "normal" hamburger, I dare say you will need to actually actively look for one! Hungry bear is gourmet burger so I would say save room for that! It also has great seating.

I like the chowder bowls (thought might be too hot for it now) at Harbour Galley (also good seating). You can also take your food to the island and there are picnic tables there.

I know your post mention CS/QS only but if this your first DL visit, please please please consider Carnation Cafe for a meal/snack/coffee. It is an important part of the Disneyland imho and the experience/ambience is really quintessential to DL.
Thanks for the reminder on Carnation Cafe. Actually just managed to get a late lunch reservation for one of my days.

I think calling Hungry Bear a “gourmet burger” is quite a stretch. It’s a normal, amusement park hamburger, but not too bad.

Hearthstone Lounge inside the GCH had an excellent burger last time I ate there. I might call that one gourmet. Lamplight Lounge in DCA also has a decent burger. But the quick service burgers are nothing special.

I like Carnation Cafe for lunch or dinner, but not breakfast. But I'd rather eat at Lamplight Lounge or even just get a Ronto Wrap versus Carnation Cafe. Although the fried pickles at Carnation Cafe are amazing and I don’t even like pickles! 😂

Is mobile ordering really as easy as it appears? (they didn’t really have that the last time I was at WDW so I’m new to it.)

Is it similar to WDW and the typical meal times are just crazy and you can’t find a place to sit?
I was there during spring break and I didn’t really have any issues with long lines. Even flo v8 I just walked up and ordered in person.

If you are worried about long lines or a place to sit, consider getting early lunch around 11 and dinner around 530. The only place I would worry about is if you want to eat in Toontown. There are also quiet benches on the way to Star Wars land via Adventureland and behind grizzly peaks. I personally like getting some food and heading over to Tom Sawyer Island to eat and let the kids run around a bit.

I think calling Hungry Bear a “gourmet burger” is quite a stretch. It’s a normal, amusement park hamburger, but not too bad.

Hearthstone Lounge inside the GCH had an excellent burger last time I ate there. I might call that one gourmet. Lamplight Lounge in DCA also has a decent burger. But the quick service burgers are nothing special.

I like Carnation Cafe for lunch or dinner, but not breakfast. But I'd rather eat at Lamplight Lounge or even just get a Ronto Wrap versus Carnation Cafe. Although the fried pickles at Carnation Cafe are amazing and I don’t even like pickles! 😂

Agree with ALL of this.

I mean, I suppose Hungry Bear is "gourmet" compared to a McDonald's cheeseburger, but it is NOT a gourmet burger.

The burger at Carnation Cafe is much better than the counter service ones. The one at Hearthstone is similar to CC. The one at Lamplight Lounge is the best one of all.

Please don’t ever pass up the fried chicken at Plaza Inn! I hadn’t eaten there in all the years I’ve been going and this last trip I just decided that was the place to go. Itwas the best fried chicken I’ve had since my grandma passed! I’m not a fan of “11 herbs and spices” (usually too greasy), but I will do Popeyes in a pinch. Now all I can think about is getting back to DL for fried chicken!
Have you compared that to Mrs. Knott's, and if so, what's your conclusion?

No, sorry to say, and probably will never. I cannot do the type of rides at Knott’s or Magic Mountain anymore due to Meniere’s. But I did go there once with my grandparents when I was 11. That happened to also be my first trip DL.

But if anyone else can compare, jump right in! I just loved Plaza Inn because it was just plain old fashioned fried chicken, not a heavy coating, nice and crisp, not greasy at all. Gonna get some more come July…. :love:

I prefer plaza inn chicken but knotts is sit down in a more relax/less people setting. Also knotts has some more exotic sides and I like their lemonade selection better.

No, sorry to say, and probably will never. I cannot do the type of rides at Knott’s or Magic Mountain anymore due to Meniere’s. But I did go there once with my grandparents when I was 11. That happened to also be my first trip DL.
Oh, the restaurant is outside of the theme park. Maybe you wouldn't find it worth going over to Buena Park just for a meal, but if you would, know that you don't need to pay an entry fee to try the chicken!

Their plant-based ronto wrap uses the impossible meat. It’s delicious.
Bummer. I love zucchini and squash more than I love pretend meat, but I will check the ingredients and give it a try if I am able. Is it the sausage or another product, do you know? Sorry for so many questions about a simple ronto roast, but that is about the only thing I can eat in that area and I really really love the zucchini one in Disney World.

Bummer. I love zucchini and squash more than I love pretend meat, but I will check the ingredients and give it a try if I am able. Is it the sausage or another product, do you know? Sorry for so many questions about a simple ronto roast, but that is about the only thing I can eat in that area and I really really love the zucchini one in Disney World.
So I’m not vegetarian and I’m not intimately familiar with the Impossible line, but it would seem to be “sausage” of some kind. It’s very soft. The flavors of the wrap are what do it for me, the kimchi slaw and pickled cucumber … lots of vegetables, very crunchy and flavorful! It’s delicious

Oh, the restaurant is outside of the theme park. Maybe you wouldn't find it worth going over to Buena Park just for a meal, but if you would, know that you don't need to pay an entry fee to try the chicken!
True. Plus, Knotts also has a to go window. I think you can order and pick it up online. We ate in the restaurant in April of this year. I had grilled chicken and it was very good. Loved the boysenberry festival. One of these times, I will purchase a couple of the plants and bring them home (AZ) and enjoy them when we cannot make a trip to Knotts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter