Oops, my fingers slipped and I booked another cruise. Ft Lauderdale port?

darnheather

DIS Veteran
Have any of the ships sailed from Port Everglades yet? If so thoughts on the area? I booked a Very Merry even though I was disappointed in the last one. Hoping, this will be better and I will actually get to see Mickey Santa. ::MickeyMo:santa: What can I say, my daughter is practically begging to sail the Magic one last time before turning 18.

We are doing the same but Port Canaveral. I don't know if we will cruise DCL after DS turns 18 next year.

Have any of the ships sailed from Port Everglades yet? If so thoughts on the area? I booked a Very Merry even though I was disappointed in the last one. Hoping, this will be better and I will actually get to see Mickey Santa. ::MickeyMo:santa: What can I say, my daughter is practically begging to sail the Magic one last time before turning 18.

Haven't sailed Disney from Port Everglades. But have on other lines. Disney is going to have a dedicated terminal facility there. So you will walk right into the waiting arms of the mouse (Celebrity and Royal also have dedicated). The port is busy and industrial. The sail away is pretty neat. If you are going out on a major departure day you'll have people watching from their apartment balconies waving.

Hotels in the area are varied. Dania Beach is a popular place to stay. You can also stay up near Sunrise if you want some shopping. There is also various hotels in and around the area that cater to the cruise port. But many are not in the most walkable areas. Getting to port is a short drive and can be done with Uber or arranged through your hotel. And getting off is pretty easy to get onto a shuttle or taxi to the airport without pre-arrangements. The airport is so close to the Port.

Is Disney sailing out of Ft Lauderdale yet? Friends are sailing on the Dream in 8 days and they’re still out of Miami.

Looking at the website, I don’t believe Disney is sailing out of Ft Lauderdale until Nov 2023.

I sailed from Fort Lauderdale on Royal nearly a decade ago. (I guess it was already called Port Everglades then?)

More recently, I have used FLL (Fort Lauderdale) for flights to cruises out of Miami. I prefer the FLL airport over Miami, mainly for schedules and flights.

I think Port Everglades is going to be a positive experience for Disney cruising. Not just a newly refurbished (or built?) dedicated terminal, but the location of the port to the airport and hotels. No hour or longer drive from Orlando.

Now, how do we mark a thread title with a laugh emoji?

Our Very Merry next December is on the Dream out of Port Everglades. Are you sure it's the Magic or are you just saying she wants to "experience the magic" one more time?

Our Very Merry next December is on the Dream out of Port Everglades. Are you sure it's the Magic or are you just saying she wants to "experience the magic" one more time?
Well poop, she did specially want the Magic but I think it might be in dry dock during that time. I would like to go on the Dream, because it will be the one older ship we haven't been on. I'll ask her what she wants to do, keep it or skip it. I might go without her if she says skip it. :-)

Edit to say it is actually going through the PC in December. Not sure how I missed that. Sure wish I could be on it! Love the PC trips.

Last edited:

Is Disney sailing out of Ft Lauderdale yet? Friends are sailing on the Dream in 8 days and they’re still out of Miami.

Looking at the website, I don’t believe Disney is sailing out of Ft Lauderdale until Nov 2023.
I think you’re right, however, it sounds like some folks here have sailed out of Port Everglades on other cruise lines.

My type A personality appreciates this thread because I need to immediately learn all the things about my cruise out of this port…in 15 months. 🤣

Well poop, she did specially want the Magic but I think it might be in dry dock during that time. I would like to go on the Dream, because it will be the one older ship we haven't been on. I'll ask her what she wants to do, keep it or skip it. I might go without her if she says skip it. :-)

Edit to say it is actually going through the PC in December. Not sure how I missed that. Sure wish I could be on it! Love the PC trips.

Saw on your signature your Grand Slam was screwed up by COVID... ours too. We missed a trip on the Wonder and now it's off to Australia so it may be a while. We've done the Dream twice, the Fantasy twice, the Magic twice, and the Wish. I have enjoyed all of the ships pretty much equally but my husband and the family we usually travel with like the bigger ships much more. I'm excited about the longer itinerary on the Dream since both of our cruises on that ship have been 3 nights.

Enjoy it. Once they turn 18 cruising becomes a whole different experience. At least for my club-loving kids, it did. Now it's more about the ports.
Hopefully, she'll still want to cruise after entering adulthood. I have one that does and one that doesn't. The one that does likes to travel and the more exotic the better. The relaxing Caribbean cruises are pretty much out.

I love the title of this thread! We booked a placeholder on our Dream cruise last month (5 nt Western Caribbean out of Miami) and decided on a 4 nt Bahamas cruise on the Dream out of Fort Lauderdale for spring break next year. I am wondering if this port will be a better experience overall than with sailing out of Miami?

Disney won’t shift to Port Everglades until later in 2023. We’re sailing out of the new terminal in March 2024. We chose a 5 and 4 day back to back on the Dream over a 7-day Fantasy or back to back on the Wish.

It will be a (refurbished) dedicated Disney terminal, so I’m sure it will be great. It won’t have the character or uniqueness of the Canaveral terminal, but it won’t be generic either.

Being a few miles from FLL airport and closer to MIA airport than MCO to Canaveral, I think this will be a fan favorited.

I love the title of this thread! We booked a placeholder on our Dream cruise last month (5 nt Western Caribbean out of Miami) and decided on a 4 nt Bahamas cruise on the Dream out of Fort Lauderdale for spring break next year. I am wondering if this port will be a better experience overall than with sailing out of Miami?
I’ve sailed out of FLL with Royal and Miami a few times with NCL and Disney. FLL is so much better in every way imaginable.

We've sailed out of FLL on Princess multiple times and the terminals will be right next to each other and they will share the new Heron garage that will service both Terminal 2 (Dedicated Princess Terminal) and Terminal 4 (DCL). We parked there for our last Princess cruise in December and it was super easy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter