Opinions on "line cutting"?

JerrodDragon89

DIS Veteran
So when I went to the park last week, it was one of the first time I've seen a few times someone or half the family in line for something and them just waving more people to join them.

So I've heard the stories but rarely seen it until last weekend. I saw Multiple times people waving others come and join them later in line for something and them just lifting a chain or something to get in

I even saw it when I was in line to get my ticket scanned, the lines were longggggg but they just waved more people to join them in line near the front, along with seeing it happening on a few attractions where they would just lift a chain or jump a fence to meet up with the rest of the party.

How do we feel about this? On the one hand its just 4-6 more people on the other I mean what's the point of a line if anyone can just join at any point.

Yea, probably fighting a losing battle here. It is line cutting, but if it happens once or twice a trip - well, it does. The obvious thing for us, and what we do if we are in that situation - the party in front goes BACK in line to meet up with the rest of the party. But that doesn't seem to be something some folks even remotely consider.

Then there is that situation where the line is long and someone in the party has a restroom emergency requirement (often a younger child), leave the line, and then return. I really have no issue with that in a line that's so long - but if folks only see the 'cutting' part of it, it really does look like line cutting. I expect in many cases, it's just rude, line cutting - but we shake our head and move on with the line.

Officially, line jumping or saving places in line is not allowed:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/park-rules/#guest-courtesy-and-attire-policies

• Please show common courtesy to fellow Guests and our Cast Members by not using profanity or engaging in unsafe, illegal, disruptive or offensive behavior, jumping lines or saving places in lines for others. For your safety and the safety of others, please refrain from running.
however, I have seen people do it right in front of CM's, and they will not do anything. They will "attempt" to stop you from running though.

I am not a huge fan of it, but I tolerate it, since the CM's do.

I think it's fine to hold a spot for one or two people at the gates or something. It's a little less considerate to do that in ride lines. I try not to let it bother me though. I mean, at the end of the day it's jsut a few people getting ahead of me and impacts my day zero percent. I choose not to get all worked up about other people's behavior - why let it ruin my vacation?

Disney obviously doesn't care so people figure why should they. Ticks me off when large groups join a couple people- but that's because I'm not benefiting from it as I'm a rule follower and I'm scared if I did it I would be that one person who finally gets punched in the face by a ticked off person in line.

Last summer my daughter almost peed her pants in the Slinky Dog line. The CM told us where to go and did not object when she rejoined us. In the Pandora line we were cut in front of quite a bit. Did not mind when they were obviously using the bathroom provided and returning to their group. I would like a bathroom pass or something to be given out to the person who needs the bathroom, leave the line. I think it would help in situations like this.

It depends on the ratio of ppl joining vs the people in line. It there are 2 ppl in line and 6 join them, then yeah rude af. If there are 6 ppl in line and 2 join them then it's ok. I don't really consider the behavior line cutting in any case.

I don't really care if it's only one or two people, especially if it's at the gate. I just tell myself they somehow got separated from their party, had to use the restroom, etc. More than that, it's annoying. Especially if the joining group is larger than the group already there. But I know the CMs won't do anything so it's pretty pointless to let it ruin my day.

If you have not been in the line, then I'm going to be annoyed if you join your friends or family, and that even includes a parent and child doing it. If your family gets off Small World and wants to go on Mr. Toad but Junior needs the restroom, the whole family needs to wait for Junior rather than getting in line at Mr. Toad and then having Junior join them in line when he finishes in the restroom. Now, let's say that the same family is in line and has been there for 10-20 minutes when Junior suddenly needs the restroom, then I'm okay with him leaving the line for the restroom and then rejoining the family.

These rules are different for picture lines, though. Since it doesn't take any longer to take a picture with 6 people than it does a picture with 1, I'm okay with one person holding a spot in line for the group.

It depends on the ratio of ppl joining vs the people in line. It there are 2 ppl in line and 6 join them, then yeah rude af. If there are 6 ppl in line and 2 join them then it's ok. I don't really consider the behavior line cutting in any case.
Hmmm, now I'm curious what you do consider as line cutting, if not those situations.

Ok I figured out a solution.

All the non-linecutters band together and wear chartreuse and heliotrope striped wristbands.

When a party is joining the other person holding their spot in line, someone in front of that group hold up their heliotrope/chartreuese striped wristband so the others in the non-linecutter club can see, and they can all go jump next to their club members infront of the linecutter/spot-holder party and see how they like it.

I have no problem with the bathroom emergencies.

But I do get annoyed with blatant line cutters. The worst I saw was on grad night afternoon prior to the start of their party. Huge groups would just plow through to meet up with A friend.

What do you think of making home made "Line Cutting" notes to hand to the people cutting as they are going by. Might at least embarrass them a little.

I would totally announce - "Oh you... Wait a minute here is your non-official line cutting pass!"
1708475079734.png

Or maybe a simple....
1708475137135.png

I assume it would mean getting in line when you're not joining others - just stepping in front of people.
Precisely. We've had this happen in RSR with a guy trying to move pass us because his family was supposedly in front of us, this was during rope drop tho so its was obvious his family wasn't and we called him out. He stopped walking and trying to get past ppl then. We later saw his group join him and they were coming from the end of line.

That is line cutting to me.

Someone needing to go to the bathroom, or buying snacks for their group, or sitting in a bench for a few more minutes and joining them is not. That is simply good team work.

Besides, most ride vehicles are made for groups of 4 so it's not like 1 or 2 joining their group are gonna make that much dif in waiting times.

This is my philosophy.

It’s a sucky experience to line cut with your group repeatedly. Excuse me, excuse me, excuse me… then meet with the party and sometimes fine. Sometimes dozens of burning eyes shooting lasers at the back of your heads, people making comments, laughing at the joke you all are, some guy says something inaudible loud and is it directed your way or not?

I think for most people they’re not going to want to deal with doing this over and over. It’s exhausting. The time saved does come with a price (unless you’re a goofy teenager who loves this sort of rebel thing). So I just figure the occasional cutter we see is either bathroom or some other rare legit reason, or they’re going to tire of this and stop on their own soon anyway.

I agree with @thanxfornoticin, @CamillaF and @JennaDeeDooDah. That is the only exception/time when cutting the line is okay. Sometimes, while in line, someone needs to the restroom. This is incredibly common with kids, but it could also happen with adults as well.

I like @CamillaF's idea with the restroom pass. The only issue I could see is finding a cast member to get the pass from, especially if it is a restroom emergency.

Ok I figured out a solution.

All the non-linecutters band together and wear chartreuse and heliotrope striped wristbands.

When a party is joining the other person holding their spot in line, someone in front of that group hold up their heliotrope/chartreuese striped wristband so the others in the non-linecutter club can see, and they can all go jump next to their club members infront of the linecutter/spot-holder party and see how they like it.
The visual imagery I am getting from this is just pure gold! 🤣

We were in line for a ride for over an hour when it temporarily shut down. We had made it all the way to the front and there were maybe 15 people in front of us. One adult member in our party had to use the restroom and couldn't wait. When the line started moving again, we told the CM at the front that someone went to the restroom. They directed us where to stand on the side in order to let others pass us. They let the CM at the LL entrance know to let our friend in through the LL entrance to meet up with us. The CM seemed very experienced with that type of scenario and weren't bothered in the least. If someone else were watching, they probably thought that our friend was cutting in line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter