• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Organizing 101/ April - Living Room

BernardandMissBianca

Rum makes math fun!
OK everyone
Those with Living rooms, this ones for you. Everyone else keep plugging away at the basement. If you have both we'll.....I feel for ya! HEHE

Goal
Create a peaceful space for reading and relaxing
Treat
New candles, candlesticks, vase, or water fountain

Declutter
- Rate your knickknacks. What's gathering dust? Are the flower arrangements dried or petrified?
-Empty and clean any bookcases and magazine racks. Toss or donate anything you don't want to keep. Make separate piles for things that belong in other rooms.
-Make note of any items that need repair, such as window sashes, light fixtures or furniture.

Clean
-Vacuum and clean furniture, floor, baseboards, cushions, walls, fan blades, lampshades and blinds.
- Take down curtains to clean or dryer fluff. Try to switch sides when rehanging to minimize sun damage.
-Dust all knickknacks and picture frames.
-Vacuum and clean rugs or wood floors.
- Check the UL wattage maximum information on the bulb base of each lamp to make sure you've got safe and appropriate lighting.
- Polish and oil wood furniture.
- Dry clean slipcovers and vacuum furniture using upholstery nozzle.
- Wash all windows

Maintain
- Arrange bookcases.
- Set up newspaper and magazine racks to keep clutter to a minimum.
- Schedule any necessary repairs and, if appropriate, have your fireplace inspected and cleaned before the fall.

I'm going to work on my basement tomorrow.. I don't have a living room.. we'll we have a family room/living room but I decluttered that the first time around.. and after the clean sweep we did today.. it's still in good shape!!!

The basement will be done this week.. DH is home.. and I need to get some things done around here!!

To make myself feel better about not having touched my basement yet, can I just have the thrill of saying I'M DONE with the living room. Nice to have done all that in January (and kept it clean since!)

It may be a long time before I get the chance to say "I'm done" again!

Thanks for the list B&MB!!

Just need to add windows to that list for spring cleaning. Guess I know what I will be doing all month long.

I have a LR/FR combo too, so I'm still done from Jan...

And still working on the Craft Room...ran out of steam about 1/2 way through...

Lets see how I can keep up this month. I have a LP but it only has a couch, coffee table, and one end table in it and that furniture is leaving once my brother buys his first place hopefully soon. LOL this one shouldn't take me too long but I'll give it a try.

Okay- This is the same room I organized in January but I need to make my list of what I am going to do in order to keep myself accountable so for Saturday:

1. Fold and put away the laundry (we only washed it last weekend)
2. Empty the dishwasher
3. Make a menu for the next 2 weeks
4. Make my grocery list based on the menu
5. Clean off my table for scrapbooking so I can work on pages again
6. Complete at least 4 pages

Rebecca

I know I haven't "officially" been participating in these challenges, but last week, I had my kids help me do the downstairs. We totally cleaned out and threw away so much junk out of our living room! It was wonderful. Made even more wonderful now that they don't want it to be messy again! They keep telling DH to put his magazines in the right places! :)

I know I haven't "officially" been participating in these challenges, but last week, I had my kids help me do the downstairs. We totally cleaned out and threw away so much junk out of our living room! It was wonderful. Made even more wonderful now that they don't want it to be messy again! They keep telling DH to put his magazines in the right places! :)

Good for them!
I wish mine would take some pride in our house. They just dump as they go. I swear one of these days I'm going on strike!

WEll, my family room/living room is destroyed!!! DH is prepping the walls for a new coat of paint.. so hopefully by months end we will have that done and I can call this room officially RE DONE!

I swear one of these days I'm going on strike!
I'VE GOT AN IDEA! You GO on strike. You know how famous author's go on a book signing tours all over the US and visit bookstores? You can go on a tour all over the US and drop in on those of us who are cleaning/organizing and stay awhile and scrap too! Take pictures as you go. When you get back home, you can report back to all of us what you saw and who you met and so on.

:woohoo:

I'VE GOT AN IDEA! You GO on strike. You know how famous author's go on a book signing tours all over the US and visit bookstores? You can go on a tour all over the US and drop in on those of us who are cleaning/organizing and stay awhile and scrap too! Take pictures as you go. When you get back home, you can report back to all of us what you saw and who you met and so on.

:woohoo:

Sounds like a plan, although they will probably burn the house down as soon as I get to Rhode Island.:rotfl2:

Okay- This is the same room I organized in January but I need to make my list of what I am going to do in order to keep myself accountable so for Saturday:

1. Fold and put away the laundry (we only washed it last weekend)
2. Empty the dishwasher
3. Make a menu for the next 2 weeks
4. Make my grocery list based on the menu
5. Clean off my table for scrapbooking so I can work on pages again
6. Complete at least 4 pages

Rebecca

I did all of this- I even started after I posted last night. Posting a list here sure helps me get it done. Tomorrow I am not planning on anything though except cooking dinner since it is Easter Sunday and we will have a long time at church.

Rebecca

Okay Monday's list:

1. Put away groceries.
2. empty and reload dishwasher
3. Wash 2 loads of laundry
4. Get 6 pages layed out and reay for journalling
5. Type journaling for pages
6. Mail CJ and other titles
7. Make dinner and post menu

Rebecca

Okay Monday's list:

1. Put away groceries.
2. empty and reload dishwasher
3. Wash 2 loads of laundry
4. Get 6 pages layed out and reay for journalling
5. Type journaling for pages
6. Mail CJ and other titles
7. Make dinner and post menu

Rebecca

I did everything but typing my journaling. And I got more pages done than I thought.

Tuesday:
1. Fold laundry(even with 2 of us this is a never ending task)
2. Grade papers
3. empty dishwasher
4. 4 more pages layed out
5. Type journalling
6. Make dinner
7. Exercise

Rebecca

ok. I'm going to try writing it down here too. Maybe I'll actually get it done! :)

1. Mail packages.
2. Make order pads for Kindergarten
3. Put away laundry
4. Tidy kitchen
5. Pay bills
6. Finish teacher appreciation cards

Today:

Put away dishes after lunch.. DS gets them out of the Dishwasher; his chore
Pay bills
Work on genealogy
Pick up kids from kdg.
Track meet tonight
Dinner pre-made

Tomorrow is laundry day! I refuse to do it today!

ok. I'm going to try writing it down here too. Maybe I'll actually get it done! :)

1. Mail packages. Done
2. Make order pads for Kindergarten
3. Put away laundry
4. Tidy kitchen Done
5. Pay bills Done
6. Finish teacher appreciation cards
7. Shred paper for Music teacher

Updated! :) Crusing right along...

To do Tuesday

goodwill
dishes
dishwasher
table
swaps
Dinner at Chilles
living room
sort 1 envelope or box of scrap stuff (I dismantled my space last weekend)
sort 1 basement box
1 load laundry done
put away boys clothes done

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter