• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Orlando Smackdown: Dis vs. Uni. Ch.16 Japan Hates me, Just Hates me 7-13

Sending you best wishes for fast, easy, successful, painless surgery today before heading off to work, also saying a prayer for you and Smidgy.

surgery went well. Dr. said hw wasright in choosing surgery.. it never would have healed without it. nebo now has a plate and some pins in his wrist. we got there at 10:45, we were supposed to get there at 11 but miss OCD here is always early, (just in case, you know) surgery was supposed to be at 12, was at 12:30. didn't get home until 6 cause they weren't even sure if they were going to send him home with his pain level.
his whole arm is purple from bruising. sheesh.
thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

Glad Nebo is home and trying to rest!!! I thought of you both today as we were in the ER of our local hospital for four hours. :( Nothing major, just an annoyingly long visit with drs that didn't know what to do with us.

Take care of yourselves!

Glad it went well. Not liking the "pain level" comment. I hope he got lots of vics to take care of that.

Don't you just hate when you get there early or on time and they make you wait!??

Best wishes for a speedy recovery! :flower3:

Glad to hear that the surgery went well! Hopefully he's on the way to 100%, or at least back to semi-normal :rolleyes1 Thanks for letting us know!!

Nebo, I hope you return soon. Don't let a little bruising, or a lot of bruising, slow you down. Maybe typing your trip report one handed will distract you from your pain.:thumbsup2

Glad to hear that everything went well. I'm also not liking the pain level thing, but it's to be expected with that sort of surgery I'm sure. I'm keeping you both in my prayers during the recovery period. :hug:

his pain is a bit better today. bearable. I stayed home with him today. we go see the dr. in the am, then I have to drop him off and go to the vfw.. can't miss any more work! I ahve a sub sandwich all made up for him, and a bowl of soup ready for him to nuke for lunch. thaks all!

his pain is a bit better today. bearable. I stayed home with him today. we go see the dr. in the am, then I have to drop him off and go to the vfw.. can't miss any more work! I ahve a sub sandwich all made up for him, and a bowl of soup ready for him to nuke for lunch. thaks all!

A sub sandwich. How very Canadian sounding of you. I thought they called them hoagies or grinders up your way? Or maybe I'm thinking of my Boston cousins. I just remember having a long discussion with my american cousins years back where we compared the names for a sandwich on a long roll. Some of them didn't know the term sub.

Well anyway, with good food like that Nebo can't help but feel better. He can hold a fork or a spoon right? :scared:

We're off to Cleveland this weekend for a memorial service (my favorite uncle passed several months ago; the whole extended family is getting together to honor him) so I'll have to reopen the debate about sandwiches. Dear Uncle was a great debater, so perhaps that can be part of the honoring...

glad to hear Nebo is feeling a bit better these things take time I guess. (ok I know since I am married to the most accident prone guy on the west coast)
on the up side for the first time since 2010 we have made it a full year with no unplanned trips to urgent care, er visits or paramedics in my house and ambulance rides. ONE WHOLE YEAR. your next nebo think it and live it one whole year. Believe and receive

A sub sandwich. How very Canadian sounding of you. I thought they called them hoagies or grinders up your way? Or maybe I'm thinking of my Boston cousins. I just remember having a long discussion with my american cousins years back where we compared the names for a sandwich on a long roll. Some of them didn't know the term sub.

Well anyway, with good food like that Nebo can't help but feel better. He can hold a fork or a spoon right? :scared:

We're off to Cleveland this weekend for a memorial service (my favorite uncle passed several months ago; the whole extended family is getting together to honor him) so I'll have to reopen the debate about sandwiches. Dear Uncle was a great debater, so perhaps that can be part of the honoring...

Cleveland?!?! That's my neck of the woods!

Here's a link about the sub/ grinder/ hoagie phenomenon (along with other phrases):
http://www.buzzfeed.com/hillaryreinsberg/who-says-yall-and-10-other-maps-showing-where-americans-say?s=mobile
Do everybody doesn't call them sneakers? I've never in my life heard anyone actually say, "tennis shoes."

Hope Nebo is getting a bit better every day. Can't wait to hear his "trip" report. I know, I know, I've used that one before. My brain is fried from the "whompa-whompa" of helicopters flying over our building since Wednesday. Maybe it's not news where you are, but a NE Patriots player is somehow involved in the murder of his sister's boyfriend (I think) and the victim was found in the industrial park where I work. About 4 buildings down. The fun never ends!

Iwas told there were some well wishers here, so being pathetic I need to check it out

Aww, bless your heart! Hang in there Nebo, if you can hang on one handed!! :duck:
Get on the fast track to feeling better, we miss you! :goodvibes

surgery went well. Dr. said hw wasright in choosing surgery.. it never would have healed without it. nebo now has a plate and some pins in his wrist. we got there at 10:45, we were supposed to get there at 11 but miss OCD here is always early, (just in case, you know) surgery was supposed to be at 12, was at 12:30. didn't get home until 6 cause they weren't even sure if they were going to send him home with his pain level.
his whole arm is purple from bruising. sheesh.
thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

So glad to hear things went well -- even with nasty bruises!! Continued :grouphug: for y'all.

Here's a link about the sub/ grinder/ hoagie phenomenon (along with other phrases):
http://www.buzzfeed.com/hillaryreinsberg/who-says-yall-and-10-other-maps-showing-where-americans-say?s=mobile
Do everybody doesn't call them sneakers? I've never in my life heard anyone actually say, "tennis shoes."

I couldn't access the link, so I don't know how North Alabama (usually decidedly different from the rest of AL) fares in the report. But around here there are no sneakers, just "tenny shoes". :p And our long-roll sandwich is always a sub... unless it's specifically a Po'Boy, that's a whole 'nother thing entirely. :rolleyes1

I say tennis shoes - always have.

I also call them subs except when I'm at a local restaurant called Grinders.

I have been away from here for a while - caught up and...
Best Wishes to the King of Bubble (good babble).
Take care and have a speedy recovery !
Rose

well, around chicagoland, we have always called them "subs". we have subways (although years ago we had a franchise called "Italian uboats"), now we have bub's subs, and there is a little local place called ALgonquin Sub SHop. (when Todd was in high school he wanted to work there just to wear the T-shirt. It said A.S.S. "where your buns are always toasted"). there is a place in Newtown in Chgo. caleed The Chicago Pizza and oven Grinder CO. but I never got a grinder. the pizza was just TOO!!! yummy,. it was like a pot pie, and sold by the pound. I think they're still there.... sometimes I miss the big city!. but I never heard anyone else call them grinders.

Isn't a poor boy (po'boy) a crab cake sandwich, amybe with coleslaw on it?

anyhow, as to the "list":

I always say "pop", never "soda" but my daddy grew up in southern Il, and he called it "sody pop".

I guess I say "you guys". although, esp at the restaurant, I change it to "folks" cause I read somewhere that some people are insulted by being called "guys".. I NEVER.. repeat.. NEVER sayd what some chicagoans say....."youse guys" or just "youse" aargh!!! that would be more of a south side (as in the bridgeport neighborhood, aka "Daley"town) kind of thing. also kind of a lower class thing. in my college days, I was in a "lounge" with a friend and a friend of hers I hardly knew, 3 cute guys sat down by us. the friend of the friend ruined it by saying "So, where do" youse" work?" ... I wanted to crawl under the table.

I say "carmel", 2 syllables, even though it is speeled "caramel"....guilty. which reminds me.... is it a geographic thing for the pronunciation of" striped"? which, to me, is one syllable. but I have heard people say it like 2 syllables:"stri-ped". or maybe a nationality thing?

when I was a kid, our church would have rummage sales, but now they are garage sales. unless you don't have a garge. then it's a yard sale.

I never say tennis shoes, but I used to call them sneakers. now I call them gym shoes. don't know why. I never go to "the gym"!:rolleyes1 when I was real young, they were "P.F.Flyers"! (showing my age here.)

I say kitty corner, not catty. "catty" is whatmiddle school and high school girls turn into in groups of 3. :rotfl:

never heard drinking fountains called anything else. eating midday is lunch, and in the evening is called supper OR dinner, either or. but my daddy, in southern Illinois, had dinner midday on sundays, at a light supper in the evening.
I call the major roads we drive on ANATHEMA! hate them, so busy, scared ot them, and I... ...oops.... sory, I digress
they are interstates. they used to be highways, then freeways, but most of them turned into tollways anyway.
(this is why I drove through Georgia on state route 27 during that tropical storm Lee. I do NOt drive on Interstates . or whatever you call them)

Hye Smidgy, seeing as how i'm from around theese Chicagoland parts i'm with ya on a lot of those.
Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder. The meditteranean Bread, salad and grinder.......Yummy. (don't say yummo)
Po Boy's can be shrimp or fish and usually have a cajun style sauce like a remoulade......
My daddy would say Cola....I started calling it soda, because my restaurant customers were a lot of out of towners, some called any brown pop a coke....
i say goose bumps, i keep hearing goose pimples now.....

i never say youse..........EVER...
Feel better Nebo, heal fast and well.
Smidgy, my fellow server....make sure you care for yourself while caring for that man of yours...

Hugs, KIM

Well.... that's just about the busiest I've been in a while. Crazy last few days, so I'm gonna catch up now.

what is the snd f ne hand tyng

Simple, it's the same as the sound of two hands typing... at half the speed.

However, the sight of one hand typing is this: "what is the snd f ne hand tyng"

surgery went well. Dr. said hw wasright in choosing surgery.. it never would have healed without it. nebo now has a plate and some pins in his wrist.

To match the ones in his foot... and I'm going to assume the one in his head, too.

didn't get home until 6 cause they weren't even sure if they were going to send him home with his pain level.

Ouch! Hope he's feeling a bit better now.

Don't you just hate when you get there early or on time and they make you wait!??

Yes! And if you dare show up a bit late...

"Sorry, my kid threw up all over me and then there was a 40 car pile up on the highway/freeway/interstate/.... road! Then there was an earthquake followed by a flood and topped off with a volcano which destroyed the entire city except for this office.... so that's why I'm late."

The receptionist treats you to a massive eyeroll then tells you, "Even though the Doctor is three hours behind and there are still people waiting from yesterday, you'll have to reschedule since you missed your appointment."

his pain is a bit better today.

That's good.

bearable.

Grumpy as a bear. check.

I ahve a sub sandwich all made up for him, and a bowl of soup ready for him to nuke for lunch.

hmmmm..... Did any of said soup make it from the bowl to the mouth using the spoon in the wrong hand?

Or is Nebo a lefty? I don't recall.

Cool link, thanks for that.
I don't say sneakers or tennis shoes... mostly we call 'em "runners", as in: "I'm going to put on my runners to run to Subway to get a sub."

And when I say "run", I mean "drive".

(when Todd was in high school he wanted to work there just to wear the T-shirt. It said A.S.S. "where your buns are always toasted").

:lmao:

I always say "pop", never "soda"

We usually say "pop"... but we might say "soft drink". Just two days ago, I said, "We have beer or coolers. Or if you'd rather have a soft drink we have, coke, diet coke, root beer..." etc.
"pop" is definitely most common though.

I guess I say "you guys".

ditto

I NEVER.. repeat.. NEVER sayd what some chicagoans say....."youse guys" or just "youse" aargh!!!

Oh, dear. I say "youse" all the time! As in: "Darn it! Did you youse up all the soap and not put in a new one?"

I say "carmel", 2 syllables

3 syllables... although the last two run pretty close together.

when I was a kid, our church would have rummage sales, but now they are garage sales. unless you don't have a garge. then it's a yard sale.

ditto for all three.

I never say tennis shoes, but I used to call them sneakers. now I call them gym shoes. don't know why. I never go to "the gym"!:rolleyes1

Oh, that's right. When I was in school "gym shoes" or "runners" were pretty interchangeable.

And don't forget that very few people who wear "tennis shoes" actually play tennis.

I say kitty corner, not catty. "catty" is whatmiddle school and high school girls turn into in groups of 3. :rotfl:

:lmao: True. And same up here.

never heard drinking fountains called anything else.

Might be drinking fountain but much more likely to be a water fountain.

eating midday is lunch, and in the evening is called supper OR dinner, either or.

yup

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter