• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT - Cedar Works or Rainbow Play Systems?

We've had our Cedar Works for four years now, and LOVE it. My kids play on it every day that the weather is nice. The biggest selling point for us was that there was no upkeep, ie staining or weatherproofing. We had a Costco playset at our old home, and my DH stained it once and said never again, so I knew he wouldn't stain the new set.

We LOVE our Cedar Works. I don't remember the names of everything anymore, but we have a small slide, a big slide, a climbing wall, a crows nest with a steering wheel and a telescope, two swings and a tire swing (that was not from Cedar Works), and monkey bars.

And, just to add, my DH and I can go down the slides, swing, and do the monkey bars also. :)

Good luck with your decison!

I bought one from Walmart that just looked way to cool. I loved the cedar works ones, but I couldnt stomach 5,000 to 40,000 for a playground. yike.

I checked out this thread because I am hoping to find a new swing set for my boys. I would love a wooden one but we live on a hill so the yard slopes. I think there is no way we could get a wooden swing set together on the hill. A metal one would probably be hard too but we already have a metal one so we know it can be done.

I wanted to post this link since I know some of you said you have rainbow swings http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml06/06166.html It is a recall about the swing seats.

Rainbows can be configured for a hill, but it's possible that increases the cost (we didn't need to) . I've seen them installed on some pretty steep slopes!

We have a Rainbow, and we absolutely love it. Our neighbors put a swingset in 3 years ago that was from Menards. It was fine for the kids, but definitely not something the adults could climb around on with the kids. Last summer it blew over in a storm, and was totalled. We then bought the Rainbow Monster Castle, supersized. We paid a little extra because it's installed on a slight hill. We got free installation with the purchase, and the installers had it up and ready for the kids in less than 2 hours. It is sturdy! I'm quite confident it won't get blown over in a storm, and neither DH nor I are nervous about climbing on it or swinging on it. I know it can hold us. My sons are 1 & 4, so we need to be able to climb on it especially with the 1 year old. Yes, it cost more, but IMO you get what you pay for. Our kids are young, and we wanted something to last. We plan to add on the monkey bars, penthouse, and another slide in a few years. I'm not sure if that's an option with the cheaper sets at Menards, Home Depot, etc.

We have a rainbow and stain it every 2 years with the recommended stain. DH sands it down quickly in spots the kids touch before staining, and we've had no splinters. The set looks brand new (4 years old) except our disk swing has faded. He also does a bolt check every spring.

The kids (currently 7 and 5) love the disk swing and the slide. The slide has handles on it to help the kids walk up it (we were told when we bought that they did this because the kids will walk up it anyway, might as well help make it safe!) They're starting to outgrow the sandbox, but we have a picnic table that installs in that area, so I think I'll have DH put that in this summer. I'm also thinking of adding some monkey bars off one side.

My favorite part? The rainbow can handle adults! (and children as big as adults!)

I do like that both the Cedarworks and Rainbows can handle adults. My DH and I plan on using whatever we buy w/ our kids.
So the Rainbows need to be restained about every 2 years???? Do you know about how much the stain costs to cover the whole set?

I do like that both the Cedarworks and Rainbows can handle adults. My DH and I plan on using whatever we buy w/ our kids.
So the Rainbows need to be restained about every 2 years???? Do you know about how much the stain costs to cover the whole set?

It doesn't HAVE to be stained, but it looks better that way. Otherwise it fades to a silvery color. The stain is somewhere around $25, and it takes about half a can to do the whole set.

We have a cedarworks set, and I can honestly say it was the most expensive piece of yard equipment we bought , but well worth the money......we have five kids and about 5 kids + or minus in our yard each day after school-----and they climb all over it, and I have never had a concern about it not being sturdy enough for all of them at the same time.We have a 2 story octagonal main with a wave slide, a ladder up and a rock wall that goes 2 stories--attached is a four swing holder to a small box with the ladder you climb into(forgot the name) and the triple trapeeze------what I really love too is that it will hold ME -----I can swing with the kids, go down the slide ....or sometimes we order a pizza and take it up to the 2nd floor fort to eat!!!!
they do stand behind their product, and if you get picked to be a show family(show other people who call them to inquire your set at your home) you earn money towards new parts.......my neighbors love that they can swing with their infants held on their laps, and that they can go up and get the kids if need be--------we looked at many products before we decided to buy this and I can tell you some of them REALLY shook when 4 of them were on the swings at the same time....I went for the safety aspect--and like I said I have kids from all over the neighborhood all over that thing all at the same time(it is rated for 2000 lbs I think)and never have to worry that it is going to buckle or come apart and hurt someone
I love the wave slide in the summer,the kids run a hose on it in the summer----it is really fun!!!
pm me if you want more info!!!

April 22, 2008

Just finished constructing (I say constructing because the set is made like a BRICK HOUSE) my Cedar Works swing set. I must admit...I am 110% satisfied & in no way feel that the $4,000.00 I spent was a waste...what did annoy me was the directions. they send you like 12 sets of directions for every attachment or add-on...then the instructions are bad...you have to read ahead...sometimes way ahead & the pictures in the instructions are horrible as they are in black and white & not very good copy quality which is my ONLY complaint...besides no follow up call after the set arrived.

For $4,000.00 they can have better directions as well as better diagrams and pictures (they should be in COLOR not B&W as they currently are).

Delivery was quick ($300.00 to NJ) and the driver even helped me to the back with the boxes (my advice...tip the driver a 10 spot ot more..especially if helps you).

Overall...I HIGHLY recommend CEDAR WORKS & maybe pay the extra (I think it's 15% of the cost of the set) money to have it professionally installed & level the area before installation.

My kids love the set & play for hours at a time on it. My 1 1/2 year old even climbs up the ladder that leads to a "TRAP DOOR" all by himself & my 3 1/2 year old is an animal on the thing. I also have fum on the slide, the swings & triple trapeeze. I top the scales at about 250 & it has no problem holding me!

The set is an IRON HORSE! If you want the best...this is it! Yes it is a bit expensive but no splinters, no sanding & no staining or water treating (unless you want to) when you figure the time you're gonna spend remving splitners...putting that needle over the flame & holding your kids down & hearing them scream like we did...it's all worth it NOT TO GO THROUGH IT!

I had 2 neighbors help me...one was a mechanic, the other was a chemist & me...I work on Wall St...it took the 3 of us 2 days...1 full day & 2 half days by myself to assemble it.

I really thought it would have been nice to receive a follow up call or a thank you post card...especially during the recession when you spend $4000.00 on a swing set...maybe I'm a bit particular but.... So buy one & watch your kids light up & have fun!

squirrlygirl...thank you so much for your response about the staining.
I am still waiting for the catalog to come.

shellyfive and anythingformyboys...thank you so much for the detailed
info. about your Cedarworks sets. My husband and I are sitting here
looking at the catalog, putting together different configurations and at
the same time saying, "this is going to be so expensive!" I completely
understand that they make "high quality" playsets, but it just
seems so expensive. We did take a drive
to their office last year and let our oldest DD play. She loved it!

shellyfive...you almost have me sold w/ the pizza and the hose down the
slide...sounds like soooo much fun!

anythingformyboys...I agree w/ you about a follow up call..esp. when
the Cedarworks lady calls us everytime we put a new configuration
together and ask for an email quote. That is disappointing to hear!

IMO CedarWorks is above and beyond incredible- if I had the $$$$$$ I would get one for my kids in a heartbeat.

Mt friend whose father is the CEO of a large company put a CedarWorks playset up in his yard of his summer home for his grandkids- it's a very modest playset and my friend told me it was $8,000!!! YIKES!!!! If I had the dough, I'd do it though.

Rainbow's are nice too- a cut above the average playset- they are my runner up to CredarWorks though. If you have the money and want to spend it splurge on the CedarWorks one!!!

This post couldn't have come at a better time! My husband and I are considering a new play set for our two boys who are 2 and 4. We just bought a house in the fall and the previous owners had a Rainbow system. I'm not sure how old it is - at least 6-7 I'd estimate and it's obvious they did not put any preventative maintenance into it. :( Some of the wood is rotting away - my husband was able to push two deck boards out, and the four vertical supports are rotted away at the bottom also. It's a shame they didn't maintain it or contact Rainbow to come fix it becuase they warrant against this kind of damage to the original owner only. We are debating whether to have them come and replace the rotting parts or just go for a whole new set. Replacing the bad wood would pretty much entail taking it all apart anyway. I'm so shocked at how expensive they are though - I don't have a few thousand sitting around. I know the kids will get a lot of use over the years though and the expense is easier to swallow if I think of it in those terms. Rainbow also no longer makes the small sizes anymore which is what we currently have.

Thanks everyone for posting your experiences with the ones you own. There are soo many choices out there that it's mind boggling after a while. :dance3:

our rainbow set is like 10 yrs old now..they hold up great ..dont know about the other place but i would recomend rainbow

Rainbows can be configured for a hill, but it's possible that increases the cost (we didn't need to) . I've seen them installed on some pretty steep slopes!

Wow! I didn't know that! That would be great. Do share the link where I can find out about getting one :cool1: :thumbsup2 :banana:

Editing to post that I found the website to order them.

Our RAinbow is 5 years old. The kids really like it. We are staining it for the first time this year. DH is almost done with it now. we have the wood roof though and it's pretty impossible to get to the top of it with a regular ladder, so we need to buy a telescopic painting pole I think, LOL. We have had issues with carpenter bees in the past. They drilled holes into the wood. Rainbow replaced it for us. Also squirrels were scratching the heck out of it. It was unbelievable the damage the squirrels did. Rainbow replaced that, too. (I used to have it under a big tree...big mistake.)

GoldenEars...a piece of advice...look at the cedarworks catalogue...find a set you like in your price range & then modify that set. youmay even find (as I did) that you can get what you want for about a grand cheaper.

I would HIGHLY recommend the set & the company because the product is EXACTLY (and more) as described. I looked at it this way...

A) It's only money
B) When you take into account the sanding, staining, power whashing & splinters vs setup & do nothing but play...it all evens itself out.

When you stain...the wood needs to be dry for at least a week or more...then you have to put a few coats on & wait for it to dry a few hours or overnight & maybe have to sand for splinter or peeling paint/stain...maybe take off ropes, swings or climbing wall rocks before stainign & the re-assemble...CEDAR WORKS is actually time wise cheaper & you get to spend more time enjoying your children enjoying the swing set & yes you can put a hose on ANY SLIDE...damn...still no FOLLOW UP PHONE CALL...I even get one when I buy a new car or appliance.

& OH YEAH...you fill out a brief survey & they send you a free sapling CEDAR TREE to plant...

We've had our Cedarworks set for 8 1/2 years and LOVE it. We have even moved it from our old house to this one. It is extremely sturdy and I love the no-splinter wood. We chose this set way back when my oldest son wasn't quite 2. I liked not having a typical ladder for the kids to climb. I run a home daycare, and it is definitely designed for little ones, as well as the older crew. We thought the directions were fairly easy to follow for assembly..dh and I did it by ourselves with no problem. Our set isn't fancy, but it certainly wasn't cheap..but it has been well worth the money. The kids have gotten so much use out of it. We have four kids, plus about 7 daycare kids, as well as a variety of neighborhood kids here frequently, and I never have to worry about having too many kids on at once. It was one of our best purchases.

I keep seeing the splinter-free wood mentioned on cedarworks..... I swear my rainbow is also made with cedar (but it has been a few years so I'm not positive), so is there something different they do to the wood to keep it from splintering, or do they just market the splinter-free aspect more? Not that I've ever had a splinter on mine, but we were told to sand any rough spots during maintenance.

I keep seeing the splinter-free wood mentioned on cedarworks..... I swear my rainbow is also made with cedar (but it has been a few years so I'm not positive), so is there something different they do to the wood to keep it from splintering, or do they just market the splinter-free aspect more? Not that I've ever had a splinter on mine, but we were told to sand any rough spots during maintenance.

Here is a quote from Cedarworks:
"THE BEST wood. No one else uses Northern White Cedar which is splinterfree, chemical free, and maintenance free. "

I guess the type of cedar they use is diff. than the others.

For those of you w/ Cedarworks...which of these options would you go with??

i have the shore step in mine (the zig-zag steps inside, right???)... I hate sandboxes... i could just see my ds throwing the sand around instead of playing w/ it, knim? But if you have a child who would play nicely w/ the sand, most kids love a sandbox too. And mine still use the sure step in their 'play'... i actually just asked them the other day if they wanted us to take it out since they're now 6 and 8, and they said "no!", they use it as a jail, as a store w/ shelves, and for other things.
hth!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter