Our 2014 Trip Log: "Everything is AWE-suuuummmm!" Trip

Readerbug

Using My Ears
:music: "Everything is Awesome,
When You Work As a Team!"
:cool1: Sept. 28- Oct 10.

Upfront Disclosure: I do write "long". Like chatty. Fair warning, no one has to read it all, especially on a small screen!

Not Disney, it's the theme from the recent Lego Movie, but consider it Downtown Disney. My kids give our trips theme songs, sometimes a soundtrack evolves.

Last year it turned out to be the "When Will I See You Again?" (Wreck-It Ralph) and the "You" they sang about, on successive car trips, was WDW seen wistfully through the unique flavor of the Fort.

Little did we know DH would be going to EduCause, an IT conf. in Orlando and we would 'See You Again' sooner than otherwise. We will spend a lot of time at the campground and very little- to maybe no- will see how it rolls- time at the parks, then beach-hop back home

We will be tenting the first stormy night- planning on it as 'Making Magic pixiedust: Training' and the next afternoon, renting the same unit from Curt at Fort Camper Rentals that we did last year. I hope to post pics once we are cozy at home in his pop-up.

It's the middle of 'The Night Before'. What I'm going to do now, instead of:surfweb: to the sound of a cricket, is help out DH by making it all fit -:wizard: tent, tarps, duffles and stuff for a multi-stay-type trip for 8, in the 2'x5'x4' cargo space of an SUV while he sleeps. Dif kind of "Making Magic", def!

Think I need to ditch the big cooler. It won't be loaded up or needed until we arrive. Maybe there's more to pitch. Feeling pirate:up to it now!!

:wave2:

Sounds great! My husband is the official Packer of the Car in our family. My spatial reasoning is somewhat below par. We leave for Disney on 10/2.

Good luck with the packing!

Sounds like a fun trip and I'm kind of envious about the lots of time at the Fort. I do wish I still lived in FL. I'd own an RV and be at the Fort as much as possible! Can't wait for your photos. Have a fun and safe trip! pixiedust:

We are packing up, too! We head out Monday and arrive at the Fort Friday, 10/3. DH is in charge of the strategic packing of the vehicle. I do the pre-trip planning, organizing, etc.

I am in denial mode right now. Tomorrow is going to be a very busy day!

To come later, full reports of a 'taking it easy' drive down, with two really lovely :thumbsup2 Tent overnight stops at Oak Mountain State Park, just south of Bama Ed's briar patch, and the second night, tenting too, at Suwannee River State Park just west of Lake City, Florida. Details when I take time to master pic posting.

In short, both with sewer hookups, the first is groomed and full paved, the second, rustic. We rate the first campground a family10- lake beach, trails, petting farm, golf, beauty, more-and the second, a real high 8- scenery, civil war earthworks, and new bathrooms with larger, very near as nice shower units as the Fort.
I would have said, as nice, but I'm rocking on the Meadows Trading Post porch, watching a momma teach her little 3 year old to flip his little plastic casting fish just so, and listening to dueling banjos, me just cool-fresh (morning's getting warm fast) from a loop 1500 shower. No, even those new bathhouses can't compare!

"Mommy! My hot dog's gone!" Now there are three young ones and an egret at the bike barn shore and the fishing's getting exciting.

I've got to smile at the "strategic packing mode" gene...or our absence of it, in my case, too. By that point, it feels my brain cells are fried! And I totally was in a "denial mode" of my own, typing that post when sleep or something else was the more efficient op.

Last night it was supposed to pour, but after our set-up, (large Eureka domed 12 x 12 tent, everyone in, no cots or air mattresses this time- (surprise! We all slept well, every night without 'em.:confused3)- including a clever tarred dining fly constructed by the boys, a quick swim and slide, we ate a pixie-dust added Giddy Up And Go meal while watching the camp movie Tangled, and no lasting rain yet.

This morning we're headed to church services as normal, even at Disney, then we are switching sites into our Fort Camper Rental pop up. So I need to leave the lone rocker free for one of you. Now Oh Shenandoah is playing. The bus across the walk makes a Squeee- P-shhht dee dee dee- stop -Shoop , some peaceful looking retires step in and off they head to the dock under bright blue and white skies.
And I head to a picnic table breakfast with 6 great kids and DH, of cold left over chicken, granola and grapes.:hippie:

The week science Saturday night has been a drenching, heavy-dumping series of flooding rain, alternated with normal rain, most days have had a few built-in breather hours with low hanging clouds but nothing coming down.

If you have that sense of adventure and are willing to put up with a certain bit of uncomfortable-ness, it has been 'awesome' here. Oh, but I feel for those who were wringing tents out before smashing everything in the back of hatchbacks and minivans...especially first-time campers with young ones. In the middle of some of our WDW weather the last week, Ft. W certainly may not have seemed the 'place where dreams come true'.

But we have had a great week, exploring more of the campground, enjoying the pools and slide, the games and crafts, the boat, bus, (yes, my kids sang). I was slushing along the loop from the comfort station late, watching some brave dad just finish setting up his family tent by headlights. I remembered the first time my husband and I, in college, checking out Disney as a possible career direction, flew over and pitched a tent for the first time at FW, in an overnight rainstorm, two different folks came out of the 'bush' and helped us set up... And with some good advice, disappeared when done.

We all decided the trick of it is sticking it through, if you can , - it helps to have older kids, or young kids with mature attitudes at least, until it gets 'good again'. Because it will. And through it all, it's the cast members who are smiling, cheery, steady and buoy you up with a feeling of security.

Today has been the first 'wake up to clear' day. Beautiful. Took a quiet walk with the turkey's and the early morning fishers and bikers. Little dd finally got her pony ride wish come true... She'll be too tall next year. Dd2 made acquaintance with the grey one legged stork by the bike barn. Because he is injured, he has to haggle for his food rather than fish for it. She boned up on her 'bird talk' and kept catching lizards to offer him. Gulps them in three clanks. She doesn't consider that 'feeding' the wildlife. Keeps putting them in her camera case to save for him.

We just finished a fantastic and gorgeous canoe race. I was paddling with the littlest, and she was a natural. Another great 'working together' pop. ;) Told my oldest girls they ought to take any guys the liked, out canoeing, and race, to test the waters before they commit!

Sounds like you are having fun, readerbug.

That's cute about your two girls - one growing up (no more pony rides in the future) and one old enough to help an animal that needed help.

Raining here now in Bamaland for the first time in a long time too. Hope the rest of your trip is dry(er).

Bama Ed

Thanks for keeping me entertained for a while as we barrel through Alabama on our way to the Fort! Sounds like your family knows how to make the best of things :-)

J., looks like you'll get to enjoy much better weather conditions... Due to be cooler and clearer, much less muggy and 80s instead of our mid 90s! Have a great trip!

Little dd was fishing with oldest dd who has been a dedicated fishing pro since really small. She teaches kids to fish as a small pt time job now. They were on the 1500 loop bridge.
Little dd wanted so bad to impress big sis with her terrific cast that she way overdid it....pink princess kiddy pole went sailing over her head, hot dog bits and all, and SPLASH! :idea::worried:

Oldest dd was quick to begin fishing the pole out with a long stick from a fallen debris pile that was nearby, waiting to be shredded from one of this weeks storms. All of the sudden, a skinny log-like snout rose out of the water and back down, taking the entire pole along. :eek:

:worship: oh, Environmental Powers that be, aka Grandmother Willow and ilk, please forgive us for adding one more piece of junk that needs to be dredged from a place that never should have 'stuff' in it! :worship: And, Little Gator- it was little, under 4 ft, some we met, have since said it commonly suns really early on the canal bank from 300 to 1700- anyway, Mr gator, Please forgive us! And keep that stuff out o' your insides! Tourists are such hazards.

Little dd was still torn up with shame when time for Chip and Dale rolled around, and didn't want to go, for penance.

I'm putting placeholder posts now for the pics I'll add later. Didn't get much opportunity to post, first because of the weather conditions being real hard on wifi and internet conditions this week, and now because DH is back from his conf and we'll be spending the tail end of our trip busy together....to be edited.:happytv:

I was worried a trip without theme park heavy sched would kill my teens joy bug. Instead..... To be continued.

(Sitting in that signature Meadow Trading Post rocker, again, a harmonica going on the sound system and some royal Bang! Bang Bang! Going off to the east. Wrapping up another night at the MK...early, not even 9 yet.)

:laundy: when I get a break from hanging wet towels, wet pool things, wet everythings, I'll describe bits of our second day out and about the WDW but outside the theme parks. I love Ft W. princess: chores!

:cool1: Never gets old...wish I could see it through their eyes! And good bye, Fort Wilderness, Hello Florida gulf coast, and back through Birmingham, or thereabouts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter