Our Experience Using the "Refresh Method"

Status
Not open for further replies.
While refresh is never a guarantee, it generally works best day of and if you start at around 9 or 10, getting pretty much anything is easy. The prime window day of seems to be 9-3..After 3 its a bit dicier but possible up until about 6 depending on how late the parks are open. I tend to find the busier the park, the easier it is to get FPs because percentage wise, the amount of people who understand how to use FP is incrementally smaller. For instance, Christmas day in MK was so easy to get FPs for ANYTHING including Space, Splash, BTMRR, and even 7DMT popped up several times. We were walking from BTMRR towards liberty square and just to test it saw the massive line of people for HM getting into line and it was backed up past the ferry dock. On the walk from BTMRR I pulled a HM for 5 minutes later. We tested this on HM, Space, BTMRR, JC, POC, buzz, and Pan. On each occasion as people were getting in long stand by lines, FPs were popping up all over. That tells me that the majority, which is good for those of us who know how to use the system, have no clue. They either think they cant move their FPs, change them, or get more after their 3rd one. Then in January when it was slower but still somewhat busy during the arts festival, we were at BDW and on the walk to studios at 930 pulled TSM, RNRC, and TOT. Then after moving all of those up each short line wait or walk to the next attraction, we pulled slinky dog. On the way back to BDW we pulled a TT for epcot early afternoon and then from there on the bus to AKL to eat at Jiko I pulled a FoP for that evening just before the after hours started. Since we started using refresh early last year, we have stopped worrying about FPs. We can ride whatever we want and just learn to move times and if somethign isnt available that day, it likely will the next. Rope drop at AK is pretty much all we do early morning and between that and After Hours, Some EMH now and then, we dont plan a thing now. Refresh allows us flexibility because the majority of the crowd has no idea how to use it. We wake up, get coffee, look at the parks and see where we can pull FPs and head there. Thats over the course of 7 trips in one year so at least for us, we know it works.

I can't believe on my trip I'll be able to get fastpasses for SM and Splash like nothing! Basically just keep switching between the times and eventually something good will come up!

Keep your expectations in check! Just dont want you to get there and be totally bummed you can't get a FP. We could never get headliners and I refreshed like crazy. But I was able to get plenty of others.

How does the refresh method work with Club Level Fp's? My regular FP are scheduled first and then my CL start. Can I make a 4th regular one while still holding CL fasspasses?

My experience at MK on Tuesday feb 26

Rode stand by at rope drop Pirates, Jungle and carpets from 9-10. Did BTMR FP rider swap from 10-10:30ish.

Stopped for a snack and did FP for PP at 11:15. Did not have success moving it up earlier. Went right to 5 min wait for PhilHarmagic. Had lunch and rode tea cups while waiting for FP at 1:15 for 7D. Did not have success moving it forward earlier.

Got 4th for dumbo. Got 5th for IASW. Got 6th for haunted mansion.

Left for Epcot and got 7th for Soarin after dinner reservations at 8.

MK on Friday 3/1 easily moved our 3rd FP later and later as we got distracted by lunch and then the parade and then by Tom Sawyer island. Got a 4th FP for tinker bell and then 5th for Buzz that was too late in the day for fireworks but took it and it only took a few tries to move it earlier and then earlier again to a time we needed.

We never searched for more at HS or AK. At Epcot we snagged extras for mission space orange and also for TT. We did everything else at Epcot with no wait on standby one night at Epcot when it rained and the crowds cleared out and during the day with FP.

The only line we waited in all week was for Elsa and Ana. But my kids are young and didn’t need to ride the mountains more than once. And they weren’t interested in waiting on lines for characters.

How does the refresh method work with Club Level Fp's? My regular FP are scheduled first and then my CL start. Can I make a 4th regular one while still holding CL fasspasses?

You can make #4 as soon as you use your 3 regular ones, they just can't overlap with a CL FP time window. It can be before or after.

Does the refresh process work well with 3 people or is better to split up between 2 and 1?

We went the first week of March and the refresh method generally worked great. Yes, I did spend too much time on my phone hitting that modify button, but it really paid off and most of the time it didn't take very long to get FPs. We were able to get most things we wanted even some of the headliners. One interesting thing that happened one day in DHS at about noon - we had just entered the standby line at Star Tours and I was hitting the button trying to get a FP for that ride so we wouldn't have to stand in line. Suddenly FPs came open for literally every ride in the park (including SDD, TSM, TOT, RNRC etc) all between 1 - 2 hours from that time. I couldn't believe it! No idea how or why that happened. Of course we had planned on leaving the park and my kids were tired and didn't want to wait the 2 hours until the TSM or SDD ones, so we grabbed the TOT one which was for like 30 minutes later. We thought we were going on TSM the next morning for EMM but it ended up being closed the whole time so I was kicking myself about that decision (we never did get to ride it)!

Will be doing evening touring this trip. FP will be scheduled for let’s say 4,5,6. Any chance of refresh working decent after six? In June? Just wondering if anyone has been able to get Pirates, HM, Pooh etc. I will try to get the mountains for our first three.

Will be doing evening touring this trip. FP will be scheduled for let’s say 4,5,6. Any chance of refresh working decent after six? In June? Just wondering if anyone has been able to get Pirates, HM, Pooh etc. I will try to get the mountains for our first three.
I would think at MK you would be fine. It is by far the easiest to refresh in because their are so many choices. We had no problem getting Pirates, and HM. Just keep pushing that button!

You should be ok for those attractions. Just don't be fooled by the message that FP distribution is done for the day. It just means that at that moment in time nothing came up as available. Keep refreshing.

My problem has been that after I scanned at my 3d fp check in and then refreshed, it still showed the 3d fp as current/still there. So couldnt start looking for a 4th.

I find that it works day of best for the non headliners. I have used it before and never been able to secure one for FOP, SDD, or SDMT. Of course it was never a big deal because we usually already had used a FP that we booked 60 days out for the headliners. Not sure if that plays any role in it at all. In otherwords is there some code in MDE that says hey, this guy already rode a headliner so we are not going to give him another shot because he already got on that ride. I know someone will pipe in and say I did it! Or I have done it multiple times! Okay fine, I have not.

A Facebook group associated with the "Refresh" process is going through their discovery phase as some folks on here are. They however have somewhat more appropriatley named the practice "Pound the App". It is what we refer to here as the refresh method. Someone not familiar with the process asked about it and my response was not taken to well. I mean I use it, and have and will continue to use it, but let's face it, the practice is what it is. My description was thus: Basically it is the equivilent of a petulant 6 year old sitting in the back seat saying over and over "are we there yet?". It is a process of asking for a FP, being told "NO" and reasking the question right away by changing the time and asking again. I sometimes think to myself as I use the process that I should be stomping my feet and holding my breath to somehow force the "Parent" (Disney's MDE) to give in to my request.

In our many trips to WDW since 1989 we have had to adapt to the many changes that Disney has thrown at us. Some good, some bad, I tend to try and not get upset with the changes but rather understand them and adhere to them and try and gain whatever advantage I can through their use. This is just another in a long line of changes that you deal with or stop going. Since we paln on continuing our trips we deal with it and move on.

While refresh is never a guarantee, it generally works best day of and if you start at around 9 or 10, getting pretty much anything is easy. The prime window day of seems to be 9-3..After 3 its a bit dicier but possible up until about 6 depending on how late the parks are open. I tend to find the busier the park, the easier it is to get FPs because percentage wise, the amount of people who understand how to use FP is incrementally smaller. For instance, Christmas day in MK was so easy to get FPs for ANYTHING including Space, Splash, BTMRR, and even 7DMT popped up several times. We were walking from BTMRR towards liberty square and just to test it saw the massive line of people for HM getting into line and it was backed up past the ferry dock. On the walk from BTMRR I pulled a HM for 5 minutes later. We tested this on HM, Space, BTMRR, JC, POC, buzz, and Pan. On each occasion as people were getting in long stand by lines, FPs were popping up all over. That tells me that the majority, which is good for those of us who know how to use the system, have no clue. They either think they cant move their FPs, change them, or get more after their 3rd one. Then in January when it was slower but still somewhat busy during the arts festival, we were at BDW and on the walk to studios at 930 pulled TSM, RNRC, and TOT. Then after moving all of those up each short line wait or walk to the next attraction, we pulled slinky dog. On the way back to BDW we pulled a TT for epcot early afternoon and then from there on the bus to AKL to eat at Jiko I pulled a FoP for that evening just before the after hours started. Since we started using refresh early last year, we have stopped worrying about FPs. We can ride whatever we want and just learn to move times and if somethign isnt available that day, it likely will the next. Rope drop at AK is pretty much all we do early morning and between that and After Hours, Some EMH now and then, we dont plan a thing now. Refresh allows us flexibility because the majority of the crowd has no idea how to use it. We wake up, get coffee, look at the parks and see where we can pull FPs and head there. Thats over the course of 7 trips in one year so at least for us, we know it works.

What I don't understand is it seems like someone would have to actively "cancel or modify" the FP for it to show up. Essentially, I would think anyone plugged in (and thoughtful enough) to log in to modify or cancel, would also understand the value of grabbing them, so fewer people "in the know" would also mean fewer people modifying or dropping existing FP+.

I find that it works day of best for the non headliners. I have used it before and never been able to secure one for FOP, SDD, or SDMT. Of course it was never a big deal because we usually already had used a FP that we booked 60 days out for the headliners. Not sure if that plays any role in it at all. In otherwords is there some code in MDE that says hey, this guy already rode a headliner so we are not going to give him another shot because he already got on that ride. I know someone will pipe in and say I did it! Or I have done it multiple times! Okay fine, I have not.

In my experience, there is no limit on pulling top-tier FPs (e.g., FOP).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter