Our First, Last and only visit to Universal...yuck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
djm99 said:
We are really saying the same thing. I agree that people SHOULD NOT be judged by their dress - but in "THE REAL WORLD" they are. Does it make it right - ABSOLUTELY NOT - but nonetheless a reality? If you saw a women in a nurses uniform you’d assume she was a nurse, if you saw a guy/women in a police uniform – wouldn’t you assume they were a police officer, if you saw a guy/girl in a firefighters uniform on – wouldn’t you assume they were firemen – the list can go on and on. All I am saying is that young people feel they have to "be you" - or "keep it real" - when they really don't understand reality. They unfortunately haven't lived long enough – and trust me – I understand youngsters – I work with them daily!!!!! They (young people) can still be themselves - but it is a time and place to be "you". I personally think that what you do in the privacy of your own home is your business - and if dressing like a "gangster" (as said by the OP) in a theme park is comfortable for you - "be you" but understand that people are watching you and "judging" you (regardless if their perception is true or not). AGAIN - IS IT CORRECT TO JUDGE OTHERS, - ABSOLUTELY NOT - BUT NONETHELESS A REALITY!!! - THIS IS TAUGHT IN EVERY LIFE SKILLS class across America. How much respect would I receive as a teacher if a parent came to school and found me in Night Club clothes – I have to dress the part as a teacher daily.

Exactly, I completely agree. But what I'm saying is that we're talking about a theme park, not a business situation. People should be able to dress however they want, and if it bothers other people, then tough. The lines will be shorter without them, anyway ;)

Wow! I can not believe there is 19 pages now on this thread. I just ran across this thread in preparing for our trip in Sept. My husband and I first visited IOA and US back in 2001 while I was 6mo pregnant with our first baby. He had a blast walking right on every ride during the middle of July! I enjoyed walking around and just enjoying the sites. Even though I couldn't ride anything I still enjoyed myself and had fun. I think that is the point....We had fun!....its all what you make of it....no matter where you are...at a Disney Park, IOA or even our tiny local Wild Waves/Enchanted Village parks up here in WA state:)

Can't wait to visit in Sept....this time I can ride everything!!!! :banana:

djm99 said:
We are really saying the same thing. I agree that people SHOULD NOT be judged by their dress - but in "THE REAL WORLD" they are. Does it make it right - ABSOLUTELY NOT - but nonetheless a reality? If you saw a women in a nurses uniform you’d assume she was a nurse, if you saw a guy/women in a police uniform – wouldn’t you assume they were a police officer, if you saw a guy/girl in a firefighters uniform on – wouldn’t you assume they were firemen – the list can go on and on. All I am saying is that young people feel they have to "be you" - or "keep it real" - when they really don't understand reality. They unfortunately haven't lived long enough – and trust me – I understand youngsters – I work with them daily!!!!! They (young people) can still be themselves - but it is a time and place to be "you". I personally think that what you do in the privacy of your own home is your business - and if dressing like a "gangster" (as said by the OP) in a theme park is comfortable for you - "be you" but understand that people are watching you and "judging" you (regardless if their perception is true or not). AGAIN - IS IT CORRECT TO JUDGE OTHERS, - ABSOLUTELY NOT - BUT NONETHELESS A REALITY!!! - THIS IS TAUGHT IN EVERY LIFE SKILLS class across America. How much respect would I receive as a teacher if a parent came to school and found me in Night Club clothes – I have to dress the part as a teacher daily.

Absolutely! I had a student complain about how some guy was treating her, etc. Well, she was wearing a mini skirt (the ones that look like dust ruffles?) and a t shirt that said "good *abbrev. for French Connection U.K.*" No guy should treat her that way, but her style of dress sends certain messages.

As a teacher, I don't dress like the "me" I am at home, I dress like the "Ms. X." I am in class. If I wore pink Hawaiian print flip flops and a Cinderella sweatshirt to work, the students would never respect me no matter how great a teacher I am. If I dressed to express who I feel I am, I'd wear a tiara every day- in the grocery store, in the mall, at the gym, everywhere. Do you think the world would accept that? I would be committed in a week!

babieemelly said:
Right, but you could wear a Cinderella sweatshirt in a theme park.

Yes you can wear a Cinderella sweatshirt w/ a tiara - True - but people will laugh, make jokes and yes (judge) - "she thinks she's cute"

Just to set the rcord straight, there are plenty of people on this site who make unfair, mean and untrue remarks about Disney and their fans as well...It goes both ways.

These Parks shouldn't be compared. They should be judged on their own merit. What does each offer or not offer you. If riding "thrills" like Hulk and DD successively is your desire of the day, then certainly Disney Parks or Universal shouldn't be your choice for the day, go to IOA, have fun. If you've got little kids who really want to see animals then AK or Sea World would be your best bet. It's all about choices. Heavens, I wouldn't want the Parks to all be generic! No park will fit the bill for everybody, but I'm happy they all give me choices.

As to the clientele issue. The clothes of the young or the 'hanging out' don't bother me but I do laugh a lot at many of them, to which I sincererly hope they don't in turn get offended (sorry, but baggy jeans held up, somehow, below the groin area is just too funny not to laugh at...Have you seen them try to run!!! LOL!!!). My biggest problem with the "different clientele" of Universal is the language that comes with their attitude projection. Lots of people are there with little ones and I get very saddened when I hear the f bomb and other colorful language thrown about loudly in groups with no concern for others feelings. It isn't that I'm personally offended as I think language is a great guage to intelligence and it's easy to decifer the likely future of a clown who can't express him/herself without an explitive as every other word (except Colin Ferrell, obviously). Again, don't change your dress or speech patterns for other folk, by all means be an "individual," if that's what following a crowd means today, but try to be at least a little courteous to other people you're sharing your time on earth with.
pirate:

djm99 said:
Yes you can wear a Cinderella sweatshirt w/ a tiara - True - but people will laugh, make jokes and yes (judge) - "she thinks she's cute"

But I thought that's what Disney's all about, being a kid again and getting to wear a tiara. People can come to the Universal boards and say that people were dressed like "gangsters" and it's fine, but if you go to the Disney board say you saw a 30-year old running around in a tiara and she looked ridiculous, everyone would say it's part of the magic :confused3

And I'm sorry, but do you really think people don't curse at Disney?! We saw a lot of teens running around cursing each other out with kids around. I completely agree that you should watch what you say when you're around other people just out of common courtesy, but to think that only people at one theme park curse is that craziest thing I've ever heard. Right up there with the alcohol thing.

But whatever, I'm going away for the week with some friends so I'm done with this thread :thumbsup2

Who EVER said nobody curses at WDW? Weren't we talking about Universal??? This type of behavior is simply more evident at a park that caters to teens and young adults than a park that makes it bread and butter on fairy tales and being forever young...Sorry you can't seem to grasp that. pirate:

babieemelly said:
But whatever, I'm going away for the week with some friends so I'm done with this thread :thumbsup2

Thank You for reading - hope you have fun - and I hope you learned something. Keep living and remember djm99 a few years from now!!! You will have this conversation many more times in your life.

djm99 said:
Thank You for reading - hope you have fun - and I hope you learned something. Keep living and remember djm99 a few years from now!!! You will have this conversation many more times in your life.

Thanks for all the insight :thumbsup2 I did love reading your opinions, so thanks for sharing! And your daughter is absolutey adorable :goodvibes

This has been an interesting thread,
Ive only been to universal studios one time and we didnt go to IOA.
Im a disney person but felt that I should venture out and explore more of Orlando. I enjoyed my day at universal of course we were running around like chickens with our heads cut off, arriving at 11am when they were closing at 6pm makes it hard to relax so unlike our lazy days at disney we ran from each ride, the lines were really long especially for twister, I didnt really care for that one but loved MIB and back to the future both of which I felt were much better than disneys comparable rides,
While we were there creed was filming their video so that was cool.
I didnt find anything I liked at the gift shops though.
I did find some of the people who worked there rude though, like at 5:55 there was a family sitting down eating there ice cream and they got yelled at because the park was closed.But there are rude cms at disney too, like the day I got yelled at for TALKING to the birds :rotfl2:

Im in no hurry to go back to universal but im glad I at least wen there once.

IwasatWDWforamonth said:
But there are rude cms at disney too, like the day I got yelled at for TALKING to the birds :rotfl2:

You're not worng. I got a dressing down of one of the attendants at the petting zoo at AK for removing a peice of straw which was on a goats head. She accused me of feeding the goat and said I would be encouraging future attacks by goats on people due to my actions. She wouldn't take an explanation for an answer.

Peter Pirate 2 said:
Just to set the rcord straight, there are plenty of people on this site who make unfair, mean and untrue remarks about Disney and their fans as well...It goes both ways.
Go ahead and find a specific instance of a Universal forum regular trolling over to the Theme Parks forum just to flame something about Disney. You'll be searching for a very long time. But it seems to be fair game over here :rolleyes: There may be people on the Community Board who've made negative comments but it'd be within the context of a "Has this ever happened to you at WDW" type thread. It's completely different. So, NO, it doesn't work both ways.

No thanks...

Keep your blinders on Figgy, that's OK. ;) Think what you want to think but it happens both ways and if you want to read through these threads to find examples they're here...If you don't, OK by me ... Disney has its whacko supporters and so does Universal. Both are ridiculous as I've said. It's in our (the guests) best interest for the competetion to be stiff. It means better Parks and that's all I care aboutbe it USF, WDW, Sea World...Whatever... :banana:
pirate:

So it is OK for a poster, who after saying don't flame him, makes inflamatory statements about Universal and accusations that can only be answered by what has occurred in this thread. You will not find a thread in the Disney Resort Board the likes of this one. I totally agree it does not exist. I have just returned from a trip to the mouse and I can say the same thing about Disney that I will never set foot in one of their hotels again- but or course I digress. Have to return to OP who made the following accusations about Universal:

My comments are in bold - original posters statements are not. If you dont get it perhaps re-read first post in this thread.

1)OK, where to begin...Well, after reading about the Kids free + 3 extra days deal, ...<snip.>. For $200 for all 4 of us for 5 days seemed like a no brainer, so I went for it. We planned 2 whole days, one for each park...turns out, only 1/2 day was needed.
Two adult and Two child 5 day tickets at the mouse in disney dollars would cost you $722 - so $200 was a savings of $522 or 72% less. Planned two days even though he bought five days. Bad planning

2)the rides were way spread out and WAY overloaded lines -
I keep forgetting that you can get right on the rides at the mouse (its a joke cause you cant)- You still have to wait and the parks are miles apart and rides are spread out. Miles vs feet between parks? Which is worse? Hmmmmm - Oh yeah FASTPASS sucks vs FOTL.

3)Spiderman was singlehandeldy the most expensive ride we've ever ridden, it cost $200 (it was the only ride we rode)
Poor planning but it was your choice - sorry, you should have asked here first

4)the kids there (and completely unattentive parents) were completely out of control, rude, dirty and unpleasant.
Have you even been to disney? Everyone there is rude, nasty, pushes past you to get to the line etc- Is it the pixie dust or the Philharmonic 3D glasses?

5)The shops had almost NO ONE in them which indicated to me the level of quality overall of the park and it's merchandise.
Shaking my head at the stupidity of this statement

6)Then I saw younger guests drinking alcohol. I think that reason may have been the one that pushed me over the edge. I firmly believe that alcohol should not be served at a theme park where children abound.
Doubt if younger guests were drinking. Seriously do not believe it. But i DID see same thing at downtown disney. Get off your high horse already

7)Saved best for last
I am going to try to describe the guests (of Citywalk) as diplomatically as I can. Let's just say that I felt like I had walked into east LA-
I find that statement to be racist, imflamatory and completely incorrect and off-base. I have been to CityWalk many many times and have never felt that way. It just is not true. And yet he asks for us to not flame him. What? After that statement.

My recent trip to Disney just confirmed that I am not disney brain washed as apparantly many are. I totally did not like the new Disney Marketplace. liked the old one better. Distance between parks is extensive. It took us about 45 minutes to get anywhere but the best is the gift shops. Its all frickin disney stuff and very expensive. $24 Tee shirts? The closest store is a distant drive unlike Universal where Kirkman and/or International Dr areas are very close.

Bobb-O said:
So it is OK for a poster, who after saying don't flame him, makes inflamatory statements about Universal and accusations that can only be answered by what has occurred in this thread. You will not find a thread in the Disney Resort Board the likes of this one. I totally agree it does not exist. I have just returned from a trip to the mouse and I can say the same thing about Disney that I will never set foot in one of their hotels again- but or course I digress. Have to return to OP who made the following accusations about Universal:

1)OK, where to begin...Well, after reading about the Kids free + 3 extra days deal, ...<snip.>. For $200 for all 4 of us for 5 days seemed like a no brainer, so I went for it. We planned 2 whole days, one for each park...turns out, only 1/2 day was needed.
Two adult and Two child 5 day tickets at the mouse in disney dollars would cost you $722 - so $200 was a savings of $522 or 72% less. Planned two days even though he bought five days. Bad planning

I keep forgetting that you can get right on the rides at the mouse (its a joke cause you cant)- You still have to wait and the parks are miles apart and rides are spread out. Miles vs feet between parks? Which is worse? Hmmmmm - Oh yeah FASTPASS sucks vs FOTL.

3)Spiderman was singlehandeldy the most expensive ride we've ever ridden, it cost $200 (it was the only ride we rode)

4)the kids there (and completely unattentive parents) were completely out of control, rude, dirty and unpleasant.
Have you even been to disney? Everyone there is rude, nasty, pushes past you to get to the line etc- Is it the pixie dust or the Philharmonic 3D glasses?

5)The shops had almost NO ONE in them which indicated to me the level of quality overall of the park and it's merchandise.

6)Then I saw younger guests drinking alcohol. I think that reason may have been the one that pushed me over the edge. I firmly believe that alcohol should not be served at a theme park where children abound.
Doubt if younger guests were drinking. Seriously do not believe it. But i DID see same thing at downtown disney. Get off your high horse already

7)Saved best for last
I am going to try to describe the guests (of Citywalk) as diplomatically as I can. Let's just say that I felt like I had walked into east LA-
I find that statement to be racist, imflamatory and completely incorrect and off-base. I have been to CityWalk many many times and have never felt that way. It just is not true. And yet he asks for us to not flame him. What? After that statement.

My recent trip to Disney just confirmed that I am not disney brain washed as apparantly many are. I totally did not like the new Disney Marketplace. liked the old one better. Distance between parks is extensive. It took us about 45 minutes to get anywhere but the best is the gift shops. Its all frickin disney stuff and very expensive. $24 Tee shirts? The closest store is a distant drive unlike Universal where Kirkman and/or International Dr areas are very close.

Wow. This takes an eye for an eye to a new level. :sad2:

Bobb-O said:

7)Saved best for last

oh come on Universal isn't THAT bad. There are some rides (and shows) that kids would go on at Islands of Adventure. Spiderman was one of the best rides at Universal and is definitely worth the wait. Also, the part about citywalk like east L.A. is racist and i think you shouldn't be on this board if you don't like people from other cultures. I DO NOT LIKE RACIST PEOPLE! that's all i have to say. I like disney better than Universal, but i have seen more people drink alcohol at Epcot than USF, IOA, and citywalk combined.

disneyfreek1 said:
oh come on Universal isn't THAT bad. There are some rides (and shows) that kids would go on at Islands of Adventure. Spiderman was one of the best rides at Universal and is definitely worth the wait. Also, the part about citywalk like east L.A. is racist and i think you shouldn't be on this board if you don't like people from other cultures. I DO NOT LIKE RACIST PEOPLE! that's all i have to say. I like disney better than Universal, but i have seen more people drink alcohol at Epcot than USF, IOA, and citywalk combined.

Umm thats what I said - bold was my answer. Least we agree. I feel better. I didnt make OP and def came in late, this thread has deteriorated.

Bobb-O said:
7)Saved best for last

And if you think the guests are bad you should get a load of the entertainment technicians!!! :rotfl2: (And the old grey haired reprobate running the lights at the groove and Plaza Stage is me and I grew up in LA...which may be the problem, now that I think of it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter