Our little thread of BIG Resort Changes~2013 Spring RC installment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should say that although I edited professionally, and still do on occassion, I am AWFUL at proofreading my posts! Too fast of a typer!

So my August trip...

My husband is doing a lot of travel this summer. I thought it would be nice for my daughter and I to go to WDW while he is in Brazil...and coincidentially on our 14th wedding anniversary! So I am looking at 3 nights, just a quick trip. I'm torn between Dolphin (walk to Epcot! Boardwalk right there!) and a value (mostly money savings, although I get a kick out of the huge themed items).

Thoughts?

I should say that although I edited professionally, and still do on occassion, I am AWFUL at proofreading my posts! Too fast of a typer!

So my August trip...

My husband is doing a lot of travel this summer. I thought it would be nice for my daughter and I to go to WDW while he is in Brazil...and coincidentially on our 14th wedding anniversary! So I am looking at 3 nights, just a quick trip. I'm torn between Dolphin (walk to Epcot! Boardwalk right there!) and a value (mostly money savings, although I get a kick out of the huge themed items).

Thoughts?

Hmmmmm .... for me summer would be all about the pool and the age of the child. Do you need/want zero entry, slide, what theme???? :beach:

Hmmmmm .... for me summer would be all about the pool and the age of the child. Do you need/want zero entry, slide, what theme???? :beach:

Good questions!!! Emily will be 9 and she is a swimmer. She swims twice a week now, and she will swim 6 days a week on swim team this summer. She swims in the ocean (we are about 10 mins from the beach), she swims in Y pools, she would swim in the tub if she could! So I don't need anything special for her but a pool and lifeguard. I personally appreciate a nice pool but she can and will swim in any body of water.

I want to keep it lower cost, so while Dolhin is on for loacation, deluxes are out...but maybe I should look at value and mod pools and see what is nicest? Or most appealling.

Good questions!!! Emily will be 9 and she is a swimmer. She swims twice a week now, and she will swim 6 days a week on swim team this summer. She swims in the ocean (we are about 10 mins from the beach), she swims in Y pools, she would swim in the tub if she could! So I don't need anything special for her but a pool and lifeguard. I personally appreciate a nice pool but she can and will swim in any body of water.

I want to keep it lower cost, so while Dolhin is on for loacation, deluxes are out...but maybe I should look at value and mod pools and see what is nicest? Or most appealling.

POP sounds like a fun place to be for a mommy/DD trip! :thumbsup2

Have you stayed at the Dolphin before? I walked in once (I think it was this past January?) and we just about got run over by a HUGE group of conventioners. We turned around and walked right back out. It put me right off of ever staying there. Maybe I just had really bad timing but it felt very adult and not kid friendly. :confused3 I'm sure it's different if you are staying there, but I just got a bad vibe.

Just a heads up...until they fix it, online dining reservations seem to be pretty messed up today. You select a booking time, the computer spits out a confirmation time that is different than what you selected. Ugh.
Ex: I wanted Jiko at 6:15pm, I received a confirmation that states I have Jiko at 2:15pm...which, of course, is impossible. :rolleyes1

And, ok ladies....convince me that I don't neeeeeed CL to enjoy my trip. Go ahead, convince me.......

I'm a CL addict and need to break this habit!!! :lmao:

Oh, and Alysa - welcome!!! Do I remember you popping in to my PTR some time ago??? Congrats on the bambino!! :cool1:
Well, we love CL, have stayed CL at BC & AKL and it is an indulgence I love, but I can go without too. Because we tend to have long stays, like 12-14 days, I do 6 days CL, and 6 in a regular room.
But this trip, we are just staying in the same room for 12 nights at YC.
We will be in Florida 10 days before heading up to Disney, so I'll just do some shopping for breakfast stuff, and drinks (adult lol).
If I fly directly into MCO, it's easy to throw a couple of bags of bagels, instant oatmeal, etc into the suitcases.

Hey girls! I know I've been MIA, sorry! DD2 has been sick and DS8 and DS7 have decided that the other is just the worst person in the world lately :headache: Ah! Summer vacation :sad2: I've been trying to read along when I can :)

I see a lot of new faces. ::wave2::

Miss - The pix are AMAZING. I am in love with AKL! :love:

Sue -Sorry for the set back with your leg. Take it easy, ok? :hug:

Heather - Hope you are enjoying Cancun. Your view is awesome!

Jenny - BC w/o CL sounds like a good compromise. While I am a total CL addict, I think the easiest place for me to drop it would be at YC/BC. :goodvibes

Hi to Wookie, Janet, pas, GG, lacey, Melissa, Sheila, and everybody else!

A bit of news here. I got bitten by the AP bug again thanks to the rocking airfare drop and loads of SW Rapid Rewards to burn.:rolleyes1 I just could not say no to a grand total of $68 for all 6 of us to fly nonstop. :cheer2:

So...... airfare is booked for 10/24-10/28 for our first F&W trip! :yay: We will probably end up at POR because Deluxe this trip is so not in the budget. :crazy2:

Of course, I could make some changes to August to free up some money... :scratchin

Have a great day all, my little sicky is calling for me again. Poor thing. :sick:
Thanks! Going to lay low today. Besides its raining out, so not too motivated to get out!!!;)
Awsome air fare :thumbsup2 we love POR! Really, the only thing I miss there is a balcony.

Jen - thank you. :goodvibes

Loved you husband's pics and the story! Also, the girls and the dolls - I find it so sweet when little girls play like that. My DD is 8, turning 9 this summer, and her GS troop just went to the AG store. Their cookie sales paid for lunch for each girl and mom and $10 for them to spend. They had a blast and seeing them all carry their dolls around and play on the train was so cute. They are going to get older so fast - I'm just happy we could do this now.

I second, or third, the late August/September trip. Love those times. Wish I could still go in September! Well, that will change in 9 short years!!!

Every single time I go to Costco for a big shop, it rains. Pours. Every time. I have never done a quick trip there!

Those were amazing pics!!!

I love BWV. I've stayed at BWI once and the villas once. The time I stayed at the villas, the main pool was being renovated, so the scary clown couldn't get me. The quiet pool was close, and nice, and I loved it.

I am thinking of a trip this August! That's my next planning obsession.

Hi SeptemberGirl. Just wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss. I just loss my mum/best friend to cancer too and it is hard to keep it together some days (seems like every day).
:hug:
QUOTE]

Thank you. I'm so sorry for your loss, too. I hate that this is something so many people share. I love being able to say to someone, hey did you feel this, too? But I wouldn't wish it on anyone. :hug:

So my August trip...

Thoughts?
My vote is Dolphin!! Love the Epcot area!

POP sounds like a fun place to be for a mommy/DD trip! :thumbsup2

Have you stayed at the Dolphin before? I walked in once (I think it was this past January?) and we just about got run over by a HUGE group of conventioners. We turned around and walked right back out. It put me right off of ever staying there. Maybe I just had really bad timing but it felt very adult and not kid friendly. :confused3 I'm sure it's different if you are staying there, but I just got a bad vibe.

POP would be really fun! We stayed there once and liked it!!! I think she would like Movies, too - although I wonder about crowds and buses in August.

I stayed at Dolphin about 2 years ago. This was in Feb and it was just very peaceful and lush and I adore that Epcot resort area. It probably wasn't a convention week. I shuold check that asap!!!

Other things I loved about it - it felt like a nice hotel to me, if that make sense. Hotels are like a happy surprise. I literally clap my hands when I walk into a hotel room. Like, yay, I get to stay here! Pretty! I loved that the coffee was Starbucks, I loved the bed, and my BFF just stayed there last week with her 4 yr old - so I have hotel envy. TOTALLY.

But I do love ME and the theming at other resorts. ME beats Mears any day, that's for sure. But does ME beat walking into Epcot? Hmm...I need a spreadsheet!

Just a heads up...until they fix it, online dining reservations seem to be pretty messed up today. You select a booking time, the computer spits out a confirmation time that is different than what you selected. Ugh.
Ex: I wanted Jiko at 6:15pm, I received a confirmation that states I have Jiko at 2:15pm...which, of course, is impossible. :rolleyes1

Ugh. And the resort reservation system is completely down. I NEED to book something.... so I can change it! :rotfl:

Thanks! Going to lay low today. Besides its raining out, so not too motivated to get out!!!;)
Awsome air fare :thumbsup2 we love POR! Really, the only thing I miss there is a balcony.

Sounds like a good plan! :thumbsup2 Rainy afternoons make me want to nap. My kids don't agree. :confused3:headache:

Okay here's my mod pool review .....

CBR: I love the music at the pool! In fact I've been known to visit there and just sit in the bar area, have a drink, listen to music and watch the families play.

CSR: Great pool ... the largest of the mod pools. My only problem is that it is far away from the QS for food but I think there is food from the bar.

POFQ: Cute pool for little kids but I think your DD is too old and too much of a swimmer for this one.

POR: This is my favorite mod pool ... maybe because it was the first resort I ever stayed at so it holds a special spot in my heart. I really like the theme. There is a lot of shade for those hot afternoons. Love the walk to the QS food. Janet and I stayed here in Jan and we didn't use the pool but really enjoyed the resort.

Let us know what you decide. :goodvibes

POP would be really fun! We stayed there once and liked it!!! I think she would like Movies, too - although I wonder about crowds and buses in August.

I stayed at Dolphin about 2 years ago. This was in Feb and it was just very peaceful and lush and I adore that Epcot resort area. It probably wasn't a convention week. I shuold check that asap!!!

Other things I loved about it - it felt like a nice hotel to me, if that make sense. Hotels are like a happy surprise. I literally clap my hands when I walk into a hotel room. Like, yay, I get to stay here! Pretty! I loved that the coffee was Starbucks, I loved the bed, and my BFF just stayed there last week with her 4 yr old - so I have hotel envy. TOTALLY.

But I do love ME and the theming at other resorts. ME beats Mears any day, that's for sure. But does ME beat walking into Epcot? Hmm...I need a spreadsheet!

In that case, I vote Dolphin. Walking to Epcot trumps just about everything for us! :cloud9: Love me some World Showcase.

I love all hotels (and most motels) too. Heck, I get excited when we visit family and stay at a Residence Inn or the like. :lmao:

Great .... just when I was planning to book some ADRs for my Sept trip I haven't booked yet. :rotfl2: Waiting to hear from DD about school/job/move before I call DS to confirm that the wedding won't be in Sept!!! :rotfl: Then I have to call DVC member services, cancel all my existing Oct/Nov reservations and see what I can get for Sept. :sad2: Oh and of course cancel all my ADRs for Oct/Sept! :sick:

Thanks!!! Where in NJ? I am from Mon County. My BFF lives in Point Pleasant.
Hi. I am from Ocean County (T.R.). I worked in advertising as an art director in NJ. Did you proofread for me ever??:idea: ... Thoughts on your trip: We did Swan a couple years ago and were VERY underwhelmed except for location. If it weren't for your August dates I would recommend the Value resorts for you and your DD. They are all so cute. BUT... no shade at the Values pool areas makes me recommend a Moderate for August. How about a Alligator Bayou room or a Princess room POR?????? :)

Liz, I am Jeanette, one out of 6 of my kiddos is a RCers...also known as HRH (Her Royal Highness) You will see her here summertime, she loves the "stickers". We lost a precious DISer in December JungleCruiser, Sarah was also from NJ, I am near Rutgers. She was closer to Morristown, she engaged with HRH and they both LOVE GF, Sarah would sent postcards from GF...okay I am off topic, but we really are a family here. We are blessed to find a new RCer! All the new RCers are so sweet, I love it!!! We will get you through school, work, planning, all of it. I am doing my Master's online. I've got a bit to go, I am bridging to my MSN, while finishing up my BSN. I've been a nurse since 1997...it's time I move up in the world.
You should have started out something like this... MY NAME IS JEANNETTE AND I AM THE BIGGEST RESORT CHANGER EVER. Welcome Jeannette. OOOh, and Poly CL, eh??? :lmao: Surprise! :rotfl2:

Soooooo, does anyone know anything interesting about Boardwalk Villas? :rolleyes1 :rotfl:
Only that I LOVE that resort!!! :cheer2: I've loved your AKL pics. Hope it has been a awesome vacation. Do it up big for your last day!!

Another possible change: I'm thinking about canceling our Oct/Nov trip ... that way I don't have to worry about what the wedding dates are. And then booking a trip for Aug/Sept. I know it will be a lot hotter but probably less crowds. DD and I do love our pool time. :beach: I checked the DVC member site and I could still get AKV and OKW which are the resorts I wanted. The other positive is that there would be more time until the Dec Granny trip ..... :confused3 Thoughts? Ideas?????
Sounds like a great idea to move dates. Love the OKW layout with food, store and beach bar right there. :yay: But then again AKL pool area is fantasmically fantastic, too. So pretty and the filtered sunlight rocks August.:cool1: SUCH A GREAT DILEMMA TO HAVE TO DECIDE. :dance3:

John Michael came into my room and wanted to talk about our Disney trip. When I got to the part about staying at the Swan the night before we check into the AKL. He was like, "that's just stupid....I want to stay another night at the Animal Kingdom Lodge." Too bad the DH doesn't agree.
John Michael may be on to something there... If it weren't for money and all that adult stuff. :p

On the 15 hole... Tigers 18 hole is coming up....soooo exciting. Ill email. A pic
That is so cute that DH is excited as we get with WDW. His bunker shot is so cute it's priceless. :goodvibes

Okay here's my mod pool review .....

CBR: I love the music at the pool! In fact I've been known to visit there and just sit in the bar area, have a drink, listen to music and watch the families play.

CSR: Great pool ... the largest of the mod pools. My only problem is that it is far away from the QS for food but I think there is food from the bar.

POFQ: Cute pool for little kids but I think your DD is too old and too much of a swimmer for this one.

POR: This is my favorite mod pool ... maybe because it was the first resort I ever stayed at so it holds a special spot in my heart. I really like the theme. There is a lot of shade for those hot afternoons. Love the walk to the QS food. Janet and I stayed here in Jan and we didn't use the pool but really enjoyed the resort.

Let us know what you decide. :goodvibes

Oooooh thank you! I LOVE reviews - I love to hear what people think! This is why I am a RC - I love to constantly gather info and consider it. What fun is it if you know what you want and never look at anything else???

I am dying to do a resort hopping trip. Just check out a bunch I haven't been to. That will have to be with my girlfriends though. Or my daughter once she is grown!

In that case, I vote Dolphin. Walking to Epcot trumps just about everything for us! :cloud9: Love me some World Showcase.

I love all hotels (and most motels) too. Heck, I get excited when we visit family and stay at a Residence Inn or the like. :lmao:

I get super excited about all those chains - Hilton Garden Inns, Residence, all of them. I even like older resorts. There is one in Illinois, a conference center, hotel - I was over the moon to explore it, and check out all the retro stuff they had. I was the only business traveler who got honestly excited about that stuff. :dance3:

UGH!!! :offtopic:

Well, I may have just spent our CL money anyway....:sad1:

Over lunch, DH and I had a meeting with the Orkin Man....last week I had discovered a mud looking patch on my foundation. At the time, it had a couple of wasps on it, so I thought that maybe it was a wierd wasp nest. My DFIL sprayed it and no wasps came back but little "larvae" looking things came out of it....Well, even after the spray the mud trail continued to expand up the foundation under the siding....:confused:

Well, me being me, I did some research and realized that we might have a termite issue!!! :scared1:

So, we called Orkin. The guy came out and confirmed that the termites had moved in...luckily, we caught it early and there was no significant damage done but we have to treat it to get rid of them obviously....Oh, and the little ants we get every spring/summer...yeah, those are carpenter ants....:scared: Sooooooooo, I just wrote a check for $1299 to completely treat our house and then we will have the monthly monitoring......

I am glad we caught it early, and glad that we won't have bugs (including spiders, stink bugs, etc...) anymore, but I hate spending money on stuff like that!!!

Vent over....:headache:

Okay you guy have all inspired me.

Here is my plan. Since we missed our trip last year due to having the Worst. Year. Ever! By my calculation, that means we should do two trips next year to make up for it. I was talking to my hubby this morning and said if you could choose - Halloween Christmas, Summer or Star Wars weekend - which would you choose? He said "Summer's too hot, Christmas is too cold...I want to take Robbie to his first Star Wars weekend"
I said "You want to do Star Wars weekend with the boys, May 17th ish, I want to do Tower of Terror 10 mile run with the girl, October 4th ish
Lets do both. We have to make up for missing a trip last year. We could take your dad on one. He said "Okay." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was easy! Now to book, can't do Tower of Terror just yet but we are going to try for BWV for Star Wars. Then we can just walk home and jump under those adorable elephants at the pool when it gets too hot.
:thumbsup2

Oooooh thank you! I LOVE reviews - I love to hear what people think! This is why I am a RC - I love to constantly gather info and consider it. What fun is it if you know what you want and never look at anything else???

I am dying to do a resort hopping trip. Just check out a bunch I haven't been to. That will have to be with my girlfriends though. Or my daughter once she is grown!

I get super excited about all those chains - Hilton Garden Inns, Residence, all of them. I even like older resorts. There is one in Illinois, a conference center, hotel - I was over the moon to explore it, and check out all the retro stuff they had. I was the only business traveler who got honestly excited about that stuff. :dance3:

Where in IL?? I'm in IL. :-) up in the Chicago burbs somewhere I'm guessing...?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Over lunch, DH and I had a meeting with the Orkin Man....last week I had discovered a mud looking patch on my foundation. At the time, it had a couple of wasps on it, so I thought that maybe it was a wierd wasp nest. My DFIL sprayed it and no wasps came back but little "larvae" looking things came out of it....Well, even after the spray the mud trail continued to expand up the foundation under the siding....:confused:

Well, me being me, I did some research and realized that we might have a termite issue!!! :scared1:

So, we called Orkin. The guy came out and confirmed that the termites had moved in...luckily, we caught it early and there was no significant damage done but we have to treat it to get rid of them obviously....Oh, and the little ants we get every spring/summer...yeah, those are carpenter ants....:scared: Sooooooooo, I just wrote a check for $1299 to completely treat our house and then we will have the monthly monitoring......

I am glad we caught it early, and glad that we won't have bugs (including spiders, stink bugs, etc...) anymore, but I hate spending money on stuff like that!!!

We've had carpenter ants & hornets nest (INSIDE MY HOUSE I MIGHT ADD!) They are soooooo ridiculously expensive to treat. We are also on a year-round treatment plan to the tune of $49 a month. Ugh. But without it, as you know, a one-time treatment for any of those things is $700++++.

Would you consider a villa instead of CL? The full kitchen really helps for our family. And renting points can be dirt cheap!

Oooo - I am so sorry. I hate it when things like that happen. Clever of you to do that research and catch it early though. Just think how expensive it would have been if they had started to do damage.

We've had carpenter ants & hornets nest (INSIDE MY HOUSE I MIGHT ADD!) They are soooooo ridiculously expensive to treat. We are also on a year-round treatment plan to the tune of $49 a month. Ugh. But without it, as you know, a one-time treatment for any of those things is $700++++.

Would you consider a villa instead of CL? The full kitchen really helps for our family. And renting points can be dirt cheap!

Yeah, we will have the year round treatment plan as well. $45/month...:scared: Unfortunately, its not like I can just ignore the problem. I hate grownup problems! :)

I'm not sure the villas are for us. We would definitely NOT cook on vacation and I tend to dislike the villa decor in the various resorts...

Oooo - I am so sorry. I hate it when things like that happen. Clever of you to do that research and catch it early though. Just think how expensive it would have been if they had started to do damage.

I am grateful that no damage was done and that we are taking care of it, that's for sure! I just hate spending money for stuff like this....it goes in the category of spending money on new tires, appliances, furnaces....you get the point. :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter