Our Very Merry USO, DCL, and WDW Christmas Break!

Hello again! Please have your photos and Trip Report made into a trip report album ... I would actually purchase haha because You guys did it all and these are (sadly) probably Forever Memories ...
I always say :
“Best trip til the next trip “
Aww, thanks :) That means so much to me!! When I start planning a trip, this always happens!! I literally cannot stop adding events and extras until I feel like I've built the ultimate trip :) Then, good luck trying to beat it when I plan the next one!! I love that quote. It is now my motto!

Thanks so much for reading along!

Wow that party looked like so much fun!! And I think it’s awesome how they wanted to make sure the kids had fun too!

Wow that party looked like so much fun!! And I think it’s awesome how they wanted to make sure the kids had fun too!
Disney did an amazing job (don't they always?!) planning this party with kids in mind! I didn't take any pictures of the food, but there were even separate buffets for adults and for kids! It comes with a hefty price tag, but it was worth every penny!

I have a few pictures of the LWTL holiday overlay at night coming up in the next update!
Good!
I was sort of surprised he didn't do that this time, LOL
:laughing:
Funny enough, I didn't realize Dale was on my shoulder in that pic until I posted it in the update! I noticed Chip in Jimmy's hands obviously, but totally missed Dale!
OMG. I didn't even see that! I just saw the one in Jimmy's hands!
YES, there were! Obviously there were more families there, but definitely some couples, too. When we had done the Countdown to Midnight party, it was the exact opposite--lots of couples, but still a few families. It's kind of nice that they offer options geared for either, but let people make the own call on which party is a better fit for them/their families. For us, the characters won out hands down!! At Countdown to Midnight, there are a couple of photo spots, but the only characters you see are Mickey & Minnie--no photo op or Meet and Greet with them--they come out on stage and let you know when it's time to head out for fireworks. Kind of anticlimactic, really.
Okay, thanks. Future planning... that I hope might actually be able to happen some day.

Ugh, 2020. Such a letdown. I hope 2021 brings us a reset!

Me too. I have hope now though.

I'll be very interested to see what they plan for Christmas/NYE....and I'll be insanely jealous no matter what they do that I won't be there to experience it! I feel like I need a little magic in my life (who doesn't!?) but my state has a mandatory 14 day quarantine upon returning from FL right now, and I can't do that :( Boo.

Honestly it's probably for the better. I know Disney is doing much better at limiting capacity, but I know after my short trip down and two days at Universal I have no interest in returning until this virus is under control so probably at least until next fall tbh

Hope you're well, Timmy!! I enjoyed the pics you posted from your trip to USO! I was so happy for you to get to go :)

I'm glad you enjoyed that! It was fun, but again is definitely something I will not be planning again for some time. Universal is not the place to go during a pandemic and has gotten way too loose with their regulations than when they first opened. At this point, I look forward to returning when next fall rolls around. :thumbsup2

Living with the Land (LOVED this holiday overlay; it was even more festive riding at night when the lights were more visible! ),
I did too! I'm hoping they did it again this year which I think they did? I don't see why they couldn't!
One quick pic by the Pop tree on our way out to the bus:
So handsome :love:
I thought it might just be a fixed in place statue to take a picture with, but suddenly he raised his arm in greeting and said his name! I was so surprised!
Neat! Nice surprise!
I sure am glad we had the time for all that extra fun and all the cuddly hugs....because what if we never get to hug characters again?!!?
Oh don't say that 😢 I have to believe that will return!

Wow the party looks amazing! Thank you for sharing and I'm glad you all enjoyed it. I have to show Ricky your meet with Bullseye, he's been Ricky's favorite since he was like 3! When he mastered potty training we went to Build a Bear and he made a horse - named Bullseye 😊 Fifteen years later Bullseye still rests on Ricky's bed!

OMG Jackie!!! LOVE this! What an amazing way to spend NYE. This year is going to be so different...
You all looked amazing by the way!! 😘
This year, we made plans to stay over at a hotel just for a change of scenery from our house (and because Jimmy loves hotels!) :) We'll celebrate in our jammies instead, but it was fun to get all dressed up last year!

I'm glad you enjoyed that! It was fun, but again is definitely something I will not be planning again for some time. Universal is not the place to go during a pandemic and has gotten way too loose with their regulations than when they first opened. At this point, I look forward to returning when next fall rolls around. :thumbsup2
When we took Jimmy in July, Universal was doing an awesome job of distancing, etc. The only time I felt remotely nervous was when the line for Hagrid's opened unexpectedly and people were rushing in from all directions! But the pictures I've seen the last couple months make me super nervous crowd-wise. We won't be heading back for awhile either!

Wow the party looks amazing! Thank you for sharing and I'm glad you all enjoyed it. I have to show Ricky your meet with Bullseye, he's been Ricky's favorite since he was like 3! When he mastered potty training we went to Build a Bear and he made a horse - named Bullseye 😊 Fifteen years later Bullseye still rests on Ricky's bed!
It was SO fun!! To be honest, Bullseye was a HUGE draw for me on attending this party! I was giddy like one of the kids when it was our turn to meet him :) Jimmy has a stuffed Bullseye from the Disney store that he used to sit on and scoot around the house on when he was about 2, LOL, while wearing his Woody hat.

Sounds like an amazing and fun night! So many cute character photos!!

I'm sure it's nice to look back on that night. Especially since the year did not turn out like any of us expected :(

Your NYE party looks like so much fun! One of these days I will get to WDW for NYE. This year would have been ideal as I don't have to be back to work until the 4th. In my job I have to be in the office the first business day of the year.

NYE 2019/2020 is such a weird day for me to look back on. I was seriously depressed, and the next day went on a completely illogical tirade over an email my boss sent me. Three days later my illogical tirade would be explained, and 9 months later (well 8 months and 1 week later) 2020 was completely worth all the other struggles! That night though really set up a lot for what 2020 would become looking back. I have high hopes for 2021.

Sounds like an amazing and fun night! So many cute character photos!!

I'm sure it's nice to look back on that night. Especially since the year did not turn out like any of us expected :(
Oops, I replied, but forgot my quote!! Just reposting here, so you see it :)

SOO many fun character memories made, that's for sure!! It has taken me forever to get this TR done, but right now I'm glad to be thinking back on it!:)

Your NYE party looks like so much fun! One of these days I will get to WDW for NYE. This year would have been ideal as I don't have to be back to work until the 4th. In my job I have to be in the office the first business day of the year.
There's nothing else like it, so I do hope you get to experience it someday!!! I have wanted to sign up to try a Dopey Challenge for Marathon weekend, but I always have calendar trouble, too!! I'm a teacher, so I have to be back when school starts up again and it always falls in the same week. A couple of years ago, the calendar was in my favor to at least do the 5 and 10Ks, but I had to be back for school and couldn't stay the whole weekend. Someday!!

NYE 2019/2020 is such a weird day for me to look back on. I was seriously depressed, and the next day went on a completely illogical tirade over an email my boss sent me. Three days later my illogical tirade would be explained, and 9 months later (well 8 months and 1 week later) 2020 was completely worth all the other struggles! That night though really set up a lot for what 2020 would become looking back. I have high hopes for 2021.
There definitely have been a few shining moments in 2020 despite everything that has been so unpleasant!! I'm so glad you have a wonderful blessing to look back on when you think of this year!!!

There definitely have been a few shining moments in 2020 despite everything that has been so unpleasant!! I'm so glad you have a wonderful blessing to look back on when you think of this year!!!
Thank you! Savannah was exactly what my family needed. Due to working from home, my sister who lives in CA was able to come and spend a couple months with my parents and be here for the birth. In normal world, she would have had to wait til December. We had several complications (hence coming 3 weeks early), but she is a perfectly happy, healthy, hangry baby! Yeah shes hangry. She takes after her mom lol.

There's nothing else like it, so I do hope you get to experience it someday!!! I have wanted to sign up to try a Dopey Challenge for Marathon weekend, but I always have calendar trouble, too!! I'm a teacher, so I have to be back when school starts up again and it always falls in the same week. A couple of years ago, the calendar was in my favor to at least do the 5 and 10Ks, but I had to be back for school and couldn't stay the whole weekend. Someday!!
I totally get the calendar thing! I am a cost accountant, and our first week or two of the month is close. December is forecast 3 and budget, so it is a busy time! I would love to go for Marathon weekend too. I just started running again (first time in 2020, darn pregnancy pains), hoping to get in one race in 2021 depending on the calendar! Wine and Dine was my favorite, but they moved it up two weeks and now the timing stinks!

JANUARY 1, 2020

After our amazing NYE celebration the evening before, we had a nice slow start planned for our day. We eventually got up and headed out to catch a bus to Disney Springs. I had purchased tickets for Rob and Jimmy for the NBA Experience at noon, and had my own plans for shopping and a meet-up of my own!

It's always a good day when you get picked up by the Mickey bus!! :) PS Jimmy's Michael Jordan jersey is actually Rob's from when he was about Jimmy's age. Growing up, we were pretty lucky to experience 6 NBA championships and watch the amazing #23 play for our Chicago Bulls! Jimmy was super excited for this day, but I think Rob might have been even more so!
20200101_105837

When we arrived at Disney Springs, we had time to get some lunch before they headed to the NBA Experience. We tried a new to us lunch at Blaze Pizza, and were incredibly impressed!! We loved placing our orders for individual pizzas (subway style!) and it was delicious. After lunch, we parted ways.

I spent some time browsing around in World of Disney before meeting up with my childhood friend, Nicole. We attended dance classes together as little girls and ended up going to the same high school. We lost track of each other during college (before Facebook existed!) but eventually reconnected there. I couldn't believe how she had spent her post-college years--WORKING AT DISNEY WORLD! She was in some of my favorite parades, and I hadn't even known! Stars and Motorcars and Tapestry of Nations. We hadn't seen each other in 20 years, and it was SO nice to walk around together and spend some time catching up!
Another classmate of ours was in WDW with her family at the same time, but wasn't able to meet up with us that day. I know she and Nicole met up later that week though. I just love how Disney brings people back into your life!!

Jimmy and Rob met up with Nicole and I, and we said our goodbyes. I was hoping they would have had a fun time at the NBA Experience....well, in the poetic words of my husband, they "enjoyed the hell out of it!" Here are some pics to prove it, starting with my favorite one:
1044709992_606943124 1044816447_606981763 1044828941_606981767 1045036320_607021633

I'll spare you all the pictures of their stats, but this was something they were both VERY excited about! We got A LOT of pictures from their time at the NBA Experience added to our Memory Maker including ones like this, with their statistics from the activities they participated in while they were.
1045032766_607462757

Following our Disney Springs fun, we had some FPs at Epcot to get to, so we headed there next. I'm not even sure how we got there....I think we grabbed the first resort bus that showed up and then an Epcot bus from there. But in any case, we eventually arrived and got this picture taken, one of my favorites from the trip!
1045036242_607137120 1044652463_607137194

Our pizza had worn off, and we were pretty hungry, plus lots of snack credits to use up, so we stopped off for a Mickey pretzel only a few minutes after walking into the park.
20200101_170130

Hmm...it seems from my pictures we also rode Spaceship Earth. I'm betting we did that before the pretzel, but who really cares, amiright!?
20200101_160549 20200101_164145

Next up were Jimmy's favorites, Journey into Imagination with Figment and The Seas with Nemo & Friends. He was trying to make the same face as Figment, LOL
20200101_170858 20200101_174133 20200101_174226 20200101_174828 20200101_174949

Next up, Mommy's favorites, Living with the Land and Soarin'.
20200101_180417 20200101_180431 20200101_180513 20200101_180842 20200101_180817 20200101_184557

As the last night of our trip was coming to a close, we only had time for a few more things. Most importantly, hugging everyone's favorite healthcare companion and a ride through Mexico followed by margaritas, chips & guac!
1044860354_607329736 Ba La La La!
20200101_200118 20200101_201551 20200101_201608 20200101_193234

Heading toward the International Gateway, we stopped for these pics of our final magical evening!
1044907234_607372161 1044907236_607372252

We took a quick Skyliner ride back to Pop Century where Jimmy finished up his Arcade credits and Rob and I finished up our Miller Lites while packing up and watching Jimmy's newfound favorite movie, Happy Gilmore!
20200101_210248 20200101_221108

Oh, just found these photobooth pictures from this night, too. I believe we took these at the photo booth when you exit Journey into Imagination with Figment!
1045028289_607234980 1045028288_607234990

Ok so probably not the agreed upon opinion but NBA experience was actually really fun. I can't compare to DisneyQuest, but I had a good time and the fact it was never popular so it was devoid of people made it just that much more fun. Also, I got in for free soooo might be part of that reason lol I'm glad Jimmy and Rob had a good time!

What a fun way to end your last evening. You really did it all and that's so cool you've reconnected with someone who was in Disney Entertainment for that long. So sad you were leaving so soon after, but at least you ended it on a good note. :thumbsup2

JANUARY 2, 2020

For our last morning of fun before heading home, we were headed back to Magic Kingdom. On most trips, I try to plan for our final day to be spent at MK. I don't always know when we'll be back, and I just like to say goodbye to the castle before heading home!
20200102_092613

We walked straight to It's a Small World. It had quite a bit of a wait when we had been at MK, so we didn't ride as many times as we usually do, so ridiculous as it may sound this was a priority today! It's one of Jimmy's (and Rob's, LOL!) favorite. Seriously. No sarcasm here. They both love it!
20200102_093757 20200102_095144 20200102_095225

We had a reservation, at Jimmy's request, at Chef Mickey's for lunch. We were getting hungry, so I had changed the reservation time to an hour earlier figuring we could hit that magic breakfast to lunch timeframe. We had just enough time to ride Jingle Cruise before heading over to the Contemporary.
20200102_101100 20200102_102021 20200102_102124

We walked out of the park and took the walkway over to the Contemporary. After checking in, we headed to the waiting area figuring we'd be seated in just a few minutes. I couldn't have been more wrong. It took ALMOST AN HOUR to get seated. In that time, I went back to the hostess stand twice to check when we'd be seated and was told "just a few parties" were ahead of us. The crowd in the waiting area just kept growing and growing. When almost an hour had passed, I walked up for the third time, ready to tell her we'd be leaving and better not be charged the $10 per person fee for not keeping our reservation. Well, isn't it something that suddenly our table was ready!? :eyeroll:

Chef Mickey's is definitely not my favorite place, but we hadn't been since Jimmy's 2nd birthday, and since he asked, I figured we'd give it another try. I'll join @Jenny Sanders in skipping out on this one for another decade or so, but in any case he really enjoyed himself, and we did get to take advantage of both breakfast and lunch menus, as they switched one side of the buffet over to lunch while we were dining.
20200102_113443 20200102_113903 20200102_113938 20200102_114424 20200102_115019

I would like to have this meal right now as I stress eat and drink my way through remote learning until January!!!!!
20200102_113258

After finishing up, we checked out the gingerbread castle before heading back to MK to wrap up our afternoon!
20200102_121148 20200102_121218

When we walked back into the park, we went immediately to the Harmony Barber Shop to check in for Jimmy's reservation. He is the worst haircut client in the world anywhere else, but here is a model citizen! Originally, I had made his reservation following lunch and we'd have plenty of time before having to leave the park to get back for our Magical Express pick up.....but Southwest had changed our flight, which effected our ME pickup, and now we had JUST enough time to squeeze this in. Well, when we checked in, they were running behind and it seemed like we would have to cancel altogether. Well, another guest (a teenage girl) waiting for her turn chimed in and said he could have her spot (she was up next!) and she wouldn't mind coming back later. They were able to take Jimmy immediately and she happily headed out to enjoy the park instead. We were so grateful! Doesn't he look thrilled??
20200102_124828

Following his fresh new haircut, we walked over toward Tomorrowland for Jimmy's first Purple Wall photo shoot!

We only had time for one more ride before we needed to leave the park. Jimmy got to pick, so we headed for the Peoplemover! Imagine our surprise when we saw a CM standing FAR AWAY at the end of a huge line with the line starts here sign! I had never seen this sign in use before! When I was posing Jimmy for a pic with the sign, the CM offered it to Jimmy instead.
20200102_130715

We got a nice view of the Tron Lightcoaster construction at the time. Who knew this would be our last ride on the Peoplemover for who knows how long?!
20200102_132625 20200102_132556 20200102_132448

And just like that, our magical fun was over! We headed back to Pop Century, picked up our luggage and went out to the benches to wait for our Magical Express back to the airport. We were so sad to leave, but full of so many magical memories made!
20200102_150945 20200102_151019

Our flight was on time (a first for us! Our flights are ALWAYS delayed leaving MCO!) and before long we saw the beautiful lights of our city welcoming us home.
20200102_210116 20200102_205052

Back home, Jimmy was excited to see that Santa hadn't forgotten to stop at our house!
20200103_110443

Reflecting on how amazing this trip had been, I also looked back at how much Jimmy had grown :)
IMG_20200103_191756_294000

and how much things had changed since our first Disney Cruise together in 2006!
20200103_202148 20200103_202203

If there's one thing the year since this trip has taught us, it's that our family is more important than anything. 10 days after coming home from this trip, my nephew Liam was born nearly three months early. We were blessed to have him with us for 12 days, but no amount of time will ever have been enough.

20200123_103537

We've spent the rest of 2020 hoping things would get better, but being let down at every turn, like so many others. I keep finding myself grateful for the amazing two weeks we spent on this trip and hopeful that we have many more trips like this on the other side of this pandemic!

Thanks for reading along on our trip!! :)

Ok so probably not the agreed upon opinion but NBA experience was actually really fun. I can't compare to DisneyQuest, but I had a good time and the fact it was never popular so it was devoid of people made it just that much more fun. Also, I got in for free soooo might be part of that reason lol I'm glad Jimmy and Rob had a good time!
DisneyQuest existed briefly in Chicago, too, but I never thought much of it other than a great big arcade. Since I didn't go with them, I can't really give a fair comparison either, but they sure did love the time they spent, and I'm sure they'd love to go back!

I remember you posting that your crew had a great time there, and FREE is always amazing! :)

What a fun way to end your last evening. You really did it all and that's so cool you've reconnected with someone who was in Disney Entertainment for that long. So sad you were leaving so soon after, but at least you ended it on a good note. :thumbsup2
We didn't accomplish much, but it was just a perfect evening for us! It's always sad to head home, but we wrapped up our trip with so many of our favs, so that was a little comforting :)

49391522197_b11285dfd8_z.jpg
He looks so hansome!

but suddenly he raised his arm in greeting and said his name! I was so surprised!
So cool!

I felt really bad for the other balloon artist that was there...he could only make the more "traditional" balloons kids might ask for, an
I mean what is that guy even doing there if he can't make disney characters?!?! Really....

That is pretty cool.

That was an amazing amount of characters that you guys could meet!

For some reason, this picture looks like he is ready for college.

we were ready to count down to 2020 (who knew what we were in store for, huh?!)
Seriously! who knew 2020 would turn out this way!?!

A sign of a good party!

When we arrived at Disney Springs, we had time to get some lunch before they headed to the NBA Experience. We tried a new to us lunch at Blaze Pizza, and were incredibly impressed!! We loved placing our orders for individual pizzas (subway style!) and it was delicious. After lunch, we parted ways.
Blaze is great! The girls love it.

Heading toward the International Gateway, we stopped for these pics of our final magical evening!
Best parents EVER!!!!

I love this!

We walked straight to It's a Small World. It had quite a bit of a wait when we had been at MK, so we didn't ride as many times as we usually do, so ridiculous as it may sound this was a priority today! It's one of Jimmy's (and Rob's, LOL!) favorite. Seriously. No sarcasm here. They both love it!
I understand this..

When I was posing Jimmy for a pic with the sign, the CM offered it to Jimmy instead.
I think I love this too much.

We got a nice view of the Tron Lightcoaster construction at the time. Who knew this would be our last ride on the Peoplemover for who knows how long?!
;(

I love Jimmy's baby! Glad to see it made the trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter