Our Victoria and Albert's dinner, with John Dory.

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
So you're probably asking "'Who's John Dory?" Well-the better question is '"WHAT"s John Dory?". It's a fish! And it was on the menu the nite we dined at V&A last week. Truth to tell, I'd never heard of it, but once I saw it on the menu, I just had to try it.

Anyway--we arrived for dinner at V&A (our 21st!!) promptly at 6:00 and after valet parking the Santa fe (valet is free if you dine at V&A) made our way thru the GF lobby to the restaurant. This evening Uncleromulus had on his blue sport coat, tan slacks, and a vintage Disney 'Postage Stamp" tie I managed to find while cleaning out my closet. Mrs. U had on a nice pants suit, with flats.
Upon arrival were were greeted at the podium, where I was disappointed to learn that Pete ( our usual "Albert") was off the entire week. But Nancy, our usual Victoria, was on hand, and Marty (on loan from Jikos) proved to be a worthy Albert. We were seated in what I call the 'Side Room" at V&A. It's off to the left as you enter, and normally used for private affairs, or for seating larger parties together. This nite it was being used for normal seating since the early seating at V&A was booked solid. Were this our first dinner there I'd have been a tad disappointed.. I think the main dining area is a bit nicer, and you can also see and hear the harpist much better. But the side room is pretty enough in it's own right (the fireplace is especially attractive) and besides, it's where Nancy was stationed that evening. This nite there were 5 tables in the room, and all were full.
As our menus were handed to us, it dawned on me--there was a costume change for the Albert's!! Instead of the usual brown Tux, they now wear blue/grey tuxes. And the tails seem a bit longer than the older models. Nancy said the Victoria's also had a change in their attire, but I didn't notice any real difference.
And another change became apparent as I read the menu--Iron Horse Fairytail Champagne was not on the menu. Instead, they offered Argyl Brut Willamette Valley, 1997. It was a worthy replacement--I downed the first glass with such gusto that Nancy came around with another. It's very good--!!
And now--I found something that I think V&A could do better. Rolls at V&A are served individually--that is, you get one placed on the bread plate. Finish it, and you'll get another, and so on. The rolls are fresh and warm--but VERY crusty. By the time I had finished 2, it appeared as though I had been feeding the pigeons!!
Over the years,I've found no good way to cut or tear these apart w/o making a mess--I'd prefer softer, more chewey rolls.
But--on to the meal!!
The Chef's special appetizer this evening was a sea scallop drizzled in lime/cocoanut mixture. Excellent--it would make a worthy "real" appetizer!! For our "cold" appetizers, I had Applewod Roasted African Pheasant with Cider Vinaigrette, while Mrs, U went with Maine Lobster Cannelloni. Since we had decided on wine pairings, her wine was King Estate Pinot Gris Oregon, 2001. MY wine was Brokenwood Harlequin Chardonneay, Cowra McLaren Vale-Pathway, 2000.
Hot appetizers were next--I had Cast Iron roasted Quail, while she ordered the Florida Blue Crab Stuffed Squash Blossom. The wines with these were Trimbach Gewurztaminer, Alsace, 2000, and Domaine Laroche Chablis St Martin, Burgundy, 2001.
Soups were next up, and they were excellent!! Mrs. U had Gamebird Consomme' with fresh tortellini, while I had Sweet Potato Almond Cream. I don't usually order "heavy" soup like that, but this sounded so good I had to try it. YUM!!

Entrees are always well worth the wait at V&A and these certainly were. I had the aforementioned John Dory, with Ohio Corn and California Crayfish. It is a mildy firm, mildly sweet tasting fish--reminded me a bit of Halibut in taste and texture. Mrs, U went with her "usual"--Grilled Prime Filet. This evening, it was served with Sweet Onion Puree and Burgundy reduction. It was literally fork tender-a beautiful piece of meat. MY wine was Napa Wine Pinot Blanc, Napa Valley 2000. With the filet came Elderton Tauntalus Shiraz, Cabernet-Sauvignon, S. Australia, 2001.
Next up was the cheese and Port wine. A bit of a disappointment here--Stilton was not the cheese offered. Instead, it was Vacherin Fribourqeois, served with Black Mission Fig Chutney. Not too bad-but I miss the Stilton. Used to be they brought out the entire cheese wheel and carved it tableside, served with poached pear and pumpernickle bread. But them days is gone, I guess----
The Port was Ferreira Tawny, Porto and was quite good.
Finally-dessert. Sticking with tradition, we both had souffles. Mine was Grand Mariner, while Mrs. U had the Hawaiian Kona Chocolate. These have both been on the menu for a number of years now, and I hope they continue to be available. Dessert wine came with the souffles and it was an absolute hit. Selaks Gewurztraminer-Riesling Icewine, Marlborough 2002 was the selection, and it was achingly sweet!! We're going to get some next trip to our liquor store.
The meal had to end, and it did as we had some coffeee from that gravity tableside coffee brewer. Time was 8:40--2 hours and 40 minutes from start to finish. Armed with yet another set of menus (and a rose) we made our way back to valet parking, looking forward to our next meal at V&A!

Sounds like another fabulous meal at V & A's!! Thanks for posting that mouthwatering review. It's also nice to hear that they offer Icewine--that stuff is amazing (also amazingly expensive, lol).

Another excellent review. I have been looking forward to reading this one from you. I hadn't heard of John Dory either but it sounds delicious.

My mum and I are making our first visit to V&A on Christmas Day and I can't wait!

One question about wine pairings. I am concerned that glass after glass of wine will make me rather 'unsteady' by the end. How do you find it?

Louise

Yes, you may feel a little "unsteady." My fiance and I always begin our dinner at V&As with a drink, then order the wine pairings. I've returned to our room, luckily at the GF, a little happy, and this is from a dedicated wine and martini drinker! My suggestion: if you want to remain steady don't finish all of the glasses of wine (which requires much willpower). Also, you and your mother could share the wine pairings, with each of you getting a half glass of the selection. You must both receive the same wine, though, so it may not pair well with all of your courses. As long as you aren't driving, I would just pace yourself and enjoy! After all, you're on vacation! Have a great trip!

Miss Mickey:
That's a good and relevant question.
These are "standard" pours (your glass won't be overfilled) and I guess it all depends on the person. Actually, with all the food that you get and the slow pace of the meal itself, I've never had a bit of trouble driving back to OKW after the meal.

oh no, please say it isnt so... the Fairytale Cuvee was my favorite! you cant buy the one they served at V&A's. it is a differnt year the the one you can buy!
that was ny favorite, they still had it in July when we had dinner at V&A's, we'll be going again in November, I will really miss the Fairytle cuvee.

I have a bottle of the "not as good" fairytale cuvee in my fridge, always wishing it was the one from V&A's.....
oh well, I'll miss it, but I am sure it wont hinder our V& A's experience any...:)

thanks for the great review, as usual!! :)

Laura :)

OK thanks :D. My mum doesn't drink red wine and is not planning on doing the wine pairing. I'd love to try it though. I'll see how I feel on the night but I'm very tempted.

We are not driving anyway so that's not an issue. Well, only 81 days to decide!

Thanks for the information.

Louise

I've been looking forward to this review, Uncleromulus and it lived up to expectations. Thanks for all your trouble.

I've had John Dory before...perhaps at V&A:D.

Know what you mean about the crumbs from the rolls but I love those so much.

I'm so excited because I picked up some Colson Bassett Stilton today. First time I've run into it around here. My husband and I both love it so I'm looking forward to surprising him.

With regard to splitting the wine pairings someone here has posted that when they did this each person received a half portion of the appropriate wine for their dish.

Thanks again, Uncleromulus!

Uncleromulus for great review,like always interesting and entertaining to read.:wave2: Always look forward to your reviews thanks again for sharing.

Thanks for your Victoria & Albert's review. It's so nice to hear it all...brings back memories from our honeymoon.

~DawnMaree

Yum! Your wonderful reviews makes me realize that our one time at Victoria and Alberts was just the beginning of many future dining adventures. I always enjoy reading your reviews, then print them out for my dh to enjoy!

Fantastic review!

After reading your review, I did a search on John Dory - what an unusual fish! And from what I had read, quiet the delicacy!

About the Fairytale Cuvee - the night I dined there in December 2002, they did not serve it. Can't find the menu right now, so I can't post what was served. They may, on occasion, substitue other sparkling wines from time to time.

Thanks for another always excellent review! pirate:
johndory.jpg

The John Dory grows to 66cm in length.
It is a highly regarded table fish and fetches high market prices.
This species is known from temperate marine waters of the Eastern Atlantic and Indo-West Pacific.
from amonline.net
V&A's serves only the best.

Thanks uncleromulus!

Great review, as usual.

DH and I are going to try V & A in Feb. for sure.

Thanks for the review Uncleromulus-

Our dining experience before the last one was in that room.... I got the impression that night that we were an 'also ran'. However the result of our discussion with the V & A manager later soothed our concerns about quality of experience.

We go again in January... (I believe)!!!

I can understand how you could feel that way. Seems as tho you're being seated out of the way for some reason, and you're going to wind up missing something!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter