Over 3,500 people quarantined on Diamond Princess cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's these sudden lockdowns that scare me. I think it very unlikely that kind of thing is going to happen in the US (never say never I guess) but generally the CDC approaches things less heavy-handed, partly because if authorities are heavy-handed, people will start lying and failing to come forward if they're sick.

And that's why I wouldn't go on a big-ship cruise in the near future. The odds are super low of anything really happening, but the consequences if it did are very high. I'd like to think the authorities learned their lesson with the Diamond Princess and Westerdam, but the fact is, the only lesson they likely learned was "Don't let these ships dock at all." The next ship that has a rumored case aboard may not be able to find a port, under any circumstances. Again, it's not the virus that's the problem, it's the reaction to it.

And as a passenger aboard a ship, if I were sick I might not tell anyone. I'd be afraid of the above scenario. So I'd tough it out until I got to port, infecting others along the way.

Quarantines and lockdowns can do far more harm than good, if they're misapplied. I think the lessons learned from the cruise ship problems are not the ones we wish they were.
I couldn’t agree with you more. Not to mention not everyone is a peaceful law abiding citizen. You see how some people act during natural disasters...looting, rioting, etc. I think it’s better to keep things as normal and calm as possible.

They want to be prepared for what is to come. It allows them to get emergency resources and funding in place so when/if an outbreak happens they are ready.

Exactly. From the mayor's own words:

We see the virus spreading in new parts of the world every day, and we are taking the necessary steps to protect San Franciscans from harm

So there are no new cases showing up in San Francisco right now. Just preparing.

San Francisco has declared a local emergency do you guys know why?
Are you sure that's not San Diego? I know they did a week ago, because they have a quarantine facility nearby. Local authorities have different standards for doing things. They said they wanted to get out ahead of any problems, not that there was one.

(I kind of thought that they hadn't been keeping up with their local disaster planning exercises).

Edit: I figured out it was SF just now, not SD.

Exactly. From the mayor's own words:

So there are no new cases showing up in San Francisco right now. Just preparing.
Okay, then they're just doing what San Diego did. Makes sense.
Also, I think in some cases that may trigger some emergency money they can put to good use. Better to do it now than do it AFTER the virus shows up.

I also listened to the CDC call today and am pretty happy with what they reported. I still wish that the test kits were more widely available, but they have a point regarding quality control, and it sounds like they're making moves quickly in that regard.

They have begun testing of previously-collected flu tests, like they've done in China, so that's really important. I'm sure it's targeted to areas where you'd expect it to first show up. They also said they were running 400 tests PER DAY which is much higher than in the past.

Last edited:
Related to DCL- having an upcoming cruise (Embarking on April 4th), and seeing how quickly things blew up in Italy, as well as the CDC's "prepare for a possible pandemic, with disruptions to day-to-day life" talk... I am mentally preparing myself for a cancelled cruise, especially as my 84-year-old father is going with us. At this point I am grateful we didn't tell the kids about it yet. (When this first started heating up, I was a bit concerned about things like cruises being cancelled.. then in the last couple of weeks, I started to feel like things were turning the corner so-to-speak.. up until the Iran/South Korea/Italy cases). Obviously it is too soon to tell, and there is also a chance that it doesn't start spreading in the US.. but there seems to be a higher chance of it directly hitting the US than a week ago, and a 6-week period seems like a significant amount of time for this thing to get out of control.

Hoping for the best, preparing myself (mentally) for the worst. Ultimately, if we do start seeing significant and sustained local transmission in the US, I don't think I'd want my dad on a cruise ship anyway.

Ah it's good to know that people won't be left behind or with a huge debt.
I don't think so. In an epidemic, it would be a massive mistake to keep anyone away from care and testing over worry about a bill. In my community there isn't that worry. But nationwide, these types of policies need to be set and publicized ASAP. There was a case in Miami where a young man got a big bill for being checked out- if I were on that board of directors, the CFO would have a lot to answer for. Now, I bet that gets written off, but it should never have made the news. Terrible PR for that hospital, to say the least.

Last edited:
My apologies I'm not too familiar with your health system, but I was wondering if the USA gets coronavirus and it starts spreading, who's gonna cover and cure these people that will need inesive therapy and won't have insurance? Do they get covered anyway cuz it's an emergency? Or there is no need to be covered?
Uninsured are still treated in the hospitals. The hospitals eat the cost. Hospitals cannot turn anyone away because they lack insurance or the ability to pay. We are very compassionate country in that regard. They’ll get a bill but they won’t pay it. If your homeless your not concerned about a collection on your credit report.
I had a patient once from Canada who thought we just let people die in the streets if they weren’t insured. I assure you that is not the case.

If your income is below a certain level you can qualify for state Medicaid which is free, but a family of four in our state must earn less than 34k a year. A single person less then 16k to qualify.
The majority of people in the US have some form of insurance.

I had a patient once from Canada who thought we just let people die in the streets if they weren’t insured. I assure you that is not the case.
Our own media think we are the worst at everything. I sure am tired of the CDC getting so much flak over what they've been doing. And I am a small-government type of person, but I think that's been money very well-spent.

Uninsured are still treated in the hospitals. The hospitals eat the cost. Hospitals cannot turn anyone away because they lack insurance or the ability to pay. We are very compassionate country in that regard. They’ll get a bill but they won’t pay it. If your homeless your not concerned about a collection on your credit report.

If your income is below a certain level you can qualify for state Medicaid which is free, but a family of four in our state must earn less than 34k a year. A single person less then 16k to qualify.
The majority of people in the US have some form of insurance.
This all is fair and true, but I certainly know people who’ve had to do online fundraisers for basic healthcare bills ($20,000 for childbirth, in one case). It’s that or lose your house. And I know someone whose toddler was killed in a car accident, the at fault driver was held liable and the family got a pain and suffering aware...which the insurance then sued them for. So they ended up still with the hospital bill for the dead child.
many people have insurance - more now with the exchanges - but the system has some major cracks. And people are absolutely afraid to seek treatment. Hospitals and the govt will need to come out clearly and vocally and say people won’t be bankrupted by this, or we will have people trying to treat at home.

And I know someone whose toddler was killed in a car accident, the at fault driver was held liable and the family got a pain and suffering aware...which the insurance then sued them for. So they ended up still with the hospital bill for the dead child.
I don't mean to dwell on someone's misfortune, but it only stands to reason that the insurance company would want to be reimbursed for paying a bill, when by all rights they should not have to. Settlements have two components- actual damages (medical bills, lost wages, etc) and intangibles like pain and suffering. The first gets paid, and then the second is added on top of it. If your friend had to pay out of pocket any bill at all, they had a terrible attorney. That's who should take the blame, not the insurance company.

Obviously it is too soon to tell, and there is also a chance that it doesn't start spreading in the US.. but there seems to be a higher chance of it directly hitting the US than a week ago, and a 6-week period seems like a significant amount of time for this thing to get out of control.

I’m cruising the same week as you, out of San Diego. A couple of weeks ago I thought there was no way my cruise would be affected. Now with the outbreaks in Italy, Iran, etc. I’m more worried. My main concern would be—what if community transmission starts happening here in CA or Mexico, where my cruise is going. Will DCL cancel? It seems like a lot could happen in 5-6 weeks.

I’m cruising the same week as you, out of San Diego. A couple of weeks ago I thought there was no way my cruise would be affected. Now with the outbreaks in Italy, Iran, etc. I’m more worried. My main concern would be—what if community transmission starts happening here in CA or Mexico, where my cruise is going. Will DCL cancel? It seems like a lot could happen in 5-6 weeks.
DCL will issue you a full refund.

DCL will issue you a full refund.

Yes, I know they will refund me if they cancel.

I’m wondering what their criteria would be for them to cancel a cruise, and I’m more concerned about what happens if they don’t cancel but the virus has become more widespread in CA or Mexico. I would then have to figure out my risk tolerance as I wouldn’t get a refund if I choose to cancel. All hypotheticals at this point but I tend to overthink things.

Yes, I know they will refund me if they cancel.

I’m wondering what their criteria would be for them to cancel a cruise, and I’m more concerned about what happens if they don’t cancel but the virus has become more widespread in CA or Mexico. I would then have to figure out my risk tolerance as I wouldn’t get a refund if I choose to cancel. All hypotheticals at this point but I tend to overthink things.
That's totally up to you. You're not going to get your money refunded unless you have "cancel for any reason insurance" and even then it's only 75%, I hope you go... enjoy your cruise.

Delta was allowing me to change my flight to northern Italy ( don’t fly until May ) with a waived change fee. Problem was I had to pay the flight difference which was expensive and also there is no point of me changing it now since who knows what will happen in May. I could change to another destination but again, it might be there in May also

So I’m keeping it for now, and hoping for the best.

Our own media think we are the worst at everything. I sure am tired of the CDC getting so much flak over what they've been doing. And I am a small-government type of person, but I think that's been money very well-spent.
Not just inside the US, it is also the perception in my country. The image we get of American health care through media (as in newspapers, but also movies etc), is that people have to fill in all the paperwork first before you get treated, regardless if it is a cold or bleeding to death from a gunshot wound.

In my country (still virus-free) our CDC had an interview in the newspapers this morning about how prepared we are. According to him, we are ready. Apparently my country does a lot of research epidemic diseases. So let's hope that helps.

They are now focussing on equipping all the hospitals etc. But the most important is making sure all have the right and up to date information. He said the biggest enemy in this case is fake news and panic.

I am still not concerned about the virus coming to my country (will be a matter of time), or getting the disease. Until now we had quarantines at home for those coming back from Wuhan, so, every time I go grocery shopping, I take some extra supplies with me. In case panic does break out and people start clearing out the stores.

Not just inside the US, it is also the perception in my country. The image we get of American health care through media (as in newspapers, but also movies etc), is that people have to fill in all the paperwork first before you get treated, regardless if it is a cold or bleeding to death from a gunshot wound.

In my country (still virus-free) our CDC had an interview in the newspapers this morning about how prepared we are. According to him, we are ready. Apparently my country does a lot of research epidemic diseases. So let's hope that helps.

They are now focussing on equipping all the hospitals etc. But the most important is making sure all have the right and up to date information. He said the biggest enemy in this case is fake news and panic.

I am still not concerned about the virus coming to my country (will be a matter of time), or getting the disease. Until now we had quarantines at home for those coming back from Wuhan, so, every time I go grocery shopping, I take some extra supplies with me. In case panic does break out and people start clearing out the stores.
Weird that they have that perception. That’s no how it’s depicted in American movies or tv shows. They will ask you to fill out paper work if your sitting one the ER waiting. If you’re critical that is certainly not the case. Most of the paper work is questions about your medical history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter