Overweight at Disneyland

UncleScroogeLukyDime

Earning My Ears
Hello, I hope someone can help me. I am overweight, 5' 4" I weigh 240,size 20, 44-43-52. Are there any rides that will not accomdate me at Disneyland or CA. I woudl like to avoid any possible humiliating problems with rides. I appreciate any encouragement or tips.

I was close to that when I was pregnant with my 2nd daughter (I had reached 220 and I'm 5'3" - I stayed at 200 for almost a year after, too.) and I still found most things comfortable to ride. For the most part, if you don't have any problem bending and lowering yourself into things, (I think the Small World, Jungle Cruise Boats, the 4 Mountain Coaster/flume log rides, etc are the best examples of what I mean by lowering yourself to a level below the platform that you are currently standing on) you should be fine. The Autopia Cars ride low, too.

You have the blessing of size. Not being tall, from what I have heard, tall folks at higher weights have many more issues with shoulder harnesses and the like. I also know they have seatbelt extenders for some rides, too, like Indy. You can always ask the CM at each attraction what they can do to make your experience more enjoyable.

The Nemo seats are a bit of a squish, but you can always choose the disabled experience if you feel claustrophobic. The teacups depend on where you carry most of your weight. If it is in the pear shape range, you may have a small issue but duck and slide. If you are in the overall-earth-mother category, they you might have a tight sqeeze in the stomach. The Fantasyland dark rides might be a little tight in the tummy, too.

Hope that helps - I know more folks will chime in with their experiences at different weight levels.

You'll be fine! I'm 5'9" and was a few sizes bigger than you are now, at that point my only issues were the Rockets (narrow) and Mulholland Madness. I couldn't get the lap bar to lock down on MM, which was quite embarassing and I have yet to go back and try it again. The Nemo subs are tight, but the seats are very narrow whether you're overweight or not. Although, at a size 22/24, I was still able to do it without being too uncomfortable. The only one I haven't tried is the Maliboomer, so I don't really have advice for that. It's not my size that keeps me away from that one, though - it's just not my thing. DLR is very accommodating for bigger people, so I really don't think you need to be worried.

Go and have a MAGICAL time! :wizard:

I weighed about 307 top weight and your height so here are the ones that you need to watch out for.

Nemo
You will have not problem with the and my friend and I just hung over a bit on the seat next to us. I easily fit through the hatch and could add 100 pounds and still go through.

Astro Orbiter
You sit flat on your rump so it is hard to stand up and get out. I think you would fit fine but be warned that you may find it hard to get out. Sit on you floor at home and then try getting up with sofa as the side of the ride. That is the only ride I really can say I almost got stuck on.

Bobsleds
I have seen people near 500 pounds wedged into those and you can ask for on seat per person and you will not be alone in asking for that. I have been riding that for 49 years.

Barnstormer
I rode that 5 years ago and fit fine but we are short, lol. For an overweight person of 6 feet it would be way cramped for us who are shorter it is fine and a leg issue.

Orange Stinger
I was having a panic attack on that ride and would have been cussing but for the fear overwhelming. I have a fear of falling and while that is a fun ride the seating made for a freak out. I need to feel secure in order to do such types of rides. They are tiny swing seats that go out from under you as you sit and yes i did splat hard. They now allow anyone on the ride even though the old weight limit was 200 or 250. You should be able to smoosh your rump into the seat fine but also have to raise then lower the safety bar and then strap or something in the leg. NEVER EVER AGAIN unless they put in nice secure seats, i am phobic and that blew my mind.

Jumpin Jellyfish
400 pound total weight, fun and no problems for me ever, will miss it.

I cannot do Indy, Autopia and Mullholland Madness due to back problems THEY HURT OUCH. That is the ones I can think of and the rest are fined for someone your petite size.

I am exactly your numbers. The rockets in Tomorrow land are tight and Mullholland. Other then that you are good to go! Have fun.

My hubby agrees with Mullholland in DCa and adds that in DL the Pooh rides lap bar was too tight for him, even in a hive seat by himself. That's why he never rides with the boy because the lap bar isn't tight enough for the boy with his Pooh sized frame with him.

Count yourselves lucky, at 6'5" and 220, I have to fold up in most rides, making many rides very uncomfortable, especially the smaller rides with kids. :)

I will agree with everyone I dont do the rockets because I dont like them but I fit fine and Im about your size give or take a pound or 2 lol.... I have never had an issue with Mullholland and I love this ride.... :) Story book canal is a scary one for me as everyone stands at once to offload but if you have some who hesitate and you dont boat tends to rock violently and I have feared being dumped out but it has yet to stop me from riding...lol.. Splash can be a bit tough to get out of as you sit low and have to use walls and rails to stand and can be hard for those who are a bit weak but I say try everything once if you are uncomfortable, dont ride it again I have never let my Pooh size stop me from trying anything i wanted to do

I'm 5'11, was a size 22 when we visited and was uncomfortable only on Mullholland Madness and Space Mountain. The harness wasn't the issue on Space Mountain, rather I'm more legs than body and my knees felt rather squished. Everything else we did was fine.

You will be fine on just about everything. I would NOT do the stinger or jellyfish, but that is me. I did not do astro orbiter, but I rode everything else with no problems. I am 5'9 and heavier than you are.

Have a great time.

I weighed about 307 top weight and your height so here are the ones that you need to watch out for.

Nemo
You will have not problem with the and my friend and I just hung over a bit on the seat next to us. I easily fit through the hatch and could add 100 pounds and still go through.

Astro Orbiter
You sit flat on your rump so it is hard to stand up and get out. I think you would fit fine but be warned that you may find it hard to get out. Sit on you floor at home and then try getting up with sofa as the side of the ride. That is the only ride I really can say I almost got stuck on.

Bobsleds
I have seen people near 500 pounds wedged into those and you can ask for on seat per person and you will not be alone in asking for that. I have been riding that for 49 years.

Barnstormer
I rode that 5 years ago and fit fine but we are short, lol. For an overweight person of 6 feet it would be way cramped for us who are shorter it is fine and a leg issue.

Orange Stinger
I was having a panic attack on that ride and would have been cussing but for the fear overwhelming. I have a fear of falling and while that is a fun ride the seating made for a freak out. I need to feel secure in order to do such types of rides. They are tiny swing seats that go out from under you as you sit and yes i did splat hard. They now allow anyone on the ride even though the old weight limit was 200 or 250. You should be able to smoosh your rump into the seat fine but also have to raise then lower the safety bar and then strap or something in the leg. NEVER EVER AGAIN unless they put in nice secure seats, i am phobic and that blew my mind.

Jumpin Jellyfish
400 pound total weight, fun and no problems for me ever, will miss it.

I cannot do Indy, Autopia and Mullholland Madness due to back problems THEY HURT OUCH. That is the ones I can think of and the rest are fined for someone your petite size.

Did you ride Screamin or tower of terror?

Thank you to each and everyone that replied. I am very nimble for my size so I think I will be good. I am wondering specifically about California Screamin and Tower of Terror and Maliboomer. Thanks to anyone else that might be able to answer to these.

One of my pooh-sized friends got this tip from a WDW CM and passed it on to be before my first trip with my older son. (Single mom's just gotta do it...I wasn't going to put a 4 year old in a car alone!) Have your kiddo sit down. Then grab onto the lap bar and, as you sit down, pull it down with you. Yes, you will be squished, but it will fit down tight across your legs and your kiddo will be safe.

I'd never used this on a "big" ride until last year. My then-6-year old and I road Big Thunder. It was amazing how tight you could get that bar by pulling it with you instead of waiting until after you were seated! He was completely safe!

Thank you to each and everyone that replied. I am very nimble for my size so I think I will be good. I am wondering specifically about California Screamin and Tower of Terror and Maliboomer. Thanks to anyone else that might be able to answer to these.

You will be fine. I know there are some issues with taller/wider shoulder people on the Maliboomer with the harness coming down to latch, but since you are shorter, I don't see a problem. DBF's brother and father who are big and tall (around 6'1", almost 300 lbs) had no issues. Same with CA Screaming. On TOT you had a seat belt across your lap, so you should also have no problem here.

Also, the walking in the parks may wreak havoc on your feet and legs if you are not used to walking... I was size 18 the last time we went, and found the walking around to be very difficult; thank goodness for advil/motrin, etc., is all I can say. I swear that taking that must have really helped a great deal. (I took it once or twice a day.) You might want to look up some of the 'sore feet' threads here, too, as there are some great ideas. :worship:

I too feel that Mulholland Madness can be a tight squeeze with the lap bar. (I was size 18 when we went, and am 5'5".) I also found that in Universal Studios, you have to watch on the Jurassic Park ride as some of the ride attendants will push the bar down too low (for several riders in one row) and once it is locked in, it's a horrible way to have to ride that ride! :eek::headache:

ENJOY!!! There are so many rides that you will feel so comfortable on. :)

OK what with my being quite the expert on the subject of regaining weight .... :faint:
I am 5 feet 8 inch's. And I have a larger frame (Skeleton) then their is the weight (Blah) and my sizing all depends upon the cut of the clothing, like it does for anyone of course. Anyway, (Sorry, it can take me a bit of time to get to the point ;) ) I can wear anything from a size 16 to a 24 or larger. Frankly, I really dislike how clothing manufacturers do not cut their patterns according to a universal size guide. Anyway..... I have no problem with fitting comfortably while riding Indy, or HM, Matterhorn, nor Pirates, BTMRR, IASW, Jungle Cruise.
Nemo I will probably never go on, because I have had to come to the realization that for the past several years now, and holding, I have become somewhat claustrophobic. So if Nemo can ever become hot and crowded, I would most likely need to leave before the ride was finished. Yeah, I know, what a woos. Those are the rides that I normally go on. Especially HM and Pirates, and I love as well, The Enchanted Tiki Room.
TOT, not sure if it is a matter of not being my most ideal weight again, (Ugh) or the way I figure it, it does not matter, when it comes to the subject of, for myself after the second to the last drop (Thank god) I felt light headed, and like cookie tossing might happen. I was looking around at that point, to see if I could get off now! Nope, not that I could determine. While this being the case, I was thinking please ride stop. Then one more drop (E gads) then over. What a relief. I enjoyed the ride itself, but at some point during that ride, feeling that way, it is highly unlikely I will ever ride it again. As I was walking off of the ride, I was light headed still, and for about one hour there after. (UGH!!)
Unless I drop the weight again, I most likely will not ride TOT again, anyway.

Good grief, I just realized that I accidentally included in the sentence of what I normally ride, being IASW. I was not a chunky kid. As an adult, I have not visited IASW yet. Because as we all know, the theme can become quite the ear worm! :faint: ;) he he It's a small world after all, It's a small world after all, OMG! Now stop that at once, Cartman! Hey go blow it out your @#@#!

I just wanted to add a few things. My sister is almost 6ft and was at approx a 24 last time we went and so far we only had two things come up. The first is she found out not all of the Space Mountain seats fit the same. They had issues latching her bar in a back seat but switched us to a front row in another car and no problems and she was happier because she also felt she had more leg room.

The next issues was in the old days of MM. I am not petite myself but in our culture I am just above normal (5'9" size 14) we had serious issues due to the shared lap bar. Now since MM switched to individual bars we have had a lot less issues. Now if the thing wasn't a nightmare on my neck I would probably ride it again hahah!

I want to say that overall Disney is really amazing about dealing with issues like this in a very nice and unembarassing way. They really try to set up all their rides to work for all of their guests. Go have fun and enjoy the rides!!

Fairy cat,

At your being 5 feet 9 inches and a size 14, I see you as being a very normal and great weight, especially for your height.
The ridiculous fashion industry considers a size 12, the starting point of so called plus sizing (I so detest that term) anyway, it is also ridiculous,because when I wore a size 13/14 I was much thinner from what I currently am. I had maybe 10 or 15 pounds at the time to lose, at the very most. And you are taller from myself, so you should look just great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter