Overweight at Disneyland

I too am a pooh sized, my DH is too. We have been able to ride everything we wanted. One thing I do is I always pull out the seat belt before I sit down. The only place I have problems with the seat belt is on Star Tours. The arm is usually in the way and I have trouble finding the slot to put the seat belt into. It's not a problem of the belt fitting, I just can't ever find the hole on that ride.

I haven't tried the mailiboomer, orange stinger or jelly fish. I just wasn't that interested in them. I think the TOT covers all that for me :) I love that ride!

Are there any rides specific to Walt Disney World Florida that should be a problem for larger sizes..
I haven't had any issues at WDW either. All ears has a WDW at large section that has a lot of info in it.
http://allears.net/tp/ridsiz.htm

One of my pooh-sized friends got this tip from a WDW CM and passed it on to be before my first trip with my older son. (Single mom's just gotta do it...I wasn't going to put a 4 year old in a car alone!) Have your kiddo sit down. Then grab onto the lap bar and, as you sit down, pull it down with you. Yes, you will be squished, but it will fit down tight across your legs and your kiddo will be safe.

I'd never used this on a "big" ride until last year. My then-6-year old and I road Big Thunder. It was amazing how tight you could get that bar by pulling it with you instead of waiting until after you were seated! He was completely safe!

THANK YOU!!! That sounds like it would be great and I think it could help a lot of parents--- pooh sized or not. I know I'm going to use it.

You will be fine. I know there are some issues with taller/wider shoulder people on the Maliboomer with the harness coming down to latch, but since you are shorter, I don't see a problem. DBF's brother and father who are big and tall (around 6'1", almost 300 lbs) had no issues. Same with CA Screaming. On TOT you had a seat belt across your lap, so you should also have no problem here.

When I was on the Mailiboomer a couple of months ago, there was a gentleman who wasn't able to get his to latch. The cast members had me change places with him and he was fine. So, it appears that there are different sized seats on that one as well. FYI, I was originally sitting on a far left seat and switched to the far right.

At over 400lbs there are some Disneyland rides I have avoided for fear of mot fitting or the ride not working right, ie. Dumbo. I had heard stories, urban legends I guess, about larger guests getting on Dumbo and not having him fly.
Well yesterday was my birthday and I decided I was going to try Dumbo anyway... and it was AMAZING! Dumbo flew and i laughed like a little kid the whole time. Moral of the story for me was I'll never know if something will work if I don't try it out! :-)

Figured this was the appropriate thread to post this in! :-)

Moral of the story for me was I'll never know if something will work if I don't try it out!

So very true at that!

I am glad that you had a blast! And Most Happy Belated Birthday To You! :flower:

When I was on the Mailiboomer a couple of months ago, there was a gentleman who wasn't able to get his to latch. The cast members had me change places with him and he was fine. So, it appears that there are different sized seats on that one as well. FYI, I was originally sitting on a far left seat and switched to the far right.

That is VERY good to know.

It's hubby's big "I must ride this" ride, b/c he knows that as long as he's married to me, DCA is the only place he'll be "allowed" to go on a ride like that (no fairs, no 6 flags, nothing else is trusted enough by me other than disney).

Alas, b/c of his belly and his back (he has a thick back, from front to back, if that makes sense) they have been unable to latch the strap into the seat, after getting the harness down. He was about half an inch away from latching last time he tried, which was about a year ago, and he's lost more weight since then. So we are hopeful.

Thankfully the CMs have NEVER been rude about it, nor have they been overtly embarrassed FOR him. They have been professional and matter of fact, which means that even though he's embarrassed about it, he's never been made to feel embarrassed by someone else, and that is invaluable.

Anyway, it's good to know that some seats are different than others. I'll let him know!

At over 400lbs there are some Disneyland rides I have avoided for fear of mot fitting or the ride not working right, ie. Dumbo. I had heard stories, urban legends I guess, about larger guests getting on Dumbo and not having him fly.
Well yesterday was my birthday and I decided I was going to try Dumbo anyway... and it was AMAZING! Dumbo flew and i laughed like a little kid the whole time. Moral of the story for me was I'll never know if something will work if I don't try it out! :-)

YAY!!!!!!!

I am posting an update, I went to Disneyland and California Adventure. I rode EVERYRIDE without exception and fit fine. As previously posted I am 5'4 if I would have been taller might have had trouble with knee space on space mountain. I hope this will encourage those that are worried about size. The only ride that was a little tight was the orange stinger, hip area, I only had a little wiggle room. :banana:

That's really good to know, thank you! :goodvibes

:yay: Good for you!!! :cloud9:

I am 360 pds and size 30/32.
The only rides I have a problem on are Indy Jones (tights on the thighs) :scared1:, mulholland madness, and astro orbiter. Otherwise, everything else is fine.

have a great time

On my last trip I weighed in at 240 lbs. and 5'7" tall. The only issue I had was the Pooh ride, believe it or not. DD loves Pooh so we rode it. I did not have problem fitting in the seat, but I was very uncomfortable and felt squished. Could not wait for it to end so that I could breathe again, lol. Hoping that since I am down 25 lbs. PLus what I lose before July trip, I will fit more comfortably this time. Yikes!

Did you sit in the front? The front seat on Pooh is much tighter than the second or third rows. That is also good to know if you have knee or hip problems as well, b/c the first row is that much harder to get into or out of.

So if you were in the first row, try a different row next time, see if it's different. :)

I just wanted to give you a hug and say.. Have a great vacation and make lots of happy memories!:hug:

Did you sit in the front? The front seat on Pooh is much tighter than the second or third rows. That is also good to know if you have knee or hip problems as well, b/c the first row is that much harder to get into or out of.

So if you were in the first row, try a different row next time, see if it's different. :)

Come to think of it, I was in the front, will try the back row this time,lol!

it really comes down to how you pack your weight on the body.

like me for example, i am considered overweight by the average standard. at 5'10 weighing 240. but i am also kinda built for what i do, ( i am a heavyweight boxer, and used to be a linemen) so i do not appear fat or obese, just thicker and broader.
i have never had a problem with getting on a ride at Disneyland. so it really comes down to how your body holds the extra weight.
Men and Women also tend to hold weight differently.

I'm about 5'10 and 300 pounds. I'm built like a football player. The only ride that I had felt uncomfortable on was muholland madness. Not enough leg room.

Hi, new here! My partner and I are headed to DL in February. We are travelling from Vancouver, BC (land of the fat-phobic yoga yuppies) and I am *petrified* of not fitting. I am 6'2" 340lbs and I can't ride anything with a shoulder harness at our local amusement park PlayLand. I haven't been to DL as a kid where I fit everything. I carry my weight mostly in my stomach and on my lower back. Any ideas? I hate getting kicked off rides, it's mortifying.

5-9 and 300# here....fit on every ride at DLCA and WDW in 2010 and WDW in 2012.

wish i could say the same for UOIA

I'm 6' 6" tall and weighed 365 lbs at my heaviest. The only ride that ever gave me any trouble was Space Mountain, and it wasn't because of my weight. I had to fold my legs in an uncomfortable position in order to get into the car and once I got in I was unable to lower the lap bar. I was removed from the ride at the dispatch brakes (the last set of brakes before entering the roller coaster. It was rather embarrassing!

Rick

Hi, new here! My partner and I are headed to DL in February. We are travelling from Vancouver, BC (land of the fat-phobic yoga yuppies) and I am *petrified* of not fitting. I am 6'2" 340lbs and I can't ride anything with a shoulder harness at our local amusement park PlayLand. I haven't been to DL as a kid where I fit everything. I carry my weight mostly in my stomach and on my lower back. Any ideas? I hate getting kicked off rides, it's mortifying.

DH is shorter and heavier than you, and shoulder harnesses have NOT been a problem. If he doesn't move his arms very carefully he can get stuck with an arm up while loading Screamin', but the CMs will see that, release the harness, and you can start over.

Goofy's Sky School (formerly known as Mulholland Madness) is one of the two rides he was never able to ride. If you have big tree trunk legs AND a belly, I wouldn't even try Sky School, honestly. Not worth the embarrassment. And you have to board that ride in *seconds* or it causes problems, so you're frantically trying to squeeze in...it's not fun. It's just the way the lap bar works on that ride.

(the other ride DH couldn't do isn't there anymore)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter