Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm always confused when people say you're paying for what used to be free. There was free breakfast? Free snacks? 0-5 minute waits?

I was talking about fast passes in the normal part of the day. Lugnut is the one that brought up the extra-hour paid events.

I find those to be leagues cheaper. Six Flags have annual passes for less than a day ticket (I just paid $55 for mine this year, and it was $109 to include meals for the year as well). Cedar Point was $110 for admission and line skipping for the day (or $40 for just the ticket if staying at their hotel). And for the most part finding hotels near those that are “deluxe level” can be difficult. And souvenirs and food I’ve found to be much cheaper.

You can bring the cost of Disney down by managing things in some ways, but other parks beyond Universal are usually in a very different price range in my experience. But they also tend to deliver an inferior product as far as theming and immersion goes, and in many cases, ride and attraction quality. We pay a premium over most parks for the better overall product.

The price of Disney admission for my family broken down per day (we get the 10 day) is approximately $50. Our zoo, which is not an incredible one by any stretch, is a little less than half that. It’s maybe half a day of activity if you stretch it, and it’s leagues and I mean LEAGUES lower than a Disney park. We have season tickets to our local NHL team, and our ticket holder cost is about $100 per seat per game, mid range seats. That’s a few hours of entertainment. That’s premium entertainment for a premium price, kind of like Disney.

Disney is not cheap, and I am not happy with the rumour at all especially with it continuing the trend of paying more for what was previously included, but almost all entertainment is pricy when you start paying for a family. In my opinion at least.

I just don’t think you can compare a Disney vacation to a more low key vacation. They’re totally different. That’s all I’m getting at.

Regarding economic downturns, it was just about 10 years ago we vacationed at Disney, staying at Pop. It was one of my first Disney trips as an adult. We had a room in the 50's section overlooking Hourglass Lake. I found it so strange and not at all magical to have a view of an abandoned, hollowed out shell of a resort. Of course, that abandoned shell was supposed to be the first half of what should now be called "Pop Half Century" because the first half of the century was never completed and eventually became Art of Animation after years of sitting around abandoned and unfinished. My point is, Disney shouldn't get too cocky thinking they can do anything they want and people will keep flocking there. Economic downturns will happen again, and it's easy to forget that during an upswing.

Regarding economic downturns, it was just about 10 years ago we vacationed at Disney, staying at Pop. It was one of my first Disney trips as an adult. We had a room in the 50's section overlooking Hourglass Lake. I found it so strange and not at all magical to have a view of an abandoned, hollowed out shell of a resort. Of course, that abandoned shell was supposed to be the first half of what should now be called "Pop Half Century" because the first half of the century was never completed and eventually became Art of Animation after years of sitting around abandoned and unfinished. My point is, Disney shouldn't get too cocky thinking they can do anything they want and people will keep flocking there. Economic downturns will happen again, and it's easy to forget that during an upswing.
Preach it. Preach it. As much as I love the World, I am afraid they might become too big for their britches at some point. Maybe they won't. Maybe they will still retain a good bit of magic for future generations to love. I am gonna think that they will. I will keep hoping for that.

We just got back from a week vacation to Albuquerque. It was a third of the cost of our Disney trips. We ate at fun restaurants, we climbed mesas, and went to museums. The kids saw a real place and enjoyed learning about the history and wildlife in the western US. They were entertained the whole time.

We don't have to do Disney. We have all enjoyed going there but if our finances changed as we weren't able to go tomorrow or decided the value wasnt there, the options for other places to vacation is literally unlimited. And there are a lot of options (especially if you are willing to go somewhere that isn't a typical tourist destination) are quite a bit less expensive.

Our family is flying into Albuquerque this August. We are going to Albuquerque, Arizona, Grand Canyon and Vegas, a 2 week trip. Our children will be 10, 16, 16. Can you recommend your favorite things to do in Albuquerque??? Thank you.

I’m not sure where these ppl vacation that is so much cheaper. But, I understand if something like they’re ppl who can’t afford to vacation at all. Value is one thing if you don’t like what you get for the $. But wdw is no more (and often less) expensive than other destinations.

"I'm not sure where ppl vacation that is so much cheaper..."

Our family budgets for 1 vacation per year. These have been our family vacations over the past 5 years (family of 8):

-3 week road trip through Western U.S. and Canada, staying at nice hotels each night and visiting National Parks, eating out at least once per day, museums, etc.,: $6,000.00

-2 week road trip to the East Coast of Canada and the U.S., staying in vacation homes and eating out lots / seeing lots of entertainment, etc.:
$5500.00

-10 day Mediterranean Cruise (not Disney Cruise line) for my husband and I, including flights and all costs:
$6500.00. DCL would have been double this.

-1 week camping vacation in Northern Ontario:
$1000.00

-1 week Disney Vacation, driving down, staying offsite and eating out only once per day, spending only 4 days actually in Disney Parks:
$9,000.00. If we had stayed onsite and spent all 7 days in the parks, that cost would have been $15,000.00.

Disney Vacations are, hands down, the most expensive vacations we've ever taken. I can totally understand why there is a general view that it's one of the most expensive places to visit: because it is ;) . Paid fp's would make it even more off the charts. I love Disney, but to say it's comparable to other vacation price points just isn't true for us. We've also priced out flying to all-inclusive resorts in Jamaica, Cuba, etc., and they all come in cheaper than Disney.

Last edited:
Our family is flying into Albuquerque this August. We are going to Albuquerque, Arizona, Grand Canyon and Vegas, a 2 week trip. Our children will be 10, 16, 16. Can you recommend your favorite things to do in Albuquerque??? Thank you.
If you go up to Page in Arizona, schedule the Antelope Canyon tour. Loved it and best pics!

Back to paid FP discussions

Our family budgets for 1 vacation per year. These have been our family vacations over the past 5 years (family of 8):

-3 week road trip through Western U.S. and Canada, staying at nice hotels each night and visiting National Parks, eating out at least once per day, museums, etc.,: $6,000.00

-2 week road trip to the East Coast of Canada and the U.S., staying in vacation homes and eating out lots / seeing lots of entertainment, etc.:
$5500.00

-10 day Mediterranean Cruise (not Disney Cruise line) for my husband and I, including flights and all costs:
$6500.00. DCL would have been double this.

-1 week camping vacation in Northern Ontario:
$1000.00

-1 week Disney Vacation, driving down, staying offsite and eating out only once per day, spending only 4 days actually in Disney Parks:
$9,000.00. If we had stayed onsite and spent all 7 days in the parks, that cost would have been $15,000.00.

Disney Vacations are, hands down, the most expensive vacations we've ever taken. I can totally understand why there is a general view that it's one of the most expensive places to visit: because it is ;) . Paid fp's would make it even more off the charts. I love Disney, but to say it's comparable to other vacation price points just isn't true for us. We've also priced out flying to all-inclusive resorts in Jamaica, Cuba, etc., and they all come in cheaper than Disney.
I think it must depend on family size & what part of the country you’re starting from (as far as travel costs). We never spend anywhere close to that per trip. Our current trip at Contemporary for 7 nights (6 park days) in July will be $6000 including all TS dining for all meals each day & airfare. We are just a family of 3 & DS is under 3 so that helps. Family traveling with us is staying at pop & for 3 adults for the same time including deluxe dining plan & airfare is about $5000. I think the biggest cost of most vacations is usually the hotel. So it would likely cost us close to what you spent on the non wdw vacations b/c the hotel costs would be similar. Park admission is obviously the bulk of your expense for wdw trips.

We are not cruise, beach, or camping ppl so that’s all I know that we have priced to be cheaper. The places we like to go Hawaii, California, NYC, Europe, etc. all cost way more for how we like to travel.

ETA: We always go to WDW with discounts.

I think it must depend on family size & what part of the country you’re starting from (as far as travel costs). We never spend anywhere close to that per trip. Our current trip at Contemporary for 7 nights (6 park days) in July will be $6000 including all TS dining for all meals each day & airfare. We are just a family of 3 & DS is under 3 so that helps. Family traveling with us is staying at pop & for 3 adults for the same time including deluxe dining plan & airfare is about $5000. I think the biggest cost of most vacations is usually the hotel. So it would likely cost us close to what you spent on the non wdw vacations b/c the hotel costs would be similar. Park admission is obviously the bulk of your expense for wdw trips.

We are not cruise, beach, or camping ppl so that’s all I know that we have priced to be cheaper. The places we like to go Hawaii, California, NYC, Europe, etc. all cost way more for how we like to travel.

ETA: We always go to WDW with discounts.
Yes, we always get discounted tickets (Canadian multi-day deal) and stay in very inexpensive lodging. And it costs us about $800.00 total to get there by driving. Taking your numbers, you are spending between $1500-$2000.00 per person for your Disney Vacation - which will increase significantly once your son turns 3. That is actually more than it costs our family to go to Disney, per person. Family size does matter, but in our case we are still doing it for cheaper than a smaller family, per person.

So, Disney does comes out pretty high price wise for any sized family. I understand that Hawaii or Europe could be costlier depending on how you do it, but my post was in answer to your question as to how anyone could possibly find a cheaper vacation to Disney. There's a whole world out there to explore that costs much less :)

Have fun in July - colour me jealous!

I experienced late EMH during spring break in 2009 and it was definitely nice but I don't remember everything being walk on except for the teacups.

We paid for an extra hours event another 9 years before this and even then there were still some waits involved, particularly earlier in the extra hours. (It *was* way cheaper, then, let me tell you. ;) But inflation happens, and it happens faster at Disney. ;) )

Totally agree. Disney is a luxury vacation and always has been IMO. When I was a kid we went to the beach every year but my parents couldn't afford Disney. Heck I couldn't afford it (at least the way we want to go) until I was 35 years old. It's WAY more expensive than our past vacations to Myrtle Beach, the Outer Banks, and Mexico. I can stay at a very nice beachfront resort for a week and still be at 1/4 of what our first Disney trip cost. My husband and I will never tell anyone how much we spend on WDW because we're almost embarrassed about what they will think, even though it's our money and we can afford it. Our next trip in September is the total opposite of the last one (staying at POP and with no extra bells & whistles) and is still running us thousands more than a beach trip. We don't talk about it with coworkers and friends/family because at least where we live, it's an extravagant/showy vacation.

I'm hoping they do a MaxPass type of thing and not charge TOO much for extra FPs. We plan to do Disney every year until we get priced out, too. When that happens, Myrtle Beach here we come!

I think a lot of the incidentals for a trip to Disney World can be a lot cheaper than elsewhere. For example, if I wanted to visit Arches National Park in Utah which is extremely inexpensive to get into (20 dollars for a week pass for park entry), my family of three would end up spending 9 hours traveling via plane for a price of over 620 dollars per ticket. Flying to MCO from my airport costs us about 300 dollars a piece maximum and I can often even upgrade my flight to first class for less than 100 dollars per person (and we get there in less than 3 hours). Renting a car at MCO is considerably cheaper and isn't restrictive to the number of miles driven...when you get out somewhere where they are renting fewer cars, the cost per day can be considerably higher and they have strict limits on how many miles you can drive before you start paying by the mile. I don't even need to rent a car to go to Disney World, I most certainly do to travel to somewhere like a National Park that's hundreds of miles from the closest airport. If I chose to drive myself, it would be multiple days worth of vacation time spent on just driving across mostly flat and boring landscapes and additional hotel/gas money. So there are tradeoffs. Once I get to Arches, I'm still paying about 150-200 dollars a night for a hotel, and the food can still be relatively pricey if we don't stick to just fast food. I really think it all depends on what you're near and how you value your time. I try to do a trip to a National Park every year and all of the ones within driving distance of my house (less than 14 hours) we've been to. This is the first time when I've thought "this just costs too much". I'd end up spending about 3800 dollars for a 5 day trip for my family of three. Which averages out to about 250 dollars per person per day. For my upcoming trip to Disney World we're staying at Contempory, having a rental car, dining plan is costing me about 320 dollars per person per day. So not loads more expensive.

I think a lot of the incidentals for a trip to Disney World can be a lot cheaper than elsewhere. For example, if I wanted to visit Arches National Park in Utah which is extremely inexpensive to get into (20 dollars for a week pass for park entry), my family of three would end up spending 9 hours traveling via plane for a price of over 620 dollars per ticket. Flying to MCO from my airport costs us about 300 dollars a piece maximum and I can often even upgrade my flight to first class for less than 100 dollars per person (and we get there in less than 3 hours). Renting a car at MCO is considerably cheaper and isn't restrictive to the number of miles driven...when you get out somewhere where they are renting fewer cars, the cost per day can be considerably higher and they have strict limits on how many miles you can drive before you start paying by the mile. I don't even need to rent a car to go to Disney World, I most certainly do to travel to somewhere like a National Park that's hundreds of miles from the closest airport. If I chose to drive myself, it would be multiple days worth of vacation time spent on just driving across mostly flat and boring landscapes and additional hotel/gas money. So there are tradeoffs. Once I get to Arches, I'm still paying about 150-200 dollars a night for a hotel, and the food can still be relatively pricey if we don't stick to just fast food. I really think it all depends on what you're near and how you value your time. I try to do a trip to a National Park every year and all of the ones within driving distance of my house (less than 14 hours) we've been to. This is the first time when I've thought "this just costs too much". I'd end up spending about 3800 dollars for a 5 day trip for my family of three. Which averages out to about 250 dollars per person per day. For my upcoming trip to Disney World we're staying at Contempory, having a rental car, dining plan is costing me about 320 dollars per person per day. So not loads more expensive.

Yes exactly. I was pricing out a trip to Grand Canyon/Hoover Dam and it was crazy expensive for us just to travel there, around and back. We are spoiled by Disney transportation! We live close enough to Orlando that our flights are pretty cheap.

I've started our budget for a D.C. trip and I said, "well how the heck are we going to get to the hotel from the airport??" LOL SPOILED.

Comparing apples to apples I still don’t think Disney is outrageously priced, just kind of. It’s just that most other vacations don’t involve going to expensive entertainment venues on the daily. Try to plan a trip where you and your family go to an NHL game every day, a concert every day, where you go to even a lower quality amusement park daily, where you eat out at somewhat good quality restaurants for every meal, it adds up fast. I think it’s still in the same ballpark as that kind of stuff, especially if you aren’t staying at $300+ a night resorts.

I don’t think comparing it to vacations where you spend time relaxing at a resort, or sightseeing is entirely accurate. Maybe I’m just jaded because most entertainment is so expensive when you’ve got a family.

Disney is not a cheap vacation, but it’s not alone. You know?
Disney is more expensive than many vacations. We pay because we can and because I love it and my son loves it. But we were able to do a 9 day cruise with Royal Caribbean for about a third of what we're spending to go to WDW in December. (Granted we're staying CL and AKL, but still.) There are other just as entertaining options out there.

Disney is more expensive than many vacations. We pay because we can and because I love it and my son loves it. But we were able to do a 9 day cruise with Royal Caribbean for about a third of what we're spending to go to WDW in December. (Granted we're staying CL and AKL, but still.) There are other just as entertaining options out there.

Of course there are options out there that are just as enjoyable and cheaper.

But apples to apples, I don’t think WDW is that insanely priced, I think it’s pretty much in line with other premium entertainment, especially when you’re just talking ticket cost (as resort options vary so greatly from inexpensive offsite options to insanely priced Poly bungalows).

What investments are those? A couple of rides here and there that have had budget cuts to the point where they are less than what they could be, while the competition is running circles around Disney right now?

Actually it does make sense to continue giving them for free, because the economy will tank at some point, it is the nature of the economy, tourism will drop significantly and they will need to go back to relying on the locals, even at Disney World to pull them through.

If they continue to nickel and dime their guests, especially passholders and other locals, they won't be so forgiving when the economy tanks and will have already moved over to Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, etc. Yes, they may charge some extras that Disney doesn't, but many of them start at 1/4 of the price of Disney.

Disney is no longer the only player in the heavily themed and immersive theme park game and the competition has really been picking up their slack and will continue to do so.

YOU: "What investment are those??"

Not sure what you mean? They've added Fantasy Land, Pandora, Toy Story Land and soon Star Wars?!?!?

Not sure what you would consider "investment" in your opinion? For me I think those are SIGNIFICANT investments that SIGNIFICANTLY expand your vacation time and enjoyment at Disney....

As far as the economy "tanking", as I mentioned - economy is going strong now and they can maximize their ROI as long as that is the case. If things change, they can easily offer the discounts, special promo codes, etc. as they have done in the past....

As far moving to other parks - the size and quality of offerings I think are not comparable to Disney and therefore the cheaper price is warranted. I am sure if Universal could they would charge more - but while they are excellent Theme parks, they don't compare to Disney in scope, quality and overall experience. You can do Universal in two days (maybe one if you use their express pass) try doing ALL of Walt Disney World in two days....you would miss a huge number of things....

Again, it's a business and I think they are managing well, offering more and more things. And I agree as another poster said - overall while Disney is not cheap....there is certainly a great number of things to do and experience for the money you do spend.

Of course there are options out there that are just as enjoyable and cheaper.

But apples to apples, I don’t think WDW is that insanely priced, I think it’s pretty much in line with other premium entertainment, especially when you’re just talking ticket cost (as resort options vary so greatly from inexpensive offsite options to insanely priced Poly bungalows).
And what you prefer to do. I have absolutely no desire to sit on a boat, or a beach or in the woods for a week. None of those are our thing. And like a pp stated, out travel costs to get to the places we would enjoy might be more than someone who lives close to those things. We want to go to Yosemite but will wait to DS is older. But pricing it the way we want to enjoy it, it’s as expensive as wdw.

YOU: "What investment are those??"

Not sure what you mean? They've added Fantasy Land, Pandora, Toy Story Land and soon Star Wars?!?!?

Not sure what you would consider "investment" in your opinion? For me I think those are SIGNIFICANT investments that SIGNIFICANTLY expand your vacation time and enjoyment at Disney....

As far as the economy "tanking", as I mentioned - economy is going strong now and they can maximize their ROI as long as that is the case. If things change, they can easily offer the discounts, special promo codes, etc. as they have done in the past....

As far moving to other parks - the size and quality of offerings I think are not comparable to Disney and therefore the cheaper price is warranted. I am sure if Universal could they would charge more - but while they are excellent Theme parks, they don't compare to Disney in scope, quality and overall experience. You can do Universal in two days (maybe one if you use their express pass) try doing ALL of Walt Disney World in two days....you would miss a huge number of things....

Again, it's a business and I think they are managing well, offering more and more things. And I agree as another poster said - overall while Disney is not cheap....there is certainly a great number of things to do and experience for the money you do spend.

This! I don't understand what people want. 3 new lands, a dozen new rides, new restaurants, new resorts, new transportation. Nothing will ever be good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter