Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it must depend on family size & what part of the country you’re starting from (as far as travel costs). We never spend anywhere close to that per trip. Our current trip at Contemporary for 7 nights (6 park days) in July will be $6000 including all TS dining for all meals each day & airfare. We are just a family of 3 & DS is under 3 so that helps. Family traveling with us is staying at pop & for 3 adults for the same time including deluxe dining plan & airfare is about $5000. I think the biggest cost of most vacations is usually the hotel. So it would likely cost us close to what you spent on the non wdw vacations b/c the hotel costs would be similar. Park admission is obviously the bulk of your expense for wdw trips.

We are not cruise, beach, or camping ppl so that’s all I know that we have priced to be cheaper. The places we like to go Hawaii, California, NYC, Europe, etc. all cost way more for how we like to travel.

ETA: We always go to WDW with discounts.
$5000 for a week at the Pop? That’s a motel. Granted, it’s a nicely themed motel, but it’s a motel. I went to London for a week and on a week long European cruise for $5000.

$5000 for a week at the Pop? That’s a motel. Granted, it’s a nicely themed motel, but it’s a motel. I went to London for a week and on a week long European cruise for $5000.
You went to London for a week with 3 adults for that?? From here, roundtrip airfare alone to London can get close to that for 3 adults. That’s the whole trip including airfare, deluxe dining plan, & park tickets. The hotel piece was under $1000.

3 adults on deluxe dining. That costs way more than a night at Pop, doesn’t it? For 7 nights I bet that’s near half the $5000 :eek:

I wonder if they’ll get lots of backlash? We’ve never used MK evening EMH, but we do use AM. I wonder if those will be even busier.

I hope this means that HS, will get all the evening EMH.
I know they have not been that great lately since they have been so watered down for years now. DAH are way better IF they continue not to oversell.

And I’m guessing they gradually will if it becomes the only late night option.

Look at how packed MNSSHP & MVMCP are now compared to a few years ago.

That's what I've been saying. Guests have come to accept paying extra for those after hours events, so it's only natural they sell more and more tickets to them. It's now part of what you have to do if you're doing DW right.

3 adults on deluxe dining. That costs way more than a night at Pop, doesn’t it? For 7 nights I bet that’s near half the $5000 :eek:
Yes. It’s close to 1/2 of the $5000 but not quite. We don’t eat counter service & do a lot of 2 credit dining or shows like hoop dee doo so it’s usually worth it. Plus the 3 adults in that room end up with extra credits that they share with us & we don’t have DDP this trip. The point is that it’s all extra & still less than many destinations for 3 adults. Not including food or travel costs, the 3 adults for a week at pop with tickets is $2300. That’s less than $800 a person. Not many vacations are cheaper than that

Flights - $2300 (Chicago-Barcelona, Barcelona-Granada, Malaga-Marrakesh, Casablanca-Chicago)
Rooms - $1300
Food - $800
Misc - $1500 (ground transportation, tours, entrance fees, etc)
Total = $5900
Yeah, I was a little low. Still cheaper than WDW for 14 days at Port Orleans Riverside.

My sister and I spent $4200 for 8 nights in Spain (Seville and Madrid) last year. How'd you manage such inexpensive hotel costs? We ran about that for half the nights and we definitely did not go all out.

They will definitely chase some (many?) away. I've got an AP. If this goes into effect, I will not renew. When it becomes cheaper for me to book an all-inclusive resort in the Caribbean including airfare for my family than a trip driving to WDW, then my choice is easy! I'll be on the beach!

My sister and I spent $4200 for 8 nights in Spain (Seville and Madrid) last year. How'd you manage such inexpensive hotel costs? We ran about that for half the nights and we definitely did not go all out.
AirBnB. Barcelona is ixpensive, but was able to find a decent spot for two nights at $140 per night. Granada is much cheaper, great spot in the middle of town for $69 per night. Our rooms in Marrakesh are really cheap as we are staying in a riad, which is a converted home.

I think the point is that "it sounds like" you feel you ARE owed something.

The (to use your term) "monetization" - or raising admission prices charging more for previously free things to develop new revenue/streams goes hand in hand with the HUGE investment numbers by Disney and SUBSTANTIAL new attractions. Pandora by itslef cost $500M!

Disney has continued to pour money into the theme parks: 2014 $1.2B, 2015 $1.5B. 2016 2017 was a BIG year with $2.1B. Internationally it spent $2B (Source: Disney Annual Reports).

Those are HUGE numbers which have produced new lands, rides, shows - not to mention infrastructure investments of over $350M in roadway projects to connect it all. And all of this doesn't include projects in flight like Gondola system, SWGE.

Personally I would prefer Disney to try to generate more money by optional means where I can choose to utilize/participate or not. Better than raising admission prices where I have limited choices and flexibility. Extra after hour events, etc that I can choose to attend or not provides better flexibility.

One day Walt Disney had a vision. It was a vision of a place where children and parents could have fun together.

One day Bob Iger had a vision. It was a vision of a place where children and rich parents could have fun together. :rolleyes1
Actually Walt wanted a family-friendly place b/c carnivals & places like the boardwalk had been attracting “riff-raff”. It has to be a certain price or else it won’t stay a place families want to go. Our local theme park is an example of that...it’s closed now. I’m not saying that’s the reason it currently costs what it does. I think wdw is way beyond that price point. My reference is more about Walt wanting a place for families...that’s opposed to non family-friendly venues. It has nothing to do with affordability.

They will definitely chase some (many?) away. I've got an AP. If this goes into effect, I will not renew. When it becomes cheaper for me to book an all-inclusive resort in the Caribbean including airfare for my family than a trip driving to WDW, then my choice is easy! I'll be on the beach!
Might I suggest the Grand Cayman Islands.

Because I stopped being able to keep up with this thread a while ago ;) what are people saying about when/how this will roll out, if it comes to be? I keep hearing “before the end of the year.” I have a trip booked in early October, and have worked and reworked the budget, and will be... let’s say “less than happy” if suddenly I’m looking at less FPs, or several hundred dollars added to our trip.

Because I stopped being able to keep up with this thread a while ago ;) what are people saying about when/how this will roll out, if it comes to be? I keep hearing “before the end of the year.” I have a trip booked in early October, and have worked and reworked the budget, and will be... let’s say “less than happy” if suddenly I’m looking at less FPs, or several hundred dollars added to our trip.

I'm pretty sure we don't know anymore than the day this thread started. :rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter