Parenting Fails - what's your story?!

I was working at the University where my youngest son attended. On his graduation day, after the ceremony, he had to go return his cap and gown. I said I would go get my car and pick him up to take him home. Well, my usual workday routine kicked in. I got into the car, and drove home, completely forgetting to go to the cap-and-gown-return hall and pick up my son. Only realized it when I was about to turn onto our street. I had to drive back and get a very unhappy son who couldn't believe I had forgotten to get him. So embarrassing.

I have two teenage sons and one 12 year old daughter, so my list is long, but the most recent:

After a very long and completely unreasonable argument, my 15 year old angrily declared that he hated me, our family and I never did anything for him....

I just snapped and freakishly turned into my mother. I was screaming at the top of my lungs (with all of the windows open in the house, so I’m sure the neighbors are worried now) that if he hated his life in my house so much then he could go find a new place to live and support himself. Then I proceeded to list all of the things I was going to stop paying for: his phone, hockey, clothing and that I would be selling his PS4 and computer on eBay....then I ended my insane rant by storming out and slamming the front door of my own house.

He came out to the front porch about 20 minutes later and sat down next to me and just said, “well, that was interesting. Feel better now?” :rolleyes:

OMG, I am crying from both laughing and relief that I am not the only one who has had almost the exact same conversation with my kids! And that is pretty much the direction my rant last night took....DS12 ran upstairs when I started - he's no dummy lol and scoots out of dodge when his older siblings and I start to ramp up, and DD14 is all bark but no bite when it comes down to it, so after I was done with DS18, I took one look at her and all I had to say was "And you! I don't want to hear one word of attitude and you've got 4 more years left in this house so you better not even THINK about taking a page out of your brother's playbook!" She just nodded her head like "Ok! I got it!" lol

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Last edited:
These are great- I am laughing so hard and I really do feel better! I always tell my kids - especially the oldest who LOVES the thrill of the fight more than anything - that there is hardly a day that goes by where I don't go to bed thinking about where things went wrong and vowing to do better...stay more calm...be more patient...but I swear, sometimes it feels so isolating to be the "imperfect" parent when everyone else's life seems so nice and sweet. I think we should do this more often!

It's hard to know when they might fake or over dramatize things and you're busy. My DDs senior year, she was doing daycare at school for a class and little kids had lice. She said she thought she caught it. I looked and didn't see anything. She kept saying she swore she had it, her head was super itchy. I thought she was being paranoid. Then 3 weeks later she runs out of shower with a bug on her fingertip. It was a dang big lice and her head was full of them, like hundreds and big giant ones. It was now about 10 days before prom. I spent 2 hours a night for a week combing through her long hair (to just above her butt) and washing and cleaning things. While preparing for prom and graduation and packing for a move. And finishing softball season. It was miserable but might not have been such an infestation if I listened from the get go.

Oh geesh.

We have custody of my great-nephew, who will be 12 in a couple weeks, but he still sees his mother on the weekends. Unbeknownst to us at first, she was letting him go off with various family members and spend the night with them. He came back with lice right before Spring Break and we spent the entire spring break washing and cleaning EVERYTHING so that it didn't spread to anyone else. x6 beds, bedding, pillows, furniture, the works.

Then, last week, the night we were supposed to leave to go out of state for DS18's graduation party last Thursday, we find it on him AGAIN - his mother let him go with the same grandma where he got it before! Without telling us, of course because after last time, we said he wasn't allowed to spend the night places unless we approve it, and she clearly didn't listen.

We were supposed to stay at SIL's house and we had to cancel that and get a hotel room instead, and instead of leaving when we were supposed to, I spent until 1am shampooing and combing through Nephew's hair and DD's hair because she had layed on his bed at some point in that two weeks and I wasn't sure if I was seeing dandruff or nits on her hair and didn't want to take the chance! And we couldn't just cancel the trip- we had 75 people coming to the party!

I've spent the past week washing and cleaning everything AGAIN for the 2nd time in 3 months, and Nephew is NOT ALLOWED to spend the night ANYWHERE for now on! And my head STILL feels itchy every time I think about it.

This is a great thread. So many things I can relate to (everything really). And nice to see parents admitting failures. Not often folks do that. It really does help make you feel like you are a normal average parent and not some epic failure.

Hey listen, there's no parenting handbook. I do the best I can every single day, but that doesn't mean I always do it right.

I tend to liken my parenting as being closer to Homer Simpson than The Cosby Show or Leave it to Beaver.

OMG, I am crying from both laughing and relief that I am not the only one who has had almost the exact same conversation with my kids! And that is pretty much the direction my rant last night took....DS12 ran upstairs when I started - he's no dummy lol and scoots out of dodge when his older siblings and I start to ramp up, and DD14 is all bark but no bite when it comes down to it, so after I was done with DS18, I took one look at her and all I had to say was "And you! I don't want to hear one word of attitude and you've got 4 more years left in this house so you better not even THINK about taking a page out of your brother's playbook!" She just nodded her head like "Ok! I got it!" lol

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
I learned from #1 not to engage (after plenty of engagements). People ask me for teen advice, that’s my best advice. Ds20 never talked back, dd17 never talked back. And then came dd15 a couple of years ago, OMG it was happening again! The eye rolls the glares, the tantrums... PTSD. Thankfully it only lasted a year (unlike dd21), but many time “do not engage” went right out the window.

Not me but DH...

When we were in grad school we lived in on campus family housing, and would walk our oldest add to daycare on campus. Winter snow would often make the walk slow as the snow drifts would often be up to DD little knees. Sometimes we’d pull DD in her sled, other times she’d walk. That day she walked. DH was wondering why she was extra sluggish that day but had her speed up. It wasn’t until they were in the building that he realized why, she lost her shoe in the snow! DH dropped her at the front desk and quickly traced their steps to locate her shoe. Thankfully she was a trooper, but I felt like a bad parent once I heard the news.

Last year DD was 14 and DH was out of town for the weekend. I went out back to put something in our shed and found a dead bird laying in front of the shed door. Normally, I’d make DH pick it up. I tried to convince DD to do it to “help mommy out”...:rolleyes: she wanted no part of that. So, we played rock, paper, scissors..which I won. Helped DD put on some rubber gloves, gave her a plastic bag to tie it up in and wished her good luck!! Not one of my finer parenting moments...:P

Most recent was last night.
My ds uninvited me to his HS graduation. Then he decided he wasn’t going at all, so I told him he owes me $40 for his cap and gown then. He called me “disgusting” as he handed me the money.
Not going to lie, I really wish he was going away to college:rolleyes1
I absolutely would’ve asked for the money! Ds20 insisted on taking an AP exam I knew he wasn’t going to study for, so I let him sign up, but told him he would be paying me back if he didn’t at least a 4. He paid me back.
I would have asked for the money too.

Oh wow, gosh don't even know where to start.

I screw up way more than I wish I would, but I do at least apologize after and try to teach my kids that life isn't easy and you aren't always gonna make the right choice, but you try to do the best you can in any situation and when you don't get it right, you own up to it, make amends as best you can and move on to try again another day.

It is possible that I lose my temper more than I should, and it is also possible that I might curse when I do so. It may also be possible that I'm married to someone who never curses, ever. Ahem, so when one of my kids said something and my husband freaked out and couldn't fathom where they had heard such a word and launched into a 1/2 hour tirade about why cursing was bad at the dinner table - bless their ever loving hearts both of my kids looked at me with the widest eyes ever and didn't say a word. I mean sure they brought it up first thing the next day but still. As my mother always said "you don't have to say everything you know"

Update - continued fail. The product I spent all that time searching for? Didn’t need.

Otw home though the 2.5 year I had been searching for this product for was showing off doing abc’s and counting and we were praising him. The minute we started in with “good job” and “I’m impressed” he started belting out “we are the champions.”

I took the wrong kid home from a soccer game. His mom and I were talking by the cars and I ushered the wrong kid into my car and we drove off. THEN when his mom started calling my cell phone I saw it was her and said ugh what can she possibly want we just saw her, and then proceeded to talk about her to my husband in front of her kid until she called again in rapid succession. Worst person ever.

Don't know why I am admitting this here because I am deeply ashamed by it--I once dropped my son off at his school on a snow day. I was pregnant so I blame pregnancy brain. I realized as soon as I pulled onto our street that I had made a mistake (we lived less than 5 minutes from the school) and turned around and raced back. His very confused teacher met me at the door with him. She laughed it off but for the rest of his time at that school I avoided her like the plague.

Not my biggest, but most recent. Dropped DD12 off at a friend’s Saturday afternoon for an overnighter assuming the friend’s father would be there to keep an eye on things, when in fact he left shortly after I did to go to a music festival an hour away.

Nothing bad happened, and DD12 is home alone quite a bit. But, I was still a bit miffed he’d just leave them alone for 10 hours without asking me if I was okay with that. The kids could have just as easily come HERE.

These stories about lice, :scared::crazy2:. I told DH when I found out I was pregnant with my first that if our kids ever got lice, I'm staying in a hotel while he treats their hair and all of our belongings. In return, I clean the kids and their mess when they puke.

I have 2 parenting fails that come to mind, one for each kid. When DD was 3, she fell off the swing at her babysitter's (my aunt's) and hurt her arm. We were about to leave work anyway, so we drove the hour and a half to come get her. She apparently laid in my aunt's arms crying that whole time. I checked out her arm and saw a small cut, no swelling, and she was able to move it around, so I didn't figure it was that big of a deal, though it was weird for her to cry for so long. My brother (who lived with us at the time) called and asked if I could pick up his kids from their babysitter since he was working late. Since DD seemed okay, we agreed.

It took about 3.5 hours for us to drive to get them and come home. Meanwhile, DD just sat in her car seat, cradling her arm, and was really quiet (very unusual for her). When we got home, I saw her wince when I got her out of her seat. We took her inside and moved her arm around some more. She could move it okay and said it just hurt a little bit, but it was swollen and a little bruised.

We finally decided to take her to the ER an hour later and they did an x-ray. She didn't want to put her arm on the table, so I had to hold it there. Immediately after taking the first picture, the X-ray tech comes rushing out and pulls me to the side. She said her arm was badly fractured and not to touch her arm again. I almost broke down in tears, thinking I might have made it worse.

Then they had to take her by ambulance to a different hospital with pediatric staff to set it. DH rode in the ambulance with DD and I followed behind. I made sure they knew I had to follow and didn't know where I was going (pre-smart phone, no GPS, & new to the area). The ambulance driver starts driving like a maniac. No flashing lights, no siren, 20+ mph over the speed limit, running stop signs and red lights, almost getting into an accident TWICE when he turns left on a red light while cutting off a driver going straight. I'm freaking out, not wanting to break the law but needing to follow so I don't lose him in a bad area of town at 1 am, and worrying that his driving is going to jolt DD's broken arm and injure her worse.

We finally get to the hospital and I march inside, make sure DD is okay (she was being prepped in another room), and get right in the driver's face. I start screaming at him about how he should have his license taken away, that he needs to wipe that smug look off his face before I do it for him because he's supposed to be helping to save lives, not put them in danger, and he has no business driving like that without his lights and siren, and no need to drive like that anyway over a broken arm... I went on for a good 5 mins straight while he, a couple nurses, and DH are all standing there looking at me with jaws dropped. I ended my tirade with the threat that if he ever puts my family in danger again, he's going to need an ambulance once I get through with him. I then told him to get the h3!! outta my sight and pray he still has a job in the morning. He stumbled a quick, "I'm sorry" and hightailed it out of there.

Thankfully, the nurses seemed to understand and just led me without a word back to my DD, and didnt call security saying some crazy lady is threatening the ambulance driver. She ended up having two fractures in her arm, and the bone had broken through the skin (hence the cut), so she had to be watched closely on antibiotics all night after having her arm set, due to the infection risk.

Overall, in one day I 1) Failed to take my 3 yo to the hospital for 6 hours with a broken arm, 2) Moved her arm around several times when it was broken, likely causing her pain and maybe injuring it worse, 3) Broke numerous driving laws and could have gotten arrested or in an accident while DD was in the back of an ambulance, and 4) Could have gotten arrested for screaming at and threatening some 19 yo driver in a hospital while DD was being prepped for surgery. That was not my best day.

2nd story: I had to pick up DD from the bus stop around the corner from our house. I was sick, came out of the bathroom and left, completely forgetting about my 2 yo. I pulled back around to the house 5 mins later with DD, and my toddler was standing barefoot IN THE SNOW, in a t-shirt and shorts, by the road. He had managed to go out 4 doors and walk about 50 feet through the snow over to the road. He was fine after I warmed him up and thankfully didn't have frostbite, but I felt so terrible about it- still do.

Last year DD was 14 and DH was out of town for the weekend. I went out back to put something in our shed and found a dead bird laying in front of the shed door. Normally, I’d make DH pick it up. I tried to convince DD to do it to “help mommy out”...:rolleyes: she wanted no part of that. So, we played rock, paper, scissors..which I won. Helped DD put on some rubber gloves, gave her a plastic bag to tie it up in and wished her good luck!! Not one of my finer parenting moments...:P
At our old house raccoons would occasionally poop all over the back deck. I would pay my preteen son $5 per poop episode to clean it up :)

I am sure I have dozens but a few come to mind.

1. When yds was about two months old, I went to a family garage sale, People I knew well, thank goodness, and took yds and ods with me. As soon as we walked in the ladies wanted to hold yds. We looked around a little bit, I stopped on the way out and talked to the ladies and then walked out with ods and got in the truck. Leaving yds! Got half way home and turned around.

2. Yds again. This time he was 9. He got into a fight as school. I was furious with him when I picked him up. He kept saying his hand hurt and I kept saying “good” honestly thinking it was just bruised. Got him home, made him do his homework (and it was his right hand) and then took him to baseball practice. Finally his coach noticed him wincing when he tried to catch. Coach pulled his glove off and his hand was so swollen he had a hard time getting it off. I felt about 2 inches tall when the coach gently suggested I take him to the ER. It was broken. I felt so bad. Still mad about the fight but bad too.

3. Dd this time. When she was a baby she had the car seat that had the base that stayed in the car with the seatbelt and you could just pop the carrier part in and out. Well, I was so used to just popping it in and we took the base out to use in dh’s truck. So I was heading to work, went out and “popped” the car seat in MY car. Well as I turned out the driveway, I heard a crash i the back seat. Still and look back and ther is the car seat completely upside down with dd just hanging there! She was fine. I was a total mess.

Jeeze it’s no wonder they keep saying ods is my favorite lol.

These stories about lice, :scared::crazy2:. I told DH when I found out I was pregnant with my first that if our kids ever got lice, I'm staying in a hotel while he treats their hair and all of our belongings. In return, I clean the kids and their mess when they puke.

Tell me about it. We made it through 18 years of parenting without our kids ever having it, and our nephew brings it in twice in 3 months. He is going to live in a bubble for now on! lol I am NOT doing this again!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter