Parenting trends you dislike?

Lol, me too. And in a football stadium (hand pump), and the back of a taxi once. No one even noticed.

Yes, the middle of the night feedings were def a factor for me. Being able to roll over and grab them and nurse in bed vs getting up to make a bottle... Tho that was largely off set by the pain in the butt of pumping at work. But I had a hands free bra and could mostly still work while I was doing it.

The polar opposite of helicopter parenting. I aim to be somewhere in between the 2. Sometimes I fail miserably lol

I do think that bf advocates forget to tell moms how HARD it is and how much time you'll spend pumping if you work. They fail to tell you that you might really struggle to make enough milk. While its pushed to bf, peds don't check for tongue ties and lip ties that can make it incredibly painful for mom and inhibit proper latching and milk production. My youngest had a tongue tie and I had to throw a fit to get it checked and cut. So just like the PP said that there isn't full disclosure about the benefits of bf over formula, there also isn't full disclosure about how hard it is. They make it seem like you'll just pop a baby out and nature will take over and everything will be fine. Not going to lie, with my 1st I only planned to bf until I went back to work. Before he was born some jerk at work told me I'd never be able to do it bc his wife couldn't and she essentially was better than me. Well that made my stubborn nature kick in lol. There were prob 100 times I wanted to quit in those 1st weeks. When my milk didn't come in for 3 days, when I was bleeding and sore, when he was attached to me what felt like 24/7.... But I didn't bc of that one comment lol. Then it was well I made it this far, lets try for 6 months. Ended up making it about 15 months. Pumping was a nightmare bc I barely made enough for him for the next day at daycare, but we made it. DS2, well, he had the painful tongue tie. But we got it cut at 3 weeks and it was smooth sailing after that. But everyones experience is different and for anyone to say "everyone can bf" is ridiculous. I absolutely encourage people to try, but I also know it's not everyones cup of tea.

I absolutely feel like new moms do not get the information that they need. I have heard other moms say that their doctor intentionally did not tell them things so they didn't "worry". I am in the camp that it is better to have more information then less. Stop treating woman as if we can't handle the reality of things. What century are we living in? And I agree that not everyone can BF and that we are lucky that there is something like formula available for these babies. My issue is more the lack of, or wrong information.

It’s funny that free range parenting would be thought of as a new parenting trend. Basically as someone else said it’s how almost all kids were raised prior to the 90s. Since that time parents have become so incredibly over protective and fearful that they have significantly reduced the experiences their children are allowed to have. Free range parenting came about in the early 2000s as a way of parents saying this is nuts we’re going back to the old way. My kids were born in 2002 and 2003 and I used free range parenting. I think I first heard of it as an official thing when they were maybe 5/6??

Starting with the 24/7 news cycles in the 90s parents began to hear horror stories of remote isolated incidents happening to children and became irrationally fearful of what if it were my kid. Suddenly kids couldn’t play outside by themselves for fear of abduction. Overwhelming fear of every extreme thing that had the smallest most remote chance of actually happening began to be seen as a real threat lurking right outside their own door waiting for their child. Rational thinking and good risk assessment went out the door and was replaced by the overwhelming emotion of but what if it was my kid, how could I ever live with myself if it was my kid. As a result over the past 30 years or so many children have grown up severely stunted by never being allowed the freedom to gain some confidence by being allowed any responsibility. Parents have taken over every activity that should be child led. Kids don’t learn how to problem solve, the parents or other adults are always overseeing every activity and serving as referee solving all problems.

Free range kids is parents who give their kids more freedom and responsibility. Responsibility is key. I have know a few completely disinterested parents who don’t know or care what their kids are doing and the kids just run wild. That is not free range parenting.

We were letting our girls walk to school since it was in our neighborhood, but then 3 times in under 2 years, men tried to lure young girls into their cars. We live in a really nice area so I don't think it matters where you are. The fear is real because these people are out there.

Those people need to find a new doctor, that's actually horrifying.

Oh, I agree. But I think that this is much more common then we think. Just reading some of the other stories of how their doctor's dismissed them. Sadly, many doctors treat woman horribly. I was lucky and had an amazing OBGYN. She was very much straight forward with information but I know that some woman didn't like her because of it, strangely.

It’s funny, because when I was growing up, the Women’s Movement, which I was completely in favor of, was about women being able to make choices for themselves, and those choices being respected. I hope that is still the case today.
Yes, and tolerance was the civil contract under which we'd all live quietly and at peace with one another regardless of our (non-harmful) life choices, creeds or ideologies. Now everything is black/white (in the sense of absolutes), good/bad, us/them, acceptable/deplorable. Even something as seemingly innocuous as breast-feeding. :sad1:
My oldest nursed 14-18 hours a day for the first few months. I didn’t pump at all (didn’t even own a pump), because the last thing I wanted to do after hours of nursing was hook a machine to me and do it some more. Of course, this meant that my husband couldn’t help with feedings so a disproportionate share of the childcare fell to me and I could never be away from my baby for more than an hour or so his first year of life.

Quick science lesson for anyone who needs a refresher: The hormone that aides in lactation, prolactin, also suppresses other hormones like estrogen and progesterone. Hormones play a role in just about everything your body does, so having them out of whack can cause a whole host of issues. I was a mental and physical disaster while breastfeeding. I was riddled with anxiety 24/7, I had electrical shock sensations shooting through my body, constant muscle spasms and twitches, and chronic joint pain so severe that some days trying to hold a coffee cup would put me into tears. (This is the abbreviated list of symptoms because we don’t have all day.) I had mastitis 19 times. Have you ever tried to take care of a two week old newborn by yourself (husband at work, no other family) while delirious with a 104.6* fever? Not fun. The breastfeeding suppressed my hormones to the point that my cycles didn’t return for more than a year and a half postpartum, which is kind of a problem when you were hoping to have another kid soon after the first.

At least my son got the benefits of breastfeeding though, right? Sure, there’s that, but I also think it had some downsides for him, too. Namely, he became the world’s clingiest baby. Some of that could just be his natural personality, but I have to believe having me be his one and only food source, his sole means of survival, had to have played a part in creating that. The only place he was ever content was in my arms. Not in the same room, not sitting next to me — in my arms. Which, again, put a disproportionate amount of the childcare onto one person. I had to hold him while he slept, I had to hold him while I cooked, while I cleaned, I took him into the shower with me… He had absolutely no ability to be independent for even a few seconds without panicking. It was relentless. I always say I’m surprised he ever learned to walk with as little as his feet ever touched the ground for the first year and a half. If that’s the “bonding” that comes from breastfeeding then I wouldn’t say it’s a healthy bond. He was bonded with his father, as in, this is a guy I like to be around. I existed more as a pair of boobs to him, though. His relationship with me was one of need and he was terrified if his lifeline was ever out of reach.

He nursed for 2 years and 7 months, mostly because I didn’t know how to make it stop. :laughing: He was very attached to nursing and I didn’t want to abruptly cut him off and turn it into some traumatizing event for him, so it went on way longer than I ever intended. By the time he was two I was so over it. It finally stopped when my milk dried up during my pregnancy with his younger brother.

So what did I do five months later when the next one was born? Well, I nursed him too, but I took a different approach. I supplemented with formula 50% of the time in the hopes that reducing the amount of breastfeeding would help my hormones stabilize better. It made a world of difference. I wasn’t consumed by pain and anxiety. I only had mastitis once. He self-weaned at four months in favor of the bottle and I was perfectly fine with that. My husband was able to be more hands-on which took a lot of the load off of me. My second son was so much less demanding and more independent. Again, I know personality plays a role, but not having to keep a constant eye on his sole food source probably helped him feel calmer, too.

So, why does no one ever talk about the negative aspects of breastfeeding? This is what irritates me about these hardcore breastfeeding advocates. They pretend to be all about educating women but they conveniently only focus on the (sometimes dubious) benefits that it provides to the child. They conveniently ignore the drawbacks and the mother’s wellbeing is absent from the conversation all together. Why aren’t they upfront about the connection between breastfeeding and PPD/PPA and all the other awful symptoms that hormone imbalances can cause? At least I knew what was happening to me because I’d dealt with hormonal issues before. My heart breaks when I think about how many women struggle with postpartum depression, possibly as a danger to themselves or their baby, and are given pills to alter their brain chemistry yet no one bothers to say “Hey, you might want to reconsider breastfeeding. There’s a link here.”

I’d have a lot more respect for the breastfeeding advocates if they advocated in an honest way and took a moderate approach, educating women on the big picture and telling them it doesn’t have to be all or nothing. Instead, they talk about “nipple confusion” and act like a single bottle of formula is going to send your child down a degenerate life path. Yes, you must nurse day and night at the expense of everything else, for at least the first year, in a society that doesn’t even offer the minimal support of paid maternity leave. And if you can’t, well that’s your choice and I’m sorry you don’t love your baby enough to do what’s best for them. Hopefully they won’t be too sickly. :rolleyes2
:hug:

I didn't realize breast feeding was such an emotionally charged issue.
It really is and I think that's the core issue with any of these types of discussions. Because people are so emotionally charged, I think many read more judgement and negativity into every little thing that someone else says even when they have absolutely no intent and don't really feel that way. Even in this thread several people have responded about anyone who did breastfeed as if that person was "looking for a medal" or "thinks they're a better mom". Just because someone made a different choice than you, does not mean that they think they are better than you.

I breastfed... a lot. Several years of my life were spent breastfeeding. My middle child was tiny and was basically attached to my breast 24/7 (while grocery shopping, while hiking, while doing dishes, pretty sure I've even fed while mowing the lawn). I breastfed through almost an entire pregnancy and intended to tandem feed. I breastfed my youngest until he was 2.5. I certainly don't think any of those things make me a better mom; they're just my personal experience.

People (including my own sisters) have made assumptions that I was/would be judgmental about other's not breastfeeding simply because I breastfed. They fully acknowledged that I have never said ANYTHING shaming or disparaging about others not breastfeeding for any reason, but because it's such an emotional issue they made assumptions because they were feeling guilt.

I truly do not care at all if others choose to breastfeed or not. I recognize that there are many valid reasons(mental health, emotional, convenience, etc) for women to not breastfeed other than because they "can't". Not only do I have no judgement, but I will even freely tell others that two major factors of my decision to breastfeed (especially with my second and third) were because I am lazy and cheap. If anything, I think that's a judgement of myself for choosing to bf, not others for choosing not to. I give a lot of credit to formula parents because it is so much work-- making sure you have supplies every time you go out, all that extra washing, and the time spent preparing/warming the bottles.

I wish my DMom was still with us to ask, but I was adopted as a newborn in 1966. While commercial formula may have been available by then, it was standard for mothers unable to nurse to feed with a homemade combination of whole goat's milk and other things I'm not aware of.
My husband was fed goat's milk. When his mom had issues with breastfeeding at a few weeks, his grandpa went out and bought a goat so they could have fresh milk to feed him.

When my first was born my milk didn't come in for a few days and I really wasn't sure I was feeding her enough. She screamed so much. I was such a mess trying to take care of her "the right way". The lactation consultant (who the hospital provided to all mothers regardless of never requesting one) had drilled into my head that if I gave her a bottle then she'd never nurse and how horrible that would be because breast milk is best. Once you say those words "yes I'd like to breast feed" to them then that is all that matters in their eyes. They won't tell you that it's OK if it doesn't work, they tell you you have to keep at it because it's the best thing for your baby and you. I think she came in 100 times in the hospital room those 2 days to make sure I was doing what I had "promised" to do. I don't think they cared one bit about the baby, it felt like they were just happy to have another recruit for their BF advocacy army.
That is certainly not always the case. Not everyone pushes breastfeeding.

I had the exact opposite experience with my first. I was determined to breastfeed, but was having issues and no one would help me. The nurses just kept coming in my room the entire night trying to coerce me into giving her a bottle. They were extremely rude and actually told me I was being a "bad mom" and didn't care about my child. In the following months, I got mastitis multiple times. No offer of any support from the OB office with breastfeeding. They just told me every time I came in for a check-up, "You really should just quit breastfeeding. Don't you think this is kind of pointless? Why are you even bothering to doing this?"

With my second, the pediatrician told me I should just give her formula because she dropped off a bit on the growth chart.
My doctor told me I should quit breastfeeding because I had post-partum depression.
Both of my sisters were also told by their doctors to not bother with breastfeeding when they had issues.

These were not last resort "breast is best" but if you absolutely can't then it's okay. These were all immediate suggestions when they were aware that the mom wanted to breastfeed if possible.

People (including my own sisters) have made assumptions that I was/would be judgmental about other's not breastfeeding simply because I breastfed. They fully acknowledged that I have never said ANYTHING shaming or disparaging about others not breastfeeding for any reason, but because it's such an emotional issue they made assumptions because they were feeling guilt.
This made me wonder something. Do all, or most, mothers feel guilt if they don’t breastfeed?

For the record, I did not.

Reactions: slo

I did not feel guilty for not breastfeeding my oldest. Three weeks after she was born I landed back in the hospital with life threatening post partum complications. I was on ALL the happy drugs and couldn't nurse her and wasn't lucid enough to pump enough to keep my supply up so it dried up. I tried for months to get it back but it just didn't work. I wish I had been able to but I didn't feel guilty because I couldn't.

We were letting our girls walk to school since it was in our neighborhood, but then 3 times in under 2 years, men tried to lure young girls into their cars. We live in a really nice area so I don't think it matters where you are. The fear is real because these people are out there.

Yes but to be honest these people were out there in the 70's and 80's as well. I walked to school everyday from 1st to 8th grade with a friend. It was 3 blocks from my house. I was approached by men at least 3 times, one flashed me. I was taught to never leave the sidewalk and I reported the incident to school or my mom when I came home. The adults would contact the police and I would answer their questions. I live in a very middle class neighborhood and still live here today. My own children were allowed to walk to school as well and did not have any issues.

Yes but to be honest these people were out there in the 70's and 80's as well. I walked to school everyday from 1st to 8th grade with a friend. It was 3 blocks from my house. I was approached by men at least 3 times, one flashed me. I was taught to never leave the sidewalk and I reported the incident to school or my mom when I came home. The adults would contact the police and I would answer their questions. I live in a very middle class neighborhood and still live here today. My own children were allowed to walk to school as well and did not have any issues.
This. Research repeatedly shows that kids are in LESS danger today than they were in the 70s and 80s, but there wasn't social media back then hyping everyone up all the time. I have no doubt that the incidents the OP mentioned were real, but so were yours back then and so were the similar experiences I had in the 80s and 90s. We can't wrap kids in protective shells, we have to teach them how to handle scary experiences.

I grew up in the 70s too and spent my whole childhood outside, riding my bike, going to the park, the pool, etc and not once did I have anyone bother me at all. I don't ever remember anyone else that I grew up with having that issue either. Idk why some places seem to have more of an issue then others.

I grew up in the 70s too and spent my whole childhood outside, riding my bike, going to the park, the pool, etc and not once did I have anyone bother me at all. I don't ever remember anyone else that I grew up with having that issue either. Idk why some places seem to have more of an issue then others.
Because it's random and incredibly rare. Most people will never have an issue. Of those who do, the vast majority will be a momentary inappropriate interaction that's over with fast, especially if the child has been taught how to react. Only an infinitesimal number ever turn into anything serious, but those incidents grab headlines and scare parents to death.

This!!! It never occured to me until a couple of years ago that BF and my PPD might be linked. Of course it didn't help that my dr blew me off with "it's just hormones. it'll go away" So I just spent that 1st year thinking I sucked at being a mom and everything else. 2nd kid was a totally different experience which was both awesome and sad. I was so happy that I didn't experince PPD that go around, but sad bc I'd had my tubes tied when he was born. I was willing to go thru all of that twice but not 3 times. Had I known it wasn't normal to feel like that, I might not have gotten my tubes tied. But I was 35 by then so idk if I'd have gone for a 3rd anyway. I wish mr dr had taken me seriously when I said what was going on. I'd cry every single time I nursed him for the 1st month. There wasn't any thing I was upset about, just a sudden feeling of doom like "I can't possibly take care of this child" And even that was blown off.

Thanks for sharing this. I left a 😍 response but really mean :hug:

This made me wonder something. Do all, or most, mothers feel guilt if they don’t breastfeed?

For the record, I did not.
I did with my first. Because nobody told me it could be hard or that it may not work. I felt like I had failed at my first job in being a mother. BUT after that doctor’s appt I talked about, I switched to formula and never looked back. My daughter finally had the mom she deserved.

I tried with the next two, but felt zero guilt when it didn’t work. And went in so confident in my decisions with #4 that my midwife made it clear to all the nurses to respect my wishes without comment.

ETA: I feel zero guilt now for any of them.

People who have obese and overweight children who do not take any responsibility for it. I am not talking about if their teen becomes over weight, yo can not usually control what teens eat.
Just bc I like to argue. what about babies? Bc my youngest was 26 lbs at 6 months and he was strictly breastfed, and bf babies don't overeat. He's consistently been at 99% for weight and height. at 7 he's about 97 lbs. He has a fitbit and gets 15-20k steps a day so he's very active and wrestles and plays football and eats the exact same diet as my 10 yr old who is 73 lbs. So it's not bc I let him sit around and be lazy, and it's not because I let him overeat or eat junk.

He's consistently been at 99% for weight and height. at 7 he's about 97 lbs.
But if he’s 99% for both weight and height, that would mean that his weight is proportional for his height so he would not be obese/high BMI.

We tend to grow very fast in my family so we were always off the charts. I’m sure my brother was 97lb+ at age 7, but he was also taller than his first grade teacher.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter